• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol come on SE.

BQV0dL_CEAIObXd.png:large

doing the silly exploits to reset your reviews because you forgot to mention that bloodmasque requires an online connection.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
lol come on SE.

BQV0dL_CEAIObXd.png:large

doing the silly exploits to reset your reviews because you forgot to mention that bloodmasque requires an online connection.

The ratings that are displayed by default are the ones tallied across all version of an app, so that doesn't "work" anymore. But yeah, lame update :p (considering you do not have to update an app to alter the App Store description).

The ratings that are displayed by default are the ones tallied across all version of an app, so that doesn't "work" anymore. But yeah, lame update :p (considering you do not have to update an app to alter the App Store description).

pretty sure it just shows current version on iOS app store, or maybe just iphone, don't have ipad with me.

PittaGAF

I am playing it, and I love it. It is as you said. :)

I actually have played some XCOM on my PC, but for some reason want to double dip and play it on my iPad instead.

This is a low blow :p
Can't wait, really.
My only concern...in the only video I saw long ago, it was that the world seemed a bit 'empty' with still NPCs...but friends of mine told me 'Do not worry'.

Finally the future is here, for me!

Got myself my first smartphone on Friday, an iPhone 5.
And now I want to fill it with fun games and apps, so expect me in this thread often!

Besided the usual suspects and the ones in the op, any gaming tips for me?

I like (turnbased) strategy games, puzzlers, sim/tycoon games etc.

Already have Pocket Planes, Minigolf Match Up, Real Football 2013, Baseball Stars 2013, Ruzzle, Towers 'n Trolls, Wordfeud, and Draw Something.

Also just bought an iTunes gift card so I can pay for some games as well.

Great topics btw!
Puzzle game, I'd recommend Trainyard (there's a lite version),

Everyone should play SuperHexagon. If you like difficult puzzle platformers, would highly recommend Penumbear.

Brakara

Am I the only one incredibly pissed off by the fact Shadowrun Returns seems awesome and the iOS version date is a mystery?

Many trusted friends of mine are playing this...I refuse to look at any video or playing it before trying it on my iPad...
They are telling me it's like a great adventure game with XCOM lite combats.
Straightforward story focused narration, about 10-12 hours long.

Seems like my perfect game :/

Anyone here playing on PC can confirm?

Yes, it's great. Love the gameplay, the setting and story, as well as the combat (which as you said, can be described as XCOM lite). The save system sucks though, and I'm not sure how they'll do it on tablets because I can't imagine they'll use the current one. It's basically checkpoints that only saves when you move on to a new area (so every 15-30 minutes or so). Another downside on tablets is that (AFAIK) you'll not be able to use the editor or play other people's campaigns...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yes, it's great. Love the gameplay, the setting and story, as well as the combat (which as you said, can be described as XCOM lite). The save system sucks though, and I'm not sure how they'll do it on tablets because I can't imagine they'll use the current one. It's basically checkpoints that only saves when you move on to a new area (so every 15-30 minutes or so). Another downside on tablets is that (AFAIK) you'll not be able to use the editor or play other people's campaigns...

Could manage custom campaigns via iTunes documents, I remember reading about that somewhere in relation to Shadowrun during the Kickstarter run but I have no idea if they've entertained the idea. PC version is otherwise fully touch-compatible as is on Windows tablets and controls really well so that bodes well for the iPad release at least.

PittaGAF

I just completed Sine Mora 'alternative timeline' story mode.

It was an absolutely awesome experience....what a (true) ending!!!
What a twist!!!!

Having already completed the game before the update, I can testify that not only they smoothed framerate everywhere in the game, they also added a TON of visual effects.
Hands down one of the best looking game on iOS.

I really can't wait for them to publish something else...a sequel, a prequel, anything.
I NEED more.

Will try the arcade (hard) mode now.

Incidentally, I'm second in the world ladders too :)

For the curious I use the mirrored RT controls alternating them with the floating joystick when I need more precision (like in the Domus).

Best shooter I ever played, hands down.

I know it's controversial...but if you want something different from the Cave offering...so you can come to terms with fixed speed ship, a slower pace, less reflexes and more patterns memorizing gameplay...it's imho a must.

ios gaming really does make you experience and feel different emotions.

unlocked a kickass new armor in blood masque. But the armor is only for females, and it looks like some kind of domanatrix S&M kinda skimpy leather outfit. I don't wanna remove my sexy mug from my character...

moral choices in games.

PittaGAF

Could manage custom campaigns via iTunes documents, I remember reading about that somewhere in relation to Shadowrun during the Kickstarter run but I have no idea if they've entertained the idea. PC version is otherwise fully touch-compatible as is on Windows tablets and controls really well so that bodes well for the iPad release at least.

Also Battle Academy from Siltherine manages user content perfectly (with a in game browser, download new campaigns and such).

Magnus

The Catan iOS games/expansions have been the best money I've spent on the App Store. So fucking fun, and faithfully translated from the board games.

More like this please! Any recommendations?

I wish there were an iOS version of 7 Wonders...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'll definitely grab Bloodmasque on a sale, the face thing alone makes it worth it. :lol

big Kingdom Rush Frontiers update coming 8/1, new enemies, new land, new heroes. I'm ready. I finished (tired of?) Frontiers much faster then the previous.

wish tunesmith would put games i recommend on the OT ;_;

dont know why i'm still playing bloodmasque lol. i guess its the loot grind and i love the aesthetic.

Goli

dont know why i'm still playing bloodmasque lol. i guess its the loot grind and i love the aesthetic.

I stopped after I hit the level cap and realized even with that I couldn't beat the post-game bosses which require really fast reflexes.

Anyone know my issue could be? Before vacation, wifi on my iPhone 4 worked fine. I come back home and it's slow as shit, even with a good signal. 3G is faster. I haven't been able to download any games or any updates. And it's not an issue with my router because on my laptop, the wifi works perfectly.

PFD

I stopped after I hit the level cap and realized even with that I couldn't beat the post-game bosses which require really fast reflexes.

What's the level cap? And yeah the game is definitely grindy, not unlike infinity blade.

Is there any way to get gold stakes besides IAP?

Goli

What's the level cap? And yeah the game is definitely grindy, not unlike infinity blade.

Is there any way to get gold stakes besides IAP?

It's 30.

And no, but I think gold stakes are really overpowered and only encourage SE to keep abusing IAPs, I basically stuck to iron stakes through the whole game.
By the way here's the thread about Bloodmasque where I wrote most of my impressions, if anyone is still not sure http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633471

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Are we still friends? :)

OP is now at 25000 characters, NO MORE GOOD iOS GAMES ARE ALLOWED TO RELEASE THIS MONTH, WAIT FOR AUG! (augh!) :p

(speakin of, let's come up with a title for August!)

PFD

^ LOL at the screenshot in that banner :D

But yeah, I'm like chickdigger, strangely enjoying the game despite its grindy nature. Something about the combat is oddly satisfying.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally the future is here, for me!

Got myself my first smartphone on Friday, an iPhone 5.
And now I want to fill it with fun games and apps, so expect me in this thread often!

Besided the usual suspects and the ones in the op, any gaming tips for me?

I like (turnbased) strategy games, puzzlers, sim/tycoon games etc.

Already have Pocket Planes, Minigolf Match Up, Real Football 2013, Baseball Stars 2013, Ruzzle, Towers 'n Trolls, Wordfeud, and Draw Something.

Also just bought an iTunes gift card so I can pay for some games as well.

Great topics btw!

The Catan iOS games/expansions have been the best money I've spent on the App Store. So fucking fun, and faithfully translated from the board games.

More like this please! Any recommendations?

I wish there were an iOS version of 7 Wonders...

You both might want to take a look at the iOS boardgaming thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468889

PFD

Here's my contribution to the hidden iOS gems thread:

Windosill
A very eerie and surreal puzzle game. It is very short, but I think of it more as a toy. The art style is amazing, and the physics are so much fun to play with. It's the perfect "hey check out this cool iPad game!" game that you can show to friends.

New Orbit
This is a highly atmospheric game. It has a spooky, decently long story that is fully voiced (a rarity for mobile titles.) However, what makes this game special is the gameplay. The gravity mechanics are so much fun once you master controlling your ship, which can actually take a while. The game can be challenging at first, but it's very rewarding once you master it.

Slice HD
This is a perfect party game. Think of it as a coop same-device multiplayer game. You will need as many fingers as you can get to help you pull back a variety of sharp blades in order to expose the red button. If anyone touches a razor edge while playing, they will get sliced and their blood will be sprayed on the screen (accompanied by horrible blade sounds.) The fun lies in discovering the patterns of each level, and watching your friends jump back in terror as they get sliced. The effects are very realistic.

Hack Run
This is a fun text-based adventure game that will make you feel like a badass hacker. There are lots of puzzles in the game, some of which require you to visit real websites in your browser. The game can be played in portrait or landscape orientation.

Polara
A very underrated platformer. It is a runner, in the sense that your character automatically runs to the right (think Rayman Jungle Run). You can jump and change your polarity (color), and the obstacles keep getting increasingly harder as you progress. The game has a rather long story for a platformer, and the music is really good and helps create an awesome atmosphere.

big Kingdom Rush Frontiers update coming 8/1, new enemies, new land, new heroes. I'm ready. I finished (tired of?) Frontiers much faster then the previous.
Did that game have cloud saves? I'd love to see the new content but with a 16GB iPad I usually don't keep games I'm playing often and I don't want to have to play through the entire game again to get new stuff.

I'm having the same problem with Ridiculous Fishing, I know it's really short but it kind of sucks playing through and unlocking stuff again to get to the new stuff. Cloud saves please, devs!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Did that game have cloud saves? I'd love to see the new content but with a 16GB iPad I usually don't keep games I'm playing often and I don't want to have to play through the entire game again to get new stuff.

I'm having the same problem with Ridiculous Fishing, I know it's really short but it kind of sucks playing through and unlocking stuff again to get to the new stuff. Cloud saves please, devs!

KR:F does not have iCloud saves, even if it did they don't work across multiple app SKUs (UNIVERSAL APPS DEVS!).

I've been playing Color Zen for the last few days after seeing it on Reviews on the Run. $.99, pretty fun and simple puzzle game that gets challenging.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How easy is it to get that great Max Payne face into Bloodmasque?

Added to Hidden Gems thread
Sword and Glory

Generic name, but the game is far from it. It's almost like a lite version of King of Dragon Pass combined with a roguelike-esque lineage mechanic and one-on-one duel combat

You have one life to build your village, explore and complete quests, upgrade, and amass riches and fame. When you die, you play as your descendant; your riches are lost but other stuff carries over

And the art style is cool and different
sword_glory.jpg

And it's free with no ads and IAP is for impatient players only, absolutely not needed to fully enjoy the game

PittaGAF

For the ones interested, this was just posted by the devs on TA about Sine Mora (last time I talk about the game, promise!)

First of all, thank you, everyone, for your valuable feedback. Your opinions, positive or negative, do matter to us, after all, you're our players

I'd like to answer (or re-answer) some of the issues raised in this thread

Controls: no new touch methods will be added, but i'm looking into the ios7 controller support. Instatouch is not possible, it'd require a big rewrite of the collision detection in the game, not to mention breaking other aspects of it, so we chose not to do it.

Graphics: aside from the cursed water , the IOS version is identical to the Vita one, but in higher resolution. I'm still experimenting with optimisations, but IF it ever makes it into an update, i'll concentrate on making the framerate higher rather than replicating the PC features.

iCade: i'll be honest with you, i haven't even heard of it until now. I'll check if it's available in my country.

Widescreen: as i mentioned earlier in another post, this has always been the target of critisism on all platforms. The 21:9 ratio is part of the design, and the whole game is timed/marked around it. If i were to open the borders, you'd see glitches like objects/enemies/bullets appearing from thin air. The only option would be to zoom in, but then you'd lose visible playarea - i'm not sure how that would go down with the community.

Gameplay: we felt it was important to leave it as it is - some of the original design decisions may seem unorthodox, but they're part of what makes Sine Mora Sine Mora. We hope you still find the experience valuable, even if you don't agree with some of the choices we made.

Gamecenter: this one pretty much depends on our other projects. No promises, but if we finish integrating it into our framework and find a way to migrate existing facebook scores into it, then Sine Mora will be retro-fitted with GC.

We're preparing for release on other platforms, and as a consequence, the ios version might get another update too. If you have any suggestions or remarks, please PM me.

Nyx

That looks fun indeed, thanks!

Picked up some other games as well yesterday, probably all old and well-known but I love them!

- Score! (Try and recreate the best football goals in history)
- Letterpress (word-game, seems fun so far!)
- Kingdom Rush Frontiers (lovely TD)
- Photoplay's Find It! (the memories!)

And I also picked up Football Manager 2013 handheld, as I'm a big fan of the series on PC.
While the handheld version isn't as deep it's still a lot of fun to play during commute!

Oh also love Baseball Superstars 2013!

SmokyDave

ios gaming really does make you experience and feel different emotions.

unlocked a kickass new armor in blood masque. But the armor is only for females, and it looks like some kind of domanatrix S&M kinda skimpy leather outfit. I don't wanna remove my sexy mug from my character...

moral choices in games.
So, you're saying I really ought to buy Bloodmasque?

Understood boss.

So I have no idea what's going on in this Alpaca game anymore.
You had an idea at some point? I've been baffled since the start. Still evolving though.

For the ones interested, this was just posted by the devs on TA about Sine Mora (last time I talk about the game, promise!)
Don't apologise, your enthusiasm is refreshing and infectious. I have Sine Mora on the Vita, but I've not had a chance to play much yet because my backlog is epic. It looked really nice, though I'm not a fan of the time mechanic at all. I'll definitely go back to it though.

ToxicAdam

I spent the 2.99 and unlocked Deep Dark Dungeons full version. It's sort of a weird hybrid roguelike/arpg that has the typical 16-bit graphic styling. Kind of reminds me of Punch-Out the way you need to memorize hit patterns of enemies to defeat them. I really like that aspect of the game and they really spent some time giving each dungeon a different feel/theme and a boss to go with it.

It's a little too light on content, a little too heavy on IAP and buggy for me to recommend it at that price. The base for a great game is there though, if the creators keep adding updates.

Picked up some other games as well yesterday, probably all old and well-known but I love them!

!

Have you tried New Star Soccer yet? I bet you would love it.

Have $10, here's the list of games I'm interested in. Bolded games are the ones I want the most

Which three or four would you recommend?
Ziggurat
Star Armada
AvH
9th Dawn
Junk Jack
Prince of Persia S&F
Mage Gauntlet
Incoboto
Rymdkapsel
Puddle
Beat Hazard Ultra
Autumn Dynasty

Starbase Orion
King of Dragon Pass

Also is AD worth 6.99 or KoDP 9.99? Both seen kind of pricey, but I really enjoyed AD lite

heringer

Have $10, here's the list of games I'm interested in. Bolded games are the ones I want the most

Which three or four would you recommend?

Also is AD worth 6.99 or KoDP 9.99? Both seen kind of pricey, but I really enjoyed AD lite

Autumn Dynasty, King of Dragon Pass and Starbase Orion.

- Score! (Try and recreate the best football goals in history)
- Letterpress (word-game, seems fun so far!)

- Kingdom Rush Frontiers (lovely TD)
- Photoplay's Find It! (the memories!)

And I also picked up Football Manager 2013 handheld, as I'm a big fan of the series on PC.
While the handheld version isn't as deep it's still a lot of fun to play during commute!

Oh also love Baseball Superstars 2013!

Two of my favorite iOS games so far. Love them (outside of Carcassonne)

Nyx

It's also getting a considerable update in September and adding iPhone 5 support (finally!)

So far it's very good! I love these kind of simple yet addicting games.

Jeez, this iPhone is taking up a lot of time now haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom