• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them

JCho133

Been playing some Breakneck with some help from my Australian account and it's pretty good, Mario.

My only issues with it are that the framerate feels choppy. I'm not sure if it's my devices fault (iPhone 5S 8.4, no apps running in the background and on airplane mode). Not necessarily inconsistent, just slower than I've come to expect from other similar games it feels. This may be a compromise since it has such great visuals.

Another (which sorta goes hand in hand with above) is that the controls don't feel as responsive as I'd hoped. Especially with since the game relies so heavily on grinding next to obstacles, it's frustrating to have them feel floaty and innaccurate.

Maybe I'm just too used to Race the Sun and Horizon Drift right now, so I'll come back and say how I feel after I've adjusted a little longer.

Everything else in the game seems really solid, the whole premise is cool and environment designs are great, plus there's no timers.

sheaaaa

Man, I hate saying this but I'm not feeling Pac-Man 256 at all. I loved Crossy Road but I think the inherent difference is that even moving one tile in Crossy Road was inherently fun. Here I'm just directing and waiting as Pac-Man moves and gobbles stuff up.

And it seems a lot harder and it doesn't feel like it's my fault that I suck. There are times where there are just too many ghosts and I can't escape no matter how early I spot them or how quickly I react. It feels like something basic in the design just doesn't work.

Maybe it's a matter of unlocking more power-ups and upgrading them, but even then the fact that the power-ups become unavailable temporarily when I upgrade them is really putting me off. Otherwise the F2P stuff is pretty okay.

Anyone has any thoughts?

PittaGAF

I just watched a Calvino Noir stream from PS4.
Looks fantastic.
Really fantastic...a stealth adventure with a strong story.
I'm sold.

awp69

Looks fantastic.
I'm sold.

Yeah, with that and Lara Croft Go coming out next week, I'm kind of glad I held off on Dungeon of the Endless. I'll get that eventually too, but think I have to put those two at the top of my buy list.

NoPiece

Man, I hate saying this but I'm not feeling Pac-Man 256 at all. I loved Crossy Road but I think the inherent difference is that even moving one tile in Crossy Road was inherently fun. Here I'm just directing and waiting as Pac-Man moves and gobbles stuff up.

And it seems a lot harder and it doesn't feel like it's my fault that I suck. There are times where there are just too many ghosts and I can't escape no matter how early I spot them or how quickly I react. It feels like something basic in the design just doesn't work.

Maybe it's a matter of unlocking more power-ups and upgrading them, but even then the fact that the power-ups become unavailable temporarily when I upgrade them is really putting me off. Otherwise the F2P stuff is pretty okay.

Anyone has any thoughts?

I agree, and would add the controls feel off and sluggish. I've played a ton of Crossy Road, and they are impeccable. In Pacman 256 I'm missing turns often, even though I have substantial lead time, it just doesn't seem to register.

Voidance

I agree, and would add the controls feel off and sluggish. I've played a ton of Crossy Road, and they are impeccable. In Pacman 256 I'm missing turns often, even though I have substantial lead time, it just doesn't seem to register.
What device Are you playing on? I haven't encountered this problem on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Matt Frost

Great game, but I'd have to say the title of best endless runner would have to go to Boson X

For me Boson X is the best behind the back endless runner there is and Worm Run the best sideways endless runner there is. Both games are completely unique in what they do and are way above the competition. But IMO, if I had to choose between them, Worm Run will be the winner. Its like a spin off on the genre, completely different from all the other games on it. I thank Golden Ruby Games each time I play it for making such an original and different game. But the cool thing is that I can have them both installed and play one then the other and so on :D

pac man 256 makes me want a real pac man game to play - does the ce dx port control well w/ swipes?

CE DX is all about finding the best route to chain sleeping ghosts behind and eat dots you until you rack a huge combo and since you can see the whole level all the time you tend to miss a lot less, but prepare to be really fast and think ahead at each intersection because the game gets faster over time and gets really challenging, but not because swipes fail, is because I fail to swipe in time. A favorite of mine, love it.

RM8

Horizon Chase is everything. It's probably my favorite iOS game of the year so far and one of the best examples of mobile games done right. I hope it's very successful so we encourage developers to give us premium content like this, and I also hope it makes it to Android because I hyped some of friends for it without knowing most of them can't buy it, lol.

And that new Pac-Man game is super boring, IMO, but maybe I'm just too used to CE DX's sheer awesomeness.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
CE DX is all about finding the best route to chain sleeping ghosts behind and eat dots you until you rack a huge combo and since you can see the whole level all the time you tend to miss a lot less, but prepare to be really fast and think ahead at each intersection because the game gets faster over time and gets really challenging, but not because swipes fail, is because I fail to swipe in time. A favorite of mine, love it.

that new Pac-Man game is super boring, IMO, but maybe I'm just too used to CE DX's sheer awesomeness.

yeah, i played a bunch of CE & CEDX on xbla and wanted to replay it. i just copped the app and it controls surprisingly well if anyone is in the mood for a real pac man game after trying 256.

okno

I like the relaxed nature of Pacman 256, but it is definitely a lot of waiting for Pacman to reach the next fruit, or credit, or ghost, or pellet. The controls work perfectly for me, and haven't had problems running into too many ghosts or anything of the sort. It's just a surprisingly relaxing game of Pacman that doesn't offer up any difficult unless you make a big mistake and die.

It's okay. Looks nice, but I'd rather play other endless runners.

Looks fantastic.
I'm sold.
Actually haven't seen any gameplay besides the trailer. Huge stealth fan and a huge noir fiction fan, so it's a given for me on Wednesday

okno

Also, I know this game is old hat and a bunch of new, beautiful games are coming out now, but I can't recommend Space Marshals enough. Gorgeous graphics, perfect controls, excellent gameplay and a great story. It's a fantastic, fantastic game.

Also, I know this game is old hat and a bunch of new, beautiful games are coming out now, but I can't recommend Space Marshals enough. Gorgeous graphics, perfect controls, excellent gameplay and a great story. It's a fantastic, fantastic game.
How is it old? The devs released Chapter 3 this month

Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel

PittaGAF

Actually haven't seen any gameplay besides the trailer. Huge stealth fan and a huge noir fiction fan, so it's a given for me on Wednesday

To be honest I wasn't THAT hyped by the trailer...but seeing the first 30 minutes of the game (I then closed it, didn't want to ruin the game) sold me on it.
Looks like a mix between limbo and tiny thief, if that makes sense.

PittaGAF

I just completed the final version of Galactic Keep...GLORIOUS.
The story is really fantastic (at first you don't understand anything...then after the third map it's really picks up...be sure to explore every corner).
Really a fantastic and unique game,,,can't wait for the new module.

To be honest I wasn't THAT hyped by the trailer...but seeing the first 30 minutes of the game (I then closed it, didn't want to ruin the game) sold me on it.
Looks like a mix between limbo and tiny thief, if that makes sense.
So more adventure game than stealth game?

PittaGAF

So more adventure game than stealth game?

No, definitely a stealth game...the 'tiny thief' part was because you have certain spots that (I guess, the stream was from the PS4 version) you can press to hide/kill/interact.
Many dialogues and it *seems* different ways to reach your objectives (not sure).

Moreche

I'm looking to give up my console and move to iOS games only on my iPad and iPhone.
The reason is that I find the PS4 and Xbox One so disappointing, I feel they should do so much more than just be game machines and I don't even find them to be pushing the graphical envelope at all.
Has anyone done this and still enjoy it?

I'm looking to give up my console and move to iOS games only on my iPad and iPhone.
The reason is that I find the PS4 and Xbox One so disappointing, I feel they should do so much more than just be game machines and I don't even find them to be pushing the graphical envelope at all.
I rarely play console games anymore, but that's because I got hooked on PC gaming. And the fact that I mainly play indie games. PC and mobile are the platforms for indies.

I'd say 60/40% split between PC and mobile for me. My PS3 is currently a glorified Roku right now

And the cool thing about IOS is that you also get a sizable selection of the best indies due to all the PC ports. FTL, Transistor, This War of Mine, Papers Please, Dungeon of the Endless, with Prison Architect and Brothers coming in the future.

Plus all the great IOS indies like Galactic Keep and Device 6

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I find my mobile gaming compliments my PS4 & Wii U.

Rocket League mp, NSMBU, Street Fighter & Galactic Keep all cover very different gaming needs.

I don't think I could do without smooth platforming, 2d fighting & driving with a controller/fight stick in my life.

Zzoram

I'm thinking about buying a new iOS game. I'm looking at Don't Starve or Out There right now.

Which is more fun? More replayable? Easier to play in short chunks?

Also, any idea how well they run on an iPad 4?

awp69

I have both a PS4 and an Xbox One and still find myself playing mobile more. A lot of that comes down to my lifestyle. Stressful job, kids, bills, etc.

So time is limited and mobile makes it easier to play a little here and there. The fact that there are still deep games, like the indies More_Badass listed and originals like Warhammer : Deathwatch, on iOS just makes it even better.

JCho133

I'm thinking about buying a new iOS game. I'm looking at Don't Starve or Out There right now.

Definitely Out There for easier to play in short chunks. Don't Starve requires constant attention and movement so it gets monotonous/repetitive a lot faster IMO. Don't Starve is more of a game and Out There is more Game Book/Resource Management but I find Out There a lot more captivating.

I'd say Out There, hands down.

Personally I'd say Don't Starve is more fun and replayable. It's a roguelite survival games with tons of biomes, enemies, weapons and tools to craft, and secrets to discover. Dozens of hours of content

But Out There is definitely better suited for short chunks. Don't Starve requires a big time commitment

Zzoram

Definitely Out There for easier to play in short chunks. Don't Starve requires constant attention and movement so it gets monotonous/repetitive a lot faster IMO. Don't Starve is more of a game and Out There is more Game Book/Resource Management but I find Out There a lot more captivating.

I'd say Out There, hands down.

Thanks!

This is good.
After only one day, Happy Wheels is ranked as the #1 free app in the iOS app store! Why? I don't know. I'm guessing a lot of you must have tried it out. It sure is exciting. Forget those apps that help you navigate home or communicate with your significant others. They have always been worthless. Repeated failure and human dismemberment are what's important in life. Thanks so very much to all the new and long term fans for putting the game where it currently is. I have no idea how long it will stay there.

I wanted to address a few things regarding the mobile game that some of you may be wondering about. As you may have noticed, there is no user level browser. There is also only one character available for the 15 levels we provided. The game was released this way because the most important thing was just to initially get Happy Wheels accepted into the Apple App Store. Segway guy is probably the most tame and easy to control of all the initial characters. Seeing irresponsible dad and his son explode as they are crushed under a van isn't the first thing I wanted the people responsible for judging the game to see. User levels introduce a huge risk where someone could release a level that violates some of Apple's guidelines and immediately get us taken down. This has never been a problem on the internet, where I can apparently put whatever the hell I want into the game.

Now that the game is in the store, and things like Mortal Kombat X exist, I think it's safe for us to slowly introduce the rest of the game. I know there are a lot of new casual players who have never seen the game before, and I'd like them all to know, preferably as soon as possible, that there is a lot more that they haven't seen. There will be a user level browser, and we will release "featured" levels for other characters as soon as we have some quality stuff.

As for the android version, we're very aware, especially after these last 24 hours, that there is a high demand. We're working on it. I can't even play the mobile game on my own phone until this happens, so I'm looking forward to it as well.

Shaneus

I like the relaxed nature of Pacman 256, but it is definitely a lot of waiting for Pacman to reach the next fruit, or credit, or ghost, or pellet. The controls work perfectly for me, and haven't had problems running into too many ghosts or anything of the sort. It's just a surprisingly relaxing game of Pacman that doesn't offer up any difficult unless you make a big mistake and die.

It's okay. Looks nice, but I'd rather play other endless runners.
Pretty much how I feel about it. I'm more disappointed that the credits run out so quickly when playing the more advanced game mode. And that the unlocks are tied to using those limited credits (like collect X lightning powerups).

Matt Frost

I was looking for a new game and I completely forgot that I had Prune, installing it now...

Edit: After completing the first world, I feel like I first felt when I played Word Of Goo for the first time, that feeling of sheer awesomeness, that uniqueness... this just pours originality after each level and I just completed the first chapter... there is the whole game ahead of me :D

NoPiece

What device Are you playing on? I haven't encountered this problem on my iPhone 6 Plus.

iPhone 6, so it should be good. I went back and played Crossy Road for the first time in a long time, and the inputs definitely feel more accurate to me. Also, the new PacMan mode in Crossy Road is really cool, it doesn't have as much depth as PacMan 256, but for the first 10 min, I had more fun with it. It's worth checking out.

MeCuXTe.jpg

PittaGAF

I'm so hyped for this week Lara Croft GO and Calvino Noir.

I have now to decide what to buy first...but they looks different enough I could break my 'only one game at time' rule for once.
Calvino Noir seems not that long too.

I recall I loved Hitman GO even if I couldn't care less about the Hitman setting and played it on and off to 'cool down' after hard puzzles...but Lara Croft looks more adventurous so I do not know...

Matt Frost

I have it a lot easier: I will buy them both but will be hopelessly addicted to Ski Safari 2 xD

iPhone 6, so it should be good. I went back and played Crossy Road for the first time in a long time, and the inputs definitely feel more accurate to me. Also, the new PacMan mode in Crossy Road is really cool, it doesn't have as much depth as PacMan 256, but for the first 10 min, I had more fun with it. It's worth checking out.

Thanks for the info, re-downloaded and yes indeed I like it more than Pac-Man 256. But if you can, buy Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, thats where the real juice is at.

Was Spider 2 just kinda boring...? Didn't seem to set the thread on fire at all, eh?
Different time than 2009. The amount of great games coming out each week means that while Spider 2 is a really good game, it's a really good game among many really good games.

I don't think it has the same impact of "Oh my god, this is what mobile gaming can be" like Spider 1 did., which I think is what made Spider so critically-acclaimed at the time, There wasn't really anything like it on mobile. Now we have stuff like Deathwatch, Device 6, Monument Valley, Horizon Chase, and other new games coming out regularly that showcase mobile gaming at its best.

I recall I loved Hitman GO even if I couldn't care less about the Hitman setting and played it on and off to 'cool down' after hard puzzles...but Lara Croft looks more adventurous so I do not know...
I don't think you'll encounter that with LC GO. I know what you mean, because I'm the same with certain puzzlers, but LC GO is a different experience than Hitman

awp69

Why does PG have Framed coming as a new release this week? Is it getting a big update? The story on this week's releases acts as if it never came out before.

awp69

Yeah, they've been doing these "deals" like Groupon with somethings related to iOS and most not. I'm assuming they get some of the cut.

At least from their own stories, they have claimed that the Patreon thing is doing well and is helping to keep the site alive (without things like paid advertising threads).

I honestly wish they would just sell out to someone and maybe get some less heavy handed leadership there.

What's ironic is that TA itself has often used IP addresses to make sure their mostly ridiculous bans are enforced (ie., you couldn't just create a new account because they would immediately see it was from your IP address). Sometimes they even ban IP addresses from even seeing the site / forums.

The VPN thing would allow you to get around that. Although I have no intention of doing so because I just don't care at this point.

RocksRider is getting an HD Edition next month
Looks really good IMO

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V7SikcwOQB8

If the controls and physics are good, hopefully it'll fill the Trials void

Edit: big improvement
Thus we were able to add much more detailed 3D models, brand new shaders and textures with double resolution just now, also as Ragdoll Physics and more sophisticated physics of the motorcycle than before. You will feel the big difference in physics of the motorcycle after a few seconds of your gameplay. Many new effects have been added and more than 80,000 other objects have been placed to the all environments. Most of the added objects are dynamic and the rider flings them while riding the race. The added effects, e.g. hunting fiery flames activated by riding out the laser gates and setting fire to the environments or possibility to slow down the reality by Slow Motion Zones, are not able to run smoothly on the older devices.

Top Bottom