• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Cyberpunk much better than Starfield?

Is Cyberpunk better than Starfield?

• Graphically yes, but only that.

• Graphically and gameplay wise yes, but the story falls short.

• Yes, Cyberpunk is definitely a better game in all aspects.

• No way, Starfield is better than Cyberpunk.

Results are only viewable after voting.
You dont even need to think for more than 5 seconds. Absolutely yes. Story and characters blows 90% of all other rpgs.
But Starfield gets points for being open ended. You can be pretty much whatever space profession you want.

Bungie

My problem with Cyberpunk is how scripted the game is. You have all this immersion during missions and once you are in the open world and go back to the areas, it's all bland. You can't sit down and drink the drink at the bar because none of the animations are there, it was all for this specific mission and that's the end of it & that's 99% of the game. 2077 didn't keep me in the same way Starfield does.

There's alot of things Cyberpunk did better story/writing/presentation but as a huge fan of role play games, it missed it's mark for me personally & felt like a Deus Ex clone gameplay wise. The skilling in the game especially was uninteresting and didn't allow you to interact with the world much. Just compare Starfields skills to Cyberpunks. CD didn't give the player the choice who to romance, they wrote the choice for us depending on body types etc. I know there's a lot of mods that correct this but I am comparing both games on release. Content wise I'm not even half way into Starfield been playing it non stop since early access, Cyberpunk was 100% done in little over a week and I play these games super slow paced.

At the end of the day Cyperpunk to me is a much linear game compared to Starfield. I'm in these games for the long run and 2077 fell short especially waiting as long as we did for it.

Last edited:

Markio128

It's not a very fair comparison, it took CDPR almost three years to finish developing the game since launch.

Starfield is very polished for the type of game it is from the outset.

I think Cyberpunk's main story is better than Starfield's, but Starfield has the better world and much more content.

A lot of Night City is just window dressing, there really isn't much to do in the way of exploration. It's even worse outside of Night City when 90% of the map is devoid of anything.

So they both have their issues but I personally don't think they can be compared directly to be fair. Maybe when Cyberpunk gets spaceship building?
Epic disagree. Cyberpunk has a huge seamless hand-crafted openworld, whereas Starfield has an abundance of procedurally generated bollocks, broken up by loading screens and menus galore.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
At the end of the day Cyperpunk to me is a much linear game to compared to Starfield.
You have 4 very different endings in CP2077.

You have one in Starfield. In CP2077 world is actually reactive to your actions. In SF the world and the factions don't give a flying f about you despite your choices and allegiances. Hell, you can skip the whole new DCL altorgether by saying NO.

Last edited:

killatopak

3RvMBaf.jpg

AI, as in rudimentary decision trees or AI as in self learning and adapting behavior based on past experiences and player decisions?

Am assuming it's the dumb one.

From what I have played in Starfield, I think they did a good job with defining how everything works. There is a clear vision and player enjoyment/fun is kept at high priority, considering we are dealing with new type of game here with 1000 planets.

I think maybe they can do smart AI as well at some point, they are good at creating systems.

phant0m

Starfield doesn't end. You can play it forever and have so much left to do and go on your own adventures.

Cyberpunk does. Story is preset and has a good narrative experience.

Each of those factors is a strength and a weakness to both games.
This. Also while the mod scene will do great things for both, I expect the Starfield mods to be much more transformative.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I haven't played Phantom Liberty but CP2077 never felt like an actual finished game whenever I played. Sloppy UI, braindead AI, story feels slapped together, shallow RPG mechanics. Wasn't fun to me or engaging either.

Granted, I'm out of the loop with modern gaming but it's because of stuff like CP2077. Every time I venture out and try a "must-play" game, I find myself playing something that feels like a step back from prior generations.

There's too many other games to play, can't be wasting my time on games that aren't worth it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This. Also while the mod scene will do great things for both, I expect the Starfield mods to be much more transformative.
I'm hoping mod support will go the way of Skyrim for Starfield. Cosmetics, player crafted quests, companion enhancements, new weapons/gear, enhancements to ship builder. I can see a lot of freedom and creativity in Starfield's future.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 is a buggy, unfinished mess. It has reaffirmed my belief that "complete" games are inferior to GAAS. CDPR should have kept that game in the cooker for 2+ more years.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Nice way to ignore my neon comparisson
First thing I saw from you was the message I quoted and it was disingenuous. Now I'm not saying Starfield looks better than CP, of course not, but it is not looking bad either.
But one thing I will say over and over, CP2077 is still incredibly bugged and I don't know how you all can ignore this.

Well... I mean ok I know, fancy graphics, but still...

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I specifically select IDENTICAL shots (more or less considering the vast difference in scale) to give Starfield at lest the fighting chance. There are no Lunar bases in CP2077 though.
No you did not, you selected a screen of New Atlantis (which honestly don't look really good) were you could have taken Neon City

Is it CP2077 level? Nah of course, but it still looks good. So stop pretending Starfield is looking bad, and maybe start pointing all the freakin bugs CP 2077 still has.
Also, I'm gonna make a thread in 3 years comparing modded Starfield and CP 2077.

Lokaum D+

It's crazy to me how people forgot how broken CP was at launch, and how everyone was making glitch compilations with the naked T-posing, the cops and all the other broken AI stuff. Starfield launched in a much better state comparatively.

Btw the video doesn't even show original CP but the expansion instead, that is considered vastly better after three years of patches.
why are u talking about bugs ? you want a OG cyberpunk mission that looks better then Starfield Trash ?

The video is from 2 years ago, before all the patchs, is a short section of a chase mission, but it feels a lot better then what Starfield offers

Last edited:

hinch7

Replaying the game again in 2.0 before jumping in DLC and yeah already after 10 mins so much more entertaining than the 20+ hours I spent with Starfield. 4 hours later and loving it.

One hilarious thing about the two.. coming from playing one onto the other, is how stark contrast the game worlds are. One is a sex filled cybernetic fantasy you'd expect to find in the 80's and 90's. The other is the mediocrum if the whole human race went mormon in the far future.

Last edited:
I understand the Open World is different in CB than in Starfield, but omg, Starfield is so outdated when it comes to animations and everything has a loading screen as far as I can understand. Sometimes it looks like a 2010 game.

When I had this happening to me (loading to interior/exterior) in Fallout 4 I already said "fuck this, I can't believe it's still not seamless". I didn't even think this would still be an issue in Starfield.

I would be fucking embarrassed to put this out as a publisher in 2023.

Flutta

Banned
Well ofcourse. CP77 is overall a better game from story to gameplay to graphics. Not even close lol.

Bethesda still lives in the 90s. Starfield is generic, souless, a mediocre game. Nothing about it is unique or interesting… it’s the definition of being average.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
The atmosphere alone in cyberpunk beats Starfield, no matter which planet I went to I was bored. This is the differnece on focusing on ONE element and making it all it can be with detail etc compared to "we have a thousand bland planets to explore"

Also I like the gunplay in Cyberpunk a hell of a lot more than in Starfield

Topher

Gold Member
Overall, yeah. More immersive setting, better writing, more "soul".

I do think Starfield is getting shat on maybe TOO hard now though. Its a 7 or 8 type game. Not GOTY but hardly a disaster.

Starfield is a great game in its own right. But playing Cyberpunk immediately after Starfield makes some of the issues much more obvious. Opening doors not causing loading screens, for example. The writing and story are better. The characters are much more believable. Relationships are not nearly as shallow. Cyberpunk just has more depth to it.

Having said that, there are aspects of Starfield that are simply not in CP like outpost and ship building. But for the things that are the same, I give CP the edge.

First thing I saw from you was the message I quoted and it was disingenuous. Now I'm not saying Starfield looks better than CP, of course not, but it is not looking bad either.
But one thing I will say over and over, CP2077 is still incredibly bugged and I don't know how you all can ignore this.

Well... I mean ok I know, fancy graphics, but still...

Cyberpunk is not "incredibly" bugged. You make it sound like the game is unplayable. I've been playing since the 2.0 came out and outside of a slow loading save game screen and a couple of rare, inconsequential graphics glitches, the game has been fine. Now I'll go along with the point others have made that CP has had years to fix this stuff while SF has only had a few weeks, but the question being asked here is which is the better game. To me, CP 2.0 is definitely the better game even though I think Starfield is great.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Starfield is a great game in its own right. But playing Cyberpunk immediately after Starfield makes some of the issues much more obvious. Opening doors not causing loading screens, for example. The writing and story are better. The characters are much more believable. Relationships are not nearly as shallow. Cyberpunk just has more depth to it.

Having said that, there are aspects of Starfield that are simply not in CP like outpost and ship building. But for the things that are the same, I give CP the edge.

Cyberpunk is not "incredibly" bugged. You make it sound like the game is unplayable. I've been playing since the 2.0 came out and outside of a slow loading save game screen and a couple of rare, inconsequential graphics glitches, the game has been fine. Now I'll go along with the point others have made that CP has had years to fix this stuff while SF has only had a few weeks, but the question being asked here is which is the better game. To me, CP 2.0 is definitely the better game even though I think Starfield is great.
I'm just gonna quote my post from the other thread:

"For sure this game is a looker but it still rigged with bugs I'm honestly amazed.
In one hour I got NPCs clipping through the ground, cars disappearing OR randomly spawning (especially when exiting photo mode) and low res textures on some the billboards.

But the biggest bug I had came when I wanted to start the DLC. I was approaching the first objective and saw 2 cops and 2 gang members talking, they were all friendly. As I approached, a van ran over the four NPCs and everyone became aggressive around me. It was this place (I took a screenshot because it looked good, and upon exiting photo mode this van appeared about 10 feet off the ground, crashed and then crushed these NPC):

1091500_20230927045433_1.png

It's been a long time since I've seen a game with this many bugs. This is AC Unity level."

Maybe you don't paid attention? Maybe you got lucky? I don't know but at the end, CP is still freakin bugged. And some of those bugs are tied to the engine and how it is coded, that's why I say maybe you don't pay attention to them because they are literally unavoidable. And btw, my PC is a beast so it's not coming from there.

nemiroff

Gold Member
First of all, please avoid the usual suspect system warrior replies and clickbaiting youtubers like the plague. Agendas is an ugly thing (are you sure you don't have one here..?) and Starfield's exclusivity and anticipation has driven some people to the brink of insanity.

With that said; I like Starfield but Cyberpunk is the better game indeed, albeit in a completely different way. They don't really have much in common. I'd say Starfield is the bigger game in scope and the number of core base gameplay mechanics (I guess that could be argued), but Cyberpunk is also big but is more focused. Unfortunately, none of them have the living breathing simulated world sense of a Rockstar game (although CP 2.0 made it better).

But why not play them both and make up your own mind.

Last edited:

Reckheim

"For sure this game is a looker but it still rigged with bugs I'm honestly amazed.
In one hour I got NPCs clipping through the ground, cars disappearing OR randomly spawning (especially when exiting photo mode) and low res textures on some the billboards.

But the biggest bug I had came when I wanted to start the DLC. I was approaching the first objective and saw 2 cops and 2 gang members talking, they were all friendly. As I approached, a van ran over the four NPCs and everyone became aggressive around me. It was this place (I took a screenshot because it looked good, and upon exiting photo mode this van appeared about 10 feet off the ground, crashed and then crushed these NPC):

It's been a long time since I've seen a game with this many bugs. This is AC Unity level."

Maybe you don't paid attention? Maybe you got lucky? I don't know but at the end, CP is still freakin bugged. And some of those bugs are tied to the engine and how it is coded, that's why I say maybe you don't pay attention to them because they are literally unavoidable. And btw, my PC is a beast so it's not coming from there.
:/ .. I had more bugs with OG starfield then I had with OG cyberpunk.

But I also understand that there are a lot of moving parts when making these types of games; so its not something I pay that much attention to. Comes with the territory.

Topher

Gold Member

"Maybe you don't pay attention" to my reply? I already referenced graphical glitches. Is that really your basis for Starfield being the better game? Sorry....but Starfield ain't exactly bug free and is missing features that should have bene there day one, such as DLSS, which is why the game's rating on Steam has been slipping consistently since launch.

And I gotta just roll my eyes and pointing fingers at CP's engine considering that ancient thing SF is built on. Come on man.

Freeman76

Epic disagree. Cyberpunk has a huge seamless hand-crafted openworld, whereas Starfield has an abundance of procedurally generated bollocks, broken up by loading screens and menus galore.

Thats such bollocks and just shows you havent played much of Starfield, if any at all. Just total nonsense.

Cyberpunk 100% has a more detailed and well designed world, but Starfield has some incredible areas, some well designed missions and dungeons, and a massive amount of unique content, ALONGSIDE the copy/paste locations.

Hugare

No you did not, you selected a screen of New Atlantis (which honestly don't look really good) were you could have taken Neon City for example.

Is it CP2077 level? Nah of course, but it still looks good. So stop pretending Starfield is looking bad, and maybe start pointing all the freakin bugs CP 2077 still has.
Also, I'm gonna make a thread in 3 years comparing modded Starfield and CP 2077. Gonna be a fun thread.

Two loading screens in 1:55 minutes. You cant make that shit up.

One of them only to render a small club

Neon "city" is one corridor, with no verticality

It looks slightly better than Outer Worlds, I'll give it that

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Unpopular opinion probably. But I think both are seriously flawed "if only" games. Neither are classics. Though I at least completed CP, whilst I lost the will to live with Starfield very early on. Which is a shame as both of them on paper should be great. I far preferred my time with the likes of Mass Effect.

Last edited:
Absolutely, 100%, even in comparison to the launch state of Cyberpunk.

Going from a melee build in Starfield to a melee build in CP2077 genuinely feels like playing games that are generations apart, because CP2077 feels so damn fluid. Starfield melee feels like you're playing as Rock Em Sock Em robots

Alebrije

Yes , specially the gameplay and writting of the story...

And for the people that say Cyberpunk has 3 years of patches Im comparing Starfield vs the new Expansion.

Starfield its the same old Bethesda formula with space skin but with worse writting , rpg elements, lore . I find more interesting the world of Night City than the "1000" planets of Starfield.

Cyberpunk has better writing and visuals, thanks to raytracing. But "better" depends on what you want out of these games.

New Vegas is "better" than fallout 4 and yet I've played FO4 a lot more.

In 3 weeks I played more starfield than I did cyberpunk in 3 years.

Alebrije

Absolutely, 100%, even in comparison to the launch state of Cyberpunk.

Going from a melee build in Starfield to a melee build in CP2077 genuinely feels like playing games that are generations apart, because CP2077 feels so damn fluid. Starfield melee feels like you're playing as Rock Em Sock Em robots
Melee build on Starfield feels the same no matter wich weapon you use...Cyberpunks katanas , knifs, blades delivers different outputs.

Top Bottom