• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PSVR, and PSVR 2 the reason you're going with PS5 this generation? Poll Inside.

Is PSVR or PSVR2 the reason you're going with PlayStation or PS5 this gen?

• Total voters
Hey man i yet have to force myself on any crazy ride ciz of motion sickness. You are lucky that you are use to it.

Yes i prefer me moving myself in vr than being on rail or teleport .
I wish they would have a stick or 2 on the dildos so you can move and act out movements at the same time.

Again they need to improve a lot for me to buy the psvr2 . Simple screen res bump wont do it

I didn't teleport in Skyrim with Moves or in Doom with Aim.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's not a deciding factor for me, but definitely a bonus. I've tried PC VR, and loved it, but I don't have a gaming PC. And the original PSVR on PS4 always seemed a bit too "first gen", so I skipped it. But I'm eager to see what Sony's gen 2 VR will be like on a much more capable console.

Madjako

One of the main factor I'm interested in PS5 is PSVR2. I already got PSVR and I just love it. I even keep playing non VR games on it.
I just pray for PSVR2 to be wireless !!

How did you move around in skyrim with the moves?
Game was set as teleport by default.

using by now traditional "Skyrim-like" locomotion scheme in tons of other psvr games

left Move stick is basically used as a giant analog stick as you hold Move button down...

It's not a deciding factor for me, but definitely a bonus. I've tried PC VR, and loved it, but I don't have a gaming PC. And the original PSVR on PS4 always seemed a bit too "first gen", so I skipped it. But I'm eager to see what Sony's gen 2 VR will be like on a much more capable console.

first gen is awesome

feels exhilarating to know you've been a part of history of games witnessing first hand Atari, PS1 and PSVR...

Gloomnivore

It’s a major factor that’s been reinforced this week by Star Wars Squadrons. PSVR in its current guise can still enhance an experience in a way PS5 and Series X won’t be able to. When PSVR 2 is unveiled I won’t be able to resist.

Valonquar

If it has wireless headset it's possible, but fuck all those wires and camera limitations of current PSVR. Very fun stuff, but headache to set up, and my 1.0 PSVR's lack of HDR passthrough is also pretty annoying.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Resi 7 was a transformative experience on PSVR, but there’s been fuck all to compete with it since. I’m selling mine as it’s collected dust for months. Though I am looking at buying a Quest for the wire free convenience, and will probably get PSVR 2 because I am a moron who hates his wallet.

It's a very big reason I'll likely end up getting a PS5, both for myself and my wife (who has an iron bloody stomach and simply doesn't seem to get sick from any VR game, the lucky cow).

There's really nothing else like it, and soem of the best game experiences I've had this gen were thanks to PSVR.

I just hope they manage to make PSVR2 fully wireless.

Kerotan

I held off on psvr 1. Hoping it gets a full successor for ps5 in 21/22. I want to be very impressed with my first experience and I felt psvr 1 was lacking slightly.

pachura

I really, really hope it will be wireless. I can even accept external beacons/camera for tracking and in-software IPD adjustment.
If they were able to pull off Blood & Truth and RE7 on base PS4, I can't imagine what they can achieve with the horsepower of PS5 and features like variable rate shading...

xrnzaaas

I've never bought PSVR even when it was heavily discounted and probably never will. PSVR2 would have to offer great image quality and better precision to get my attention. And more racing games support.

BGs

Industry Professional
giphy.gif

supernova8

Banned
PSVR was great at the time. Aside from the shit resolution and dodgy tracking, it was a solid effort at a time when the only better alternatives were far more expensive. In 2020 you have more affordable options as well as respective standalone VR options. I wonder what Sony can produce at a reasonable price that people will want to buy.

If they could offer something at Oculus Quest 2 levels of performance for like $199 in, say, 2 years I would probably buy it. Backed up the beefy PS5 they could potentially make a lot of interesting experiences. Also depends on what they do with the tracking and motion controls. After trying the Index stuff at a friend's place I'm not sure I could go back to the PSVR sex toys.

Last edited:
PSVR2 is a sure thing? That’s cool, I’ve been close to jumping in on PSVR so many times. Here’s hoping the next generation seals the deal. Less cords and higher resolution please!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good headset and still think Resident Evil 7 will be known for its VR. Just a stand out game and headset. PSVR2 will be fun.

