• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s time to bust the myth: Most Trump voters were not working class. (WaPo)

kirblar

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-940am:homepage/story&utm_term=.7a610265f2ce

Great data roundup in the Post today spelling out something that many of us knew about but which has refused to permeate within the collective consciousness of the media. The "WHITE WORKING CLASS REVOLT" has been the narrative every time we get a right-wing populist electoral uprising, but it doesn't hold up under scrutiny, because Trump and the GOP's numbers go up as you climb the income ladder until you get close to the top of it. (which is where you're much more likely to find suburban and urban voters making up a larger proportion.)

Media coverage of the 2016 election often emphasized Donald Trump’s appeal to the working class. The Atlantic said that “the billionaire developer is building a blue-collar foundation.” The Associated Press wondered what “Trump’s success in attracting white, working-class voters” would mean for his general election strategy. On Nov. 9, the New York Times front-page article about Trump’s victory characterized it as “a decisive demonstration of power by a largely overlooked coalition of mostly blue-collar white and working-class voters.”

There’s just one problem: this account is wrong. Trump voters were not mostly working-class people.

During the primaries, Trump supporters were mostly affluent people.

The misrepresentation of Trump’s working-class support began in the primaries. In a widely read March 2016 piece, the writer Thomas Frank, for instance, argued at length that “working-class white people … make up the bulk of Trump’s fan base.” Many journalists found colorful examples of working-class Trump supporters at early campaign rallies. But were those anecdotes an accurate representation of the emerging Trump coalition?

There were good reasons to be skeptical. For one, most 2016 polls didn’t include information about how the people surveyed earned a living, that is, their occupations — the preferred measure of social class among scholars. When journalists wrote that Trump was appealing to working-class voters, they didn’t really know whether Trump voters were construction workers or CEOs.

Moreover, according to what is arguably the next-best measure of class, household income, Trump supporters didn’t look overwhelmingly “working class” during the primaries. To the contrary, many polls showed that Trump supporters were mostly affluent Republicans. For example, a March 2016 NBC survey that we analyzed showed that only a third of Trump supporters had household incomes at or below the national median of about $50,000. Another third made $50,000 to $100,000, and another third made $100,000 or more and that was true even when we limited the analysis to only non-Hispanic whites. If being working class means being in the bottom half of the income distribution, the vast majority of Trump supporters during the primaries were not working class.

But what about education? Many pundits noticed early on that Trump’s supporters were mostly people without college degrees. There were two problems with this line of reasoning, however. First, not having a college degree isn’t a guarantee that someone belongs in the working class (think Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg). And, second, although more than 70 percent of Trump supporters didn’t have college degrees, when we looked at the NBC polling data, we noticed something the pundits left out: during the primaries, about 70 percent of all Republicans didn’t have college degrees, close to the national average (71 percent according to the 2013 Census). Far from being a magnet for the less educated, Trump seemed to have about as many people without college degrees in his camp as we would expect any successful Republican candidate to have.

Trump voters weren’t majority working class in the general election, either.

What about the general election? A few weeks ago, the American National Election Study — the longest-running election survey in the United States — released its 2016 survey data. And it showed that in November 2016, the Trump coalition looked a lot like it did during the primaries.

Among people who said they voted for Trump in the general election, 35 percent had household incomes under $50,000 per year (the figure was also 35 percent among non-Hispanic whites), almost exactly the percentage in NBC’s March 2016 survey. Trump’s voters weren’t overwhelmingly poor. In the general election, like the primary, about two thirds of Trump supporters came from the better-off half of the economy.

But, again, what about education? Many analysts have argued that the partisan divide between more and less educated people is bigger than ever. During the general election, 69 percent of Trump voters in the election study didn’t have college degrees. Isn’t that evidence that the working class made up most of Trump’s base?

The truth is more complicated: many of the voters without college educations who supported Trump were relatively affluent. The graph below breaks down white non-Hispanic voters by income and education. Among people making under the median household income of $50,000, there was a 15 to 20 percentage-point difference in Trump support between those with a college degree and those without. But the same gap was present — and actually larger — among Americans making more than $50,000 and $100,000 annually.
imrs.php

Occam

They should have tested IQs. I think there may be a surprising correlation between lack thereof and voting for Trump.

