• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is It Better to be in College During The First Half Of A Console's Life Cycle, Or Latter Half? Of A Console's Lifecycle?

Is College a Better Experience?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The latter half of a Console's Lifecycle. When I was in College around 2002 to 2007, that's when PS2 had the best set of JRPGs that were being released back to back. Not to mention NON JRPGs like Okami, God of War, Sly Cooper, etc. The Xbox and GameCube had some bangers later in their life cycle too. I miss those days, back when games were made for gamers and the Developers were actually headed by actual gamers. But that's just the nostalgia talking

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Doesn’t matter. Early you invest into the console, and everything is hype.

Second half, you’ve got a massive library to play from, have a pro console, or the looming threat of a new one to save up for.

Either way you’re going to fail if you pick one up and get addicted to something. League and dota on PC have kept failure rates in college high for decades.

T4keD0wN

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
op is likely young and going to college soon enough. Thinks his Gen Z or whatever ass will somehow do better or have more time for games depending on when he goes.

Parents likely need to speak to him that college costs a stupid amount of money so get your head out of your ass and buckle down. Use weekends to game, and focus on getting good grades because you’re paying with your time and money to be there. You want that degree so you can pay off student loans and not have a job you hate your whole life, or worse drop out and have all the loans to pay back but stuck without the degree.

phant0m

I guess it was mid-gen, but I was in college at the peak of GH/Rock Band and it was the fuckin’ best.

I don’t even like the genre that much but hands down some of my favorite gaming memories.

EDMIX

This is a pretty good topic. As someone that's currently in university right now and Was doing college courses around 2020, I would say I was actually more okay during the launch of playstation 5 while I was still in school because even though it had limited games, I also had limited time....

But ultimately the amount of years it takes to complete school generally would be a console cycle or the majority of one anyway (like a chunk)

Ultimately, I don't think it matters that much anyway. Because time is much more limited

op is likely young and going to college soon enough. Thinks his Gen Z or whatever ass will somehow do better or have more time for games depending on when he goes.

Could be.

As someone who is 35, put off college for years, has a career in IT, had a career in Real Estate as a listing agent (now as a investor), I feel I put off a lot of things to try a lot of things, so going back to school with more purpose as a concept artist, illustrator etc I feel the years I put it off, I really enjoyed those day 1 releases, but the reality is, they games will still exist, you can play them used or buy them on sale at a later time and sometimes your focus should be on the bigger picture.

So if OP is worried about missing out on all the day 1 fun, consider all the day 1 titles they can buy when they have a degree that opens doors for them to make more money.

Don't worry OP, focus on the studies and pick 3 games a year to enjoy. Not everything needs to be day 1.

*Nightwing

gMbpDGT.gif

I think you are doing college wrong… it’s supposed to be for you to study a subject and become educated in it.

…but that might just be ignorance due to lack of college education. As someone with almost 4 college degrees, let me share some of that education:

It’s far more economical to buy the console and play it when you drop out or just forgo college altogether and save the future crushing debt

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was in college for most of the PS2/Xbox/Cube generation and missed a lot of great games from that era. But that era was also way better than this one.

Sleepwalker

I started college in 2011 so the last few years of the ps3. I got a PS4 day one but I really did not game much if at all until after I graduated in 2016.

I completely missed the Wii U and the late PS3/360/early PS4 era.

My take is that it doesnt matter lol enjoy college.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I had a SNES when I went to college. I was also working a full time job along with having a full time class workload. So it didn't make any difference which half it landed in because I really shouldn't have been wasting as much time on video games as I was. Thank goodness I graduated before PS1 dropped because I probably would have died from exhaustion.

EDMIX

I started college in 2011 so the last few years of the ps3. I got a PS4 day one but I really did not game much if at all until after I graduated in 2016.

I completely missed the Wii U and the late PS3/360/early PS4 era.

My take is that it doesnt matter lol enjoy college.

This.

Cause all the best stuff, got remastered and you can still enjoy it later anyway.

This is a pretty good topic. As someone that's currently in university right now and Was doing college courses around 2020, I would say I was actually more okay during the launch of playstation 5 while I was still in school because even though it had limited games, I also had limited time....

But ultimately the amount of years it takes to complete school generally would be a console cycle or the majority of one anyway (like a chunk)

Ultimately, I don't think it matters that much anyway. Because time is much more limited

Could be.

As someone who is 35, put off college for years, has a career in IT, had a career in Real Estate as a listing agent (now as a investor), I feel I put off a lot of things to try a lot of things, so going back to school with more purpose as a concept artist, illustrator etc I feel the years I put it off, I really enjoyed those day 1 releases, but the reality is, they games will still exist, you can play them used or buy them on sale at a later time and sometimes your focus should be on the bigger picture.

So if OP is worried about missing out on all the day 1 fun, consider all the day 1 titles they can buy when they have a degree that opens doors for them to make more money.

Don't worry OP, focus on the studies and pick 3 games a year to enjoy. Not everything needs to be day 1.
But depending on whether they'll stay available digitally, they'll be rare and go for mad money.

I missed out on PS during college and was just lucky, and quick enough, to snatch the best of them before they spiked in value.

Top Bottom