• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the most advanced 16 bit game?

sinnergy

I never had a Genesis/Megadrive, I was more of a Nintendo guy. Worshipped Donkey Kong Country , Super Metroid . Played occasionally on a Megadrive at a friends house, games always looked below SNES to be honest.

But this Megadrive game (which I now play on Analogue Pocket) looks incredible. Missed it because released at the end of that generation.

The adventures of Batman and Robin genesis / Megadrive .

Made by a relative new team . Even Game hut / coding secrets / traveler tales has videos about this game.

I am blown away by all the effects and levels in this game .What do you guys think?

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I never had a Genesis/Megadrive, I was more of a Nintendo guy. Worshipped Donkey Kong Country , Super Metroid . Played occasionally on a Megadrive at a friends house, games always looked below SNES to be honest.

But this Megadrive game (which I now play on Analogue Pocket) looks incredible. Missed it because released at the end of that generation.

The adventures of Batman and Robin genesis / Megadrive .

Made by a relative new team . Even Game hut / coding secrets / traveler tales has videos about this game.

I am blown away by all the effects and levels in this game .What do you guys think?

I played it at Funcoland as a kid. I remember being absolutely blown away, I would have been 10 at the time. Haven't played it in years but whenever I think back on genesis graphics that game always stands out in my memories.

sinnergy

I played it at Funcoland as a kid. I remember being absolutely blown away, I would have been 10 at the time. Haven't played it in years but whenever I think back on genesis graphics that game always stands out in my memories.
I didn’t even knew this version was different from the SNES version .

Most advanced 16-bit game? Starfox just because of it being a 3D game on a 16-bit console and to top if off it was insanely fun to play!

star-fox-arwing.gif

I really liked Flashback on the SNES as well:

flashback-game.gif

flashback-game.gif

Last edited:

Gudji

This ones are good looking too:

Earthworm Jim (There's a sequel too Earthworm Jim 2)

Vectorman

Pitfall

Flashback is great too (the one posted above). Then there's other more 3D looking games that I'm not really remembering as of now, what a great time it was.

And course one of my all time favorites (probably not the best looking tho), played this game so much Streets of Rage 2:

Last edited:
This ones are good looking too:

Earthworm Jim (There's a sequel too Earthworm Jim 2)

Vectorman

Pitfall

Flashback is great too (the one posted above). Then there's other more 3D looking games that I'm not really remembering as of now, what a great time it was.

And course one of my all time favorites (probably not the best looking tho), played this game so much Streets of Rage 2:

Earthworm Jim, that was an amazing game!

Gudji

3D games

Virtua Racing:

Virtua Fighter 2:

Sonic 3D:

Honestly the genesis/mega-drive had so many great games. That alongside the original PSX are my favorite consoles of all time, I wish I had the opportunity to have a SNES too but never happened, my group of friends all had sega at the time dunno why.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea, Redzone on Genesis is insane. That is what happens when you have a 68k processor along with a bunch of demo scene lunatics actively trying to max out the hardware. It's probably the most advanced 16-bit game, just on base hardware.

Holammer

Batman and Robin does every trick in the book for the Megadrive.
Konami also crammed in a few tricks in Contra Hard Corps. Let's put in a line scroll road effect for just a boss fight!

cireza

There are a ton of impressive MegaDrive games because the console offered a lot of room to do things on software, thanks to the excellent CPU.

Street Racer for example has an absurdly smooth, fully textured road scroll.
Outrun 2019 has the most elaborated tracks of a forward scrolling racing game.
Zyrinx did notable games with Subterrania and Red Zone.
Batman & Robin is also very impressive has a lot various effects.
Check Traveller's Tales games as well (Toy Story, Mickey Mania, Sonic 3D, Puggsy).
Chuck Rock 2 is also super impressive (another European dev by the way).
Panomara Cotton is worth checking.
Konami did some nice things as well, for example in Rocket Knight, Castlevania and Contra.
Treasure is another one, with Gunstar Heroes, Yu Yu Hakusho (4 players fighting games, two lines, zooming) and Alien Soldier.
Landstalker is another very impressive MegaDrive game. It is not only 3D isometric, but is perfectly smooth and had a ton of content.
Comix Zone is worth checking. Very innovative transitions and big sprites.
Vectorman is another one. Excellent use of the hardware, including Shadow & Highlight.
Jurassic Park Lost World has impressive sequences, as well as excellent use of the color palette.

There are many others that deserve a mention but that's already quite a lot.

I have no idea if these games were on SNES but I loved them:
On SNES these games are low res (which doesn't help) and Urban Strike has an abysmal port, riddled with slowdowns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom