• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my PC broken? (Won't run any version of Windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattx5

Ok, here's the deal.

2 weeks ago, my PC, a P3 450 mhz running Win 98 got fucked up. I was uninstalling some system optimizer software and when I rebooted, it asked me to re-install Windows. This was a problem because I got the PC from my uncle, who didn't provide the Windows disc with it.

I got a new PC (Not because the old one broke though). I transferred my old files (My hds were okay, I guess the registry just blew on the old PC).

Fast forward to this week. I wanna install Windows back onto the old PC so my father and sister can use it. Throwing it away isn't really an option.

I try Windows XP Pro. At the part of the install where you're supposed to skip the 'press any key to boot cd' part, I let the timer run out, like I'm supposed to, and then the computer locks up. I get weird orange and red blocky glitches appearing over the screen.

I try Windows XP Home. Same thing, except with more glitches.

I try Windows 2000. It doesn't work, but that's the fault of the disc, it was missing 'stuff' (Because I have all these discs lying around, ya know :p)

I try Windows ME today as a last resort. I format the disc to FAT32, I start the setup. It says I have errors on my drive. I tell it to fix them. It says they're fixed, starting setup. Then I'm treated to a 5 second black screen, followed by a loud beeping noise that last for 10 seconds, followed by a bunch of weird, alien symbols and text appearing all over the screen. It still lets me proceed with setup and tries to run scandisk again.

It tells me I don't have enough free memory or some shit to run the setup.

What in the good name of fuck is wrong with my PC. I know it's old, but it should be able to run Win ME no problem, and 'technically' it should be able to run XP.

Is it possible that something's really fucking fried in my PC?

If so, what could it be?

DJ Sl4m

go into bios and set it to default options, if you're still having trouble it's probably the motherboard or ram.

mattx5

Yep, I set everything to default, I've run exhaustive tests with different settings.

So it being a problem with the RAM or mobo sounds about right.

Any specific tests I can do to check the components?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom