• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Issue with management (Advice Needed)

Hi fellow Gaffers,

Just wanted to get your input on a work issue I've been facing for a while now.

We are meant to be in the office 3 days a week. Sometimes for whatever reason some people can't make it into the office. I don't know their circumstances but they may have legitimate reasons for not being there on a specific day.

Our team agreed to be in the office 3 days a week and if you miss an office day you're meant to make up for it. However this is not followed by everyone. If someone misses an office day then they don't make up for it by coming in any other day.

I was asked by my boss to come in to the office tomorrow since I'm unable to come into work today (due to car repairs).

Do i confront my boss about this as it seems to me others can just stay away when they choose and I'm getting asked to provide medical certificates when I'm sick on an office day. Was also threatened with a warning if i don't show up in the office regularly.

Kinda feel pissed off and like I'm being targetted so a bit difficult to focus on work at the moment.

Last edited:
Well if you are, you won't win by arguing with them.

You win by finding someplace better to work.
Yeah I am contemplating looking for something else at the moment. I can't deal with policy that is enforced to some people and not everyone in the team. It's pissing me off.

Mistake

If you make yourself out to be indispensable, everyone else will start to seem worse in comparison. I can safely say this is why I've gotten away with a lot of shit. Do these other team members have seniority or something? Also, don't go complain because it will rarely work out for you, but make sure to bring it up when things are late or don't go right because of their absence. Do it in a professional way. Don't talk bad behind peoples backs either, because that circles around and won't keep your head in a right place.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don’t get it. Today is a Monday. You didn’t go in the office today. Fine. But that means you have to come in 3 days out of the next 4. So why are you complaining, exactly?

If other people don’t want to adhere to the policy that’s on them as well as any consequences they may receive. Companies have said they will start lowering bonuses or even terminating people who don’t adhere. Not abiding by in office policy can easily be a grounds for termination.

I don’t get it. Today is a Monday. You didn’t go in the office today. Fine. But that means you have to come in 3 days out of the next 4. So why are you complaining, exactly?

If other people don’t want to adhere to the policy that’s on them as well as any consequences they may receive. Companies have said they will start lowering bonuses or even terminating people who don’t adhere. Not abiding by in office policy can easily be a grounds for termination.

Issue is the policy is not enforced to everyone to be onsite. Its the inconsistency of it all. I know for a fact some have not been doing that. Last week we were only 3 people in the office out of 10 (i was one of the 3) so we had to cancel team engagement because only 3 people lol.

EDIT: Maybe i just needed to vent a bit and I can do this safely here so like i say before i appreciate the replies.

Can consider this thread closed

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Issue is the policy is not enforced to everyone to be onsite. Its the inconsistency of it all. I know for a fact some have not been doing that. Last week we were only 3 people in the office out of 10 (i was one of the 3) so we had to cancel team engagement because only 3 people lol.

EDIT: Maybe i just needed to vent a bit and I can do this safely here so like i say before i appreciate the replies.

Can consider this thread closed
I get it, and not enforcing the policy equally is bad management, and leads to decreased morale as you are experiencing. But... You can only be responsible for yourself.

DeaDPo0L84

You could look at it as if they realize you are dependable which can in turn feel like they are treating you unfairly. I get that a bit at my job but they've also made it clear it's cause they know I can handle the workload and they appreciate it. If you feel it's a place you have a future at I'd go in with a smile on your face and continue to be the better employee.

MachRc

Same chet happen at my place of work as well. I just chalk it up to my team being here over 30 years and being lazy. We should feel lucky that we can wfh twice a week...
I get tuesday and thursday but I still come in on Tuesdays because I get cabin fever....

One of my team memebrs just recently lost his tuesdays because laziness
nnNQ3vH.jpg

Last edited:
You could look at it as if they realize you are dependable which can in turn feel like they are treating you unfairly. I get that a bit at my job but they've also made it clear it's cause they know I can handle the workload and they appreciate it. If you feel it's a place you have a future at I'd go in with a smile on your face and continue to be the better employee.

Appreciate it. I will take this onboard. Thank you for the reply

Same chet happen at my place of work as well. I just chalk it up to my team being here over 30 years and being lazy. We should feel lucky that we can wfh twice a week...
I get tuesday and thursday but I still come in on Tuesdays because I get cabin fever....

nnNQ3vH.jpg

I do feel lucky and its a good arrangement for those with families. The flexable work days is good. In our office we get ultra wide monitors to work off so that's good. At home i'm stuck with standard single monitor so equipment wise its nice to be in the office at times. I say at times because the commute there can be a bit of a drain at over 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Ownage

You should go into the office whether your car is busted or not. I empathize as it's frustrating not to have a set of wheels available, but there are other ways to get to work, such as Uber, taxi or public transit.

I'd also tell your boss of your hardship and see what they say. If they're good bosses you will be able to work something out. If they become uppidy, then you know where you stand with your boss and with the company.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I would say check with HR if those rules are official.

My team also has a 2 day/week at the office rule however managers are very lenient.
Company wide there's no official rule it's just strongly implied.

At first I showed up 2 days a week but slowly slacked off as I noticed there was fewer and fewer of us every passing week.

The last 2 weeks I've been staying home and it's all good.

bender

What time is it?
God created the world
Then created the devil to blame for his mistakes
I closed the door of my hotel room behind me
It was like closing a chapter in the book of life
Outside, thirty floors below
I could hear the police using their sirens
Like wolve whistles to pick up young girls
On TV Oliver North his 15 minutes of fame
Ticking steadily away was being fuzzy about crucial events
Which had happened a year earlier- what a flake
But then who isn't
That was Reagan’s defense at least
The worst thing is how politics begins to leak into your life
Back in our innocence we used to simply stick two fingers up
Say "fuck the Queen" that was about all you had to say anyway
And then go back to the more important business of making music
So why was I sitting there feeling angry about covert operations
And illegal aid to the contras
I mean I'm not even American
But maybe we all are a little bit
And then I realized, it was just the thought
That in this particular democracy
And probably every other one in the world
There is somebody in power who thinks he is more right
Then all the people who put him there
All the people who for once in their lives took an interest
Outside the wind was howling the who-who's
From sympathy for the devil
Round and round the concrete hotel walls and corners
That was then- this isn’t

Last edited:
I am lucky I am the only one (other than my direct manager) in my team that can wfh unless there are on-site needs that I need to address, which I am usually happy to go to the office or drive to satellite offices for. I get a break because my boss poached me from another team and this was my condition for moving, I get the wfh unless there's a need for me to be there. So I usually average 2 days a week in the office where I bust my ass for 8 hours since I try to do everything I need to be in the office for those 2 days. But if I were OP, I would stay on the good side and just take it siltently until the spotlight is off (or you find another job). Yeah it's unfair they're playing favorites but complaining will usually put even MORE heat on you. When you're in their good graces, then you can raise some hell.

God created the world
Then created the devil to blame for his mistakes
I closed the door of my hotel room behind me
It was like closing a chapter in the book of life
Outside, thirty floors below
I could hear the police using their sirens
Like wolve whistles to pick up young girls
On TV Oliver North his 15 minutes of fame
Ticking steadily away was being fuzzy about crucial events
Which had happened a year earlier- what a flake
But then who isn't
That was Reagan’s defense at least
The worst thing is how politics begins to leak into your life
Back in our innocence we used to simply stick two fingers up
Say "fuck the Queen" that was about all you had to say anyway
And then go back to the more important business of making music
So why was I sitting there feeling angry about covert operations
And illegal aid to the contras
I mean I'm not even American
But maybe we all are a little bit
And then I realized, it was just the thought
That in this particular democracy
And probably every other one in the world
There is somebody in power who thinks he is more right
Then all the people who put him there
All the people who for once in their lives took an interest
Outside the wind was howling the who-who's
From sympathy for the devil
Round and round the concrete hotel walls and corners
That was then- this isn’t

I don't know what this is, but i appreciate it nonetheless. I lol'ed. You get a +1 for the laughs haha. Thanks bro

Gp1

Kinda feel pissed off and like I'm being targetted so a bit difficult to focus on work at the moment.

Is your boss really targeting you or you simply don't know your teammates perks?
Is your team big enough so you can really file a complain anonymously?

I mean... your HR really has the power to enforce this without you exposing yourself to your boss even more?

If it's really bothering you, ask (nicely) your boss what's going on. After, if you fell that you are being targeted, go find something else.

And remember that HR works for the business not for you. If your boss is delivering and you are the only one complaining... think about.

bitbydeath

I would investigate the need for a medical certificate for being off one day with HR, that part doesn’t sound right to me.

The rest probably isn’t worth the fight, as chances of running into that situation again is slim.

DrDamn

Do you know those people are not also making up the time on other days you are not in? Do you know they are not getting called up on it by management?

I think you need to follow policy as best you can and ensure that management don't have anything to come back to you on should the consequences become more severe if strictly applied. What other people do and potentially get away with is separate to what you should do if you want to keep the job. Particularly if you don't know the full facts of what other people are doing and why.

Thaedolus

Yeah, one piece of advice I give to everyone is don’t worry about what other people are or aren’t doing, focus on your own work and circumstances, unless it’s actually affecting you. I had a coworker that always complained about others leaving early or getting in late and how much work she had…but the work was siloed in such a way that it didn’t actually matter or affect her workload. She eventually left for like $10k more and hated the new company even more, and after a year she was back. I’ve also had people complain to me about people in other sections and their work ethic and I’m like ok, is it affecting us? Because if it’s not, I don’t really want to hear about it. If it is, then it’s something I’ll take to their manager. But the takeaway is mind your business, because you really don’t know everything that’s going on with someone else

AJUMP23

At work it is best to worry about what you are doing and if you are being effective as a leader or producer, and not worry about anyone else.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It boils down to liking where you work. If you hate going to work then find another job. If you enjoy it then just do what’s required. If you feel like you’re being constantly thrown under a bus then search for a job with better work culture.

Back in the day I worked at a bunch of call centers. I sold steaks, magazines, and surveys. Management didn’t respect us and we were all replaceable. You have to work hard and long enough to become someone in a company or move on to another opportunity.

AJUMP23

It really isn't an issue with management. You just see a double standard that some people get away with bending or ignoring rules and you do not get away with it.

Do you know those people are not also making up the time on other days you are not in? Do you know they are not getting called up on it by management?

I think you need to follow policy as best you can and ensure that management don't have anything to come back to you on should the consequences become more severe if strictly applied. What other people do and potentially get away with is separate to what you should do if you want to keep the job. Particularly if you don't know the full facts of what other people are doing and why.

No they don't follow policy as i'm expected to but just ignoring that and doing what is requested of me is the best advice that I can take from this thread. For that reason I am in the office today to adhere to the 3 days onsite policy. I can clearly say that yesterday I may not have been thinking clearly.

I’d say just do it and make yourself look better, for at least the time being, and as Northeastmonk said see if you want to still work there or somewhere else.

If anything just avoid burning bridges…and possible references.

And if you do decide to change jobs; try to plan it.

And yeah I’ve seen some workplaces over the years with weird leniency towards some but not others, like one guy shows up 5 minutes late for 3 days in a row gets fired and the older guy shows up drunk and late and get’s a free pass. So I understand the frustration.

Last edited:
I’d say just do it and make yourself look better, for at least the time being, and as Northeastmonk said see if you want to still work there or somewhere else.

If anything just avoid burning bridges…and possible references.

And if you do decide to change jobs; try to plan it.

And yeah I’ve seen some workplaces over the years with weird leniency towards some but not others, like one guy shows up 5 minutes late for 3 days in a row gets fired and the older guy shows up drunk and late and get’s a free pass. So I understand the frustration.

Yes this is my mindset as well. Appreciate the advice :)

You only have to work 3 days a week?
Lucky bastard!

Yeah only 3 days. Its a good arrangement for those people in my team who have kids.

How long have you worked at this place, no pressure if you don't want to say.

No that is quite Ok. I just reached 5 years. I won't be staying a 6th year. I should be outta here by end of this year.

Last edited:

TexMex

By the time you are done with your stint in corporate world, you will be exhausted if you concern yourself with what others are and are not getting away with. Worry about yourself, and if you're able to do what is asked of you, you should. Not wanting to come in out of spite won't get you anywhere. Life isn't fair, do the right thing, move on.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Honestly stop concerning yourselves with other people.

In the end if this isn’t being applied “fairly” they like those other people more than you. But there’s a chance you just don’t have all of the info.

Hi fellow Gaffers,

Just wanted to get your input on a work issue I've been facing for a while now.

We are meant to be in the office 3 days a week. Sometimes for whatever reason some people can't make it into the office. I don't know their circumstances but they may have legitimate reasons for not being there on a specific day.

Our team agreed to be in the office 3 days a week and if you miss an office day you're meant to make up for it. However this is not followed by everyone. If someone misses an office day then they don't make up for it by coming in any other day.

I was asked by my boss to come in to the office tomorrow since I'm unable to come into work today (due to car repairs).

Do i confront my boss about this as it seems to me others can just stay away when they choose and I'm getting asked to provide medical certificates when I'm sick on an office day. Was also threatened with a warning if i don't show up in the office regularly.

People not showing up regularly will just make them stop the wfh option so if people are abusing the situation there probably playing into managements plan. Imo

Soodanim

nnNQ3vH.jpg
That one cell is fucking me right off.

Tams

Never complain with your name attached. Very, very few managers take it well.

Unfortunately, others' delinquency is no excuse for your own (potential in this case).

There are others, including my manager, who take the piss at times in terms of work while I'm busting my arse off. What I do is do what I want when there's no one looking over my shoulder, like have a two hour lunch break, stop for coffee, do things in the order I like, go home early (when I'm working alone). So long as my work gets done.

If they won't take the work seriously, I'll do my own thing, just subtly and in small ways.

I only raise hell when someone else's laziness means that my work doesn't get done.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Every boss works different regardless of rules. And subordinates do the same. It's one of those things in office life you just got to adapt to and dont put too much thought into it. Unless someone is the unluckiest person in the world, chances are the bosses you've had in life are a mix of chill lax ones, and also ballbusters. So you kind of just accept it as a mix of both. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Some bosses are lax, like the boss who doesn't care what you do as long as the job is done. Heck, he or she might not be around all the time either (the Disappearing Boss). Some are hardcore, like the Perception Boss who always wants their workers front and centre in big meetings trying to make it look like their workers are the biggest keeners on the floor.

For workers, you got ones who always have an excuse to hardly show up and they leave early all the time. Somehow their life is always in crisis mode and every day is a rush to leave early. Then you got ones that come in early and leave on time putting in more hours then they are expected.

Top Bottom