• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

fijim

Banned
Anyone have a good list of essential and free apps or games?

I'm interested in streaming sports, radio, games, calculators, GPS, the works.

Not all free, but usually it is worth paying a few $ to get a quality app.

Calculator: PCalc
File Management: FileBrowser, Dropbox, Google Drive
Steaming Media from your computer: Plex
Sports Scores: ESPN Score Center (at least if you are in the US)
Radio: TuneIn Radio Pro
Games: read the thread ;)
Finding app price drops: AppShopper

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not all free, but usually it is worth paying a few $ to get a quality app.

Calculator: PCalc
File Management: FileBrowser, Dropbox, Google Drive
Steaming Media from your computer: Plex
Sports Scores: ESPN Score Center (at least if you are in the US)
Radio: TuneIn Radio Pro
Games: read the thread ;)
Finding app price drops: AppShopper

Thanks.

PFD

Rimmed Capsule coming out tonight

screen03.png

It's a Tetris strategy game!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/rymdkapsel/id663547503

drspeedy

Okay follow these steps.

-Close all of your apps.
-Put phone in airplane mode, then close the settings app.
-Turn the device off with the power button, do not do a hard reset.
-Now download Phone Clean. The application will remove cache data, files that have gotten stuck or failed downloads. A lot of stuff that can junk up your devices.
-Next after removing that space cycle you phones power again, and try the app store.

Awesome! I'll have to try this from home, I can't download .exe files at work...

Thanks for the help, everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've asked this awhile ago, but I was wondering if maybe someone had any new ideas.

Is there a better way to manage games on an iPhone without using iTunes? Since I don't delete anything from my iTunes library, syncing isn't a possibility because it would essentially try to load everything onto my device. Or is this a matter of if I ever delete TWEWY from my phone, the only way to put it back onto the device again is to redownload the 2 gigs?

chiQ

I've asked this awhile ago, but I was wondering if maybe someone had any new ideas.

Is there a better way to manage games on an iPhone without using iTunes? Since I don't delete anything from my iTunes library, syncing isn't a possibility because it would essentially try to load everything onto my device. Or is this a matter of if I ever delete TWEWY from my phone, the only way to put it back onto the device again is to redownload the 2 gigs?

Tell it to only load selected items.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
no you can't download apps over 50mb on the app store over 3g/4g/LTE, only over wifi, unless you are talking about some other 3g that's not your phone.
Hotspot works as a Wifi so I can download stuff over 50mbs and it'll drain my 3g data.

I guess I don't understand your question. I have hundreds of apps that are just sitting in my iTunes library that don't load onto my device. When it's plugged in to my phone, I go through and check the apps I wanted to be synced.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

When you have your iPhone connected in iTunes, under the Apps tab on the device, untick the box for automatically syncing new apps. Then when you sync it'll only try and copy over apps that you have selected.

You can transfer apps you have on your iPhone that aren't in your local iTunes library by right-clicking the iPhone and selecting Transfer Purchases. Alternatively go into the Store, and pick Purchased and download them from your history to your computer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When you have your iPhone connected in iTunes, under the Apps tab on the device, untick the box for automatically syncing new apps. Then when you sync it'll only try and copy over apps that you have selected.

You can transfer apps you have on your iPhone that aren't in your local iTunes library by right-clicking the iPhone and selecting Transfer Purchases. Alternatively go into the Store, and pick Purchased and download them from your history to your computer.

I guess I don't understand your question. I have hundreds of apps that are just sitting in my iTunes library that don't load onto my device. When it's plugged in to my phone, I go through and check the apps I wanted to be synced.

Hrm, did this change in iTunes 11? I haven't done it in a while, but in 10, if I uncheck "automatically sync", it just greys everything out and I can't do anything with that page. Also, it's a pain to manage because I probably have a several hundred apps as well that I'm too lazy to delete at this point.

Hrm, did this change in iTunes 11? I haven't done it in a while, but in 10, if I uncheck "automatically sync", it just greys everything out and I can't do anything with that page. Also, it's a pain to manage because I probably have a several hundred apps as well that I'm too lazy to delete at this point.

Again I'm not understanding. "Automatically Sync" doesn't mean it's going to copy over every app in iTunes to your device everytime you sync. If you remove an app from your phone, it will remain in iTunes. If you sync up again it won't come over unless you check the box again on the Apps tab.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Again I'm not understanding. "Automatically Sync" doesn't mean it's going to copy over every app in iTunes to your device everytime you sync. If you remove an app from your phone, it will remain in iTunes. If you sync up again it won't come over unless you check the box again on the Apps tab.
Again, I don't know if this changed, but when I had it to automatically sync (when I first bought my iPhone 5), it tried to copy my entire iTunes app library to the phone and every time I deleted it from the phone, it would just copy it back every time I synced. Unchecking every app was just not a practical solution at the time because even though I didn't have a phone, at that time I already had hundreds of apps that I "bought" since games go free all the time.

I actually tried cleaning out my entire iTunes app library and syncing again, but I seem to remember it causing problems there as well (maybe because I didn't transfer over my purchases before syncing).

Looking at my iTunes library now, I have 1538 apps... which is probably part of the problem, admittedly.

Again, I don't know if this changed, but when I had it to automatically sync (when I first bought my iPhone 5), it tried to copy my entire iTunes app library to the phone and every time I deleted it from the phone, it would just copy it back every time I synced. Unchecking every app was just not a practical solution at the time because even though I didn't have a phone, at that time I already had hundreds of apps that I "bought" since games go free all the time.

I actually tried cleaning out my entire iTunes app library and syncing again, but I seem to remember it causing problems there as well (maybe because I didn't transfer over my purchases before syncing).

Looking at my iTunes library now, I have 1538 apps... which is probably part of the problem, admittedly.

Automatically Synce was your problem the first time. If you remove the check, everything will grey out, as you will be doing it manually.

If you want to manually manage your device, click on the device itself on the left; you should now have your device info in the main window. Click on the word Apps up top, and you will be presented with your device's screens, and an app list. You can add/delete from there.

I'm enjoying Rymdkapsel (or whatever it is). It took a little while to wrap my head around what is going on, but then it all sort of clicked.

Refreshingly, you are not then bombarded with a whole heap of complicated mechanics. You just go about your business with what you have learnt at the start. Because of that it is a joy to play and a rather relaxing experience, even if it is still tricky.

It might not last me forever because of this, but that is ok. Well worth a look.

Best mobile browser?

Chrome with your bookmarks synced is my favourite.

LiquidMetal14

I'm enjoying Rymdkapsel. It took a little while to wrap my head around what is going on, but then it all sort of clicked.

Refreshingly, you are not then bombarded with a whole heap of complicated mechanics. You just go about your business with what you have learnt at the start. Because of that it is a joy to play and a rather relaxing experience, even if it is still tricky.

It might not last me forever because of this, but that is ok. Well worth a look.

Chrome with your bookmarks synced is my favourite.

Excellent, just grabbing some apps ahead of time for the hopeful arrival.

Now I'm deciding between Incoboto Mini and Mage Gauntlet. Can only get one. One GAFfer already called MG "utterly fantastic", but I'm also a big fan of puzzle platformer

How are the difficulty of these games? Length? Replay value?

Now I'm deciding between Incoboto Mini and Mage Gauntlet. Can only get one. One GAFfer already called MG "utterly fantastic", but I'm also a big fan of puzzle platformer

How are the difficulty of these games? Length? Replay value?

Both are great. Incoboto IS a puzzle platformer and Mage Gauntlet is an action game. I liked both but from what you've said, get Incoboto now and Mage Gauntlet later.

LiquidMetal14

Bah, suffering the security question thing where I can't remember them. I guess the only way to reset is to go through support?

RustyO

XCom on Sale ($15)

Looking at my wishlist; I THINK the following are on sale as well...

- Civilisation Revolution ($1)
- Sid Meiers Pirates! ($1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom