• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2013: Filled with unethical beverages, like Lipton Brisk Iced Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ib0WXJ1dnppVMb.png

ioTkfbiQZdbye.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month -- all games which have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Also keep an eye out for the ‘GAF iOS Challenges’; events where GAF battle it out on the Game Center leaderboards of a chosen game for both fame and fortune (prizes donated by members of our community).

iCehu4H01OU3C.png

Come face-to-face with vampires in this immersive action RPG. Take a photo or use an existing one to see yourself in action against the vampires, or mix and match facial features, hairstyles, and skin tones to create a character all your own. Connect online to recruit friendly faces to join you on the hunt.

Intuitive controls let you tap to attack and swipe to dodge as you savor the thrills of pulse-pounding vampire battles.
Recruit hunters other players have made as comrades in combat, and fight evil alongside the familiar faces of your friends.

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Bloodmasque is fun

img_11013clp9.png
img_1068x8xrv.png
[level cap] It's 30.

And no, but I think gold stakes are really overpowered and only encourage SE to keep abusing IAPs, I basically stuck to iron stakes through the whole game.
By the way here's the thread about Bloodmasque where I wrote most of my impressions, if anyone is still not sure http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633471

Use 5 different Lums in this beautiful action physics puzzle game. Destroy everything with Cannonball Lum, create spotlights with Light Lum, use Antigravity Lum to make their hideouts fly away, or turn them into glass by using Transparent Lum. Sometimes you just need to turn everything into stone. Stone Lum can handle that.

•First game on the App Store with physically realistic realtime 2D soft shadows
•5 characters with very different abilities
•48 unique levels

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Lums is surprisingly good. You have complete control over your "Lums" so the game becomes a physics puzzler, not a fire-and-forget catapult game like Angry Birds. The graphics are quite pleasing and the light mechanic adds another layer of complexity to the puzzle aspect. Unlike Angry Birds, where you can destroy pigs by collapsing debris on them, here you have to be a bit more mindful of your surroundings because fallen debris may actually cover and protect the vampires.

Furthermore your Lums are more varied than the usual AB-esque projectiles. One is for smashing debris, another can fly through glass and becomes a light source when placed on a surface, another reverses gravity, one switches blocks to glass, another to stone.

•Build your arsenal with 1000s of gun combos, and specialize each soldier with a combination of perks, tactics, armor, and inventory.
•Plan your mission step-by-step: split up your team and assault the map from multiple entrance points, set routes and fields of fire, use cover and outflank your foe.

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

First impressions are of a game with very high production values. Once I started playing though my opinion dropped. I like the fast paced, simplified Frozen Synapse style of play, but there are a number of issues. The inability to rewatch turns, no clock to time your moves, and the game hasn't completely lost its freemium heritage with plenty of consumable items (grenades, medpacks, lockpicks, ect) and gear that feels disconnected from the actual game.

For $2 it's fairly decent, there's still a lot to like and have fun with here. I checked the TA forums (gasp!) and the developers are quite active there. Maybe changes will come to improve B&C's shortcomings. However, with all the recent TBS games it's hard to recommend B&C over those.
The consumable aspects of Breach & Clear are pretty minimal. You have to buy grenades, med packs, UAVs and such, but they're all reasonably priced. IIRC, frag grenades and flash bangs are about 40 to 60 silver, and med packs are under 100 as well -- I still don't know how rating factors into rewards, but I routinely get about 600 silver per completed mission, so I haven't run into any instances where I am out of cash.
Been playing for the last two days. This is an awesome game. I posted my concerns and comments on other pages (hard to see split group on small screen, certain features and tutorial unclear) but overall this is well worth the 1.99 (and I would have gladly paid the 3.99)

Getting my ass kicked on the harder difficulties, but definitely getting better. A lot of tactical depth in a bite sized package. I especially love the animations, how the unit stacks up at a door, how they change direction to face where you aimed them, how they peek out from behind cover. The touch controls are also very good. I actually prefer this waypoint over FS, because you select a node on the ground rather than having to be super precise

What I want to see added most is a video replay function, so I can watch my plan play out from beginning to end, switch to action camera, zoom in close, etc. Also needs a way to erase entire plan and set a new one.
First impressions:

1. Music skips a bit when navigating menus, which can be a little laggy as well (iPad Mini), sometimes takes a second to register input.
2. Animations are a little janky.
3. Input in game feels tricky, sometimes it won't register the "hold to set waypoint", I would suggest the option of double tapping to set perhaps?
4. Some of the promised features (clothing etc...) are "coming soon", it seems like content was pulled out or held back but if it's a free update that's fine I guess.

Sine Mora is a shoot'em up that provides a unique take on challenge, where time is the ultimate factor. Mixing classic shooter sensibilities with contemporary presentation, this is a gorgeous shoot'em up that offers a Story Mode that weaves an over-the-top tale and an Arcade Mode that provides deep, satisfying gameplay to challenge fans of the genre.

•7 beautifully crafted, diverse stages
•Over 50 different weapon combinations with time manipulating devices
•Virtual Joystick and Relative Touch controls.

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Game looks and plays great on iPad 3 graphics is incredible.
Game is letter boxed (heavily) with controls on the bottom black bar.

Story is INCOMPRENSIBLE...maybe it's just my poor English (yeah I know spoken text is Hungarian) but I can't understand anything reading the texts...why I'm constantly changing pilot? And aircraft? Am I trying to kill one by one the crew that dropped the bomb? I've no clue. Probably I'm missing something BIG.

Anyway the game is great and FRANTIC, with some of the most crazy bullet patterns I ever saw, not to mention those very über Japanese bosses.
I really like the time mechanic and the 16:9 smaller view, even if I wished to get rid for the normal fire button...and have just the time capsule and the secondary weapon (btw...some secondary weapons are just incredible).
The underwater levels are simply unbelievable with all those mines in the background and softened sounds.

Menu text is super tiny. No iCloud sync is a bummer tough. No GC either.
[More positive impressions, click to view, doesn't fit in OP]
[Disaster Impressions before patched controls] What is this I don't even...

RwRri6r.png

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Tunesmiff/status/356489441616990210[/tweet]
Good news, with Sine Mora patched I am comfortable enough to recommend it to be played.

The game is not perfect yet, but it's way ahead of it's previous state controls-wise, the relative touch just needs a sensitivity adjustment option and we would be golden. Game runs really nicely now and looks better with the update as well. It still is letterboxed on 16:9 screens but that's apparently a design choice so I can live with it. Menu text still tiny (and XBLA leaderboard errors are still present when Facebook connection fails!) but aside from that this game is enjoyable to play now.

Tiny Thief brings back the magic from the point-and-click games of old, charming you with its very own visual style and offbeat sense of humor.
The game throws some seriously mind-boggling puzzles at you, with tons of surprising interactive gameplay elements along the way.
Six big adventures – sneak and steal your way through six epic quests, featuring an awesome pirate ship and daring castle siege!
Unexpected surprises – explore fully interactive levels and uncover hidden treasures and other surprises at every turn!

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Adorable, simply adorable.
It's everything I hoped to be since I saw the first screenshot long ago...way before it got delayed and Rovio picked this title up to be published.

It's 'casual gaming' done right. The characters are so cute and hilarious, they could be part of a Disney Pixar movie hands down, congratulations to the devs.
Everything is so polished. It's a bit on the easy side so far, but I hope it gets a bit more difficult later on and, Rovio style, many additional levels will be published.

•Original story set in the Deus Ex universe, with fully explorable stunning environments
•The search for the truth spans from mafia hideouts in Moscow to the slums of Panama
•Play the way you want; full on action or stealth.

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Ok if you are even remotely interested in Deus Ex, I highly recommend The Fall. This is a proper title with great production values for an iOS game. It's not a poor knockoff like Mass Effect Infiltrator.

I played it on the iPad 4. The menu is beautiful, better than HR's menu even. I've had no framerate issues so far. And the game runs at full 2048x1536 with some form of AA implementation. I did not see any jaggies. The models and animation are a step down from HR, but the image quality is beautiful. The game is fully voice acted. The quality of VA varies depending on the actor, but overall it's not bad.
And finally, the controls are surprisingly very responsive. They don't feel floaty at all. And you're not restricted to tiny dual sticks, as you can touch and drag anywhere (left half for movement, right for camera). Alternatively, you can double tap on the ground to move.

Just played the first little bit of Deus Ex on the iPhone 4S. Compared to other "supports the 4S barely" games, this one runs really well on the 4S; smoothly and fully playable. Some of the text is a touch small, but it runs way better than, say, XCOM.

In the events of Mercenaries, set six years after the events of the original RAVENMARK, the world of Eclisse has been scarred irrevocably by the vendetta of Estellion’s vengeful new ruler, the Scarlet Empress. Players may delve into the world’s rich lore and discover the evolved power struggle between the three warring nations: once-glorious Estellion, the fledgling Varishah, and silent but stern Esotre.

•Requires a network connection to play. Also, please note that the game is a constant work in progress. Certain aspects of the game involving multiplayer combat may be rebalanced from time to time to improve the player experience.
•Challenge other human players to asynchronous battles, or embark on mercenary contracts to sharpen your skills on your own.
•Acquire the services of diverse Brigades of mercenaries, each with their own history and combat styles.

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Waiting for impressions.

Developed by GAFer Kiriku!

•Turn-based strategy for up to 6 players.
•Play both online via Game Center and offline.
•Build a mighty empire using over 10 different types of units & buildings.
•Battle on over 40 maps of different sizes or build your own maps, play and share them with your friends.

It's basically like a medieval take on Advance Wars, ie turn-based strategy. You have a bunch of different units that you can purchase and upgrade with new abilities, and it's multiplayer only for up to 6 players (online too, of course). We've been polishing and testing it a lot these past months and it's awesome to finally be able to release it to the world! There's also a map editor included, so you can create and share your own maps, and the game has full Game Center support, achievements etc.

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

Swords and Arrows seems fun so far, I've been waiting for an Advance Wars type game to show up on ios for a while now! Good job Kiriku and company, I haven't run across any issues so far.
Swords&Arrows is a damn polished async medieval tbs warfare game.
I'm having a blast playing it. Seriously, it's like a medieval version of Uniwar...combining the same accessibility with a more complex system (like different terrain modifiers and research trees), all in a super slick package with a nice graphical style.
Game is Universal and free with a single 'no ads' unlock (ads are not intrusive tough).
Notable: when on iPad you can play both on portrait and on landscape (like Carcassonne)...something I really appreciate.

•Absolutely no IAPs.
•Hack&Slash Action RPG with single player and co-op with up to 7 people
•Multitude of unique locations, villages, swamps, caves, crypts and more.

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

It's a full featured hack-n-slash loot game. Singleplayer in 3 acts, cross-platform Multiplayer up to 8 players, P2P hosted w/ text chat.
Controls - free flowing joystick on left side of the screen, along with action buttons on right side.
Quite a bit of options available, UI size, graphics features, zoom levels, etc. Text on the small side but readable on iPhone, iPad is better.
2 classes so far, Witch and Barbarian. Character skills seems deep with 3 spec trees, though one I think is for professions. You can load up your singleplayer character in multiplayer and vice versa.

This feels like a Gameloft game, without the shitty Gameloft game mechanics. No IAPs, no F2P shit, but with Gameloft's graphical capabilities & more features.

From GiantBomb review 5/5 said:
Limbo is a side-scrolling action game featuring a little boy looking for his sister in the big spooky forest. I only know that from reading a descriptive blurb somewhere; beyond the menus, the game itself uses no words (written or spoken) to communicate any sort of story. It doesn't even have real music, just a sublimely rendered ambient soundscape. And it doesn't need any of that stuff. You wake up in the woods, and off you go into an increasingly weird, oppressive, sinister dream world. Your sole occupation is to run left to right and try to avoid all the myriad ways this awful wilderness is trying to kill you, and the game focuses all of its efforts on enabling that single objective.

You won't manage to avoid most of those dangers the first time, because so much of Limbo's action centers on brutally immediate, unforgiving environmental hazards.
http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/limbo-review/1900-301/

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

This is a sublime game, I played it through on XBLA myself; a genius puzzle-platformer with a near unprecedented amount of creepy atmosphere. I haven't tested the iOS port yet but hear it is equally great on the platform.
I already knew the game was amazing (I have it on 360) but I'm happy to report controls are simply phenomenal...they set probably a new standard on the device.
I'll see how they will be towards the end, where probably the most precision is required, but so far so good.
Extremely good.
Basically there is an invisible (perfect) joystick on the screen (the whole screen, no matter if left or right), that support multitouch so you can swipe with the other finger to jump (again, no matter where): I just stick my fingers on the bottom part...so I have the whole screen to enjoy.
To interact with objects, just go near them...the little guy will change posture...keep one finger pressed and move...voila'.
Like...if you want to move a crate...just go near...he will extend his arms...the press the screen and move.
Simply fantastic.

•Perfect blend of roguelike and brawler
•Procedurally generated weapons, levels, and enemies that keep the action fresh until you die from thumb exhaustion
•Story mode, Insane Mode, Manic Mode, and Timed Sprint!
•Pets - They'll accompany you in battle and save your hide!

ibw8q9PunhOUVU.png

It's quirky, brilliant, and very addicting. Just sat pretty much an hour straight with this.
"Bastion-esque" level planes you can fall off the edge from (remember ToeJam & Earl? that sort of thing), combat pets, weapon upgrade drops, persistent character upgrades/skills bought with in-game currency accrued during gameplay. Free with IAPs (said in-game currencies).
Soooo... yeah, just spent like 2 days solid playing Quadropus Rampage.

It's a roguelike action game with unlockable persistent upgrades and perks, and a diablo-style weapon system with rarity tiers and random stats. It kinda reminds me of Binding of Isaac, but definitely unique. Controls are great too.

igRPTTp77G20t.png

ibrzEIOVAKtwjM.png

Here are a few video reviews of iCade supported titles (thanks Alextended!)

iCade hardware

Blazing Star
Shogun: Rise of the Renegade
Gridrunner
ElectroMaster
Enborn-X
Midway Arcade
Vectrex Regeneration
Temple Run

iboTkQfRDEmhoh.png

Here is a summary of other iOS game/iOS device related threads!

iOS Apps |OT|
iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

iOS 6 |OT|
iPhone 5 |OT|
iPad |OT|
iPad Mini |OT|

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ibllVuuZf89MBH.png

Rules

• Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs

###
The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see
###

i7WbZ38L31BER.png

Q - Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
A - Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely.
As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/ which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.

Q - I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
A - Best iOS Games Ever v1 / Best iOS Games Ever v2. You're welcome.

Q- For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini, or iPad 4?
A- Both have their pro's and con's. Mini is cheaper, and arguably a better grip for gaming, but the screen isn't as great and the device is less powerful than the 4. Most games these days all run fine on it, but I'm not sure about in a year.

Q- I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
A - This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

Q - How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
A - Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:

• Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents folder and copy it to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folder and all the contents. This contains your save files and settings for the game (a bunch of .lua files).
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents folder and choose to copy from PC/Mac
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents folder on your PC/Mac, open it and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder and all the contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!

Q - How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
A - Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).

iplfFuywJPpmt.png

Thanks to Fuu & Dash Kappei for handling the community list's past/present duties, Dash Kappei for running the iOS Challenges and finally past OT hosts for having done a wonderful job thus far for our community!

iIvAKGXMKuxW9.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ibrPwjEsMV3Qg5.png

Challenge's Timeframe

Starts June 28, 06:01 (PM) GMT IT'S OVER!
Ends: July 5, 23:45 (PM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time

Countdown to the end of the challenge:
t1373025300z0.png

TWITTER: @GAF_iOS_scores #GAFiOSchallenge
We will use Twitter to regularly post news about the challenges, screenshots of the submitted highscores, updates about the current highscore holder, reveals of the prizes put up for the challenge etc.
Follow us!

This Month's GAF iOS Challenge dedicated thread

GAF's iOS Challenge 8: Super Hexagon

Chosen Game

Super Hexagon

Specific conditions/game modes

- GAME MODE: Hexagon

Rules
  • To participate you just need the game and to add Dash Kappei on Game Center: (Dash Kappei GAF). As soon as you fire up the game and play it for the first time while being signed in to Game Center, you'll be part of the Challenge. That's it.
    Add "From GAF" and your nickname on GAF in your request or Dash Kappei won't add you to friends.
  • Challenge organizer can participate but is not eligible for any prizes.
  • Screenshots of the TOP 20* scores (TBD) will be posted in this specific post and in the specific GAF's iOS Challenge threads that exist for the duration of the challenge, so DON'T add me on Game Center or at least don't compete in the weekly challenge if you don't want your real name to be shown.
    You can easily avoid your real name to appear if you follow the few simple steps on the FAQ Section of this thread's OP (first post above) "How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?".
  • GAFers only, I won't accept requests from non-gaffers. Sorry lurkers.
  • Check the GAF GC members list handled by Dash Kappei if you want to add others, but being on the list isn't mandatory to play the iOS GAF Challenge. If you want to be on the list send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM following this exact text formatting:
    GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
    When you add someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Scores are valid only for the "This Week" section on the Leadearboards and those scores made before the challenge won't be counted for the full final results, even if mistakenly counted during the challenge.
  • You can still enter the Challenge even if it has already started, granted that I can accept your GC friend request on time. You can join the contest at any time, even if there's an hour to go.
  • Posting your new scores in the monthly iOS thread is encouraged as well as piosting your Game Center profile for others to check on your score when you do so. This is not at all mandatory anyway.
  • If you submit some ridiculousy good highscore you might be asked for proof: take an in-game screen (repeat: in-game and NOT of Game Center's own leaderboards) and post it in the challenge's thread when you die/loose and the game shows the score (grab a screenshot pushing the HOME + Power buttons at the same time). Failing to provide proof might even invalidate your score.
  • If you get caught cheating (messing with Game Center or similar scummy tactics) you can probably kiss your NeoGAF's account goodbye forever.

It's not at all forbidden to post about the challenge in the iOS Gaming |OT| like we did in the past, but this specific thread is here with the purpose to avoid the flood of posts sinking all others for a whole week in the TG's thread.
We also have prizes, plenty of awesome goods for you guys to earn!
If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, just CONTACT ME via PM.
Check below for all the infos.

i6mPod5muv6Zr.png

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge 8 |Official Thread|

SUPER HEXAGON: "You're Already Dead" [Click to go to the Official Thread for this Challenge]

Chosen Game

•Super Hexagon

Game Mode

•Hexagon

Current Challenge's Highscore Results

TOP20 [Click Here for the FULL Final Results -72 participants]

iWOlxk3sJHJLv.png

c3fhBfz.jpg

FJJlB9q.jpg

"A Masterpiece of Design Purity" - Edge: NINE out of TEN

-Super Hexagon on iTunes
(Universal App, $2.99/€2.79/£2.29
WLca6Yp.jpg

Developed by: Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV)
Music By: Chipzel
Super Hexagon OST for purchase/listening: http://chipzelmusic.bandcamp.com/album/super-hexagon-ep
Site: http://superhexagon.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ&feature=player_embedded
Super Hexagon |OT| by Wario64 (thanks!)

Super Hexagon is a twitchy arcade style game where you navigate a triangle clockwise or counter-clockwise around a hexagon while avoiding obstacles. It's much better than it sounds on paper, the soundtrack is killer and the game is the brain child of Indie's darling Terry Canavagh (of VVVVV's fame).

Try out Hexagon for free [Flash] : http://distractionware.com/games/flash/hexagon/

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1celNlGu78

mzl.qmdcvcnb.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.lqldmvro.480x480-75.jpg

-
tVhsdgt.jpg

If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, or if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw something neat the way of our challenges, simply CONTACT ME via PM.
Just check out some of the past GAF Challenges below to get an idea on how it works out.

~

•You see, Gaffers are mostly awesome dudes and member Pray For Death is definitely amongst that kind! PFD decided to support the competition by putting up a $10 US iTunes card for the WINNER of the Challenge!
ar6SWUT.jpg

•Then you have our kind friends at PikPok and Sidhe who've sponsored so many times with cool swag that I don't know how to thank them anymore. They're offering the 3 Steam codes for Shatter:
BEjG5g8CUAAVqpO.jpg:large

...and also something at least as good as the game itself (which is great, btw): 3 codes for the OST. These prizes will be for the #3, #4 and #5 scores.

GLLHcHu.jpg

Support these kind gaffers, check out their games!

You can reach the pikpok gaffers at the Official Website and on Twitter @pikpokgames

•I will contributing to the prize pot myself with surprise Steam codes for beloved Indie games like Limbo, Braid, Capsized+ and so on! The number of prizes will be defined at the end of the contest.

Dash Kappei

custom_1238730989106_Life-street.jpg

Our former challenges

Tiny Wings ( March 8th to March 15th, 2013) - All scores, 85 participants- Winner: AngryMoth
Canabalt (Ended on p357 of |OT2|, w/o thread) - All Scores, 63 participants - Winner: Dynamite Ringo Matsuri
Mr. Ninja (August 1st to August 7th, 2011) - All Scores, 74 participants - Winner: Koodo
Flick Kick Football (August 16th to August 23rd, 2011) - All Scores, 109 participants - Winner: Numble
Hard Lines (September 1st to September 8th, 2011) - All Scores, 98 participants - Winner: -Pyromaniac-
Bit.Trip.Beat Blitz (September 29th to October 6th, 2011) - All Scores, 33 participants - Winner: Numble

• Canabalt / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 63 participants

Congratulations, Dynamite Ringo Matsuri aka Zazen_Incidents!

ibrS8TAsOXWgsG.png

• MR. Ninja / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 74 participants

Congratulations, Kodoo!

ijhFdh6M3fxaO.png

• Flick Kick Football / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 109 participants

Congratulations, numble!

ilCWvviI5nu2p.png

• Hard Lines / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 98 participants

Congratulations, -Pyromaniac-!

iLD9h4jArecmq.png

• Bit Trip Blitz / Final Results -All scores 33 participants (1 retired)

Congratulations, numble!

ibenBBeYVunYaq.png

• Tiny Wings / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 85 participants

Congratulations, AngryMoth!

iJdOkZqa8ha8h.png

Thanks to:
Tunesmith for the new sweet banners, TOP 10s and helping out with GAF's iOS List and the GAF Challenges; Thanks to all the devs and publishers who have supported us in the past (PikPok, Beril, Simogo, Skybound... shoot me a pm if I've forgot to mention you, sorry about that!) and also of course to the GAF community at large but especially to some members who have contributed to the prizes' pool (like Pray For Death, Wario 64, myself ahah... again, contact me by pm if I've forgot to mention you -shame on me!-) and/or have been vocally supporting the challenges and helped me in making this contest a success and, more importantly, a lot of FUN!

updated for ios 7 look. spiffy :D

poking around at layton brothers still. great stuff. Any more impressions on that war zombie game? Heard the AI pathing was problematic.

How does Layton brothers compare to the main Layton games (love 'em)?

completely different. It's barely a game, more like an interactive crime novel. Kinda like phoenix wright, but with a bit more involvement?

Closest analogy is probably your favorite CBS crime show, where you try to figure out the killer before the show ends.

First 2 levels are free so give those a shot.

RetroStu

Banned
I don't get how people enjoy these kind of 'throw away' games and the blatant rip off games etc on tablets but i do have to say that the arcade cabinet for I-Pad above looks cool!.

Been loving Xcom on the iPad. I'm not normally big on strategy, but it's keeping me hooked.

I'm still so on the fence about this.. I don't own a 360/PS3 anymore and I'm mildly interesting, but having never spent $20 in one purchase on the iPad still makes me hesitant. I'm just a bit too easily distracted when it comes to iOS games I guess. (I usually play a game for a day or two only to never touch it again..).

heringer

completely different. It's barely a game, more like an interactive crime novel. Kinda like phoenix wright, but with a bit more involvement?

Closest analogy is probably your favorite CBS crime show, where you try to figure out the killer before the show ends.

First 2 levels are free so give those a shot.

I would say less involvement. It's like Phoenix Wright light. Ocasionally clever, but you can't really lose (small ammount of trial and error will get you by just fine) and most of the solutions are spelled out to you anyway.

The first two cases shows very well what you get, gameplay wise.

It's fun for what it is though. Great soundtrack and presentation. It's no Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright, but worth $5.

Been loving Xcom on the iPad. I'm not normally big on strategy, but it's keeping me hooked.

Which iPad are you using? How is the framerate?

chris121580

I'm still so on the fence about this.. I don't own a 360/PS3 anymore and I'm mildly interesting, but having never spent $20 in one purchase on the iPad still makes me hesitant. I'm just a bit too easily distracted when it comes to iOS games I guess. (I usually play a game for a day or two only to never touch it again..).

It's a no brainer if you don't own a 360 or PS3

Dash Kappei

I don't get how people enjoy these kind of 'throw away' games and the blatant rip off games etc on tablets but i do have to say that the arcade cabinet for I-Pad above looks cool!.

Why do you enjoy this blatant rip off throw away game?! Shame on you Smokey

it's hilarious.. Wait, no, it's really SAD how ignorant peoole are are on a "core-gamers"' message board like GAF

People are so stubborn and close minded that they still think we're stuck with 2009’s mobile games.
For some genre IOS now puts to shame the other handheld's libraries, rivals and surpasses every platform bar the mighty PC and it's filled with experiences you can't enjoy anywhere else, the prices and Appstore's business model means you'll find plenty of me-too games or tons of shovelware, but that comes with the success of the platform and why should I even care? It makes the games super affordable and I'm an educated gamer who has the tools and knowledge to get what interests me instead of piles of crap.

I mean, I could NEVER do without my 3DS, but on there I have the incredible Fire Emblem (and the very good GR Shadow Wars), right?
Here I have the definitive version of Final Fantasy Tactics, Kotor, Baldur's Gate EE, Warhammer Quest, XCOM, Plats vs Zombies 1/2 HD...
Let's not talk about strategy games, board games, tower defense... It absolutely destroy even the main consoles.

I couldn't be without my Resident Evil's and Marios like I couldn't do without Dodonpachi Maximum, Rayman Jungle Run, Groove Coaster, Jukebeat, Swords and Poker, Super Hexagon, Raiden Legacy and so on...

Zodzilla

Have it for both 360 and got it for my 4s; buy this game.

Guessing the reason you play iOS games for only a day or two is because (to be honest) the majority of iOS games aren't as deep or as rich as this one is. You'll easily get your 20 bucks out of it. It's amazing and there's a reason many major magazines gave it GOTY last year.

SmokyDave

I'm usually more in favour of 'quick fix' games, but Xcom seems like it's definitely worth sinking some serious time into. It plays really well on the iPad too, a few camera quirks here 'n' there, but I think that's the game rather than the platform.

Which iPad are you using? How is the framerate?
iPad 3. I'm not terribly sensitive to frame rates outside of racing games so I'll just say that I haven't noticed any major slowdown. It's a pretty slow paced game though.

Finished the first 2 free cases in Layton and the rest seem pretty well price ($2.99 for 3 and $1.99 for the final 2), but just wondering if anyone here has played them and has any feedback?

Also are they included in the original download or do I need to download the cases after purchasing them? I just moved apartment and am stuck on 3G for a while.

heringer

Finished the first 2 free cases in Layton and the rest seem pretty well price ($2.99 for 3 and $1.99 for the final 2), but just wondering if anyone here has played them and has any feedback?

Also are they included in the original download or do I need to download the cases after purchasing them? I just moved apartment and am stuck on 3G for a while.

You just unlock them. No need to download.

Like I said before, the first two cases represent very well what you get. If you feel inclined to buy the rest, buy it. If you don't, don't.

You just unlock them. No need to download.

Like I said before, the first two cases represent very well what you get. If you feel inclined to buy the rest, buy it. If you don't, don't.

Great, thanks for the info! I'm going to buy them :) Hope they get a little more difficult or at least hold your hand a little less - it seems weird that you can examine everything in the crime scene and then when completing the Deduction part of the case you go back to examining everything again.

PittaGAF

The updated OP with iOS7 look is really a nice touch.
Awesome job as usual.

Another +1 to XCOM...I'm constanly playing it on iPad 3 and iPhone 4S and I'm having a blast.
Surprisingly solid port of an awesome game.

Great, thanks for the info! I'm going to buy them :) Hope they get a little more difficult or at least hold your hand a little less - it seems weird that you can examine everything in the crime scene and then when completing the Deduction part of the case you go back to examining everything again.

the whole guess who's the criminal at the beginning of a case is optional though. It's like going out and doing a job improv, or being prepared beforehand is how i take it lol.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Damnit guys, please post a link to the new thread in the old one before closing it in the future. It's hard to find otherwise :p I was sure it'd be in gaming community since that's where it'll most likely be moved to once a mod finds it... turns out, that's not where it was. :D

Damnit guys, please post a link to the new thread in the old one before closing it in the future. It's hard to find otherwise :p I was sure it'd be in gaming community since that's where it'll most likely be moved to once a mod finds it... turns out, that's not where it was. :D

Why would you think the iOS thread would be in gaming community? It's never been there.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Why would you think the iOS thread would be in gaming community? It's never been there.

Because EviLore went on a huge "we're moving every self-sustaining thread into community" about a month ago or so, moving a ton of threads. I just assumed iOS gaming was one of those threads too.

Or maybe he only applied that to OT, that could be too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My iPad 2 finally shat the bed after SOMEBODY (but totally not the wife) dropped it. Just picked up a retina version. Looking forward to catching up on games like X-Com that take advantage of the better hardware.

Because EviLore went on a huge "we're moving every self-sustaining thread into community" about a month ago or so, moving a ton of threads. I just assumed iOS gaming was one of those threads too.

well its like the same thing, its just there is a new ios OT every month instead ;)

Dash Kappei

My iPad 2 finally shat the bed after SOMEBODY (but totally not the wife) dropped it. Just picked up a retina version. Looking forward to catching up on games like X-Com that take advantage of the better hardware.

Please tell me you haven't picked up an iPad 3 ie New iPad.
If you did, you'd better look into returning it IMO.

PittaGAF said:
The updated OP with iOS7 look is really a nice touch.
Awesome job as usual.

Tunesmith's eye for details and design taste is really something else, innit?
Always so... perfect. And cool without going for fireworks. Love it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Megathreads move to Community, we stay lean and fresh!

I second that.

kodt

Banned
I got whatever generation they're currently on. Why, what's wrong with it? Seems to work fine so far...

4th Gen (current) is good. 3rd Gen had the Retina screen but the GPU could not always keep up with rendering games at that resolution. So in several cases a game would run better on iPad 2 than iPad 3. 4th gen is fine and much better than either.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
4th Gen is good. 3rd Gen had the Retina screen but the GPU could not always keep up with rendering games at that resolution. So in several cases a game would run better on iPad 2 than iPad 3. 4th gen is fine and much better than either.

I bought it from a Best Buy today. Just says iPad. How can I tell if I got the correct version?

kodt

Banned
I bought it from a Best Buy today. Just says iPad. How can I tell if I got the correct version?

They don't sell the 3rd gen anymore unless you bought refurbished.

If you really want to be sure check the model number on the back:

A1458 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi
A1459 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
A1460 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM)

A1403 on the iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ)
A1430 on the iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
A1416 on the iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi

Seeing Home mentioned above reminded me of an iOS game I saw a few people talking about in an earlier thread a few months ago. I meant to pick it up, but I forgot. I think it was some kind of horror, or thriller, but that's all I really know about it.

I know that's not a lot to go on, but if anybody thinks they know what I'm thinking of, it'd be really appreciated.

haven't played a kairosoft game in ages, any of the recent ones any good? Think last one i got was restaurant one, so missed the fashion one and i think the sushi one.

dream

They don't sell the 3rd gen anymore unless you bought refurbished.

If you really want to be sure check the model number on the back:

Wouldn't it be much easier to just, you know, check the connector port?

bonesquad

Seeing Home mentioned above reminded me of an iOS game I saw a few people talking about in an earlier thread a few months ago. I meant to pick it up, but I forgot. I think it was some kind of horror, or thriller, but that's all I really know about it.

I know that's not a lot to go on, but if anybody thinks they know what I'm thinking of, it'd be really appreciated.

Year Walk?

PittaGAF

Year Walk?

EDIT:beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom