• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel destroys Palestinian classrooms ahead of first day of school

jacobeid

Banned
God's chosen people.

Oh sorry... G-d's chosen people.

You don't need to make fun of the religion to criticize the politicians. Honestly, this is a pretty offensive post.

This type of action is extremely counterproductive and I don't understand why they keep doing shit like this. Impossible to defend.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
They're actively trying to be the villain now.

Much like racists and neo nazis in the US, they neither try to hide it nor do they care what others think because they believe that they're right.

Israeli society is inherently racist(that's not to say that all Israelis are racist, Israel has lots of awesome people as well), and the nation itself was built on racist principles that have carried over today. That's why I laugh whenever anyone tries to argue that Israel is a western style liberal democracy.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Welp i guess if you need to keep making enemies out of a people so you have an excuse to murder them over and over again for generations this is a pretty good way to go about it.

I fucking hate religion so much. it takes a certain kind of dumb to let age old religious, racist, indoctrinated bullshit convince your conscience it's ok to fucking ruin little kids lives. That government can go ahead and get fucked.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The right wing israeli goverment will never learn unless they are actually challenged. Unfortunately both the democrats and the GOP are so corrupted by the israeli lobby that we allow them to do this in addition to supplementing them with 30+ billion of our tax dollars every year.

I'll always marvel at the fact that a jewish old man who spent time in israel is the only one remotely trying to advocate for the benefit of the Palestinians and israeli people equally

Dai101

Banned
You don't need to make fun of the religion to criticize the politicians. Honestly, this is a pretty offensive post.

This type of action is extremely counterproductive and I don't understand why they keep doing shit like this. Impossible to defend.

No, we should mock them and fuck their religious bullshit. Is one of the reasons they delude they can do this with no consecuences.

jacobeid

Banned
No, we should mock them and fuck their religious bullshit. Is one of the reasons they delude they can do this with no consecuences.

Again, you don't need to attack my religion wholly to prove why actions like these are wrong. Please. Some of these comments, especially when I'm in so much agreement with everyone here on this issue, are very hurtful.

Dopus

Banned

I'm not on board with this. Yes, religion does have an influence in the Knesset, but it's not the motivating factor for what has happened to the Palestinians. Besides, the only reason Israel has been allowed to get away with this is because the United States sanctions it by means of their veto at the United Nations. It refuses to apply any real pressure beyond the occasional denouncement of violence and the need for both sides to compromise and talk. Religion is a convenient excuse, but you're not getting any real picture of what has happened what you look at it through that lens.

Reckheim

Again, you don't need to attack my religion wholly to prove why actions like these are wrong. Please. Some of these comments, especially when I'm in so much agreement with everyone here on this issue, are very hurtful.

What if I told you that most people in here aren't just hating on Judaism, all religions are equally as dumb.

Edit: not to mention most people aren't even hating on Judaism in here ...

Tain

I'm not on board with this. Yes, religion does have an influence in the Knesset, but it's not the motivating factor for what has happened to the Palestinians. Besides, the only reason Israel has been allowed to get away with this is because the United States sanctions it by means of their veto at the United Nations. It refuses to apply any real pressure beyond the occasional denouncement of violence and the need for both sides to compromise and talk. Religion is a convenient excuse, but you're not getting any real picture of what has happened what you look at it through that lens.

Agreed.

As a Jew, this saddens me. I always have wondered why wouldn't the Israeli Government try to reach out a hand of help and meet in the middle.

I don't understand the hate I guess?

FZZ

Banned
anigif_sub-buzz-31024-1496693218-4.gif

Bingo

Low key mad wonder woman was as successful as it was, wish there was a different lead actress

jacobeid

Banned
What if I told you that most people in here aren't just hating on Judaism, all religions are equally as dumb.

Edit: not to mention most people aren't even hating on Judaism in here ...

I am referring to that specific post, not the majority of posts here.

Thank you for this post :)

And you wonder why you don't get very far with people of the opposite opinions, you call them (and me) dumb.

I respect your differences, while I don't have to take them as my beliefs, your thought process is your religion, and your using it to hate people that you find and believe inferior to you. I pray that you accept a path of compassion.

Reckheim

And you wonder why you don't get very far with people of the opposite opinions, you call them (and me) dumb.

I respect your differences, while I don't have to take them as my beliefs, your thought process is your religion, and your using it to hate people that you find and believe inferior to you. I pray that you accept a path of compassion.

I didn't call you dumb, to each their own. Believe whatever makes you happy.

I guess 'dumb' was a wrong terms to use tbh,

I don't believe you were calling me dumb, if you did, I would not take it personally.

The hate from both sides needs to be overcome, but it's going to take the people with the right mentality to do it.

I just want to say one thing to this thread. Please don't let the Israeli government be a hate blanket that covers all of the amazing people that live in the country. I can only imagine other countries are thinking the same way about the USA in regards to Trump but we need to be better than that. Don't think I have seen any examples in this thread yet but just want to put that out there...

Sunster

I just want to say one thing to this thread. Please don't let the Israeli government be a hate blanket that covers all of the amazing people that live in the country. I can only imagine other countries are thinking the same way about the USA in regards to Trump but we need to be better than that. Don't think I have seen any examples in this thread yet but just want to put that out there...

goes without saying

kmax

Denying access of knowledge to children and destroying the very thing that is a defining experience for any child like this is beyond reprehensible. Israel continues to show what a horrible apartheid regime they are.

Disgusting.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Garbage government of garbage people. Not surprising.

Umm...hold on there fella. Should I start calling Americans garbage because Trump is? And people wonder why a lot think that anti-Israel thing is just anti-Semitism disguised?

OT- I generally support Israel, but I really fail to see how this (and the settlements) are necessary or beneficial at all! This is stupid.

Fuchsdh

Hmm what kind of people stop educational facilities?

insider-isis-tmagArticle.jpg

The kind of people for whom destroying them is win-win. If some of these guys or gals get radicalized, hey, it provides more ammo for their siege mentality and justifies taking more draconian measures.

Umm...hold on there fella. Should I start calling Americans garbage because Trump is? And people wonder why a lot think that anti-Israel thing is just anti-Semitism disguised?

OT- I generally support Israel, but I really fail to see how this (and the settlements) are necessary or beneficial at all! This is stupid.

I'm pretty sure he isn't calling all Israelis garbage. Just those in the government.

jacobeid

Banned

Yup. I like to believe that the majority of anti-Israeli sentiment is not rooted in anti-semitism but there are a few posts in this thread that really raise an eyebrow. Just a few, including the one that you highlighted. Honestly it just discourages me from even coming into these threads despite wanting to have a leveled discussion (especially since I often completely agree) with everyone.

I just hate these posts essentially telling me that I should feel bad about myself because of my religion. Sucks. I'm sorry about Bibi and Trump. Really.

I'm pretty sure he isn't calling all Israelis garbage. Just those in the government.

I read it as calling the people who live in Israel garbage people, not just those in the government. I'll gladly take this back if it's not the case. I read like "a government of the people" in American politics, just altered. "A garbage government of garbage people."

Whales

Banned

Pretty sure he's calling the people in the government garbage.

Also mind explaining why you generally support Israel's actions?

I read it as calling the people who live in Israel garbage people, not just those in the government.

Why are you quoting me instead of asking the person who actually said the phrase? Sure you could attempt to draw meaning based on a cursory glance, or you could actually ask the person for clarification. Based on the fact that most people in this thread are shitting on the government of Israel and not Israelis, I drew the conclusion that the poster wasn't doing so either.

But sure, you could just believe whatever you want without seeking clarification and use my post as a crutch for your own interpretation.

ECC

The kind of people for whom destroying them is win-win. If some of these guys or gals get radicalized, hey, it provides more ammo for their siege mentality and justifies taking more draconian measures.

Eh. This is in area C - i.e. an area designated to Israeli control and administration under the Oslo II accords. After that track more or less broke down building permits in area C for Palestinians have largely been designated to part of the larger Israeli / palestinian tit for tat game.

This game is played by both sides - i.e. Palestinians getting prisoner releases for stopping attacks they started, Israelis getting temporary ceasefires etc. permits in area C tends to play a similar role to "resolve" similar situations but of a smaller scale.

It is pretty shitty - but that's how that part of the world works right now. Also, it illustrates that however much we may not like it, it is not like there is no practical idea behind this approach.

jacobeid

Banned
Why are you quoting me instead of asking the person who actually said the phrase? Sure you could attempt to draw meaning based on a cursory glance, or you could actually ask the person for clarification. Based on the fact that most people in this thread are shitting on the government of Israel and not Israelis, I drew the conclusion that the poster wasn't doing so either.

But sure, you could just believe whatever you want without seeking clarification and use my post as a crutch for your own interpretation.

Why are you being so aggressive toward me? I even said I would gladly take it back if I did not interpret it correctly. Again, this is why I don't like coming into these threads.

Newsflash: I agree with y'all but could do without the insults

Dopus

Banned
Yup. I like to believe that the majority of anti-Israeli sentiment is not rooted in anti-semitism but there are a few posts in this thread that really raise an eyebrow. Just a few, including the one that you highlighted. Honestly it just discourages me from even coming into these threads despite wanting to have a leveled discussion (especially since I often completely agree) with everyone.

I just hate these posts essentially telling me that I should feel bad about myself because of my religion. Sucks. I'm sorry about Bibi and Trump. Really.

I read it as calling the people who live in Israel garbage people, not just those in the government.

In general, I think it's probably fair to say that those who do this are generally ignorant of what has happened and don't really have any historical context. The same can be said about those who say in essence the same things about Muslims or at least argue in the same manner about religion. There isn't much difference. Of course, some do know better but will hold to whatever bigoted views they have and use whatever it is to support their stance on a people or a religion. Like I said before, it's convenient. There isn't much nuance, nor is there much logic, yet we see this everywhere. This particular issue is especially tricky because it has been happening for so long and the immediate reaction most have is disgust. There is only a short drop to bigotry and it can be an easy one to fall into without checking your footing.

I don't, however, think that this is a particularly prevailing point of view from those who take a serious interest in it. At least from leftists that is.

Oberon

Banned

Imagine if Trump gets voted into office 3 times in a row. You'd think that most people either support his actions, or don't care enougth to vote him out. The people that oppose the PM don't seem to make much effort showing that they do,

Is that why both parties of America support this? Sometimes the answer is just that they want more power and money.

Why are you being so aggressive toward me? I even said I would gladly take it back if I did not interpret it correctly. Again, this is why I don't like coming into these threads.

Newsflash: I agree with y'all but could do without he insults

A. I'm not insulting you.

B. I wasn't talking to you and was only giving my own interpretation of what they'd posted, and you decided to reply to me by just restating the opposite of what I had said, before your edit.

C. You have yet to even ask the guy for a clarification, instead pulling the victim card and saying I'm "aggressive".

ECC

Should be labeled as a war crime, but we all know those mean nothing these days.

The UN is fucking worthless.

Yep - the UN is largely useless in the Israeli - Palestinian conflict. This is a fact the UN managed to make abundantly clear to Israel prior to the 1967 war where they turned out to be rather useless (Nasser just had to send them a letter to make them go away). Since then Israel has had little evidence that UN would ever be useful from a military/peace keeping POV.

Top Bottom