• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm reading Dr. Slump. Let's talk about it.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I've been meaning to read Dr. Slump for years, but Toriyama's passing motivated me to finally dive in.

I'm on Chapter 30. The gags are hilarious. The characters are all great. And the self-depricating humor is very funny.

Arale is awesome, but I think so far my favorite character is Akane, her bad influence friend.

NahaNago

i just wished they would release both anime series.

I never got that far into the manga but I did enjoy it. Akira Toriyama's passing reminded me that I never actually read dragon ball z. I read dragon ball and dragon ball super.

I wonder now since Arale is in the dragon ball universe why she didn't appear during the buu arc. How would beerus and whis handle Arale?

Funny enough I just started reading this as well, and I agree it is really quite amazing. The fourth wall gags are really good too. I'm also using the digital Shonen Jump, $3 a month or whatever it costs is a steal.

I've also noticed two different designs so far that Nintendo might have stolen for Mario games lol

NecrosaroIII

Funny enough I just started reading this as well, and I agree it is really quite amazing. The fourth wall gags are really good too. I'm also using the digital Shonen Jump, $3 a month or whatever it costs is a steal.

I've also noticed two different designs so far that Nintendo might have stolen for Mario games lol
Yeah, I love that Toriyama is actually a character in it. He's really funny in it too.

And yeah, Mario definitely has some explaining to do.

Yeah, I love that Toriyama is actually a character in it. He's really funny in it too.

And yeah, Mario definitely has some explaining to do.
The tanuki suit is so blatant its hilarious

Another thing I really love about this comic is that it feels like you are somehow a part of Toriyama's life when reading it. So many self inserts, so many last panel diagrams of his work area or manga creating process, you kind of feel like you are following along with his life.

I haven't really read any other manga so I don't know if this is common, but it is really fun and interesting.

Reactions: RNG
Just started reading it this year too before his passing. The manga/anime is hilarious!

I personally think Toriyama's strength is his character design and his perverted humor. Dr. Slump anime series is the only animated series since The Simpsons that made me LOL!

Here is the original design of Arale. And you can see the original Detective Slump on the left!

iu

I need to read the manga too. I've watched the anime years ago when I was in Hong Kong and despite the Cantonese dub doing a pretty good job overall, I'm pretty sure they had made lots of changes and omissions even back when I was a kid. still, I remember when Goku happened upon their village in Dragon Balls and it gave me the biggest smile when I saw it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Dr. Slump is peak Toriyama when it comes to the art. Those fine round lines, those perfect expressions, the detail. I didn’t particularly care for the manga after the first few books because it was repetitive and it got too weird after a while, plus a lot of the humor gets lost in translation. Still, I debated selling my volumes for a long time because some panels just look amazing.

NecrosaroIII

Dr. Slump is peak Toriyama when it comes to the art. Those fine round lines, those perfect expressions, the detail. I didn’t particularly care for the manga after the first few books because it was repetitive and it got too weird after a while, plus a lot of the humor gets lost in translation. Still, I debated selling my volumes for a long time because some panels just look amazing.
It's so clean looking. I tried to read One Piece recently, and it's so busy that it's hard to tell what's going on. But with Dr. Slump, it's deceptively simple. It really lets the humor shine through

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It's so clean looking. I tried to read One Piece recently, and it's so busy that it's hard to tell what's going on. But with Dr. Slump, it's deceptively simple. It really lets the humor shine through
Current One Piece I'd 100% agree with you but I'm re-reading Skypiea right now that's in the 200s and the paneling is so refreshing compared to the dense text filled pages of current One Piece. So I think you're capping on that.

Toriyama's manga theatre is a good show case of his skill and progression. He hates actually making manga but it made him money is the impression I got from it in the end.

Top Bottom