• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinp

Banned
Is Talisman fun single player, though?

If you're hesitant you probably won't fall in love with it. Honestly, I find it pretty dull. As I mentioned in the April thread, maybe I'm too young to appreciate the old school flavor (I'm 30).

ToxicAdam

Sorry for continually linking to my own stuff but... it's so relevant! I have an 11-minute developer demo of Ace Patrol:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/01/ace-patrol-developer-demo

I don't remember if we were recording when we talked about this or not, but Firaxis was telling me that Sid basically made the entire game himself. He just borrowed some artists to pretty it up. All the design, code, math and tactics are from him directly. Pretty cool.

Looks great. Day one on this.

Kind of reminds me of a beefier Steambirds.

PaineReign

Neo Member
Wario just tweeted: Star Command is up in iTunes
mzl.qtbkxifq.320x480-75.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If you're hesitant you probably won't fall in love with it. Honestly, I find it pretty dull. As I mentioned in the April thread, maybe I'm too young to appreciate the old school flavor (I'm 30).

But...30 is old. Comparatively speaking. Heh.

WE'RE ALMOST THE SAME AGE!!

Sorry for continually linking to my own stuff but... it's so relevant! I have an 11-minute developer demo of Ace Patrol:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/01/ace-patrol-developer-demo

I don't remember if we were recording when we talked about this or not, but Firaxis was telling me that Sid basically made the entire game himself. He just borrowed some artists to pretty it up. All the design, code, math and tactics are from him directly. Pretty cool.
This looks great. iOS needs a Pre-Order feature.

Juice

I haven't been playi ios games for almost two years.

Any really easy to pick up, addictive games to play in the last 18 months? Preferably in which you level up or accrue resources/loot?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Star Command is so mine. Glad the wait is finally over. I'm still really bummed out that there's no free roaming (yet?), I'd to be able to create my own adventures in a game like this, but I 'spose that would be pretty difficult for such a tiny studio to pull off. But otherwise, it seems like a very polished product. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into it.

EDIT - I'm surprised they didn't do IAP's considering the token system is used for so much. Good on them.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I haven't been playi ios games for almost two years.

Any really easy to pick up, addictive games to play in the last 18 months? Preferably in which you level up or accrue resources/loot?

Pen and Paper RPG, maybe.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RE: Star Command...how do you put out fires? It told me to send one of my dudes towards it, but they just stand there and burn. I need to put that shit out at some point. All the crew/room management stuff reminds me a lot of FTL, which is a good thing.

RE: Star Command...how do you put out fires? It told me to send one of my dudes towards it, but they just stand there and burn. I need to put that shit out at some point. All the crew/room management stuff reminds me a lot of FTL, which is a good thing.

I'm quickly starting to wish it had a pause option like FTL. I'm only two battles in and it's already getting pretty hectic.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm quickly starting to wish it had a pause option like FTL. I'm only two battles in and it's already getting pretty hectic.

Yeah, I feel ya. The controls work as they should but on my little 4S screen it's not always easy to select an exact place for my dudes to go without zooming way in. Pausing would help prevent bad feels from accidentally sending dudes to the wrong place.

Anyways, it seems worthy of an OT so I'll throw one up early tomorrow if no one else wants to. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. That fire is still going, but at least it doesn't seem to spread like in FTL.

sueil

Got my first ios device today with an ipad 4. Been enjoying it a lot so far I haven't played many games tho. Some of the ones releasing today look pretty interesting and will probably dive in.

Make sure they're the yellow shirted engineers that you send over, they'll put out fires and repair hull breaches.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member

I thought this looked great. I actually had a quick dig for an OT to post in as I figured that a new Sid Meier game would be thread worthy.

It's a shame that it's a freemium title though. If the total cost for the game is under $15, I'll bite. If not, I'll sadly be voting with my wallet.

Edit: Star Command is tempting. What does everyone think of it so far?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Make sure they're the yellow shirted engineers that you send over, they'll put out fires and repair hull breaches.

Excellent, thanks. I actually had the same idea, but I think I sent over a blue dude instead.

Wow, my crew just got wiped by zombie boarders. I must have wandered into some dangerous territory, because I was not prepared for that shit, there were like 40 of them.

sueil

Bought Sorcery, Talisman and Star Command. Talisman seems pretty well made / fun. Time to try the others.

I thought this looked great. I actually had a quick dig for an OT to post in as I figured that a new Sid Meier game would be thread worthy.

It's a shame that it's a freemium title though. If the total cost for the game is under $15, I'll bite. If not, I'll sadly be voting with my wallet.
I think they said the first campaign was free, then there would be three more campaigns at $0.99 each.

RustyO

I'm really getting more and more into iOS gaming, and music making on the phone.

@Tunesmith: Really do apprecaite the effort put into the OP/threads; the place I come when looking for new games. (And everyone else invloved)

Random thoughts as I procrastinate from work...

- Score! : Amusing enough, I've caned it... would be awesome if not so linear and soooo chock full of ads (guess it was free though)

- Star Command - I think I might grab this tonight.

- Sorcery! - I'm going to hold off on this for a bit. Remember / enjoyed the games back in the day; just not sure on the episodic content view point.

Anticipated...

- Kingdom Rush - Frontiers : Currently replaying KR again.
- Warhammer Quest : I do like some Hunters...
- Space Hulk : If it is anything like it should be...
- Lone Wolf : Saw a preview the other day, seems kind of like Sorcery! in some ways.
- Sid Meier's Ace Patrol : Looks like my kind of thing.

The video (page 1) indicated 99c for the British campaign and $1.99 for the other three, so $7 all up.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm new here, having lurked around for literally years but dragging my feet on actually signing up and signing in until just recently, but I just have to give my respect to those that organize the OTs for every game and even this iOS game thread.... the lead posts on every thread are just brilliantly laid out, always look great, and are just packed with information to get one pumped up about any new release. Seeing info from last month's thread ported over into the bigger games on this month's thread just shows a level of community dedication that I've never seen anywhere else. So yeah... just in awe over here.

On topic, though.... picked up Eclipse today and am grabbing Star Command tomorrow! It's great to see so many of the games I've been waiting for coming out all in such a short span... I've been sitting on iTunes credit for ages and now just get to burn through it all!
Much appreciated, it's a pleasure curating these things. :) Welcome!
@Tunesmith: Really do apprecaite the effort put into the OP/threads; the place I come when looking for new games. (And everyone else invloved)
You're welcome, thanks a lot!

---

The OP hungers for some NeoGAF box quotes™ to.. quote for the OP for Star Command and Sorcery! :)

It would seem someone plopped the cork on the drought of quality iOS games all in one go this month, let's hope it sticks this way.

Will wait on the FTL port I think, sounds like the PC version of Star Command is getting the sandbox mode.

This is pretty much what I was thinking when I was playing it. "Man I wish I was playing FTL".

Where are the Star Command impressions??

Very briefly, it is still "good" but it is $2.99 good, not "good good" if you know what I mean. I don't think there is enough there to hold the interest for long.

Heel

Dats pocket tactics mah friend.

Edit: you were fast, but not fast enough...

They have succeeded in putting me off as well, I figured if it was at least repayable on new game + then it might have some longevity but the campaign takes about 3 hours all told...

Will wait on the FTL port I think, sounds like the PC version of Star Command is getting the sandbox mode.

lol whoops. Yeah, definitely trust their opinion when it comes to games in their wheelhouse like this one. Always curious to hear more from GAF'ers, though.

Folstern

Where are the Star Command impressions??
It's good but I don't think it'll live up to some expectations. I've found the combat to be frantic and fun and I'm enjoying the pseudo-Star Trek writing. I can see the potential in it, so hopefully they don't abandon it anytime soon.

PittaGAF

On the other hand, Sorcery is fucking awesome, great aesthetic.

Nice! Thanks!

EDIT (somehow I missed pasting the important part):
As someone who didn't enjoy a lot the 'choose your own path' books digital adaptation (I tried with the exceptionally made Tinsomething games) because I love to be part of a story, but I hate replaying the same part over and over to select other routes...would you say it's enjoyable?

Too bad that I cannot share the excitement of this week releases, but Sorcery, Eclipse and maybe Star Command were wishlisted.

I'm almost sad about it.

Almost :p

Just made an idiot of myself in the Star Command Tutorials. made a laser gun, and it just says push the button to fire. I'm tapping at the points without realising it's a mini-game where you have to time the dots inside the circles. I've just been tapping them without realising it for about 4 turns thinking "why am I always missing?"

Very early impressions is that the graphics look nice. It is a little FTL like, but this is much more about micro managing & getting crew to make "tokens" for skills and stuff so far.

The tutorial isn't brilliant. It seems like you have to give a "token" to recruit a staff member (science/engineering/tactical) but they don't inherit anything from that, all their stats are still 0 and they start as a white shirt until you assign them, so it seems like just an arbitrary "staff costs 1 token" rather than you giving them a point start in a discipline or anything.

We'll see how I get on with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom