• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a point in Sound Cards anymore?

marjo

I use a Xonar card that encodes 5.1 to Dts and connect it to my receiver via an optical cable. Unfortunately, I don't have a better way of getting surround sound, since my receiver doesn't accept 5.1 analog input and trying to use HDMI for audio only causes issues since Windows expects another monitor.

Last edited:

JCK75

Honestly...not really.
however I do use a USB-C audio interface on pretty muc every machine I have.
but that's mostly because I'm a musician and it's easier for me to have that setup... so I pretty much bypass my computers soundcard entirely.

Whitecrow

Banned
Do you make music on it? If not, then no.
And if you dont have high quality speakers or headset, also no.

You wont hear any massive difference that makes you feel that it was worth it.

Soosa

Banned
I've built 3 PCs in the last 10 or more years or so and not once did I ever buy a sound card for my builds.

It's that time again, where I am looking to build a new machine either next year or the one after. Anyways... who still buys sound cards? What do they provide ? Is it just for audiophiles? Someone with good knowledge please explain to me who still buys these?

Doesn't majority of audio quality just comes from how good of a headset you have? Or am I speaking nonsense?
Depends.

They are basically un-usable / have no use.

If your setup is "livingroom pc with tv". then your audio goes trough HDMI to tv and/or amp, so soundcard would not even work. Maybe you could connect it to amps 5.1 rca connectors, if amp is old enough to have them.

and digital audio is "perfect" so it will be decoded in tv/amp and their quality is the weakest link, after speakers and acoustics.

For pc+monitor D Desk setup they could have some use, for small active speakers etc.

notseqi

I bought a Asus Xonar DGX for the TOS-Link(=optical) coz I can't be arsed to use the bundle of cables I'd otherwise have to plug in. Not sure it does much as I never was able to make the Logitech ZX901 bend the knee before or after, had onboard TOSlink before I got a new PC.

A.Romero

I used to have an Audigy back in the day, it was an amazing card. Nowadays I play with a TV on a home theater so it's HDMI sound for me. When I play games on the desktop such as Battlefield headphones give me enough quality.

Laptop1991

I've had loads of Creative cards over the years and still use my ZXR all the time, but there are software issues at times, but i still like my card, although you probably don't need them as much now as when EAX was a big thing way back.

Filben

Depends on the mobo and your setup.

You have a headset with high impedance and you might need to amplify the signal to get good volume and acustics.

Maybe your onboard only supports 5.1 or lacks the support of certain formats, like DTX: Headphones etc.

If you have a good mobo that suits your setup you might get diminishing returns from a soundcard. My brother upgraded recently and he thought the sound stage and high frequency tones are a little bit more clear. But just so much, or little, that it's hard to justify the 100 EUR, I think, he spent. Technically, it's still an improvement though.

So as always: depends heavily on your habits, setup, and how well your hearing is trained to certain things that bothering you but wouldn't be bothering other people.

Last edited:
Does sound even matter what is the point of sound.
It matters to some, depends what equipment do you have. Cheap headphones, not so much.

Better equipment? You can hear the imperfections in sound especially in trebles on low end audio cards or integrated chips. There's also audio format. If you listen only to mp3s and have a good card or USB DAC, you won't really push better signal. Only when you play some FLAC or other lossless format with a good equipment, you will hear how trebles and maybe mids were compressed as hell compared to mp3s.

I would argue about extra expensive audio voodoo stuff though. Audiophiles can be weird sometimes. I have a friend which listens to cables and stuff. Or if a CD is covered with 24k gold it suddenly sounds better than normal CD. I read about this japanese audiophile which bought his own power line because he heard distortions in the main power line :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

AJUMP23

It matters to some, depends what equipment do you have. Cheap headphones, not so much.

Better equipment? You can hear the imperfections in sound especially in trebles on low end audio cards or integrated chips. There's also audio format. If you listen only to mp3s and have a good card or USB DAC, you won't really push better signal. Only when you play some FLAC or other lossless format with a good equipment, you will hear how trebles and maybe mids were compressed as hell compared to mp3s.

I would argue about extra expensive audio voodoo stuff though. Audiophiles can be weird sometimes. I have a friend which listens to cables and stuff. Or if a CD is covered with 24k gold it suddenly sounds better than normal CD. I read about this japanese audiophile which bought his own power line because he heard distortions in the main power line :messenger_tears_of_joy:.
I appreciate you effort to my joke.

Rambone

Depends on the individual's needs. If just powering headphones or earphones, then on-board audio is probably good enough for most. I personally have moved on to dedicated dacs and amps which I guess you can consider an external sound card but my buying internal sound card days are long over with.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When did most gamers just live with whatever audio chip is in their PC? Back in the day it was all about Adlib, then getting good Soundblaster cards.

Maybe 2000?

Rambone

When did most gamers just live with whatever audio chip is in their PC? Back in the day it was all about Adlib, then getting good Soundblaster cards.

Maybe 2000?

I dunno, surfing /r headphones you would be surprised how many dudes are only rocking on-board audio still and then complaining why their new mid-fi headphone sounds like shit or doesn't get loud enough.

lukilladog

Short response, If you're still using external speakers like I do. Yes. Everyone says onboard is equivalent. It's not. I tried.

What about external speakers?. Do you mean passive speakers?, because I´ve had no problems with powered sets.

Ps.- People were mentioning the analog input of sound cards, microphone or capture. I use that all the time to plug in my phone and watch stuff, on the gigabyte h610m and the asus b660m it works just as well as it did on my Xonar card... or maybe better, sound level might be a bit higher.

Thanks for the detailed response. I haven't used or touched speakers for more than half my life at this point. I only have a GoPro XLR, Condenser Mic and Headset. My PC is mostly is being used for video production for YouTube and stuff lol. Never really cared for surround sound and I feel like current day headsets are good enough.
your headset is made of speakers (small ones), but i get what youre saying.

if youre happy with what you have, stay happy.

maybe if a birthday or christmas comes up one year, and you cant think of something you want... maybe use the opportunity to get better headphones. you might be surprised by how much you like them.

nkarafo

Yes. I never found any motherboard that comes close to the sound i can achieve with my sound card.

If you don't care and don't tinker with the sound, use only the defaults, etc, then i guess it doesn't matter.

Probably OT for this thread but nevertheless, if you want to record music for example, you need a dedicated sound card so you get low input latency during the recording.

dem

If your computer audio sucks.. buy the Apple USB-C audio adapter.

Fixed for 10 bucks.

Its shocking how much better it made the audio on my work Dell. Night and day.

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Am surprised Creative hasn't yet made a Sound Blaster with an HDMI audio port on it. One that could assist with processing Dolby Atmos would be nice.
Yet their latest and greatest card is still rocking the old Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect (5.1) encoders.

Last edited:

Digfox

Am surprised Creative hasn't yet made a Sound Blaster with an HDMI audio port on it. One that could assist with processing Dolby Atmos would be nice.
Yet their latest and greatest card is still rocking the old Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect (5.1) encoders.
At a guess HDMI licensing, HDCP and that their core market is PC users on USB inputs. Tbf their competitors; Astro, Sennheiser all have similar boxes with no HDMI. And most headphones DAC/AMPs don't have HDMI either where it's of no benefit to audiophiles.

Last edited:

Sophist

I have turned off in the bios the audiochip of the motherboard. I am using my monitor DAC and an usb microphone. It's sad that monitor reviews never talk about the audio output quality.

Starhowl

On some systems (such as laptops) the analogue output hums with GPU-load and connecting a sound module via USB decouples the problem so it’s crystal clear again. :pie_hugging

When not connected via HDMI even on desktop systems there is a significant improvement of sound quality! :pie_open_mouth:

Last edited:

Kumomeme

depend on your setup and your onboard motherboard audio chipset. you might need it or not. most people just use DAC/AMP nowdays. there lof of option too.

Last edited:
What about external speakers?. Do you mean passive speakers?, because I´ve had no problems with powered sets.

Ps.- People were mentioning the analog input of sound cards, microphone or capture. I use that all the time to plug in my phone and watch stuff, on the gigabyte h610m and the asus b660m it works just as well as it did on my Xonar card... or maybe better, sound level might be a bit higher.
I'm hesitant to use the term passive speakers for the ones that I have, but it's the closest description. I use an old Creative surround set that plugs into a subwoofer; I'm not sure there is a receiver as part of it, which is why I hesitate to call them passive, but it's probably the most technically correct.

I have given thought to buying a receiver and passive speakers for my computer before, but I've dreaded running into technical issues with it, and don't really want the extra heat generation and power consumption in my computer area from a receiver. While these aren't the highest quality speakers in the world, they've always sufficed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005Z21D/?tag=neogaf0e-20

lukilladog

I'm hesitant to use the term passive speakers for the ones that I have, but it's the closest description. I use an old Creative surround set that plugs into a subwoofer; I'm not sure there is a receiver as part of it, which is why I hesitate to call them passive, but it's probably the most technically correct.

I have given thought to buying a receiver and passive speakers for my computer before, but I've dreaded running into technical issues with it, and don't really want the extra heat generation and power consumption in my computer area from a receiver. While these aren't the highest quality speakers in the world, they've always sufficed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005Z21D/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The little ones are passive but are powered by the subwoofer, not the sound card. There are plenty of hq and affordable tiny amplifiers nowadays, more efficient and more powerful than the amp in that sub, one of those with some quality shelf speakers would kill it.

Top Bottom