• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is coleslaw overrated?

Is coleslaw is overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 58 60.4%
  • Don't care, ban OP

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dr_octagon

Banned
Hello

Coleslaw is overrated.

The typical ingredients cabbage, carrot, mayo etc. are fine on their own. Why combine and ruin it?

Last edited:

HoodWinked

coleslaw is not overrated. it's barely even mentioned.

however it is way more than the sum of its parts. cabbage and carrots and mayo are individually fairly mundane and even together just seem like a random assortment of ingredients. no dairy, no meat, no fruit, no egg (if its vegan mayo) and despite that makes something decent and it wasn't even cooked.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
KFC coleslaw years back.

YKJqF0u.jpeg

lachesis

It's a side dish that makes the main dish pop out more. If anything, a good coleslaw is underrated.... However I just don't like eating it often because it's just so unhealthy.
Not just mayo, but some add ton of sugar with more vinegar. it actually makes it taste even better, but I just don't consider it a veggie dish at all at that point.

JBat

Don't forget the vinegar. Cole slaw is an integral part of a Memphis style BBQ sandwich. Even though I'm a Carolina BBQ guy got to respect the slaw

dr_octagon

Banned
Those who voted ban, be glad my CCP (Coleslaw Containment Party) isn't up and running. I would have a list and fite u all.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Coleslaw depends on what it is on and the setting in which it is applied. If it is a weekend at a friends BBQ and I am making a southern as fuck heart attack burger then yeah give me that shit. Right now. I will accept my death with vigor and a hard on.

Beyond that it varies.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Coleslaw is usually pretty amazing. I don’t know if it’s a southern thing but I don’t know many people in florida who don’t like it. I’m kinda shocked to see how many ITT are anti slaw

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Where I live its not common. So when I have a chance to get some (and its good) I always do. Love coleslaw. Cant have too much mayo though.

There is a diner I go to sometimes and have been going since i was a kid. They have amazing coleslaw. I even ask for some if I am there for breakfast.

Last edited:
I recently found Broccoli slaw. It's shredded broccoli stem, red cabbage and carrots. To me it's way better than the white cabbage variety because it tastes better and lasts much longer. I can keep broccoli slaw in my fridge for 2 weeks but cut white cabbage only lasts 2-4 days at most (I assume because it has higher water content).

The biggest problem with a lot of homemade coleslaw is people oversauce it. The vinegar and mayo will break down the cabbage, and release quite a bit of water locked up in the vegetable. Dry slaw when you first mix it turns perfect in an hour, mixing the slaw to a good consistency from the get-go will turn it into a soupy mess.

dr_octagon

Banned
Coleslaw is usually pretty amazing. I don’t know if it’s a southern thing but I don’t know many people in florida who don’t like it. I’m kinda shocked to see how many ITT are anti slaw
This is where we part ways bro-slaw, this difference is too big to reconcile.

#Dredd #Stallone #I am the slaw

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I loved coleslaw my whole life but got food poisoning from it last time. Even made a thread about it. Never touching it again, its usually at chicken and bbq places so theres too much chance of cross contamination with the cabbage & raw meat.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not even rated, it's just... There. Bit like mayonnaise.

I loved coleslaw my whole life but got food poisoning from it last time. Even made a thread about it. Never touching it again, its usually at chicken and bbq places so theres too much chance of cross contamination with the cabbage & raw meat.
I was a professional cook before becoming a truck driver, this hurts my soul. I am goddamned paranoid about salmonella cross-contamination, and have had more than one 'Come-to-Jesus' moments with coworkers when I saw them doing dangerous shit.

Edit - Remember folks, a 50% bleach and water solution in a spray bottle is your best friend in the kitchen.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Best slaw I've ever had is from a Mexican joint down the street. Pairs well with the rice and tacos/burritos

Weird thing is I've heard so many others say it's the best slaw they've had before too

Last edited:

TheGrat1

KFC-Style cole slaw is utter garbage. The fact that it was ever sold for profit means it is automatically overrated.

Sweet slaw, (just cabbage, no mayo) is delicious, though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
pulled pork BBQ sandwiches just wouldn't be the same without it.

Also, a good homemade slaw is also fantastic on fried chicken sandwiches.

Raven117

Depends on what you eating it with.

On a pulled pork sandwich...god-tier....as a side to some over cooked burger on a cookout? Not so much.

Top Bottom