• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel to Improve CPU IPC with a new architecture every year for the next 3 years.

martino

Same, in theory there are already next-gen ready CPUs on the market, but how they will perform in practice in 2021 and beyond with PS5/XBX based games is a huge unknown.

my plan is to invest on a platform with ddr5 and pcie 5.0.
the wait will be hard with a 7700k

ZywyPL

Banned

I don't think I'll be able to hold on for so long, some fast DDR4 and PCIE4 should do the job, CPU and GPU is what I'm mostly curious about.

Kenpachii

AMD has mobile chips beating Intel's desktop, dude. Check what Renoir can do.

Intel is not using 10nm for desktop as they cannot push clock high enough. AMD compensates for it with higher IPC.

AMD Mobile isn't beating intel's desktop lineup.

Intel expects to be on 2 year cadence with its manufacturing process node technology, starting with 10nm in 2019 and moving to 7nm EUV in 2021, then a fundamental new node in each of 2023, 2025, 2027, 2029. This final node is what ASML has dubbed '1.4nm'

As ryzen can't keep up with 14nm intel already today imagine when intel moves to 7nm. the 7nm 9900k will be basically the new 2500k.

Good plan because this is what u have now.

839d39875810f53eaeabb74531d4a6ff.png

There is absolute no reason to upgrade even remotely if you got a 7700k unless u need the more cores specifically.
I would say just oc it.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
intel does have some keen interest in everything that is from israel to the point that they blew 15 billion dollars on
israeli company called mobileye .. turns out that buying this company was a terrible idea . Their self- driving tech
sucks and is being outclassed by open source stuff .. the company is worthless ..

I suppose Elon Mask was spending money on incorporating Mobileye into Tesla just because of...reasons? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

martino

AMD Mobile isn't beating intel's desktop lineup.

As ryzen can't keep up with 14nm intel already today imagine when intel moves to 7nm. the 7nm 9900k will be basically the new 2500k.

Good plan because this is what u have now.

839d39875810f53eaeabb74531d4a6ff.png

There is absolute no reason to upgrade even remotely if you got a 7700k unless u need the more cores specifically.
I would say just oc it.
nothing is not oc in my rig !

Shin

Banned
Your flawedI. I troll stipid blind/rabid AMD fanboys for fun because they are delusional and are easy targets.
stupid Intel/Nvidia fanboys fanboys on this forum are slim to none.
those with limited perception.
Any reasonable person who actually communicates with me knows I'm not a fanboy.

That is what they call being delusional, how many times must it be repeated before it gets through you?
So much failure in one post - congrats you've proved and reaffirmed the points I've previously made.

Still on that straw-man?
The irony about this quote is that you speak of communication, yet lack the ability to do so and is limited to the above.

For the last time, you created an argument where there was none. I asked a simple question
Since you're still being unreasonable and ridiculous with no signs of stopping, you're now ignored..
The argument was brought to me by a delusional fanboy that time and again goes great lengths to tell us poorly educated and misinformed peasants of how great the mighty Intel is since we are incapable of thinking for ourselves.
That is a direct insult to our intelligence, only a low expectation of a human being would put in that amount of effort for a company they potentially have no stocks in, even then they are still far beyond help.
I would ignore as well if I lost the argument, then again and to repeat myself you never had one to begin with; me - Intel needs to move to 7nm for real progress; You: 10nm is great they don't need it and mops the floor with AMD.

CobraXT

Banned
I suppose Elon Mask was spending money on incorporating Mobileye into Tesla just because of...reasons? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tesla original autopilot was by mobileye and they wanted to push mobileye partnership into self driving .. mobileye was hesitant and didn’t think their tech should be used that way and broke off from tesla ..

either way mobile eye was OVER EVALUATED by a factor of 40+ .. the company was worth less than 300 million ! so yeah intel pretty much blew 15 billion .. rumor has it that intel jewish ceo had profited from this shady dumb deal

Last edited:

Leonidas

JUST WAIT and make sure not to buy any AMD products in the meantime. Intel CPU and GPU superpower 2020 2021 2022 coming soon. Please understand.

No one's telling anyone to wait. Great products available today from all companies. Intel with the fastest gaming CPUs and Nvidia with the fastest gaming GPUs with AMD having good options in both areas as well.

Last edited:
I'll upgrade to Zen 3 in the fall, I can't wait 2 more years for Intel to maybe get their shit together. Currently sitting on a non-K 4 core 4 thread old ass Intel CPU (which has surprisingly decent performance in most games).

Last edited:

SScorpio

The IPC gains are good but not mind blowing. The percentages are all off Skylake which is a five year old architecture.

It's a 18%, 6%, 20%, 20% release over release gain.

If there were yearly 5% gains after eight years you would be at almost 160% versus the 180%.

It's great AMD has gotten Intel to stop releasing the same thing for the last five years.

FireFly

The IPC gains are good but not mind blowing. The percentages are all off Skylake which is a five year old architecture.

It's a 18%, 6%, 20%, 20% release over release gain.

If there were yearly 5% gains after eight years you would be at almost 160% versus the 180%.

It's great AMD has gotten Intel to stop releasing the same thing for the last five years.
Right, and the gains in the first two revisions are eaten up by the lower clock speeds on 10 nm. So basically you have two 20% increases over a 2-3 year period, which is roughly where AMD is expected to be anyway, if they can get out Zen 5 on a similar timeframe.

Edit: though it depends what their clockspeeds on 7nm will be like vs AMD on 5nm.

Last edited:
I think intel has a good road map in integrating Wifi6, 5G, and Thunderbolt, but AMD despite having good processors has not done a good job of doing that. I am probably wrong on this.

My next PC/laptop has to have: DDR5, PCIE 5.0, USB 4.0, Wifi6, 5G. I know that wont be until late 2021, early 2022, but that will be a good start for me personally.

SScorpio

I think intel has a good road map in integrating Wifi6, 5G, and Thunderbolt, but AMD despite having good processors has not done a good job of doing that. I am probably wrong on this.

My next PC/laptop has to have: DDR5, PCIE 5.0, USB 4.0, Wifi6, 5G. I know that wont be until late 2021, early 2022, but that will be a good start for me personally.

My year old x570 board has WiFi 6, same with PCIe 4.0 and USB 3.2 Gen 2. Intel hasn't released PCIe 4.0 yet. It's possible Zen 3 will support DDR5. While USB4 and 5G work just fine as add-ons connected to the PCIe bus.

I'm not sure PCIe 5.0 will be out yet. Currently only NVMe drives use PCIe 4.0. And new GPUs this fall should also be 4.0.

-YFC-

That is nice if it's true. It's so awesome now that AMD is competitive with Intel after all these years. Competition is awesome for the consumer.

Leonidas

Intel Rocket Lake is the first new architecture not based on Skylake. This is an important launch for Intel, as it brings much-needed change to the CPU market...

The Rocket Lake-S series will be supported by already launched Intel 400-series motherboards. Manufacturers struggled to tell us that their motherboards will support PCI-Express Gen 4.0 despite the fact that Comet Lake does not support it. What they meant to tell is that their motherboards are Rocket Lake-S ready, because new series will support the newer generation interface.

Rocket Lake is assumed to be Willow Cove (+25% IPC Rumor)
Engineering Sample boosts to 4.3

25% IPC combined with PCIe Gen4 and extra PCIe lanes along with Xe Graphics could make this an interesting release. Can't wait to see where final clocks land and how high clocks can realistically be pushed.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm not, I'm a performance fan first and foremost.

Good thing I'm not a fanboy, I'm not easily blinded by things, unlike you who went half a day with a stupid straw-man argument.
That's why you're a joke around here, even among moderators - do remain delusional it has proven to be quite the enjoyment.
You're a fan of performance but goes great length as to why a node shrink is important, how hypocritical do you want to get?
How many CPU's have you not changed during the course of your PC life, where they all on the same node - surely the architectural gains could have kept you within the same series/line up?

Since you still don't get the phase you're in, i'll tell it to your face - you lost this argument before it even started that is what blind fanboyism does.
Yet you aren't man enough to apologize or even man up, instead you're backed in a corner and keep repeating yourself like a broken clock - 6th post that goes on about "straw-man".
They call that being loss of words, it occurs when somewhat was smacked so hard that they lost direction, perhaps you lost direction long before our exchange, your post history reflects that much at least.
Now keep tickling my ass and giving me more fuel, you have about 1 hour and the whole world wide web to come up with something smart so go crazy - I'm off to do groceries.

OT: I hope WCCFTech article turns out to be bullshit like some of their other so-called exclusives and well sources info from various people and 7nm is on track for 2021.

Argue in the PMs so as to not derail the real discussion. Otherwise you will both be reply banned.

Top Bottom