• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Does it let you play your own music in the background?

That is one of the things that pisses me off about Hunters - every single time you go to the menu it stops your music playback since they decided their background had to be a quicktime movie.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Dun dun duuun

Trailer

ONLY OUT IN NZ CURRENTLY, Worldwide release on May 2

Brought to you in beautiful HD pixelated glory, Star Command brings to life the challenges and joys of managing a starship. Upgrade your ship, get out into the unknown and watch your crew die grizzly deaths all at your command. Strange and exotic alien civilizations await you at every turn. Manage each of your ships roles, focusing on science skills, tactical combat and ship engineering. Prevent alien invaders from taking over your ship and causing massive amounts of damage with sentry guns. Revive dying crew members with new rooms! And don’t forget that your decisions matter - an enemy made early could come back to haunt you later.

✔ Level your crew members up and earn new skills
✔ Build a ship in your own image!
✔ Four distinct ship hulls to choose from
✔ Focus on tactical, science or engineering
✔ Amazing soundtrack intensifies the action and exploration
✔ Over 10 alien species to discover
✔ Premium game - no in app purchase roadblocks​

Trailer

An epic adventure through a land of monsters and magic.

★ Plot your own journey across a hand-drawn 3D world map
★ Fully interactive story, with 1000s of choices
★ The story is rewritten on the fly based on how you play
★ Unique touch-based sword-duelling, with procedurally-generated descriptions of the action
★ Outwit monsters by learning their weaknesses and tells
★ 48 magic spells to master, with weird and wonderful effects that change the story

"The Shamutanti Hills" is Part 1 of 4. Part 2, "Kharé: Cityport of Traps", is coming soon to the App Store! - Each part will be a separate app but saves will carry across each!

Tayaya

I'm new here, having lurked around for literally years but dragging my feet on actually signing up and signing in until just recently, but I just have to give my respect to those that organize the OTs for every game and even this iOS game thread.... the lead posts on every thread are just brilliantly laid out, always look great, and are just packed with information to get one pumped up about any new release. Seeing info from last month's thread ported over into the bigger games on this month's thread just shows a level of community dedication that I've never seen anywhere else. So yeah... just in awe over here.

On topic, though.... picked up Eclipse today and am grabbing Star Command tomorrow! It's great to see so many of the games I've been waiting for coming out all in such a short span... I've been sitting on iTunes credit for ages and now just get to burn through it all!

Lee N

Membre
So, Gem Fighter by CatCap on the App Store is pretty shameless.

mzl.ryqfpodb.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.eglbqsoc.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.mkbhoohl.320x480-75.jpg

The description is pretty hilarious too...

- Unique creative play
- With the classic role you grow
- Delicate game screen
- Brilliant game effects
- Playable game levels
- Simple mode of operation
- Exciting game modes
- Perfect social system

I won't include any link because you probably shouldn't give these guys any money.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Honestly, I kind of want that. I desperately need a proper port of Puzzle Fighter on my phone. If it wasn't for the tacky rip-off characters I'd buy it right now.

Heel

Dun dun duuun

Trailer

Brought to you in beautiful HD pixelated glory, Star Command brings to life the challenges and joys of managing a starship. Upgrade your ship, get out into the unknown and watch your crew die grizzly deaths all at your command. Strange and exotic alien civilizations await you at every turn. Manage each of your ships roles, focusing on science skills, tactical combat and ship engineering. Prevent alien invaders from taking over your ship and causing massive amounts of damage with sentry guns. Revive dying crew members with new rooms! And don’t forget that your decisions matter - an enemy made early could come back to haunt you later.

✔ Level your crew members up and earn new skills
✔ Build a ship in your own image!
✔ Four distinct ship hulls to choose from
✔ Focus on tactical, science or engineering
✔ Amazing soundtrack intensifies the action and exploration
✔ Over 10 alien species to discover
✔ Premium game - no in app purchase roadblocks​

Trailer

An epic adventure through a land of monsters and magic.

★ Plot your own journey across a hand-drawn 3D world map
★ Fully interactive story, with 1000s of choices
★ The story is rewritten on the fly based on how you play
★ Unique touch-based sword-duelling, with procedurally-generated descriptions of the action
★ Outwit monsters by learning their weaknesses and tells
★ 48 magic spells to master, with weird and wonderful effects that change the story

"The Shamutanti Hills" is Part 1 of 4. Part 2, "Kharé: Cityport of Traps", is coming soon to the App Store! - Each part will be a separate app but saves will carry across each!

Nice. Firaxis' "Haunted Hollow" gets a wide launch tonight too. Plus some kind of Angry Birds game. Looks like a nice week.

colinp

Banned
Autumn Dynasty is getting a lite release tonight, will definitely give that a shot and see how it plays.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Two things:

1) Steve Jackson's Sorcery is REALLY well done. I'm absolutely enamored with it - it might be my favorite example of interactive fiction to date. Don't sleep on it Thursday. Maybe it falls apart as it progresses but man... so far so good.

2) The next IGN Free Game of the Month launches Friday. Twin-stick shooter fans... prepare yourselves!

Megasoum

Banned
So is Star Command supposed to be some kind of "rogue like" like FTL or is it more of a long form traditional campaign?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sid Meier has an iOS game coming out on the 9th called Ace Patrol. It's a WWI flight combat game that just happens to be... turn based? Uh that sounds odd and awesome. Sid Meier was actually hands on with this one devleoping and coding it, which he hasn't done in a long ass time.

Can't wait to try it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sid Meier has an iOS game coming out on the 9th called Ace Patrol. It's a WWI flight combat game that just happens to be... turn based? Uh that sounds odd and awesome. Sid Meier was actually hands on with this one devleoping and coding it, which he hasn't done in a long ass time.

Can't wait to try it.

Sorry for continually linking to my own stuff but... it's so relevant! I have an 11-minute developer demo of Ace Patrol:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/01/ace-patrol-developer-demo

I don't remember if we were recording when we talked about this or not, but Firaxis was telling me that Sid basically made the entire game himself. He just borrowed some artists to pretty it up. All the design, code, math and tactics are from him directly. Pretty cool.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Can't wait to try it.

Just saw the video posted above and it looks right up my alley. Very nice surprise, coming in a week or so.

krYlon

I have my eyes on Sorcery for tonight, didn't know it was a gamebook, that's awesome!

Not just any old gamebook either. The Sorcery series, along with Creature of Havoc, were probably the best out of all the Fighting Fantasy books. I hope this conversion doesn't stray too far away from the original text, it seems like quite a change.

That said, the first part is very small in scope compared to the later three. So this will just be a taster.

Sorry for continually linking to my own stuff but... it's so relevant! I have an 11-minute developer demo of Ace Patrol:

I don't remember if we were recording when we talked about this or not, but Firaxis was telling me that Sid basically made the entire game himself. He just borrowed some artists to pretty it up. All the design, code, math and tactics are from him directly. Pretty cool.

Thanks, the good games seem to just keep rolling.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hopping over here from the iOS board games thread.

Eclipse is amazing -- everyone please get it! My recommendation would be play the tutorial then read the in-game rules. This should take about 45m total at most. The developer really did an amazing job of putting such a sprawling and amazing game on iPad. Definitely in my top 3 iOS board games along with Carcassonne and Ascension.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm new here, having lurked around for literally years but dragging my feet on actually signing up and signing in until just recently, but I just have to give my respect to those that organize the OTs for every game and even this iOS game thread.... the lead posts on every thread are just brilliantly laid out, always look great, and are just packed with information to get one pumped up about any new release. Seeing info from last month's thread ported over into the bigger games on this month's thread just shows a level of community dedication that I've never seen anywhere else. So yeah... just in awe over here.

On topic, though.... picked up Eclipse today and am grabbing Star Command tomorrow! It's great to see so many of the games I've been waiting for coming out all in such a short span... I've been sitting on iTunes credit for ages and now just get to burn through it all!

Welcome aboard sir!

Heel

Wow, the movement system is genius.

Minsc

Gold Member
Not just any old gamebook either. The Sorcery series, along with Creature of Havoc, were probably the best out of all the Fighting Fantasy books. I hope this conversion doesn't stray too far away from the original text, it seems like quite a change.

That said, the first part is very small in scope compared to the later three. So this will just be a taster.

I saw it was mentioned too that Part 2 has already begun production, and there is a way to transfer your character from the first part forward (explained in the app), and each part will be a separate app. Great to hear all these boardgames getting good impressions.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Bought Shadow Wars during a sale for €2,50 at my local Saturn probably not going to find it cheaper on ios. I am going on a trip this weekend and looking for some endless runners or tower defense games anybody got any advice on those? for ios 4.2.1 or lower since i only bringing my ipod 2g and not my ipad.

Anything old (Super Bit Bash, Run Like Hell etc.) I can recommend requires at least 4.3 now due to updates sorry

edit: found a couple! Used to like the paid app, now it's free with iap and requires 4.0

I Must Run! Reloaded

ty2sL.jpg

This is on sale for €0,89 and it's not really "endless" but pretty cool, runs on 3.0:

Mirror's Edge

oipic

Gosh! Is this Sorcery of which you guys speak really based on this book?

250px-Shamutanti_Hills.jpg

Talk about a blast from the past, I loved this when I was a young bloke. I recall shamelessly tracing/copying the manticore on the cover for an 'original' fantasy art piece for a school project, too.

I guess given all that history I'm compelled to check out this app/game/book thing, right? Sounds like a plan.

Flunkie

Banned
I've bought so many board games in the past couple days. $100 GC burning a hole in my pocket. And so much more to buy coming out tonight too...

I think I need to see some video of this game... It doesn't look like much to me.

It's fun, but it's not mindblowing. Worth $5 I think. But no more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sorcery! (the books) are quite fun and very engaging. If anyone likes old-style roleplaying, I recommend 'em. Mine are falling apart they've been used so much :(

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think I need to see some video of this game... It doesn't look like much to me.

It's a RPG that plays like a classic board game. You roll around the board completing quests by rolling for combat damage from cards you draw like the community chest in Monopoly. I'd say if you like board games and RPGs it'd likely appeal to you. It's definitely old school feeling.

TxdoHawk

Man, so much good stuff. I need to go burn some Best Buy reward points on some iTunes store credit. Can't wait for the new Sid Meier game too.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Looks like Eclipse is a bit too popular - received a Maximum game count reached error trying to create an online game earlier, lol.

Can't wait to try it.

Looks cool. I would LOVE a Gettysburg port. HINT. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom