• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2016 | When Ember leaves start to fall

Oynox

Can you let me know what do you do to pair it?
Just turning it on with the swift in the side, pairing it through bluetooth, and starting the game?
I tried Alto's Adventure, and the game just didn't respond to the controller. Plus, the controller lights were blinking red all the time. :/
Pretty much was MB said.

Forget the controller via Bluetooth settings, long press the reset button on the back of the controller and do the pairing process again after you updated there firmware of the stratus. There is a tool available on the manufacturers page.

FerranMG

If the lights are blinking, it often means that you haven't paired the controller correctly. Normally just going through the bluetooth settings is enough if its written "paired" next to the stratus. Look out for software updates to the stratus as well, some controllers do have/need them though I don't know about this particular controller.

You should also try un-pairing/re-pairing it and trying another game that supports MFi controllers just to be sure.

Pretty much was MB said.

Forget the controller via Bluetooth settings, long press the reset button on the back of the controller and do the pairing process again after you updated there firmware of the stratus. There is a tool available on the manufacturers page.

Thanks, will try that and report back.
Cheers, guys.

awp69

Downloaded and loving it already. Some small changes in the way nitro works and the focus on more off-road vehicles means much wider maps for racing, terrain that can affect your speed, etc.

F2P seems pretty similar to A8, which was very generous IMO for how much you could play without spending a dime.

There is a new energy (oil) meter. Those kind of restrictions were primarily for multiplayer and challenges in A8, but gives quite a bit of energy to start and you can buy it with coins at low prices -- to start at least. Played four races and probably still had over half of my oil left.

Overall, I'd say if you are a fan of A8 like I was, you'll find just as much to love here. If you weren't into it, it probably won't change your mind.

Only criticism is the tilt controls seem a little stiff right now.

Edit: Set the tilt sensitivity to 60 and it is pretty spot. Still early to judge the freemium model. But I'm totally digging it.

Teggy

Well the Prune update that was supposed to restore other people's save game seems to have wiped out mine :\

Still loving Clash Royale. I think the simplicity of the multiplayer is what makes it so addictive. No need to worry about finding a server, or a mode and map, or any of that. You just tap Battle. It gives multiplayer the immediacy and one-more-go nature of an arcade game.

Plus there's an almost card-counting nature to the strategy, since you can only have 10 energy. So you estimate out how much energy your opponent has after his play and then counter

Jarsonot

I hope TA updates the app at some point. I hate seeing the scaled font in 2016.

I don't remember when or where (I think it was on TA) but I read that they can't update the app and keep the price tracking or something. They know it's outdated but feel like keeping the pricing is worth being out of date.

Voidance

I don't remember when or where (I think it was on TA) but I read that they can't update the app and keep the price tracking or something. They know it's outdated but feel like keeping the pricing is worth being out of date.
That makes sense. In that case, it's okay to be a little outdated.

bonesquad

On the plus side, there's a few nice sales going on to fill the gap...

Severed $3
Crypt of the Necrodancer $2
Road Not Taken $2

Maybe others for some kind of Halloween sale?

awp69

On the plus side, there's a few nice sales going on to fill the gap...

Severed $3
Crypt of the Necrodancer $2
Road Not Taken $2

Maybe others for some kind of Halloween sale?

Those are all great deals -- especially on Severed and Necrodancer.

Here's a some more:

Hero Emblems $1.99
The Room Three $1.99
Shadowmatic $.99
Sanitarium $1.99
Don't Die Mr. Robot! - Free (no reason to not grab this. Great little tilt based arcade game)
Skulduggery $1.99
Imbroglio $2.99
Whispering Willows $.99
Sproggiwood $1.99
Surgeon Simulator $1.99
I am Bread $1.99
Vanquisher $1.99

Arroyo

Neo Member
Those are all great deals -- especially on Severed and Necrodancer.

Here's a some more:

Hero Emblems $1.99
The Room Three $1.99
Shadowmatic $.99
Sanitarium $1.99
Don't Die Mr. Robot! - Free (no reason to not grab this. Great little tilt based arcade game)
Skulduggery $1.99
Imbroglio $2.99
Whispering Willows $.99
Sproggiwood $1.99
Surgeon Simulator $1.99
I am Bread $1.99
Vanquisher $1.99

I think I'll buy The Room Three. I loved the two previous instalments and I'm in the mood for more puzzles.

--

What do you think of The Second Age? I finished the part one but I found it too easy and I haven't found its 'great storytelling' yet. Does it get better on part two?

killercow

I think I'll buy The Room Three. I loved the two previous instalments and I'm in the mood for more puzzles.

--

What do you think of The Second Age? I finished the part one but I found it too easy and I haven't found its 'great storytelling' yet. Does it get better on part two?

I thought that part two was better and a great finale. It doesn't get a lot more complicated but its longer :)

awp69

Sonic CD is now permanently free. Came with an update, announcement in the game's description and, more disturbingly, a listing that now says in-app purchases.

Going to download it to see what changed.

Edit: Yep, now served with a happy helping of ads, which can be removed with an IAP. This is sad because it clearly does not recognize if you purchased the game originally. And if this game did it, that leads me to believe Saga will likely update their other games to do so.

So if you have other Sonic games or anything else from Sega, might want to start redownloading those puppies if you want to avoid ads or paying a second time for it.

killercow

Sonic CD is now permanently free. Came with an update, announcement in the game's description and, more disturbingly, a listing that now says in-app purchases.

Going to download it to see what changed.

Ads have been added and the iAP is to remove them. The problem is, if I understood correctly, that those who purchased the app before must pay again.

awp69

Ads have been added and the iAP is to remove them. The problem is, if I understood correctly, that those who purchased the app before must pay again.

Yes, just updated my post and I did buy the game so that's ridiculous and now has me worried about all other Sega games. BS.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I reinstalled Exiled Kingdoms again on my phone. Not sure if anyone here has played it, but it's definitely an overlooked gem of a game. It's an open world ARPG. Definitely more for those who like the more "old school" vibe over the new and flashy stuff.

Teggy

So, is Sanitarium worth it or should I just put those two bucks on Severed?

I mean, Sanitarium is a solid old P&C game, but Severed is a great game made for touch controls. I think it's going to be in my top 10 across all platforms.

putermcgee

Apparently a Sega Rep on Twitter says paid users were not supposed to get ads and they are looking into it. Hope it was indeed a mistake.
I feel like any time this happens, there's usually a follow-up update that fixes the ads for paid users. I'm not ready to grab a pitchfork just yet, but I'm also not going to update the app.

awp69

I feel like any time this happens, there's usually a follow-up update that fixes the ads for paid users. I'm not ready to grab a pitchfork just yet, but I'm also not going to update the app.

The only reason I'm hesitant to believe Sega is they turned House of the Dead: Overkill to F2P with unlocks for each episode. And those like me that paid for the full game got screwed because Sega never fixed it. (Think it's now gone from the App Store)

That said Sonic is much higher profile so they may have more motivation to fix it. The game is getting trashed on the App Store because of the update.

Teggy

Bug Butcher is supposed to have Mfi support, right? I'm only able to move left and right and nothing else. This is on 10.1.

Is there a GAF sanctioned best of list by category? I'm mainly looking for pick up and play puzzle or score attack games.

My two go to games at the moment are Sage Solitaire and Tomb of the Mask.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I believe its pretty hard to reliably make this sort of switch. There isn't any way to automatically tell whether a particular user paid up front or not. The best you can do is anticipate such a change or otherwise be tracking that when the user has booted the game at least once.

But I don't think that accounts for either users that never opened the app before now, or who have deleted and reinstalled (unless that payer info was in their online profile which they reconnect to).

There are always going to be edge cases where a gamer gets burned in this situation. They probably should have taken it down and/or released a standalone free version.

FerranMG

If the lights are blinking, it often means that you haven't paired the controller correctly. Normally just going through the bluetooth settings is enough if its written "paired" next to the stratus. Look out for software updates to the stratus as well, some controllers do have/need them though I don't know about this particular controller.

You should also try un-pairing/re-pairing it and trying another game that supports MFi controllers just to be sure.

Pretty much was MB said.

Repairing the controller did the trick.
Thanks, guys.

awp69

Bug Butcher is supposed to have Mfi support, right? I'm only able to move left and right and nothing else. This is on 10.1.

Not officially but it will be coming (along with Apple and Android TV support). I know on Android I cannot navigate menus at all with the controller.

awp69

Sega already put out an update that removes the ads for previous owners of Sonic CD. Downloaded it and it asks for your iTunes password so I'm guessing that's part of the method they're using to verify it.

Nice to see them deal with it quickly.

putermcgee

I believe its pretty hard to reliably make this sort of switch. There isn't any way to automatically tell whether a particular user paid up front or not. The best you can do is anticipate such a change or otherwise be tracking that when the user has booted the game at least once.

But I don't think that accounts for either users that never opened the app before now, or who have deleted and reinstalled (unless that payer info was in their online profile which they reconnect to).

There are always going to be edge cases where a gamer gets burned in this situation. They probably should have taken it down and/or released a standalone free version.

Sega already put out an update that removes the ads for previous owners of Sonic CD. Downloaded it and it asks for your iTunes password so I'm guessing that's part of the method they're using to verify it.

Nice to see them deal with it quickly.
*Phew* Glad I didn't get bent out of shape!

I thought they would be able to check when a customer purchased the app, and just remove the ads for anyone who bought it before the update. If that's not something developers can do, another option would be to disable ads for existing customers, swallowing the loss of ad revenue in this first 24 hours or so of being free.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
*Phew* Glad I didn't get bent out of shape!

I thought they would be able to check when a customer purchased the app, and just remove the ads for anyone who bought it before the update. If that's not something developers can do, another option would be to disable ads for existing customers, swallowing the loss of ad revenue in this first 24 hours or so of being free.

That still relies on existing customers having played it within that window. If someone bought it a while ago, it would likely be weeks or even months before they otherwise organically return to the game.

Top Bottom