• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else disappointed in the lack of Video-In ports for PS3/Xbox360?

akascream

Banned
DarienA said:
Wait.. is this a joke?

You think people are actually going to bother streaming media from a special edition of XP that only a small percentage of the windows market even has? Even if I had media edition, why would I even bother.

jedimike

sonycowboy said:
Is that a short term (3/6 months) promotion? Where I live the Comcast DVR costs $9.95 a month.

I already had the HD receiver, so it was only $5 a month more for me. You can really make out on signing on with Comcast if you sign-up through other places like Best Buy, Dell, Staples, etc.

for more info...

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=212660

Record all items say that have Clint Eastwood in them, or record all items that have the words Godzilla in the title, or by category Sports/Boxing, etc?

I'm not sure... I know you can search by those items. I'll have to wait until I get home to verify if it will record like that as well.

dorio

Banned
akascream said:
You think people are actually going to bother streaming media from a special edition of XP that only a small percentage of the windows market even has? Even if I had media edition, why would I even bother.
If they get a 360, downloading a media extender or installing one that comes with the machine is no big deal. You may not bother unless Sony did it but alot of people would since there are tons of xp machines out there.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
akascream said:

But I thought you didn't need a media edition PC to stream to the X360?

Damn I now am de confused... I wonder what the hell I read....

akascream

Banned
dorio said:
If they get a 360, downloading a media extender or installing one that comes with the machine is no big deal. You may not bother unless Sony did it but alot of people would since there are tons of xp machines out there.

Why would it matter if sony did it? I'm saying that no consumer is going to bother no matter who made the machine. Streaming from tv or the internet is the best you're going to interest them in.

And trust me, even if this rather obscure feature interests some random joe consumer, these people don't know what to do when they reach the end of thier mouse pad.

But I thought you didn't need a media edition PC to stream to the X360?

Damn I now am de confused... I wonder what the hell I read....

Maybe it is me that is confused, but I though you needed media edition for video streaming. Either way I don't see anyone really caring about this feature.

RuGalz

Do you realize how much Xbox360 would cost if you took game profits out of the equation?
Ya I can see it now. Bill would LOVE to put in some expensive hardware and software on the system just to make a few fanboys happy and eat all the cost. :p Why don't evey company just give out hardwares for free since they can get profits back from software. :p PS2 Slim is only 150 in the market and they are still profitting from it, which means the cost is even lower than that. It should be free instead. :p

Yusaku

There was a screenshot of the Dashboard where you could stream video. MCE is for streaming shit you've recorded on your MC PC. What codecs you'll be able to stream is the real question.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope X360 can stream from NAS. Although it'll probably need Media center style server software on your XP machine :(

i specifically bought a NAS for streaming stuff so I don't leave my PC on all the time. Its just not practical for me.

rc213

Both XP and MCE will allow streaming of Audio/Video/Digital Images. MCE will also offer streaming of recorded tv shows and live tv through the pvr tuner in the MCE PC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has MS said what the X360 will stream? I'm guessing WMV is a lock, but what about divx/mpeg2? Maybe even quicktime?

They need to be flexible to what real people already have in their PCs if the 'media centre' part is to be of any true benefit.

Top Bottom