• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2024. 240 Hz OLEDs, PCI-Gen5, Path Tracing & Ray Reconstruction.

Nankatsu

Please don't use UserBenchmark. That site is complete trash.

The reason why it says it is not compatible, is because that motherboard uses DDR5. Not DDR4.
Since you are going with a 7800X3D, a 6000 Mbps kit is enough.

Also, I would for that price of GPU, I would rather go with a 4070 Super. It costs around 650€
Has lower performance in rasterization. But superior performance in ray-tracing. And it has DLSS, the best upscaler in the market. And has lower power usage.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to gather up the prices for each component on Amazon business in order to see the final price.

The monitor you suggest for example I can snag it for 315 € with free shipping 😁

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Assuming AMD talks all about Zen 5 at computex next week, when do you think they would launch? This fall is more likely than the end of the month, right?

edit: nevermind, I see they're rumored to be out sometime in July

Last edited:

Nankatsu

So I've come up with this build, considering mostly the opinions I got around here and after also talking with some friends that are more up to date with the hardware market.

What do you guys think? Would you change anything? I'm stretching myself a bit probably, because I'm way off my 1000 € PC mark.

Through Amazon business the current cost for this build sits around 1559 €.

I could get it lower if I bought the monitor later down the road, which would dropped the total value to something like 1220 €. Still 220 € off-target.

Where could I cut more without making the build worse?

Also, I still don't have any idea about the case though.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So I've come up with this build, considering mostly the opinions I got around here and after also talking with some friends that are more up to date with the hardware market.

What do you guys think? Would you change anything? I'm stretching myself a bit probably, because I'm way off my 1000 € PC mark.

Through Amazon business the current cost for this build sits around 1559 €.

I could get it lower if I bought the monitor later down the road, which would dropped the total value to something like 1220 €. Still 220 € off-target.

Where could I cut more without making the build worse?

Also, I still don't have any idea about the case though.

Any suggestions?

How soon are you hoping to build? If you wait a month, the new AMD CPUs will be out and you could either opt for one of those or get the 7800X3D for a likely cheaper price.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

How soon are you hoping to build? If you wait a month, the new AMD CPUs will be out and you could either opt for one of those or get the 7800X3D for a likely cheaper price.
It's doable yeah. I'm aiming to build the PC during summer, likely between July-August.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Update on PC build:

I've switched the CPU and Storage a bit, in order to fix the budget at 1500€ with a monitor already included, which will probably be an AOC Q27G3XMN 27.0" 2560 x 1440 180 Hz, putting the curved one aside.

I was also checking the 7800 XT vs 7900 GRE, but from what I could gather the 7900 GRE has the upperhand so, let's leave it at that.

The build is probably pretty much finished. Won't buy right away, so probably, if I'm lucky, some things decrease prices until then.

Last edited:

amigastar

Just bought myself a monitor for 130 bucks. Full HD (yeah i know but still) Just wanted to share with you cause i'm really curious and excited about the monitor. IPS Panel, lets see how it fares against my Eizo 350 bucks monitor.
Just a question if i have a 165HZ monitor and lets say i only reach 120 fps will the experience be inferior or still better than on a 60hz monitor?

aoc-24g2spae-gaming-165hz-ips-monitor-238-1920x1080-169-300cdm2-1ms-vga2xhdmidisplayport-hangszoro_87840391_1200x630.jpg

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Guys, help me out here:

How exactly should I setup my fans if I'm running a double tower air cooler?

I've seen some opinions where top fans shouldn't be use, while on the other and I've seen other opinions that say the exact opposite.

I'm about to buy a Fractal North case and was thinking of doing the following fan setup:

x3 120 mm fans at front
x2 120 mm fans at top
x1 120 fan at the back

This, paired with a Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, mounted on a Ryzen 5 7600X, paired with a 7900 GRE.

Am I thinking correctly or not?

Last edited:

winjer

Guys, help me out here:

I've seen some opinions where top fans shouldn't be use, while on the other and I've seen other opinions that say the exact opposite.

I'm about to buy a Fractal North case and was thinking of doing the following fan setup:

x3 120 mm fans at front
x2 120 mm fans at top
x1 120 fan at the back

This, paired with a Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, mounted on a Ryzen 5 7600X, paired with a 7900 GRE.

Fans at the top extracting.
Fans at the front intaking air.
Fan at the back extracting.

Guys, help me out here:

x3 120 mm fans at front
x2 120 mm fans at top
x1 120 fan at the back

I had better luck with front fans and top fans intake with my Noctua dh15. The exhaust on top actually increased temps by 2 degrees. Although, I didn't see a difference between two fans intake and no fans at all up top. At least on the cpu. There might've been a couple of degrees cooler on VRMS or something. Of course I just left the top fans as intake. This was on a Corsair 5000D converted to airflow.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I had better luck with front fans and top fans intake with my Noctua dh15. The exhaust on top actually increased temps by 2 degrees. Although, I didn't see a difference between two fans intake and no fans at all up top. At least on the cpu. There might've been a couple of degrees cooler on VRMS or something. Of course I just left the top fans as intake. This was on a Corsair 5000D converted to airflow.
Top fans intake? Wouldn't that also push back the hot air from the CPU back to the CPU again?

Top fans intake? Wouldn't that also push back the hot air from the CPU back to the CPU again?

Convection doesn't work the same in high air turbulence. Good way to increase dust in your case tho. As I'm finding out. That was the result of my experiment. Yours could be different. IDK. Silverstone used to have a write-up about how it was better to have top fans as intake as well when having front intake fans and a tower cooler. Can't find it tho.

Nankatsu

Convection doesn't work the same in high air turbulence. Good way to increase dust in your case tho. As I'm finding out. That was the result of my experiment. Yours could be different. IDK. Silverstone used to have a write-up about how it was better to have top fans as intake as well when having front intake fans and a tower cooler. Can't find it tho.

I've come across this video from Linus:

Each case is one specific environment, but judging by this it seems a large dual tower cooler is actually better on it's own rather than having top fans, either has intake or exhaust.

For aesthetics I would like my build to have fans at the top though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I've come across this video from Linus:

Each case is one specific environment, but judging by this it seems a large dual tower cooler is actually better on it's own rather than having top fans, either has intake or exhaust.

For aesthetics I would like my build to have fans at the top though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That was similar to mine as well. No difference in no fans up top and intake. The only difference is more dust with intake. With exhaust, higher temps. That was with cpu temps of course. Like I said, I didn't monitor vrm or other temps since was cool as the other side of the pillow anyways.

Last edited:

hinch7

Guys, help me out here:

x3 120 mm fans at front
x2 120 mm fans at top
x1 120 fan at the back

HSF should be facing towards the back. Stock configuration should be enough. Perhaps add a single 120mm at the back and 3 120mm's front. Adding more at the top will add turbulance and noise without much benefit, if at all. Adding more out-take fans also increases negative pressure, pulling in more dust in the system and dust can get in through the top.

PS120/SE is quieter and performs identically to the EVO. I'd go with the standard one for aesthetics.

And maybe wait for Noctua's next generation fans which are said to be an improvement over curent ones if wanting a more quieter system. Rumored to release Q1, next year.

Last edited:

Astray

Guys, help me out here:

x3 120 mm fans at front
x2 120 mm fans at top
x1 120 fan at the back

I'd just skip the top fan mounts and go for a front to back flow myself.

Focus on managing the fan speeds, turbulence can be a mofo in that case.

DaGwaphics

Anyone that needs an upgrade at CPU but doesn't require the latest and greatest, this might be the best moment you'll see in a while. AMD and Intel literally giving away the older chips like the 5600 and 12400f/12600kf, which are still capable if you aren't looking for super high framerates.

Top Bottom