• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this recent generational jump, the lowest ever(PS5/XSX/XSS)?

bitbydeath

.... 3D completely changes and reinvents the design philosophy of a game. not in the same ballpark as graphics. Not to mention that GTA had to do all that while being a gigantic open world video game. 30fps would be justified here
3D is graphics?
Are you just thinking resolution or bigger picture here?

bitbydeath

3D change how the camera works and you move your character is 3D space, it’s no where near the same thing as textures or ray tracing BS.
Why are you limiting graphics to only obscure things? I’m talking about the whole picture and how it interacts. That is what frame rate limits, not just resolution, textures or ray-tracing.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Dimishing returns wont be a thing until we hit photorealism...

The idea of diminishing returns doesn't really have anything to do with photorealism though. Diminishing returns in 3D graphics started as soon as the medium began, it's been a thing the entire time. It's true that we won't have reached the pinnacle of 3D graphics until we get to photorealism, but that is really separate from the issue of diminishing returns. Say we need 100x more power to achieve real-time photorealism, while the end result will be great it still won't be as big of a difference in comparison to the graphics of today as it would have been going back and comparing a PS1 game to something from a gpu 100x stronger. Thus the visible results of the technological jump would have diminished.

Diminishing returns doesn't mean we won't see improvement though.

Last edited:
Playing HFW and Ratchet at 60-90 frames on my OLED I beg to differ lol the jump is huge with the right devs idk what some of you guys are playing to think the jump is small or better yet I see people saying no jump at all we just got more frames, yeah OK the higher textures and fidelity on my screen must be a lie, hell the Destiny 2 update even blew me away 😀 . Being that I'm not and have never been a PC player might color my experience differently than many here but if someone was ever only a console gamer coming into this generation I don't understand some complaints. My only complaint is we just don't have enough to play like last generation and more games aren't made solely for these consoles its been 3 years I didn't expect cross gen to last for that long.

Noxxera

Playing HFW and Ratchet at 60-90 frames on my OLED I beg to differ lol the jump is huge with the right devs idk what some of you guys are playing to think the jump is small or better yet I see people saying no jump at all we just got more frames, yeah OK the higher textures and fidelity on my screen must be a lie, hell the Destiny 2 update even blew me away 😀 . Being that I'm not and have never been a PC player might color my experience differently than many here but if someone was ever only a console gamer coming into this generation I don't understand some complaints. My only complaint is we just don't have enough to play like last generation and more games aren't made solely for these consoles its been 3 years I didn't expect cross gen to last for that long.
Great. You hype me up even more for when i can buy a series x or ps5. Reason, i think, cross-gen has lasted so long was because of covid, and the component shortage for the consoles, making them harder to buy. Transition hasn't been smooth and not everyone got the console they wanted even 1-2 years after it launched

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why are you limiting graphics to only obscure things? I’m talking about the whole picture and how it interacts. That is what frame rate limits, not just resolution, textures or ray-tracing.
Go look at the thread like …..

Most conversation about graphics is eye candy and make it as realistic as possible, thats people who obsess with graphics all they ever talk about.

I mean people gone crazy over clouds for Horizon DLC and how impressive but did change or improved the the gameplay?

bitbydeath

Go look at the thread like …..

Most conversation about graphics is eye candy and make it as realistic as possible, thats people who obsess with graphics all they ever talk about.

I mean people gone crazy over clouds for Horizon DLC and how impressive but did change or improved the the gameplay?
I’m more interested in dynamic AI.
RDR2 plays just as clunky at 30FPS as it does at 120FPS. Frame rate is no gaming saviour.

HighPoly

Banned
People are saying PS5 PRO will change everything, but PS5 PRO is just a PS5 with some msucles to run the SAME games in higher resolutions and framerates.
PS4 PRO has not changed the level graphics from PS4XONE era...
That console just pushed the PS4 games to a better settings, like from medium to high, or 1080p to 1440p, or 30fps to 60fps.

Last edited:

simpatico

It's not trivial to differentiate software from X360 era to what we have today. Especially if you can match the resolution. Hell even stuff as old as Half Life 2 and Doom 3 still holds it's own (in motion and not staring at textures).

Danjin44

RDR2 plays just as clunky at 30FPS as it does at 120FPS. Frame rate is no gaming saviour.
That’s because R* put most their effort towards making their game “immersive“ and “realistic” rather than making game actual fun to control and play.

I’m not type of person who say 30FPS is “unplayable“ to me that’s stupid but 60FPS feels MUCH better to control 100% which makes it game much more smooth to play.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
3D is graphics?
Are you just thinking resolution or bigger picture here?
yes, 3D is graphics. But it's also an extra fucking dimension. GTA in 2D plays wildly different than in 3D when it comes to movement, shooting, vehicles, etc. GTA3 completely changed the fucking scene. 3D's impact on gaming being reduced to 'pretty graphics' is dishonest as fuck & you only say that for the sake of argument.

Batiman

Banned
of course the extremely scripted platforming, the climbing that won't let the player fail at any jump, and the handholding at every point are also amazing ;)

also can't forget the slow walking and squeezing through cracks!

and what about that super easy combat on normal, which gets super annoying at higher difficulties! also amazing! 😁

great games! but if I had to give some criticism, it's not quite scripted enough!
if they want to get on that Sega Mega CD FMV level they still have a lot of work to do!
I agree with your criticisms and I love the series. You just have to be in the mood for it. I hate to say it like a negative, but it’s a cinematic experience. A good one.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
....no, it plays less clunky at 120FPS, lol. Less input delay and inputs are more responsive. RDR2 is significantly better played at 60 than at 30.

So, why haven't we made the leap to 4D yet?
because of crossgen :p

We haven't, but VR is the closest thing and I'm all in for it

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
In graphics, sure; but in load times, processing power, and framerate, then I consider it a huge jump.

bitbydeath

yes, 3D is graphics. But it's also an extra fucking dimension. GTA in 2D plays wildly different than in 3D when it comes to movement, shooting, vehicles, etc. GTA3 completely changed the fucking scene. 3D's impact on gaming being reduced to 'pretty graphics' is dishonest as fuck & you only say that for the sake of argument.
And that’s what I’d rather than 60FPS. Something that shakes things up.

bitbydeath

That’s because R* put most their effort towards making their game “immersive“ and “realistic” rather than making game actual fun to control and play.

I’m not type of person who say 30FPS is “unplayable“ to me that’s stupid but 60FPS feels MUCH better to control 100% which makes it game much more smooth to play.
60FPS isn’t worth the restrictions that could be had in gameplay improvements… IMO

Last edited:

bitbydeath

but it's LESS clunky.

Frame rate doesn't radically overhaul the momement system of a game but it makes it more responsive. This is an objective fact. if you want it to be 'fixed' go get a mod
Nah, I don’t even agree on less clunky, it’s the same clunkiness.

Eg. Look around 3mins in.

Frame rate doesn’t solve clunky gameplay.

Devs are wasting power on 60FPS.
Granted these are mostly all cross-gen games too, hopefully that will change in future.
I really think Hellblade 2 will break the cycle and will usher in the true next-gen graphics feats, set the bar and will pretty much be the Crysis of this generation.

Will it remain on top? I doubt it, but it'll never fall too far behind. People will always point at it and say "that was the game that changed everything".

Am I wrong? Possibly. But I sure hope not.

I don't see that much of a difference... but it's probably because I still play on a 10+ years old 1080p tv.

No complaints though, I was blown away by some PS4 games, same with PS5 games.

Danjin44

60FPS isn’t worth the restrictions that could be had in gameplay improvements… IMO
What restrictions? In fact what I see more often is the high detail graphics and always going towards realism whats restricting them.

Again look at Spider Man 2 graphics thread.

The conversation is not about how they could improved gameplay or having more in interesting interactions, oh god no! It’s mostly about why the game doesn’t look like “next gen”……that’s it!

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
we got 60 fps more often though.

And expect lower generational gap moving forward

so-be-it-jedi.gif

Then we go a full gen with slightly lower graphics for 60fps modes, and this will be the one generation where we put graphics on standby so that 60fps becomes a locked-in standard going forward. We're already 1/3 of the way done with this generation anyway.

What's another 6 years.

R.b8441510c6aeed06699291e0999c2eca
My thoughts exactly. It's worth the wait.

I prefer this gen to 8th gen where the graphic leap was exciting but played worse with sluggish ass 30fps.

bitbydeath

What restrictions? In fact what I see more often is the high detail graphics and always going towards realism whats restricting them.

The conversation is not about how they could improved gameplay or having more in interesting interactions, oh god no! It’s mostly about why the game doesn’t look like “next gen”……that’s it!
I’ve added a number of examples in this thread already, they’re more extreme side but it shows if devs put more power elsewhere instead of double the frames it could change things dramatically.

Spider-Man 2 is 60FPS.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Yep. No hype over the new venom suit, new traversal abilities, expanded map, instead it's MUH GWAPHIX, while everyone else is excited for it.
Why can't more people be normal about this shit. Who cares if it looks next gen or not. Story's going in a whole ass new direction and we're getting a bunch of new moves and gameplay.

In general this shit is fucking annoying. People were pissed at the Sony Showcase because of the lack of first party games (which really translates to lack of gwaphics & AAA prod values) while i was just vibing

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Of course it is the smallest jump in perceived quality. Next gen will be even smaller. It will be interesting to see when they actually launch next gen.

This gen always seemed weak. Once I started seeing all the different modes you could play games in, making you compromise quality over performance, I knew I would rather spend my money on upgrading my video card rather than buy any of these consoles. And I couldn't be happier. Especially since a lot of these console exclusives are also coming to PC. I was never the type to buy a game when its first released. So Things have really been working out pretty good for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mid-gen consoles have spoiled us.

The jump from base Xbox One / PS4 to Series X / PS5 is pretty freaking huge. Definitely larger than the jump from Xbox 360 / PS3 to Xbox One / PS4.

The jump from Xbox One X / PS4 Pro to Series X / PS5 though? Less impactful. You're pretty much gaining 60fps and SSD load times right now vs the Pro consoles.

Mid-gen consoles have spoiled us.

The jump from base Xbox One / PS4 to Series X / PS5 is pretty freaking huge. Definitely larger than the jump from Xbox 360 / PS3 to Xbox One / PS4.

The jump from Xbox One X / PS4 Pro to Series X / PS5 though? Less impactful. You're pretty much gaining 60fps and SSD load times right now vs the Pro consoles.
If you think the jump from PS4 to PS5 was huge, I wonder how you feel about every previous generational leap which were much bigger.

If you think the jump from PS4 to PS5 was huge, I wonder how you feel about every previous generational leap which were much bigger.

900p-1080p/30fps/low-med settings/5400rpm mechanical hard drive to 1440p-4k/60fps/high settings/ssd drive is a very significant jump.

Again, unquestionably larger than the jump from PS3 to PS4 IMO.

Moore's Law is slowing down. It's increasingly difficult to make smaller process nodes.
And this means slower advancements and higher prices.

Also, there is the problem of diminishing returns. For example, doubling the polygon count on a PS1 era game would make a huge diference.
Doubling the polygon count on a PS5 era game, makes a small diference, that people will only notice with a 400% zoom.

Still, the PS5/Series GPU was a good jump rom the PS4/Xbox One GPU, both in speed and features.
And the CPU was a gigantic jump, over the Jaguar.
Tfw we will never cross the uncanny valley

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Minor jump for me when using fidelity mode. The 60fps makes a massive difference. The graphic quality has not been a big jump. Ratchet and Clank is still the only wow current generaton game.

I was talking more in terms of "in practice" rather than "on paper".

So am I.

I think the games we've seen in the first couple years of this generation, like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, and Horizon Burning Shores, are definitely larger leaps over the best we've seen on base PS4 than what we saw in the first few years of PS4 (Killzone, Infamous: Second Son, Bloodborne) compared to the best stuff on PS3.

And again, there is the reality of diminishing returns as well. Games are only going to look so good. It's the same reason that Toy Story 3 is a much more significant leap over Toy Story 2 than Toy Story 4 was over Toy Story 3, for example.

Last edited:
So am I.

I think the games we've seen in the first couple years of this generation, like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, and Horizon Burning Shores, are definitely larger leaps over the best we've seen on base PS4 than what we saw in the first few years of PS4 (Killzone, Infamous: Second Son, Bloodborne) compared to the best stuff on PS3.

And again, there is the reality of diminishing returns as well. Games are only going to look so good. It's the same reason that Toy Story 3 is a much more significant leap over Toy Story 2 than Toy Story 4 was over Toy Story 3, for example.
I disagree heavily with all of these examples but if I post screenshot comparisons with sony exclusives I will get banned(last time I got a warning for doing that). Anyway, just know that I disagree. There is only a slightly more polished look its more or less the same as 8th gen.

Yes, diminishing returns plays a part.

Last edited:
Top Bottom