• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Spawn worth reading?

I think so. I have the entire catalog loaded oh my kindle though I have never read the final 30 issues. What I did read, albeit years ago, was great.

a line from one of the early issues I’ll never forget

Boys screamed, and girls screamed, so I made him scream...

and scream

and scream

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The movie will give you nightmares and make you regret being alive.
It's that bad...
Can't comment on the comics :(

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
All i know is the comica were pure awesome.

When I read them as a teenager in the 90s.

No idea how I'd feel about them now, to be honest.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You can alternatively listen to the album based on Spawn.

GreyHorace

Growing up in the '90s and reading Marvel comics, Todd Mcfarlane was my favorite artist. His Spider-Man was awesome to behold so when he left Marvel to form Image I was hyped as hell for Spawn. And for a time, I enjoyed it.

Then I got older and read Alan Moore's work, thus getting my first taste of actual great comicbook writing. And I began to see Spawn for what it actually was. A poorly written, well illustrated comic that revels in 90's grimdark cliches popular at the time.

So yeah, your mileage may vary. As a young teen who knows nothing, Spawn is the like the greatest thing ever. As an adult who's bothered to read better examples of the comicbook medium, it's a mediocre title with some pretty art, like a lot of the 90's comics at the time.

RevengeOfToonces

Neo Member
Spawn was my shit when it came out. I re-read the first couple dozen or so comics recently and they hold up for me, probably due to nostalgia. The writing isn't great but I always loved the artwork. Then again, people call it "dated" now, so what do I know. I'm just an old man who used to like comic books.

The movie was always trash but the HBO series wasn't bad. It wasn't great but it captured the characters and mood right.

Gargus

Banned
The first 50 issues is really good. After that it waxes and wanes and isn't really important to comics or anything.

This was on HBO right? Was it multiple seasons? I never saw it but will look for it

3 seasons and it is really good at capturing spawn. If I'm not mistaken it's on Amazon prime streaming for free. The DVD collections can be found rather cheap as well.

The HBO cartoon was excellent and is definitely worth watching. Keith David as Spawn was perfect, was super happy when they got him back for Spawn in Mortal Kombat.

teezzy

Banned
Screenshot-20200418-140101-e-Bay.jpg

Screenshot-20200418-140153-e-Bay.jpg

I actually just went ahead and snagged these off Ebay. I'm excited since I really know nothing about the character apart from him having made being an ex cop who made a deal with the devil to reunite himself with his wife. Also he looks cool. Spawn seems right up my nu metal loving alley.

GreyHorace

Hmmm

I always thought Todd was an ass in this feud with Neil Gaiman. He and the other boys at Image founded the company as a means to own the creator rights to their work, yet here he is making a fuss over Angela, a character Gaiman created in the pages of Spawn. What justification did he have to commit this act of hypocrisy?

teezzy

Banned
I always thought Todd was an ass in this feud with Neil Gaiman. He and the other boys at Image founded the company as a means to own the creator rights to their work, yet here he is making a fuss over Angela, a character Gaiman created in the pages of Spawn. What justification did he have to commit this act of hypocrisy?

First I'm hearing of it ultimately

Looks like issue 10 used some Marvel and DC characters which is why that one is missing. Hmmph.

Hopefully those two arent overly essential to the arc. Maybe I'll order the floppies online.

Bolivar687

Banned
Great art, okay but fun story. Todd is a legend and the series really hit its stride when Greg Capullo came in.

I recommend the Snyder and Capullo run on Batman as something awesome that came out of Spawn.

Blade2.0

I honestly forgot I made this thread, lol. Still haven't started it, but I'm in self-isolation cuz of the rona, so might as well start now.

Top Bottom