• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS blows up ancient Burial site and Mosque of Jonah (of the whale story) in Mosul

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
In other historically sickening news. ISIS has taken control of a Christian monastery just outside of Mosul that dates back to the 300's (4th century), nearly nearly 300 hundred years before Islam even existed. They kicked all the monks out. Unfortunately, this ancient monastery may very well be destroyed too.

Not sure if I should make its own thread, but here it is.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28408926

my sister in law's family lost their home, their car, and their money was taken.

they've also threatened others to convert or be killed.

hope they all die a painful death.

ISIS goon destroying the tomb before the explosive demolition

0.jpg

ASIS

I don't either. But believe me, you can use holy books to justify just about anything. And we've seen just about anything used to justify all manner of horrible acts over the years.

You really can't. Hadith, however, is an entirely different story.

So sad. I wonder if they would destroy the pyramids in Egypt given the chance.
Without a shred of doubt.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
to be fair... the mosque wasn't that old.... it's the land the mosque was built on that is sacred..a new mosque can be built in the same spot.

still a shame, no sacred location should experience such animosity.

My real question is, why hasn't Iraq formally requested NATO's help in getting rid of these khwarijites, like Libya's opposition government did with Qaddafi?

Same thing happened to my family there. Assyrian? Syriac?

ya, it's a shame the majority have fled, and continue to do so since the start of the US invasion. The Semitic people of that land will be non-existent soon enough, sucks. Nothing will be done to change that.

ramuh

In other historically sickening news. ISIS has taken control of a Christian monastery just outside of Mosul that dates back to the 300's (4th century), nearly nearly 300 hundred years before Islam even existed. They kicked all the monks out. Unfortunately, this ancient monastery may very well be destroyed too.

Not sure if I should make its own thread, but here it is.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28408926

This and the OT article is just so sickening. I don't care what religion you are destroying such historical buildings should be a serious crime. Not that anyone can do anything about it. Still pisses me off.

So sad. I wonder if they would destroy the pyramids in Egypt given the chance.

Why? It's scary to think how fast something like the eifel tower, the louvre or the sphinx can just be erased.

Well speaking of the Sphinx and Pyramids, the Sphinx's nose was apparently destroyed by a Muslims in 1378 because of idolatry.

The Arab historian al-Maqrīzī, writing in the 15th century, attributes the loss of the nose to iconoclasm by Muhammad Sa'im al-Dahr, a Sufi Muslim from the khanqah of Sa'id al-Su'ada. In AD 1378, upon finding the local peasants making offerings to the Sphinx in the hope of increasing their harvest, Sa'im al-Dahr was so outraged that he destroyed the nose, and was hanged for vandalism.[33] Al-Maqrīzī describes the Sphinx as the "talisman of the Nile" on which the locals believed the flood cycle depended
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sphinx_of_Giza#Missing_nose_and_beard

For fuck's sake . . . 700 hundred years later and we are still doing the same stupid shit. I don't think our species is gonna last long term. We are too fucking stupid.

mjontrix

It's times like this when you sort of wish Saddam was still in power. What a damn mess Iraq now is. ISIS needs to be dealt with and dealt with quickly.

If I'm understanding correctly, ISIS practices a brand of Islam that isn't too fond of "shrines" or "holy sites". So... expect more of this.

Wahabi/Salafist.

Basically what the Saudis practise, in particular the 'royal' family.

ramuh

Yes, but at this point, even the Royal family hates the ISIS. As a matter of fact, Arab News is a newspaper from Saudi Arabia.

Contained Proxy becomes full fledged adult. There's no doubt if they have the chance ISIS would bite the hand of the Saudi Royal Family.

ramuh

Bite? I'm willing to bet they want nothing more than to decapitate the head of the Royal family.

Lol. Your right. By bite I meant devour. These English Words don't convey what I mean sometimes. There probably going to be focusing in on Jordan next anyways.

Boss Mog

This is why Islam just doesn't work. Even if everybody is Muslim the extremists will still oppress the moderates and there will always be violence and bloodshed. Such a shame that a historical Mosque was destroyed, really that makes me sad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think that's pretty inarguable. Of course Sadam and his family would just be committing other horrible acts. But that might be preferable to this mess. Thanks GWB!

He might have fallen anyways during the Arab Spring...which would still put us in the early days of sectarian conflict.

What relics and historical sites does islam have left? Might want to start preserving those.

Mecca and Medina are the big two and Saudi Arabia is protecting them well. They've got lots of oil money to do so in addition to all the tourist money from those making the Haj. Number 3 would be the Dome of the Rock in Israel sitting there are on the Temple Mount. It is crazy . . . our world may literally end someday due to a fight over that. If it does . . . so be it. We are not worthy. The great filter has taken us.

Mecca and Medina are the big two and Saudi Arabia is protecting them well. They've got lots of oil money to do so in addition to all the tourist money from those making the Haj. Number 3 would be the Dome of the Rock in Israel sitting there are on the Temple Mount. It is crazy . . . our world may literally end someday due to a fight over that. If it does . . . so be it. We are not worthy. The great filter has taken us.

Number 3 is actually Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT the Dome of the Rock, that's something else entirely.

But that should be safe from ISIS as that's in Israel. Mecca and Medina would be safe too, there's no way they'd get there. If anything, even Pakistan would help as they did during the Grand Mosque Seizure.

. If anything, even Pakistan would help as they did during the Grand Mosque Seizure.

Apart from burning down the American Embassy and killing a Marine guard there Pakistan did nothing during the 1979 Grand Mosque seizure. French special forces with temporary conversions to islam were the main help to retake it.

Also no one seems to give a shit over 35 000 Christians been forced out at gunpoint ...

that did not happen as you describe.

christian men were asked to pay the Jizya.

The amount asked was $80 per year. Let me clarify that again, not per month but $80 per year.

Muslims pay more on zakat.

the christans were paying more in taxes when maliki was in control.

Its sad to see the Christians leave mosul to be honest as they were welcome to stay, churches are protected and so are homes and businesses.

Those morons haven't been kind to Ottoman-era historical sites either. It's a damn shame. Gotta make room for 5 star hotels and clock towers somehow, right?
It's so painful to recognize the situation. The Orwellian, imposing and evil looking clocktower hotel. What were they thinking, really.

that did not happen as you describe.

christian men were asked to pay the Jizya.

The amount asked was $80 per year. Let me clarify that again, not per month but $80 per year.

Muslims pay more on zakat.

the christans were paying more in taxes when maliki was in control.

Its sad to see the Christians leave mosul to be honest as they were welcome to stay, churches are protected and so are homes and businesses.
FFS. .. Please go there and join the fight. Have fun being a bigot.

CTLance

Why do these nutters always go after cultural heritage sites. Dammit. As if the Buddhas of Bamiyan weren't bad enough already, now we have a new bunch that just as happily blow up precious one-of-a-kind relics of the old ages. Fuck that.

If I'm understanding correctly, ISIS practices a brand of Islam that isn't too fond of "shrines" or "holy sites". So... expect more of this.

you do know that the prophet Muhammad destroyed the shrines when he entered mecca right?

remember that Umar bin Al-Khattab also leveled prophet daniel's grave.

Pretty sure ISIS are just following the hadiths from the prophet (saw).

“Beware of those who preceded you and used to take the graves of their prophets and righteous men as places of worship, but you must not take graves as mosques; I forbid you to do that.” (Sahih Muslim)

“May Allah’s curse be on the Jews for they built the places of worship at the graves of their Prophets.” (Sahih Bukhari)

“May Allah curse the Jews and Christians for they built the places of worship at the graves of their Prophets.” (Sahih Bukhari)

Saudi Media are going crazy over this incident, from Saudi Islamic Scholars are condemning touching any Prophet burial grounds. I think there is a Sunni Mosque next to burial ground that got destroyed. ISIS is really wiping out everything all Sunni, Shia, Christian and ancient Mesopotamia.

you do know that the prophet Muhammad destroyed the shrines when he entered mecca right?

remember that Umar bin Al-Khattab also leveled prophet daniel's grave.

Pretty sure ISIS are just following the hadiths from the prophet (saw).
"Destroy the Tombs of Prophets and Saints" - something Prophet Muhammad never said.

Stop spreading lies about Umar Bin Al Khattab. He came upon an open coffin with a perfectly preserved man in it, thought to be Prophet Daniel, during one of his expeditions. He ordered his men to bury the Coffin and asked his men to lead the funeral prayer. He did not destroy the coffin and it's site like a mad man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom