• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a year enough to turn around Halo Infinite visually?

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's it. I now realize that NeoGAF has way more low information gamers than initially thought.

Halo Infinite got delayed roughly 3 months before release. When games are delayed so close to release, they are almost never delayed for very long. Lengthy delays happen 6-12 months before release.

Halo Infinite will be delayed to Q1 2021. It'll launch with ray tracing implemented along with a few other minor visual enhancements. Very minor.

There is no chance it's a Q4 2021 release. There won't be any major graphical overhauls. Stop this nonsense.

Well, we don't know what they're doing. As I said in another thing, I think MS was rattled by the reaction.

I also want to point out that we only saw one 8 minute demo, one that was presumably polished up separate from the rest of the game. We don't know what state the rest of the game is in. The obvious thought is that it is in far worse shape than the demo, which means that the game probably needs a lot more than an extra 5-6 months to get into shape.

I think there's a good shot it gets pushed back longer than Q1.

Jokerevo

Banned
Yes absolutely, because Halo Infinite already has the base engine ready for mind blowing graphics.

The problem lies in 343 shitstudios that are going cheap on the graphics.

Lmao you haven't got a clue. The reason why HI looks so crap is because it's supposed to run on all gamepass devices. No doubt MS instructed 343 to do whatever it takes to achieve this. They want maximum saturation potential for subscriptions.

So in effect gamepass is the reason why HI has been diluted...so it can be served in the buffet...

MCplayer

Can someone tell me if the game is full open world with an explorable ring like the YouTube fanboys said or if it's semi open-world like Dragon Age inquisition where the map is split up into parts?
Because if it's the former the game is automatically much more impressive imho if it's the later idk what they are smoking.
I've read some conflicting statements.
Who the f are you calling youtube fanboy?

This won't be a year delay, this will likely be 4-6 months. There's a reason they just hired on another contractor, they brought in extra help to polish while they build and rework.

Meowzers

Always thought the reveal trailer was for Xbox One, so not surprised this is delayed. Still want an Xbox Series X though as it will be best for 3rd party games. Cyberpunk 2077 will look better on it than PS5.

gatti-man

6 months is plenty of time. The art was bad. Geometry was fine. Redo the assets, polish the engine so what you showed in 2018 is actually in the game, redo some skyboxes and polish up the gameplay.

diffusionx

Gold Member
6 months is plenty of time. The art was bad. Geometry was fine. Redo the assets, polish the engine so what you showed in 2018 is actually in the game, redo some skyboxes and polish up the gameplay.

Isn't assets/art the most time and resource intensive part of the process? I feel like you're asking for something that takes years of work.

Last edited:

Oppoi

You've eraned a gold medal for optimism.

Dodkrake

Banned
No matter for how long you polish a turd, it's still a turd. This game has fundamental flaws that can only be fixed by starting the project over. The art design is horrible, the world is barren, mechanics are meh. Sure, they can improve their textures and whatever, but it will still be a disservice to what Halo fans and the franchise deserve.

supernova8

Banned
They can turn it around in months.

The game engine needs a revampled lighting system. The assets can be tweaked. They need some really high res texture maps and normal maps. FX work will have to be tweaked. If they are wanting to keep the 60FPS target, some of the more complex rendering applications will need to be scaled down for the XSX.

Depends on who's doing it. Remember an old software engineer friend said programming and development is peculiar in the sense that you cannot just throw people/money at something and hope it gets fixed. An engineer who doesn't know how to fix a problem won't fix it, whether you give him 1 month or 6 months.

VFXVeteran

Banned
if digital foundry is correct the only thing they need to do is fix the lighting and include ray tracing on the next gen version which should be possible within a 1 year time frame. it's still not gonna be a huge leap since it is a cross gen title.

A game being a cross-gen title doesn't mitigate it's graphical capabilties. In fact, it's the cross-gen engines that push the tech boundaries the most. UE5, Frostbite, Crytek, RE Engine, etc. are all the best in class.

The Alien

Banned
I bet Halo Infinite releases holiday next year...so I give it ~14-15 months.

I think they'll polish the shit out of it, add ray tracing, ensure all multiplayer modes are available and smooth for launch....and most importantly.....and I can't stress this enough: redesign Craig so he's less meme worthy. Lol.

gypsygib

The only Halo games that impressed me graphically were Halo and Halo 2, the rest looked pretty average at best compared to other FPS at the time. It was the gameplay, MP, and story that kept me loving the series.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The only Halo games that impressed me graphically were Halo and Halo 2, the rest looked pretty average at best compared to other FPS at the time. It was the gameplay, MP, and story that kept me loving the series.

Halo 4 was one of the best looking games on Xbox 360, and still looks amazing today on MCC.

A game being a cross-gen title doesn't mitigate it's graphical capabilties. In fact, it's the cross-gen engines that push the tech boundaries the most. UE5, Frostbite, Crytek, RE Engine, etc. are all the best in class.

Your post makes me think about the difference between battlefield 3 on ps3/360 vs souped up PCs at the time. I don't know why...but thats what I been thinking about when I envision the difference between the OG Xb1 vs the Series X

I may be wrong, but its just what I thought about when reading your post

GamerEDM

Banned
Your work in the industry so you should know better.However would you care to explain what was being said in this tweet because it seems to be at odd's with what you are saying;
a02Sg1E.png

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No matter for how long you polish a turd, it's still a turd. This game has fundamental flaws that can only be fixed by starting the project over. The art design is horrible, the world is barren, mechanics are meh. Sure, they can improve their textures and whatever, but it will still be a disservice to what Halo fans and the franchise deserve.

Wow, you know so much about this game, and all it's alleged problems and failings, must be an insider eh.

Be that as it may, I'm much more inclined to listen to and respect VFXVeteran VFXVeteran take, you know a guy that actually works in the graphics field, than some random dude that enjoys trolling Xbox.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Your work in the industry so you should know better.However would you care to explain what was being said in this tweet because it seems to be at odd's with what you are saying;
a02Sg1E.png

This has nothing to do with the cross-gen games producing the worse results simply because it's a cross-gen engine.

But that comment means they are taking the high road and creating assets and graphics features based on the capabilities of the XSX (while even higher end rendering features would go to the PC that they are developing on). It's much easier to make unrenderable assets and downscale than to try and upscale after the fact.

DavidGzz

Just have Ray tracing ready for launch. There's no way they're going to radically upgrade the graphics and still maintain 120 frames per second.

Scotty W

I think Microsoft is dead in the water at this point. The game is the next Duke Nukem Forever. Microsoft and 343 will wither away, until Sony buys the Halo brand and releases Infinite as a launch title for the PS6.

my take, if it looks as is after 5 years of development then there is no way a year will do much to change its state. I now firmly believe the rumors about how fucked 343 is as a studio . If MS wants to fix this in a year they need to hand it to a new team now. Playground is thier best studio and could probably make it somewhat presentable in a year and some change. If it stays with 343 its never going to look good or function properly. Also they would need to sever the ties to xone.

Dodkrake

Banned
Wow, you know so much about this game, and all it's alleged problems and failings, must be an insider eh.

Be that as it may, I'm much more inclined to listen to and respect VFXVeteran VFXVeteran take, you know a guy that actually works in the graphics field, than some random dude that enjoys trolling Xbox.

Yeah, I super enjoy trolling Xbox, you can even tell that by my tone where I said this game doesn't do right by Halo fans and the Franchise. Go AstroTurf somewhere else, bot.

gatti-man

Isn't assets/art the most time and resource intensive part of the process? I feel like you're asking for something that takes years of work.
Depends. If they start from scratch yes. But if they keep the same geometry it’s not that long. And if they just tweak the art vs starting from scratch it takes even less time. For example we get huge texture packs on PC for games from essentially 1 or 2 people. I don’t see any reason why it can’t be done but as someone else said I’m probably being too optimistic.

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
No. The gameplay we see saw was the top of the iceberg. The rest of the game looks shittier and unpolished, that's why the game was delayed. It's a mess right now, and it's going to be a mess after a year.

Top Bottom