KingV

I think the thing overlooked here may be switchers and/or new voters.

While most Trump voters may be as affluent as traditional Republican voters (many of white may have been holding their nose in the voting booth) what won him the elections were the working class hicks from east bumblefuck that turned 60/40 Romney/Obama districts into 87/13 Trump/Clinton districts.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It would help if they would define "Working Class".

Metal work or say something like Plumbing can make you a lot of money.

kirblar

I think the thing overlooked here may be switchers and/or new voters.

While most Trump voters may be as affluent as traditional Republican voters (many of white may have been holding their nose in the voting booth) what won him the elections were the working class hicks from east bumblefuck that turned 60/40 Romney/Obama districts into 87/13 Trump/Clinton districts.
The trick is that many of those voters are relatively affluent for the counties they live in. $50K is barely above barely scraping by in the DC area, but it goes a long long way in a rural area.

I hate these analyses because they take household income to be the sole measure of financial precarity.

Look at runaway health care costs. Look at runaway college costs. Look at indebtedness and consumer credit levels. Look at income rises and spending power. Nonelite Americans have been in a slowly closing vice for decades. You can make above the median income this country and still be wiped out by an unexpected expense, because the entire respectable edifice of American life is crumbling. When middle-class white people say that life isn't as good as it used to be, that America isn't as great as it was, they're not wrong in several crucial respects. That they are relatively privileged doesn't mean their argument doesn't have merit.

No, most Trump voters aren't the poorest of the poor, but this isn't the "gotcha!" people think it is. It's an indictment of how troubled the "middle class" in America is.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm going to pull a guess out from my ass and say that most of Trump's blue collar support came from small business owners, well placed tradespeople and senior factory workers.

Those groups usually rank up pretty damn high in the socially conservative scale, particularly if removed from cosmopolitan areas. I've seen auto workers who owe everything to unions parrot conservative talking points more convincingly and with more passion than any professional pundit.

kirblar

I hate these analyses because they take household income to be the sole measure of financial precarity.

Look at runaway healthcare costs. Look at runaway college costs. Look at indebtedness and consumer credit levels. Look at income rises and spending power. Nonelite Americans have been in a slowly closing vice for decades.

No, most Trump voters aren't the poorest of the poor, but this isn't the "gotcha!" people think it is. It's an indictment of how troubled the "middle class" in America is.
I mean, look at the data. The biggest takeaway you can make? These votes aren't varying all that much even when taking income into account!

I thought it was generally understood that while Clinton won the working-class generally (as Democrats typically do) the massive difference in proportion was enough to swing a few states and make others close or entirely uncompetitive.

Or maybe that isn't understood, idk

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I was under the impression the 'white working class' thing was an explanation for his success in the rust belt and not intended to be a characterization of his voter base cross-country.

kirblar

Just tossing this in here cause it also helps showcase some things that get missed- there's a big difference between how white/Asian voters breakdown when it comes to personal wealth relative to every other ethnic group:

I mean, look at the data. The biggest takeaway you can make? These votes aren't varying all that much even when taking income into account!
My exact point is that this is bad data to use when looking at the deteriorating fortunes of most Americans. Not most "working class" Americans. Most of all Americans.

I don't think people grasp how creaky and dangerously overleveraged Americans are compared to citizens of other advanced democracies.

CazTGG

Obviously his way with words and shear animal magnetism.

I mean, he does has the best words. Who else would come up with such elegant phrases like covfefe, a word that sounds like the name an eccentric billionaire would name their toy poodle.

Lunar15

I never thought the narrative was that "working class voters were the majority of trump voters". The narrative was, (and arguably still is), that the working class vote was what jumped from Obama to Trump and pushed Trump over the edge in key electoral votes.

That wealthy, white GOP base has existed for quite some time, and they weren't the ones who voted Obama anyway. It was the ones who switched that had the impact in the election.

If it wasn't economic anxiety that drew them towards Trump, then what was it?

I guess we'll never know...
To be fair, while I don't buy the "economic anxiety" narrative that much, economic anxiety is exactly this: upper middle class people fearing they'll fall off the train and become poor(er).
100% from my ass, but I'm going to assume these people are geographically tied and the lack of education reduces their mobility.

A complementary reading is of course that while they're on the train, they make sure no one else (the poor and minorities) gets on the train, because they've been groomed for decades to learn that they deserve this more than anyone else, and that others getting aboard will be at their own expense. i.e. "Fuck you got mine".

Going by the conversation after the election. Only white people work
Yeah, I don't know if it's the overabundance of pleas to sympathize with the winners, but "white rust bell working class voters" eventually became "working class", completely ignoring everyone else.

kirblar

I never thought the narrative was that "working class voters were the majority of trump voters". The narrative was, (and arguably still is), that the working class vote was what jumped from Obama to Trump and pushed Trump over the edge in key electoral votes.
Rural voters did. But Rural voters are not necessarily "working class."

No, that's not the narrative at all. That's the reality, or the closest thing to the reality. But if you think that's the narrative that has formed post-election, you really haven't been paying attention.

Meowster

I work with poor (working and not working) people every day and they cannot stand Trump. They know that he just wants to gut their protections and wouldn't care whatever happens to them. It has been really sad seeing them get so much blame when they largely still voted for Hillary. I think more of them might have voted for Trump than in the past but still..

To be fair, while I don't buy the "economic anxiety" narrative that much, economic anxiety is exactly this: upper middle class people fearing they'll fall off the train and become poor(er).
100% from my ass, but I'm going to assume these people are geographically tied and the lack of education reduces their mobility.

A complementary reading is of course that while they're on the train, they make sure no one else (the poor and minorities) gets on the train, because they've been groomed for decades to learn that they deserve this more than anyone else, and that others getting aboard will be at their own expense. i.e. "Fuck you got mine".

I think you just described racism, my man.

Chumly

That wealthy, white GOP base has existed for quite some time, and they weren't the ones who voted Obama anyway. It was the ones who switched that had the impact in the election.
This. What a terrible fucking article.

Everyone has been talking about the changes of the vote makeup from 2012. I mean no fucking shit that people making over 100k made up a lot of trump votes? Nobody ever denied that

Raven117

This was my thought too. Its not like the usual Republicans didn't vote Republican...most did.

And the ones that switched in the rust belt are the demographics worth looking at.

Raven117

No, that's not the narrative at all. That's the reality, or the closest thing to the reality. But if you think that's the narrative that has formed post-election, you really haven't been paying attention.

I don't know man...I pay attention...and while there was stumbling articles that werent' specific enough...it did seem that most focused on the rust belt switching....that was indeed what happened.

I was under the impression the 'white working class' thing was an explanation for his success in the rust belt and not intended to be a characterization of his voter base cross-country.

Those rich people would have voted for Republicans no matter what though.

I'd say that ties in pretty well to a new Vox article about how "the mystery of the 2016 election was its normalcy." Affluent white Americans voted for the person who was most likely to get them a tax cut and reduce the safety net for the "undeserving" - the person with the R next to their name.
Yes to all three of these!

Trump was elected by fine margins in a few states. In general, people voted in ways they were expected to, and nothing was starkly out of the ordinary; it just happens that fine margins in a few states can have dramatic effect upon the electoral college tally.

But the point of these "mythbusting" pieces is always to puncture the media narrative about the poor white people out there who were forced to vote for Trump. Which, I get it, I hate that narrative too! I'm not advocating sympathy for Trump voters or dismissing their bald and blatant racism.

What I am advocating is that people look past household income to the aggressive, generalized decline in American fortunes that has been taking place for forty years. When older white people say they used to have it better, things used to be easier, America used to be greater, they are not wrong in several crucial respects.

To name a few: radical inflation in health care and college costs have become a radical threat to middle-class status; key elements of the safety net have been deleted; automation and offshoring have obliterated entire industries; wages have been flat; unions have been neutered; lending is almost as predatory as it has ever been; individual consumers are almost as overleveraged as they have ever been. Ordinary American life is scarier and more precarious than it has ever been in the living memory of anyone born after 1950 or so. And some older white folks are only just now coming to terms with it, and they are flailing about like, yep, idiot racists.

Yes, these same idiot racist voters brought some of those things about with their idiot racist voting over the years. Yes, they are terrible at diagnosing the problem (immigrants, welfare recipients, overpaid teachers, tax-and-spend liberals!) and even worse at prescribing solutions (border walls, entitlement gutting, tax cuts for the richest!). But all of that can be true and there are genuine, explicable, inexcusable reasons for nonelite Americans to feel economically anxious and under threat.

It makes me furious when I see people look at household income, because it's dumb, surface-level analysis that paints a more flattering picture of Americans' financial security than is true. The reality is a towering inferno of indebtedness and tens of millions of terrified racists who don't have $500 to spare in case of an emergency. Many of them are making more than the median household income!

That reality is part of why Democratic messaging like "America is already great!" was so unfathomably stupid. And it's why I still feel elected Democrats are, almost without exception, clueless about what to do or say next. Because their craven party orthodoxy absolutely contributed to the mess.

kirblar

That reality is part of why Democratic messaging like "America is already great!" was so unfathomably stupid. And it's why I still feel elected Democrats are, almost without exception, clueless about what to do or say next. Because their craven party orthodoxy absolutely contributed to the mess.
Rural areas were going to decline regardless of what Dems did!

The idea that "The Dems are to blame!" for global economic trends that heavily favor cities and their ability to generate massive amounts of wealth is ridiculous.

Miletius

Seems like only half the story, really, though. It doesn't matter if Trumps support tended to be high or normal among the more affluent NE or Southern Communities. He was always gonna get that vote, especially in the general. In primary states, of course his support was going to coalesce once he started winning -- that's the way the primary system works. What matters if if Trumps support was higher among working class communities in the Rust Belt -- i.e. where he managed to pull off an upset.

zelas

Yeah. What am I not getting here? In my book the connotation of a Trump voter doesn't mean anyone who voted for Trump, its the 30-35% that intend to stick with him no matter what + the fraction of Democrats that flipped because of "economic anxiety." It's the Democrats that flipped who are working class and they are found in the working class states with the electoral votes we needed.

When has anyone claimed that those for voted for him in the General were almost exclusively or largely working class voters? The rest of the republican party didnt abstain in 2016. Those reluctant Trump voters still outnumber real Trump voters.

I thought it was generally understood that while Clinton won the working-class generally (as Democrats typically do) the massive difference in proportion was enough to swing a few states and make others close or entirely uncompetitive.

Or maybe that isn't understood, idk

Did she when white working class though? Nobody talks about minority working class though; they probably pushed her on winning the working class demo.

Rural areas were going to decline regardless of what Dems did!

The idea that "The Dems are to blame!" for global economic trends that heavily favor cities and their ability to generate massive amounts of wealth is ridiculous.
The Overton window in America spans radical corporate bloodletting on right all the way over to milquetoast neoliberalism on the "left." The people can't imagine an alternative is an indictment, not an excuse.

There are literally thousands of ways Democrats could have mitigated the declining fortunes of rural Americans, or at least made the argument publicly so they wouldn't be left standing naked in the wake of Trump.

What an embarrassing, ideologically bankrupt political party. From 1968 to 2008 their platform was broadly "We don't think people of color are all bad," and by the time someone came along with a hopeful vision (in the face of financial collapse), it was hollow and too late.

I don't know man...I pay attention...and while there was stumbling articles that werent' specific enough...it did seem that most focused on the rust belt switching....that was indeed what happened.

Nah, this is probably a case of that liberal bubble thingy, because you're reading news that's actually reporting fact, or a closer than to fact. And it's pretty obvious most of the people here are the same way, but if you've paid attention to any cable news or right-wing media about this subject, you would see that this is definitely distorted to the working class revolt. Not just Fox, but MSNBC and CNN have both had major stories and forums about how the 'working class' switched to Trump for this election, and ironically enough, Mr. Liberal Savior himself, Bernie Sanders, has been spreading this narrative pretty much all the time since the election in one form or another.

Top Bottom