• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel destroys Palestinian classrooms ahead of first day of school

ECC

Israel is a democracy, the population cannot pretend that they don't share responsibility of the actions of their elected government. They at minimum are financing the bulldozers with their taxes.

Presumably, this principle of yours holds for the American population too? I mean, they then share responsibility for a disturbing amount of wars (official or not).

jacobeid

Banned
Big thanks to whichever person in this thread saw my posts and decided to send me a direct message on PS4. "Fuck you Jewish cunt."

Nice. Way to send that message through a random account on PSN rather than here so you can remain anonymous. I think I'll be taking a break from GAF now, and I made sure to remove all of the gamertags from my profile in the hopes that it doesn't happen again.

guggnichso

Banned
Israel is a democracy, the population cannot pretend that they don't share responsibility of the actions of their elected government. They at minimum are financing the bulldozers with their taxes.

So does everyone else in a democracy. By that logic, visiting GAF alone would be aiding a borderline fascist US administration, aiding the killing of possibly innocent people with the death penalty, legitimizing a state that is responsible for the destabilization of the Middle East, the creation of israel and for installing fascist regimes all over the world, because GAF has Ads, and whoever recieves the profits from those ads most likely pays taxes in the U.S.

It's fucking bullshit. You are not responsible for your government if you voted for something else.

Big thanks to whichever person in this thread saw my posts and decided to send me a direct message on PS4. "Fuck you Jewish cunt."

Nice. Way to send that message through a random account on PSN rather than here so you can remain anonymous. I think I'll be taking a break from GAF now, and I made sure to remove all of the gamertags from my profile in the hopes that it doesn't happen again.

this is really sad to see.
it's crazy that the far leftist people that are outspoken against Nazi's are often the same people that will make antisemitic remarks when discussing Israel.

i hope mods will do their duty and ban those that are bigoted.

jacobeid

Banned
this is really sad to see.
it's crazy that the far leftist people that are outspoken against Nazi's are often the same people that will make antisemitic remarks when discussing Israel.

The best part is that I'm an outspoken critic of the Israeli government and Bibi in particular. Oh well. Just disappointing and really deflating.

It's required to join the military in israel.

To put this in perspective, as to what she was publicly supporting (also wasn't in the IDF anymore):

gaza_war_numbers-1-0-0.png

aeolist

Banned

you might want to PM a screenshot to a mod, they could possibly look up a gaf user by PSN name assuming it's not just a lurker

Yeah, you should probably take a screenshot and PM a mod.

jacobeid

Banned
you might want to PM a screenshot to a mod, they could possibly look up a gaf user by PSN name assuming it's not just a lurker

Quite possibly a lurker, I did not take that into consideration. My sincerest apologies to everyone here if that's the case. This was a level one PSN profile with two bronze trophies so it looked like a dummy account.

aeolist

Banned
Quite possibly a lurker, I did not take that into consideration. My sincerest apologies to everyone here if that's the case. This was a level one PSN profile with two bronze trophies so it looked like a dummy account.

i don't really think you have anything to apologize for, that's inexcusable whether they're a member here or not

people who attack jews for being jews do just as much or more damage to this conversation as right-wingers who say any criticism of israel is anti-semitic

Breads

Banned

Gaf has dedicated hate communities who gamertag/ social media/ comment section spam. They are usually banned/ex/voat/neofag members.

Or junior members who made 30 posts in 6 years.

ECC

To put this in perspective, as to what she was publicly supporting (also wasn't in the IDF anymore):

gaza_war_numbers-1-0-0.png

So - can you explain to me exactly why that figure is problematic? The figure just illustrates that the warfare is asymmetric. If your point has anything to do with civilians that illustration is rather useless. If your point is just that the warfare is asymmetric then big whoop? That warfare in some cases is asymmetric doesn't really inform morality one way or the other?

Dopus

Banned

There's really no need to apologise to anyone.

So - can you explain to me exactly why that figure is problematic? The figure just illustrates that the warfare is asymmetric. If your point has anything to do with civilians that illustration is rather useless. If your point is just that the warfare is asymmetric then big whoop? That warfare in some cases is asymmetric doesn't really inform morality one way or the other?

Maybe, just maybe, the actual power dynamics at play are more relevant here than how "good" or "bad" each side is on a one-dimensional moral axis?

Presumably, this principle of yours holds for the American population too? I mean, they then share responsibility for a disturbing amount of wars (official or not).
Yes, it holds. Though is better to keep things in the present is always ridiculous when Americans talk about that time the fought the nazis and forget all the times they helped fascists.

I am Spanish, when our government gave support to the Iraq war 1+ million participated in demonstrations against the war (me included), 80%+ of the population was against it and the party that supported it lost the next election. If my government did the same things as Israel I would chose exile like a lot had to when we where under a dictatorship.

PD: To clarify I do not support any crime or violence against the Israelites I just said "a share of responsibility" and the share obviously can be quite small in case of activists against the occupation.

Um, a big chunk of those casualties were in fact civilians and children.

UN numbers point to 1,462 civilians, of whom 495 were children and 253 women, from the 2k total.

The number of Israeli civilians who died during the conflict is six.

Dopus

Banned

Dahiya doctrine.

Read the Goldstone Report.

Read the UN OCHA report from 2014 or Amnesty's case for war crimes.

Madness

is it required that you post #loveidf on facebook after you've been discharged, during a campaign in which the idf killed 1600 civilians and wounded 10,000 more?

I am sending my love and prayers to my fellow Israeli citizens”. “Especially to all the boys and girls who are risking their lives protecting my country against the horrific acts conducted by Hamas, who are hiding like cowards behind women and children...We shall overcome!!! Shabbat Shalom! #weareright #freegazafromhamas #stopterror #coexistance #loveidf”

I mean how many civilians were displaced and killed in the Vietnam war? Would you be as upset if a US celebrity that was in the Marines wrote 'Hoo-rah, #loveUSMC" if they were posting about some new offensive taking place in Iraq or Afghanistan.

You're making it seem like it is crazy an Israeli citizen who was conscripted and required to serve in the Israeli Defense Forces and tweeted in support of her fellow soldiers and countrymen and women did something so unfathomable.

I remember a few years back, someone here equated muslims joining ISIS with American jews going to Israel and serving in the IDF.

I am not diminishing any crimes the IDF may or may not have committed. But the hate she has been getting is just crazy.

aeolist

Banned
I mean how many civilians were displaced and killed in the Vietnam war? Would you be as upset if a US celebrity that was in the Marines wrote 'Hoo-rah, #loveUSMC" if they were posting about some new offensive taking place in Iraq or Afghanistan.
absolutely yes

You're making it seem like it is crazy an Israeli citizen who was conscripted and required to serve in the Israeli Defense Forces and tweeted in support of her fellow soldiers and countrymen and women did something so unfathomable.
she made a post openly supporting an imperialist military action that was at that time butchering civilians. i remember the world generally being shocked at how brutal the 2014 offensive was, even by israeli standards.

I remember a few years back, someone here equated muslims joining ISIS with American jews going to Israel and serving in the IDF.

I am not diminishing any crimes the IDF may or may not have committed. But the hate she has been getting is just crazy.
This is as if a South African celebrity who had served in the Military Police tweeted #loveMilitaryPolice after an atack on an ethnic homeland.

The American military not nearly in the same league of evil and its official position is not that its enemies are mindless animals or an "ethnic threat"

Who the fuck comes into a thread about the Israeli government demolishing internationally funded schools for kids with some bullshit tone policing about how you can and cant criticise the state of Israel?
What utter bullshit. And why is a discussion about anti-semitism being dragged into a thread about an overtly racist action toward Palestinians. ?!
You aint slick.

Dopus

Banned

We know for a fact Israel has committed war crimes.

We know for a fact that Israel has apartheid policies.

We know for a fact that they don't have any intention of finding a solution.

We know that the situation for Palestinians has been progressively getting worse.

If you still support them and write the drivel she did, then I'm sorry, but she should absolutely be criticised. It's not just "support of her fellow soldiers and countrymen and women", it's actually heinous when you look at in context.

rackham

Banned
Anyways you put it, Wonder Woman loves keeping (Palestinian) children in poverty and uneducated.]

If I could use photoshop I would start a campaign of her as WW doing and loving the cruelty committed to various Palestinian children.

Anyone who thinks it's wrong, ask yourselves how those children will grow up, if they do at all? They will grow up hating Jews across the world and I can't even blame them. Children don't need to be punished for something they have no control over.

jacobeid

Banned
Who the fuck comes into a thread about the Israeli government demolishing internationally funded schools for kids with some bullshit tone policing about how you can and cant criticise the state of Israel?
What utter bullshit. And why is a discussion about anti-semitism being dragged into a thread about an overtly racist action toward Palestinians. ?!
You aint slick.

When people dragged anti-semitic rhetoric into a thread about a
reprehensible
political action?

Cocaloch

It doesn't inform morality in one way or another if you haven't been keeping up with intellectual trends for the last 40 years of so. Power relations clearly are legitimate enough to warrant discussion even if you personally subscribe to an "objective" enlightenment style morality.

Isreal clearly has more power to stop the conflict, but the historically more relevant side of that fact is the flip side. They've traditionally had more power with which they've generally, though not always, sought to continue the conflict. This is the philosophy of the Iron Wall.

bionic77

When people dragged anti-semitic rhetoric into a thread about a
reprehensible
political action?
You should be able to criticize Israel but no one should tolerate any kind of criticism of an entire people. This is solved by being careful with your words.

Also that PSN message to you is bullshit. I hope that person gets banned from GAF if they can be tracked down.

Cocaloch

You should be able to criticize Israel but no one should tolerate any kind of criticism of an entire people. This is solved by being careful with your words.

Also that PSN message to you is bullshit. I hope that person gets banned from GAF if they can be tracked down.

I agree that no entire group of people should be criticized, but I also disagree with the idea that critiquing the Israeli people is the same thing as critiquing Jews everywhere. We need to make sure we are very clear in differentiating the two groups.

I don't like blaming all Israelis for the actions of the state of Israel, in the same way that I don't like blaming all American for the actions of the American state. I do think elements of the culture of both countries support the actions of the state, but that isn't anyone's fault in particular.

That being said part of the problem is the Israeli state's interest in trying to conflate Israel and Jewish people everywhere.

It doesn't inform morality in one way or another if you haven't been keeping up with intellectual trends for the last 40 years of so. Power relations clearly are legitimate enough to warrant discussion even if you personally subscribe to an "objective" enlightenment style morality.

Isreal clearly has more power to stop the conflict, but the historically more relevant side of that fact is the flip side. They've traditionally had more power with which they've generally, though not always, sought to continue the conflict. This is the philosophy of the Iron Wall.

If you start from the position that both sides share responsibility and work backwards, you pretty much have to ignore that Israel has vastly more power to kill and/or immiserate Palestinians (and conversely to stop doing so) than the reverse, and that it has not been shy about using that power, even though these should be blindingly obvious facts that have nothing to do with which side is "good" or "bad" in a simplistic moral binary.

SKINNER!

Banned
Israel demolishing EU donated property and wasting their tax money but hey it's ok! It doesn't matter. EU have no problem selling Israel nuke submarines anyway as if they don't get enough military funding and weapons from the United States.

Jumeira

Banned
Going after educational institutes setup by charities on Palistinian land just because organisers didn't get permission of its neighbour to build schools on thier own land? What kind of sick twisted rule is that?

ECC

Maybe, just maybe, the actual power dynamics at play are more relevant here than how "good" or "bad" each side is on a one-dimensional moral axis?

I agree that power dynamics are important. However, if that is the discussion we were supposed to be having based on the illustration, I find it incredibly flawed as the conflict in question has a whole range of other relevant parties that are definitely not covered in that illustration.

I suspect that the original poster of that illustration was going for a different discussion, as illustrated in the subsequent post:

Um, a big chunk of those casualties were in fact civilians and children.

UN numbers point to 1,462 civilians, of whom 495 were children and 253 women, from the 2k total.

The number of Israeli civilians who died during the conflict is six.

There is a discussion to be had on the accuracy of UN numbers, but that is rather off-topic. The civilian to militant death ratio is roughly 2:1 using UN numbers. For a civilian, this may be uncomfortable numbers, but in the history of modern warfare (post-WW II) this is consistent with numbers for other wars. Considering that the Israeli - Palestinian conflict in 2014 took place in an urban environment it is somewhat surprising that the ratio is not worse.

Dahiya doctrine.

Read the Goldstone Report.

Read the UN OCHA report from 2014 or Amnesty's case for war crimes.

I am well aware of these. There is even a decent chance that I have spent a lot more time on these than you have. As illustrated above these reports may be worth their own individual discussion, but that wasn't what the original poster was trying to make come across.

bionic77

I agree that no entire group of people should be criticized, but I also disagree with the idea that critiquing the Israeli people is the same thing as critiquing Jews everywhere. We need to make sure we are very clear in differentiating the two groups.

I don't like blaming all Israelis for the actions of the state of Israel, in the same way that I don't like blaming all American for the actions of the American state. I do think elements of the culture of both countries support the actions of the state, but that isn't anyone's fault in particular.

That being said part of the problem is the Israel state's interest in trying to conflate Israel and Jewish people everywhere.
It's a slippery slope.

Best to limit the criticism to the government and the state actors involved IMO.

Dude Abides

Banned
Or: why I won't watch Wonder Woman.

I think watching Wonder Woman is a good exercise in solidarity with the Palestinians. Afterward you'll know how it feels to be tortured by an Israeli for three hours.

Shamelessly stolen from some podcast I can't remember.

To hell with that country, it's trash administration and all the trash people who support them

Enjoyed wonder woman and her portrayal especially quite a bit. But I'm not gonna lie there was a small amount of cognitive dissonance in there when I saw her preaching love and peace and defending everyone when you know the actress wouldn't even bat an eye at thousands of Palestinian children deaths.

It's a bit like seeing Mel Gibson opposite Danny Glover now. I fuck with his movies still but there's a small nagging feeling in the back of your head as reality pushes through.

Dopus

Banned
I think watching Wonder Woman is a good exercise in solidarity with the Palestinians. Afterward you'll know how it feels to be tortured by an Israeli for three hours.

Shamelessly stolen from some podcast I can't remember.

Chapo Trap House :)

Top Bottom