• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Computex 2024 Architecture Thread. Lunar Lake. Arc Battlemage. Lion Cove (P-Core) Skymont (E-Core)

SolidQ

their official slides makes me not wanna buy anything from them.
Lion Cove vs Redwood Cove +14%
IPCSkymont vs Crestmont +38%
IPCSkymont vs Crestmont LP +68%
IPCSkymont vs Raptor Cove +2% IPC

2% vs Raptor

SolidQ

And vs a 5800X3D?
no info yet

Intel Xe2 GPUs Official: 50% Performance Uplift, New Ray Tracing Cores, Coming To Lunar Lake First & Battlemage Discrete Cards Later
4bb884f7cda5ec092d1f69afae1770de.png

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
no info yet
Ok. Again. I don't doubt that they have cool numbers to show, like always, it's just that specific usage of "μArch" for microarchitecture on their official slides makes me not wanna buy anything from them.

winjer

Clock regression, no HT. Should be around 5-8% ipc

But Lion Core on Lunar Lake is not Lion Core on Arrow Lake.
It kinda makes sense to remove SMT in a mobile part, as it saves ~5-10% transistors per core. And ~20% power.
Especially considering that Intel already has E-cores.
On servers, it's confirmed that Intel will keep SMT, as this helps a lot with server loads.
On desktops it's a mystery on what Intel will do.

Edit: Another advantage that removing SMT has, is that it can simplify the Thread Director.
Previously, it had to deal with an hierarchy of P-cores -> E-Cores -> SMT Thread.
Now, it only has to deal with the 2 first ones.

On the other hand, Intel has widened several stages on the CPU pipeline, be it on the frontend and backend.
So this can result on more unused stages. Which would benefit from having SMT.

Last edited:

winjer

BTW, did anyone else notice that Intel is the first to support H.266 (VVC) for decode. No encode yet.
And it seems they will be the first to do so, before Nvidia and AMD.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Now tell us about TDP or go bust. Also, good luck with memory package on mobile, this is pure cancer.

I'm rooting for Battlemage because Nvidia is a fat lazy cat, but Intel will find a way to ef it up eventually.

winjer

Now tell us about TDP or go bust. Also, good luck with memory package on mobile, this is pure cancer.

I'm rooting for Battlemage because Nvidia is a fat lazy cat, but Intel will find a way to ef it up eventually.

Intel is using TSMC N3B and N6 for it's chiplets. So power usage should be good.

Yes, the memory package limits upgradability. But on mobile, few people do that.
So it's a problem, but not a huge one. On the other hand, it should lower memory latency a bit.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Bought 7 shares this morning (little to no $USD avail in my account). At that price Intel is undervalued I believe.

Bry0

This looks really nice. Rooting for intel. More quality products and more competition is good. I never want to go through another 2012-2017 period of stagnant market leadership again, no matter who that leader is. Skymont and xe2 in particular look like great improvements, reviews will be interesting later this year.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Lunar Lake does look interesting. If they can deliver even 85% of the power efficiency gains of the WoA chips like the X Elite, will people bother switching? Intel's work here is defending the x86 marketshare.

Could get even harder next year when this guy makes a WoA chip
ncuv39gakk4d1.jpeg

Ironbunny

From the keynote it seems 2025 is the year for something worthwhile as their own 3nm kicks in. 2024 wont be anything impactful.

winjer

Intel's confirmation comes just days after Taiwanese publication Digitimes reported a delay in the shipping date for the Lunar Lake lineup. In a statement refuting the claim, Intel told Chinese tech site Benchlife that its upcoming AI processors have "not been delayed" and that they will start shipping in Q3, targeting the Holiday season.

Lunar Lake-powered laptops are expected to be unveiled between the 17th and 24th of September, and they will reportedly go on sale by the 25th. Intel will host its "Innovation" event on September 24, so it remains to be seen if the company will show off its new processors on that day.

Intel is also expected to launch the first batch of Arrow Lake-S desktop CPUs in October before releasing more SKUs early next year. According to rumors, the initial launch will include the K-series unlocked chips, while the locked non-K units are likely to land next year. Arrow Lake will require new Z890 motherboards, which are also expected to arrive this October alongside the new processors.

Top Bottom