• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU 7900xtx artifacting weirdly

demented

Here's a rundown of everything I've tried before and recently, in no particular order. If anyone has any idea what else to try let me know. I plan to keep trying new games until I find enough where it happens consistently and then I can send it back because all the stress and benchmarks are fine. If I send it now as is, they'll just run stress test, benchmark or game and say it works fine and send it back, and I'll be without gpu for weeks or months.

Tried integrated GPU and older GPU card I have (nvidia 1070) no artifacts
Tried HDMI 2.1 from PS5
Tried two different dpi cables and 2 HDMI cables
Tried 3 different monitors(or well 2 plus tv)
Installed fresh win11 without anything and tried there
Freshly installed various drivers
Underclocked
Overclocked
Tried all the stress tests and benchmarks I could find
I even recorded in-game footage and it shows these artifacts in the video
Tried different resolutions in-game and in Windows settings
Tried different refresh rates
Fixed card sagging
Expo (for RAM) is disabled in bios
I don't have another PCIe port to test, or I do but gpu can't fit there
Removed drivers through DDU between testings
No remaining PCIE cables from the PSU but no place to plug it in in PSU even if I had it
I switched cables around a bit inside between things
It might have worked in the end when I tried running it without any drivers but the game was so choppy and lagging I couldn't test more times and CPU was maxing so maybe it was running off it.
Installed the driver only from March 2023, for a moment I thought it worked but after a restart same old, not to say the restart made it worse it's just that it's not consistent.
I reinstalled the newest drivers
Overlock and underclock didn't help from either afterburner or amd software, same with some gaming profile t hat does things.
Can't run memory clock under 2500

As for the games, I haven't really been playing much but I did notice it originally in Honkai Star Rail, which is a mobile game and I thought oh it's flashy and unpolished maybe it's just the game and it wasn't much and at random places.
Later, ESO - older mmo it would show up a lot and in all different colours and places.
Wanted to play two mirror but noticed it right away in the menu, noticed it in the game too but it's a bit more discreet there.
Started playing kingdom come deliverence and it only shows in certain cutscenees and just in a black spot above the cutscene though I think it went down a few times as well.
I noticed it in discord as well but this might just be down to hardware acceleration there.
Warframe I just ran once to test and I could see it popping up here and there when paying attention to it.

Oh and this is how the card is powered, it's not dusty or dirty the camera just went into night mode and messed up the colors.
8wUWCDs.jpg

- mostly purple here
- here it's running on old GPU (nvidia 1070) and it's fine, also the pet went through pole so it's clipping not artifacting haha
- here I was recording it around discord but saw it behind in game too (honkai)
- cutscene from kingdom come, mostly on top and top left but it goes down too
- ^
- it showing in eso
- ^ same

PC config

CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
MOBO:ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F
Memory: Kingston DIMM DDR5 32GB 6000MT/s Fury beast
GPU: XFX AMD Video Card RX-7900XTX
Speedster MERC310 BLACK 24GB GDDR
PSU: NZXT C1200 Gold 1200W
SSD Kingston 2TB M.2 NVMe SFYRD/2000G SSD FURY
Renegade as main
SSD Samsung 980 PRO 2TB as secondary
WD 10TB purple for media storage
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
K+M: Logitech G502X and SteelSeries Apex 7

Last edited:

AGRacing

Hey. I had a similar issue with mine and I sourced my 2 pcie power cables from different rails on the PSU. I have the reference card. I see you've got the 3 cable version… that is the first thing I would play with more based on your writing.

demented

Hey, thanks, I've tried to rewire but cables have been taken care of pretty well, I don't have any spare pcie cables or slots for them in PSU but I'll try to see where the other two are going and if I can work something out.

Kenpachii

Could be bad v-ram module on the card.

Load up cyberpunk maxed out with path tracing and drive through dog town or whatever its called at 4k which will tax the v-ram modules see what happens.

//DEVIL//

Looks like one of the Vram in your gpu board isnt doing well.

the only thing you can do is send videos of the card while the issue is happening and explain in details.

I get what you said about stress testing it and returning it back

the only thing you can do run to the ground. keep playing or something till the vram dies or gets more damaged it will become more obvious.

Each of the 3 slots needs its own power cable directly from the PSU.

the max power of 7900xtx is a 350w

unless he has super old power supply, this is not an issue

and even if it was. it would shut down on him and not exhibit artifacts.

Last edited:

Bojji

Looks like one of the Vram in your gpu board isnt doing well.

the only thing you can do is send videos of the card while the issue is happening and explain in details.

I get what you said about stress testing it and returning it back

the only thing you can do run to the ground. keep playing or something till the vram dies or gets more damaged it will become more obvious.

the max power of 7900xtx is a 350w

unless he has super old power supply, this is not an issue

Yep, it looked like that when I tried to overclock memory too much.

OP you can lower memory clocks in MSI afterburner but this is temporary fix, card should behave properly ootb so send it back.

RMA janky AMD card and save up for a mighty Nvidia RTX4090, should fix those issues :)

Yeah...

willothedog

OP you can lower memory clocks in MSI afterburner but this is temporary fix, card should behave properly ootb so send it back.

Yeah...

SuprimX baby, no FE for me :messenger_winking:

Oh, and the melting was proven to be user error by not inserting the cable in far enough as proven by GN when he sent the cards away for x-ray analysis or by using dodgy third-party connectors/extensions :messenger_smiling:

Bojji

SuprimX baby, no FE for me :messenger_winking:

Oh, and the melting was proven to be user error by not inserting the cable in far enough as proven by GN when he sent the cards away for x-ray analysis or by using dodgy third-party connectors/extensions :messenger_smiling:

What I meant is that you can't be sure with any gpu maker and cards manufacturer. I had TONS of GPUs:

7600GT-8800GS-hd6850-gtx480-hd7970-gtx680-gt770-r290-gtx970-gtx980ti-gtx1070-rtx2060s-rtx3070-5700xt-3060ti-rtx4070-rtx4070ti-r6800-rtx3080ti

And only one that died on me was gtx680^, most of them are probably still working correctly in other PCs.

AGRacing

Not true. I’ve personally observed behaviour on AMD cards being corrected by fixing the cables. I myself had an HD7950 that glitched out due to this and ran perfectly once corrected.

1 cable per rail , per input on the card.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Not true. I’ve personally observed behaviour on AMD cards being corrected by fixing the cables. I myself had an HD7950 that glitched out due to this and ran perfectly once corrected.

1 cable per rail , per input on the card.
I have a 7900xtx with newer 850w and I have one pcie cable piggy backed. No issue whatsoever.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

I had a similar issue and eventually solved it by testing different PSUs and 8-pin cables. In the end, I dropped the card.
Sell it and get an nVidia card. GayMD ain’t worth it anymore.

AGRacing

I have a 7900xtx with newer 850w and I have one pcie cable piggy backed. No issue whatsoever.
And I don’t doubt you. There are a lot of power supplied out there though. And a lot of them aren't as good as we would like.

Trust me. This has been seen before.

demented

Hi, sorry for the late response, I was away on a trip, then another business trip, more work at home sigh, kind of explains why I'm just trying to figure this out despite having this PC since last June.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses, The majority concerned the extra cable I should be using. Unfortunately one more did not come with the card, I'll try and see if I can order it somewhere or god forbids find it locally and see if that helps, it would be ideal, but on the other hand, I did underclock the card and used it in games that do not exert too much performance and it still was there.
I did switch the cable location on the PSU, the other 2 cables are CPU and can't use them.
Edit: I just remembered, there are only 4 pcie/cpu slots and all are used, if I get the cable, I'd need to unplug one of the CPU ones then and see if that solves the issue but then that doesn't seem ideal either. Also a lot of these come with just 2 8 pins so I kinda assume it should be fine like this but still sigh, can't be sure. Few more tests and I'm RMAing it and preparing to fight it out

RMA janky AMD card and save up for a mighty Nvidia RTX4090, should fix those issues :)
Heh, I did want to go with 4090 but I decided to get this one instead of it because I wanted to wait for the 5 series thinking it will have all sorts of ai chips and shit that would be a lot better performance-wise. AMD was cheaper than 4080 hence going that way plus I paired it with AMD CPU... I swear every time I went to AMD I fucking regretted it.
Could be bad v-ram module on the card.

Load up cyberpunk maxed out with path tracing and drive through dog town or whatever its called at 4k which will tax the v-ram modules see what happens.
Downloading now will test tomorrow, expecting the PC to blow up.
check temps and that the fans are operating properly
Temps are perfect, what I will check though is specific temperatures and see if anything, in particular, stands out, someone suggested that elsewhere.

Yeah...

Can I? I just uninstalled Afterburner today since Adrenaline has all the stuff anyway but I couldn't lower the memory clocks on either below the 2500 minimum.

Last edited:

Bojji

Can I? I just uninstalled Afterburner today since Adrenaline has all the stuff anyway but I couldn't lower the memory clocks on either below the 2500 minimum.

Yeah, you maybe can't. I had AMD card like 3 weeks ago but I didn't try to lower memory clocks, quite stupid limitation from AMD.

You should send this GPU on warranty, it's not working correctly for sure.

Bojji

If you can return the card still, that's what you should do. You can literally just buy a 4080 Super and all your problems will vanish

You can't be sure that your memory module won't be fucked on any GPU. Nvidia is better in some things but hardware can be bad just like any other electronics.

You can't be sure that your memory module won't be fucked on any GPU. Nvidia is better in some things but hardware can be bad just like any other electronics.
AMD are the ones who have their cards set with clocks so high that they literally crash in some games. The Helldivers 2 problem on 7900 XTX which is caused by too much clock speed when the GPU is at 100% utilization making the game unstable is still not fixed as of the latest drivers.

demented

Don't get me started on that.. so many workarounds to get it running without crashing but at least it works somehow. Anyway,
Did a few tests, overclocked, underclocked in CP2077, and monitored my temp, here are the pics, the game ran fine, fully maxed settings, ~45-50 fps. didn't notice anything out of the ordinary though the game is flashy and maybe if I played it for few hours something might have popped up.
First pic is while running haven for a while and 2nd cp2077.
nJhuFn7.png

XwwAjit.png

Top Bottom