Kev Kev

if they announce psvr2, with some good games already developed or being developed, and it looks better than psvr, i'll buy a ps5. gonna get an xbox a few months after that most likely lol. but if psvr2 looks great and comes out soon i'll be throwing my money at them today.

They haven't even mentioned VR in anything they've shown, so I think it's a big stretch to say it was designed with VR in mind. I was a launch purchaser of PSVR, and do regret it at this point because shortly after, it became a lot less expensive and better. I hear they got rid of that breakout box, and having that installed on my PS4 means I can't use HDR.

Adding to that, I really haven't used it in over a year at this point. There are things I want to play on it, but getting everything hooked up is a pain in the ass and there's so much else to play that I don't even bother. Although I did buy Star Wars Squadrons and do want to see how that feels in VR.

Nico_D

Well, it is one of the reasons. While I would definitely get a PS5 down the road, PSVR 2 makes me anticipate it a lot more and really makes the new generation worth for me.

MrMephistoX

As soon as PSVR2 gets revealed to be completely wireless like Quest I’m in...way better library of exclusives but after going Quest I couldn’t go back.

MiguelItUp

I'm personally more interested in VR on PC with all of the indies and other titles that don't make it to PSVR. But even then I'm not vastly invested in VR period. It's cool and all, but yeah...

Ahh another VR thread with naysayers and haters.

We get it, you don't like it, ignore its success and think its crap. Great. Now shoo along and let us enjoy it.

The 'emotional' reaction given by VR, because it tricks your head, is the next step in immersion, whether people like it or not.

If Sony release a lightweight headset with a comfortable form factor and add that with Sony 3D audio, it will sell gang busters.

The other angle to look at is, in the console space, Nintendo and Microsoft are yet to show any serious sign of entering the VR market, with the latter outright saying they don't think VR is worth their resources. This leaves any VR game in the console space as default exclusives for Sony.

A mental business approach by Microsoft and Nintendo to hand exclusivity to their competitor free of charge!

Last edited:

apotema

Have they clarified the PS Camera adapter situation?

It will be free to the ones who ask for it, right?

Romulus

Dont think so.

Price is a factor and killer titles.

Then there is the whole cable salad issue plus the discomfort either due to it being too hot on your head or that it makes you sick and dizzy.

You cant make 10 plus hour long games cuz of the above and if you make short bite sized games its nothing more than a gimmick.

The tech as far as comfort goes has to evolve and we are not there yet.
Also just look how quick 3d disappeard and now there isnt a single movie or channel or game to support it.
We had killzone 3 unchartrd 3 etc at the peak of 3d tvs and now its gone forever.

Again, adding support for 3dtv for those games is a false equivalence to VR. How many AAA were made only for 3dtv's? 0. VR has plenty of exclusives and more ports in one year than the entirety of 3dtv's life.

And 3dtv was dead by this time in VRs life. And VR just had it's best year. So, it's very different.

You mentioned Doom VFR being a "forced to teleport" game in another post. That's incorrect. Its also smooth movement with a gamepad and AIM controller.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Again, adding support for 3dtv for those games is a false equivalence to VR. How many AAA were made only for 3dtv's? 0. VR has plenty of exclusives and more ports in one year than the entirety of 3dtv's life.

And 3dtv was dead by this time in VRs life. And VR just had it's best year. So, it's very different.

You mentioned Doom VFR being a "forced to teleport" game in another post. That's incorrect. Its also smooth movement with a gamepad and AIM controller.
3dtv was the next big thing for a year till it died.

Not talking game related but its simple economics since we talk about vr taking off.
3dtv was available to mass public and advertised in every store. But you dont see the same effort for vr so chances for vr ever taking off other than in hardcore gamer enviroment are null.

Not talking game related but its simple economics since we talk about vr taking off.
3dtv was available to mass public and advertised in every store. But you dont see the same effort for vr so chances for vr ever taking off other than in hardcore gamer enviroment are null.
None of this is true. 3DTV was the next big thing for 2 or 3 years, after which it declined for another 4 years until it was dropped by all manufacturers.

VR on the other hand has grown every year for almost 5 years now and that is 100% going to continue for years to come. Simple economics only strengthen the argument for VR; it doesn't weaken it like you think it does.

Even your comment about the length of games is wrong; there are a bunch of 10+ hour VR games now, and they are all well received.

Last edited:

Romulus

That's exactly why its false equivalence though. 3dtv being advertised to masses and failing proves absolutely nothing.

VR doesn't need to be a "mass market" item to survive and thrive. It can be a sidekick to normal gaming, increasing every year. It's just a completely different result in terms of sales. They don't align at all. One plummeted, the other has been rising consistently.

Jtibh

Banned
My
That's exactly why its false equivalence though. 3dtv being advertised to masses and failing proves absolutely nothing.

VR doesn't need to be a "mass market" item to survive and thrive. It can be a sidekick to normal gaming, increasing every year. It's just a completely different result in terms of sales. They don't align at all. One plummeted, the other has been rising consistently.
My point was it will never hit mass market. Ever.
Sales are evidence for that.

It will be for many years the way it is now not even facebook will change this.

Doesnt mean there wont be an evolution but the tech is not there for everyone to jump on it.

The biggest set back for 3dtv was the glasses. People didnt like that. Biggest set back for vr is the headset.

Vr was fun in arcades in the 80s and hell i even played duke nukem in vr in 96 or 97.

Nothing really changed since from the peripheral device stand point. That is the biggest draw back for it to hit mass market.

Yes its more affordable but we are still tangled up in cables and we still need space to act out our movements.

Kinect suffered from space issue as well and its history now.

My

Doesnt mean there wont be an evolution but the tech is not there for everyone to jump on it.

The biggest set back for 3dtv was the glasses. People didnt like that. Biggest set back for vr is the headset.

Vr was fun in arcades in the 80s and hell i even played duke nukem in vr in 96 or 97.

Nothing really changed since from the peripheral device stand point. That is the biggest draw back for it to hit mass market.

Yes its more affordable but we are still tangled up in cables and we still need space to act out our movements.

You do not understand how technological adoption works, or even economics for that matter.

Look back at PCs in the 70s and 80s. Throughout 1977-1982, PCs went from 0 consumer sales to low millions. That's equivalent to the timeframe for VR from 2015-2020.

Yet going by your logic, PCs will never hit mass market. They did of course, so that immediately puts a hole in your argument.

You even say that the tech is not there for everyone to jump on it and yet somehow it will never hit mass market; this comment doesn't make sense considering the tech will continue to evolve.

To say nothing has changed from the 90s is silly; it has changed drastically, and will continue to change drastically over this decade.

The space requirements are overblown; you can play most VR games in a tiny space; PSVR's main space requirements come from the camera setup which is gone in most newer headsets.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
You do not understand how technological adoption works, or even economics for that matter.

Look back at PCs in the 70s and 80s. Throughout 1977-1982, PCs went from 0 consumer sales to low millions. That's equivalent to the timeframe for VR from 2015-2020.

Yet going by your logic, PCs will never hit mass market. They did of course, so that immediately puts a hole in your argument.

You even say that the tech is not there for everyone to jump on it and yet somehow it will never hit mass market; this comment doesn't make sense considering the tech will continue to evolve.

To say nothing has changed from the 90s is silly; it has changed drastically, and will continue to change drastically over this decade.

The space requirements are overblown; you can play most VR games in a tiny space; PSVR's main space requirements come from the camera setup which is gone in most newer headsets.
I have an understanding about economics as a business owner . Even the new business model i am working on is ment for mass market for the average joe. I cant disclose but i assure you i did extensive research and even the ecommerce site is built in a way so everyone understands it and can use it with ease .

How you compare pc to a toy is beyond me.

Pc is a mass market product not to mention its origin and application way before it went mainstream.

You are way off . Pc vs vr?? Come on man

Last edited:

John2290

Along with trophies, the exclusives and my already 23 year investment with them. I'll still drop them if they fuck up along with them fucking PSVR owners over, for now I'm observing over the next few months and I'll make a decision then. They have already created a list of things I'm pissed off at like upping the exclusives price point while games are already ridiculously expensive in Europe.

I have an understanding about economics as a business owner .

How you compare pc to a toy is beyond me.

Pc is a mass market product not to mention its origin and application way before it went mainstream.

You are way off . Pc vs vr?? Come on man
Not the kind of understanding needed to parse how technological adoption works.

PC was not a mass market product in 1982, which is why it cuts a hole in your argument.

What do you even mean it's origin and application - are you saying they were known before they were mainstream? Because a lot of people had no idea what PCs would be used for; same with VR. A few knew, just like a few know for VR.

Jtibh

Banned
Not the kind of understanding needed to parse how technological adoption works.

PC was not a mass market product in 1982, which is why it cuts a hole in your argument.

What do you even mean it's origin and application - are you saying they were known before they were mainstream? Because a lot of people had no idea what PCs would be used for; same with VR. A few knew, just like a few know for VR.
I was playing vr in arcades in the 80,s as a kid
Its been almost 40 years.

Please compare pc adoption and application in the past 40 years to vr.

I was playing vr in arcades in the 80,s as a kid
Its been almost 40 years.

Please compare pc adoption and application in the past 40 years to vr.
Computers also existed since the 1940s. You're trying to tie non-consumer and consumer markets together; VR in arcades is not a consumer product that you can go out and buy.

PCs became consumer products in 1977, and in 1982 - 5 years later - they still only sold in the low millions worldwide. It took another 10 years - the early 90s - for them to go mass market. This is true of all successful platforms; they take a long time to go mainstream, much longer than you believe.

As for why I compare PCs to VR, it's because VR is like the birth of personal computing; it's a change in the computing paradigm, bringing us from PCs/Mobile to spatial computing. VR is not a toy; it's going to have more uses than even PCs have.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I have a PSVR but I wouldn't play PSVR on the PS5.

Oculus has shown us you can do VR with better graphics than a PS4 and not need to be tethered to a console with a mess of cables.

Romulus

My

So you're saying in 30, 50, 100 years you can forecast VR technology'? That sounds arrogant and ignorant. People we're saying touch screen phones were a gimmick and would never hit the masses months before they did lol, but you know what 50 years from now will bring? And again, I don't agree that VR is a mass market thing, but its not going anywhere either.

What does that mean? It gives it time to improve even further.

Just look at the last 3 years. The Quest 2 allows you to play hi-end PC games with no wires at all for $300. And, it's not just cheaper, it's smaller, far more powerful, and many more games. Oh and btw, its been sold out off and on since its announcement. Quest 1 was sold out much of its lifetime.

Kinect, 3dtv, none of those devices ever got huge hardcore exclusives projects like Half Life, Metal of Honor, Splinter Cell, Asgard's Wrath, Walking Dead either, and this is all within a year or two. Kinect and the others couldn't manage that in a lifetime. It was all one year surge and then death, so, I just have yet to see anything that aligns with VR's growth. Anything that is slowly growing over 5 years isn't something you can just toss out of the equation in decades to come. VR tech is moving incredibly fast.

VR has come so far that people are used to it getting big exclusives you can't play outside of VR. Just imagine hearing the phrase "half life, exclusive for Kinect." It just sounds ridiculous. But VR? Oh, okay, I can see how that could work. People are just slowly understanding that its a part of the industry now. AAA devs will be working on VR, nothing you can do.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Computers also existed since the 1940s. You're trying to tie non-consumer and consumer markets together; VR in arcades is not a consumer product that you can go out and buy.

PCs became consumer products in 1977, and in 1982 - 5 years later - they still only sold in the low millions worldwide. It took another 10 years - the early 90s - for them to go mass market. This is true of all successful platforms; they take a long time to go mainstream, much longer than you believe.

As for why I compare PCs to VR, it's because VR is like the birth of personal computing; it's a change in the computing paradigm, bringing us from PCs/Mobile to spatial computing. VR is not a toy; it's going to have more uses than even PCs have.
But vr has no purpose other than having fun with.
Pc always had many ways to be utilized in a wide range of fields.
Computers were already used for war science etc and it evolved from there.

Tell me where woupd vr be used other than entertainment?
Even in medicine its last choice.

The only use for vr outside gaming i saw in realestate for virtual walkthroughs which i had the pleasure to use several times.

Honestly when you look at history pc was always on the up and was expanded on but vr died in the 80's came back for a brief moment in late 90's then died again and now its back for the last few years but i just dont see it will go anywhere from here on.

It is and always will be a niche device and a toy.

Evidence to that is the countless vr stores where you can pay for an hour or more to ride a roller coaster or whatever and they all sit empty with many closed down.

And dont get me wrong i am all for vr and want it to succed but corps are not putting much though into it as its just not that profitable.

I would have though by now that virtual tours at travel agencies to check out hotel or location amongs many things would be a big deal by now but nothing.
This just as an example of what else could be done with it.

Pc on the other hand had always a future and was used in office since the 70 hell maybe since the 80. It profited the company and made life a lot easier.
But vr is just for fun

Jtibh

Banned
Why do
So you're saying in 30, 50, 100 years you can forecast VR technology'? That sounds arrogant and ignorant. People we're saying touch screen phones were a gimmick and would never hit the masses months before they did lol, but you know what 50 years from now will bring? And again, I don't agree that VR is a mass market thing, but its not going anywhere either.

What does that mean? It gives it time to improve even further.

Just look at the last 3 years. The Quest 2 allows you to play hi-end PC games with no wires at all for $300. And, it's not just cheaper, it's smaller, far more powerful, and many more games. Oh and btw, its been sold out off and on since its announcement. Quest 1 was sold out much of its lifetime.

Kinect, 3dtv, none of those devices ever got huge hardcore exclusives projects like Half Life, Metal of Honor, Splinter Cell, Asgard's Wrath, Walking Dead either, and this is all within a year or two. Kinect and the others couldn't manage that in a lifetime. It was all one year surge and then death, so, I just have yet to see anything that aligns with VR's growth. Anything that is slowly growing over 5 years isn't something you can just toss out of the equation in decades to come. VR tech is moving incredibly fast.

VR has come so far that people are used to it getting big exclusives you can't play outside of VR. Just imagine hearing the phrase "half life, exclusive for Kinect." It just sounds ridiculous. But VR? Oh, okay, I can see how that could work. People are just slowly understanding that its a part of the industry now. AAA devs will be working on VR, nothing you can do.
Why do you ignore the history of vr? You make it sound like it hit market 5 years ago and will get better with time.

Vr is old very old tech. It was battling many things now its back.

Romulus

Why do

Why do you ignore the history of vr? You make it sound like it hit market 5 years ago and will get better with time.

Vr is old very old tech. It was battling many things now its back.

If we're going to argue old VR, why isnt virtual boy in this conversation? It's not because the technology is very different as is its application. That's how technology works. Cell phones were once ridiculously priced, shitty tech, bulky, etc, and were nothing like they are now. (Not making a mass market comparison)

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really have no interest in having multiple headsets in my house, but if PSVR2 is a massive jump over PSVR1 and is comparable to high-end PC headsets, and if you continue to see excellent PS-exclusive VR games like Astrobot, RE7, Tetris Effect (I know it’s on PC now, but only EGS so no), and WipeOut, I would consider getting it.

But vr has no purpose other than having fun with.
Pc always had many ways to be utilized in a wide range of fields.
Computers were already used for war science etc and it evolved from there.

Tell me where woupd vr be used other than entertainment?
Even in medicine its last choice.

The only use for vr outside gaming i saw in realestate for virtual walkthroughs which i had the pleasure to use several times.

Honestly when you look at history pc was always on the up and was expanded on but vr died in the 80's came back for a brief moment in late 90's then died again and now its back for the last few years but i just dont see it will go anywhere from here on.

It is and always will be a niche device and a toy.

Evidence to that is the countless vr stores where you can pay for an hour or more to ride a roller coaster or whatever and they all sit empty with many closed down.

And dont get me wrong i am all for vr and want it to succed but corps are not putting much though into it as its just not that profitable.

I would have though by now that virtual tours at travel agencies to check out hotel or location amongs many things would be a big deal by now but nothing.
This just as an example of what else could be done with it.

Pc on the other hand had always a future and was used in office since the 70 hell maybe since the 80. It profited the company and made life a lot easier.
But vr is just for fun
VR is already used in war and science.

You have to understand that VR is used in many fields and has many daily life applications for consumers. For consumers this means as a means of communication, education, exercise, learning new skills, attending events, travel, work productivity and so on.

FYI, consumer VR never died in the 80s; it only existed in the 90s. Everything before then was not a consumer product.

You need to take a step back and realize your views on the topic are entirely backwards.

Top Bottom