• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s way past time for the corporate bootlicking to stop

nikos

Ok. So let it be optional. Like what Sony decided to do after the backlash.

Now people who want progress synced on PS and PC can have that and people who don't aren't forced into it. There's a reason this answer is always given- its literally the best case scenario

Options are good but stuff like cross-play/progression, or even just account linking for the sake of connecting to online services and having progress saved, shouldn't be held back just because people don't like registering an account. Those people can play something else.

People often complain when things change but technology would never progress without it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I play games, I don’t particularly care about playing storefronts.

They could have the most basic store imaginable and I’d take that if it meant a new half life or portal type title
Well, I already agreed with you earlier on that. Wish they were still were making games for sure.

But lets not pretend they do nothing for the gaming space, when they have the most user-friendly storefront on the market (imo).

Mortisfacio

Options are good but stuff like cross-play/progression, or even just account linking for the sake of connecting to online services and having progress saved, shouldn't be held back just because people don't like registering an account. Those people can play something else.

People often complain when things change but technology would never progress without it.

Options are good. In a world of options, nothing is stopping you from signing up for a 3rd party auth. You're not being held back by someones choice not to. In this example of HD2, cross-play worked without an account. If you want to tie cross progression to an account, go ahead, but let that be a choice per person.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

It's not held back. You always had the option of linking your PS account.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
But lets not pretend they do nothing for the gaming space

I never made this claim at all.

I’m just pointing out that they are one of the most profitable companies in existence running largely off a storefront with very few employees.

It certainly makes Gabe and the lucky early employees enormously rich, but I can’t say they meaningfully reinvest into the industry they take so much from. Adding trinkets to a storefront isn’t a big deal in comparison

And what’s worse, anytime a competitor like Epic tries to develop their own launcher and spends an enormous amount on games, the PC audience bootlickers just complain about it. They seem to REALLY like their monopolies and licking Gabe’s boot

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
But lets not pretend they do nothing for the gaming space
I can’t say they meaningfully reinvest into the industry they take so much from.
Seems to me like you just did, again.

Adding trinkets to a storefront isn’t a big deal in comparison
I dunno man, I'm able to share my 500+ library of digital games with whoever I want while still being able to enjoy it. I'm also able to try a game for more than an hour and be able to request a refund if I don't like it or if it's giving me issues.

If that's not a big deal then I don't know what is.

Topher

Gold Member
I’m not against Steam Deck, but it’s an item that doesn’t require major investment to develop, unlike a typical AAA game

I want Valve to make ambitious games again

Why would I care how much a company had to invest in a product if they are providing a kick ass product? That's backwards thinking. I don't get any more value out of Steam Deck becasue it required more investment than PlayStation Portal.

As I said, I want Valve to make more games as well. That's one aspect of Valve that I can say yes, they need to do better. That doesn't negate other aspects of Steam that Valve knocks out of the park such as having an incredible community driven environment and creating a game key system that have fostered multiple third party companies that allows for competitive pricing of products in their store.

I’m just pointing out that they are one of the most profitable companies in existence running largely off a storefront with very few employees.

It certainly makes Gabe and the lucky early employees enormously rich, but I can’t say they meaningfully reinvest into the industry they take so much from. Adding trinkets to a storefront isn’t a big deal in comparison

And what’s worse, anytime a competitor like Epic tries to develop their own launcher and spends an enormous amount on games, the PC audience bootlickers just complain about it. They seem to REALLY like their monopolies and licking Gabe’s boot

Meanwhile, richer corporations are laying people off while still being incredibly profitable but the "margins" are not high enough to satisfy stockholders.

I can see that if you ignore all the work put into proton, etc.

Of course

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
I play games, I don’t particularly care about playing storefronts.

They could have the most basic store imaginable and I’d take that if it meant a new half life or portal type title
You don't play storefronts, you use them, and if they're done well (like steam) it makes our hobby a heck of a lot more streamlined and enjoyable.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Meanwhile, richer corporations are laying people off while still being incredibly profitable but the "margins" are not high enough to satisfy stockholders.

Not richer than Gabe, I assure you nobody that works at Sony is as wealthy as he is

This isn’t a black and white thing, like there’s some middle ground where Valve could employ more people, release more of their own games, and not have to lay people off

These are just straw man arguments

Banjo64

cumsessed
This latest debacle with Helldivers 2 is only the most recent example of a weird kind of Stockholm Syndrome that’s captured far too many gamers – and led to an industry where publishers think they can get away with almost anything they like.

It’s the Sony warriors this time around, but previous to this we’ve had just as bad from Xbox warriors defending some of Uncle Phil’s idiotic decisions.

It’s encouraging to see Sony have to back pedal due to pressure from the consumer, but this shouldn’t be in isolated incident – and it should stand as some kind of example to anyone who automatically jumps in to defend the corporation they happen to have aligned themselves with.

They don’t care about you. None of them do. They just want your money. You owe them no allegiance. You owe them nothing. Don’t be manipulated by people encouraging you to side with one corporation over another. You’re falling for some very basic marketing psychology. You’re a mark. And not a smart one.

We are cursed with broken games, incomplete games, over-priced games, games stuffed with MTX, and games designed for only one major purpose – to get cash out of your wallet.

This is because way too many gamers eat whatever shit their favourite corporation feeds them, say thank you, and wait for the next spoonful.

Stop it.

Helldivers 2 proves that you can make your opinion known about greed fuelled business practises coming from worthless gaming executives – and they have to listen, for fear of losing their next fucking bonus and yacht.

Remember that, the next time one of these companies puts out yet another virtually content free 'game' - with promises of updates further down the road. Or the next time they demand you sign up for things that don't provide any benefit whatsoever to you as a consumer. Or the next time they release a sub-standard piece of shit game that's full of bugs.

Stop pre-ordering. Stop leaping to the defence of corporations.

Except you @Ass of Can Whooping - you carry on, son.
Just goes to show as well that with a big enough uproar they would have reversed other anti-consumer decisions that solely targeted the PS user base (hardware and PS Plus price increases to name two).

Sadly the horse has bolted now and there will be other 20% increases coming in future years.

If Steam players had their way they’d pay nothing for games, wait for them to be sold for pennies on some Steam deal, and we’d have a terrible ecosystem where big games are no longer being made

PlayStation players are subsidizing PC HD2 gamers.

Some companies don’t have the luxury of just sitting on storefront profits because they actually re-invest into making new games, unlike Valve

Maybe the industry should just be a race to zero where all we play are f2p mobile garbage and nobody supports the hobby they enjoy, according to you
The PS players subsidizing the PC Helldivers 2 players is a delusional statement, dude.

GHG

There's nothing stopping all of that from being attached to an optional sign up within the game.

It should not be a requirement to even boot the game.

AmuroChan

I don't want them to care about me, I want them to help my portfolio grow as a stockholder of many of these tech companies. It should not come as a surprise that many gamers own stocks. And if you own stocks of any of these big corporations, you want them to grow their revenue which in turn makes your shares more valuable. Anyone who works full time and has a 401K, you likely own some of these tech stocks through an index fund or ETF without even knowing.

Last edited:

graywolf323

There's nothing stopping all of that from being attached to an optional sign up within the game.

It should not be a requirement to even boot the game.
agreed, I’m glad Sony went and made this optional again

the problem is that it’s not like Helldivers was some exception to the rule, I can’t even boot up Gears Tactics on Steam without logging into my Microsoft account and that’s a single player game, basically all live service titles require a login too

my view on this was given those circumstances, the uproar seemed disproportional to the issue, but I’m not upset that they reversed it

Both sides seem kind of crazy.

It was a lame policy change, but the reaction was fucking absurd. I am also happy that they reversed course. I think there are many people in the middle, where they were okay accepting the change, but also happy when it was repealed.

The insane overreaction did get results though.
If it worked, it was appropriate and not an over-reaction. And even the Arrowhead Director accept that it was warranted.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If it worked, it was appropriate and not an over-reaction. And even the Arrowhead Director accept that it was warranted.

The only issues that it prevented people who owned the game from playing it in certain countries

Sony should have recognized this before rolling it out. They should have simply had it to begin with and all countries supported and this would have been a non issue

Topher

Gold Member
Not richer than Gabe, I assure you nobody that works at Sony is as wealthy as he is

This isn’t a black and white thing, like there’s some middle ground where Valve could employ more people, release more of their own games, and not have to lay people off

These are just straw man arguments

And Gabe ventured into that "middle ground" and employed people to make Steam Deck. That's "meaningful" investment into the gaming industry whether you want to admit it or not. Multiple companies have followed suit. Doubtful PlayStation Portal would even be a thing if Valve showed the industry that a company not named "Nintendo" could make handhelds. That's a net positive impact on the industry. The suggestion that that nothing "meaningful" has come from Valve is simply willful ignorance.

But you'll be entirely dismissive of Steam Deck while praising PlayStation Portal. Isn't that you licking Sony's boot?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
zQ01GW.gif
Not sure what camels have got to do with this.

Mortisfacio

Both sides seem kind of crazy.

It was a lame policy change, but the reaction was fucking absurd. I am also happy that they reversed course. I think there are many people in the middle, where they were okay accepting the change, but also happy when it was repealed.

The insane overreaction did get results though.

The justified side of the "overreaction" was Sony pulled this after selling to people in countries that can't create a PSN. The shills/bootlickers then came out of the woodwork to tell people to just use a VPN or create a fake account in a different country, violating Sony's ToS, or "How many people playing are even in those countries anyways? not a big deal".

The only thing insane/absurd to me was the levels the bootlickers went to defend it.

GHG

agreed, I’m glad Sony went and made this optional again

the problem is that it’s not like Helldivers was some exception to the rule, I can’t even boot up Gears Tactics on Steam without logging into my Microsoft account and that’s a single player game, basically all live service titles require a login too

my view on this was given those circumstances, the uproar seemed disproportional to the issue, but I’m not upset that they reversed it

Personally I don't think the outcry was disproportionate, I think it's perfectly in line with where the stance should be for this issue. I've been against it since it started to creep it's way back in to PC storefront purchases and I've felt like in general people haven't been making as big a deal about it as they should have been.

So if this is going to be the normal response going forwards for the additional sign-in and layered DRM requirements then I'm all for it.

Buggy Loop

But lets not pretend they do nothing for the gaming space, when they have the most user-friendly storefront on the market (imo).

They made the most relevant and still #1 go-to VR experience for one. Nobody has matched it despite their best efforts. And the way the game ends, obvious sequel coming up.

eye-tracking.gif

world.gif

08495a3fd2e50df8747bcb9ad013931f168addd4.gifv

ebd09ce02b4b9b7c3d59eb442ee6afe22f20d291.gif

And to achieve that with the best experience for the time, they created SteamVR, the software/OS for it, still maintained and improved to this day, the headset and accessories for their Index which was again, arguably the most advanced headset for its time. They have a shitload of patents coming for Deckard headset. SteamVR OS was updated recently for steam link app so that Quest users would simply handshake and connect to SteamVR easily with an app even though that headset is not "theirs".

They support Steam Deck to rights to repair. They release CAD filers for DIYers to make their own accessories (remember Sony going against plastic shells? LOL). They partnered with iFixIT so that deck owners have all the repairs accessible easily. They have RMA'd out of warranty decks

They allow competing stores to sell Steam keys. Let that sink in for a moment. I know console peoples just really can't quite grasp this concept, Steam allows competition to their OWN store.

Other ways that Valve can remain the way they are is that they keep a war chest and pretty much bullet proof from hostile takeovers. They are not publicly traded company, so no dickhead shareholder or administration committee can come in and introduce anti-consumer shit onto Steam users. THAT has a price. You think in a world where Valve is publicly traded that they would refund gamers who had 200 hours in HellDivers 2? Absolutely not.

They can be critiqued of course, the cursed "never 3", but pro-consumer wise? I have a hard time finding better?

Last edited:

Puscifer

If Steam players had their way they’d pay nothing for games, wait for them to be sold for pennies on some Steam deal, and we’d have a terrible ecosystem where big games are no longer being made
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Because we all know 300 million for Spider-Man 2 and 1.2 billion for the next GTA is where the industry should be headed, right?

I've had more fun with Pizza Tower, Balatro and Dave the Diver, and Risk of Rain 2, Hades and than I've had with many AAA games IN YEARS. RoR 2 alone has more playtime from me than any Sony exclusive not named Death Stranding.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I've already highlighted your completely different take on PlayStation Portal versus this....

That’s not dismissing it at all. I’m glad they made it. It’s good to have more hardware options not being served in the market.

It’s not a replacement for the fact that Valve doesn’t create ambitious games regularly anymore

Topher

Gold Member
That’s not dismissing it at all. I’m glad they made it. It’s good to have more hardware options not being served in the market.

Of course it was. You've simply changed your narrative since I highlighted your competely different take on PlayStation Portal.

Not going to gaslight me man.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Give me a fucking break already with the Monopoly nonsense. Steam is a store front like Epic, Origin, The Microsoft Store, Green Man Gaming, GoG, etc. You see ZERO complaints about GoG

If you want to compete, then compete, but you can't come to market with a mediocre and in this case outright BAD product then expect people to latch on because you offer 5 year old mid games twice a week. Their in game UI is trash, loud and invasive with the achievement nonsense. It took a year to have basic functionality added to the store and they seem to spend more time whining about Apple and Valve than improving their store and UI, I bet if they took a quarter of the money they spent fighting Apple and put it into their launcher it would've been an actual competitor.

AmuroChan

The justified side of the "overreaction" was Sony pulled this after selling to people in countries that can't create a PSN. The shills/bootlickers then came out of the woodwork to tell people to just use a VPN or create a fake account in a different country, violating Sony's ToS, or "How many people playing are even in those countries anyways? not a big deal".

The only thing insane/absurd to me was the levels the bootlickers went to defend it.

It's also important though the draw the line between facts and fiction. Using a VPN is against TOS. Creating a PSN account for another region is not. We've never had native PSN support here in the Philippines. Yet we have many tens of thousands of PS gamers here. The most common type of PSN accounts that gamers here create are either an HK or Singapore account since that's the region that would most closely match ours. We've been doing that since the inception of the PSN and never had any issues. You can go on Reddit and see that that's what people have always historically done. What gets people in trouble is when they erroneously think they need a VPN to do this when in fact, they do not. So that when they do use a VPN, that's when they get in trouble with Sony. Again, this is not to defend Sony in anyway because it was idiotic to make the account linking mandatory rather than optional, but some of the information out there about PSN account creation in different countries are simply not 100% accurate.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Of course it was. You've simply changed your narrative since I highlighted your competely different take on PlayStation Portal.

Not going to gaslight me man.

No I haven’t, and you’ve failed to provide any change in stance. So you’re the one doing the gaslighting and straw man arguments

I’m not claiming Steam Deck isn’t worthwhile, I’m just claiming it’s nowhere near enough relative to how much money Valve generates off the back of other game makers. They should have far more skin in the game as a content provider

Mortisfacio

It's also important though the draw the line between facts and fiction. Using a VPN is against TOS. Creating a PSN account for another region is not. We've never had native PSN support here in the Philippines. Yet we have many tens of thousands of PS gamers here. The most common type of PSN accounts that gamers here create are either an HK or Singapore account since that's the region that would most closely match ours. We've been doing that since the inception of the PSN and never had any issues. You can go on Reddit and see that that's what people have always historically done. What gets people in trouble is when they erroneously think they need a VPN to do this when in fact, they do not. So that when they do use a VPN, that's when they get in trouble with Sony. Again, this is not to defend Sony in anyway because it was idiotic to make the account linking mandatory rather than optional, but some of the information out there about PSN account creation in different countries are simply not 100% accurate.

PSN terms of service explicitly say you must select the country or region of your residence, though

During Account creation you must select the country or region of your residence and in which your account will be registered in

Sure you "can" select a different country and you'll most likely be fine, but their ToS is clear on this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They just wanted another storefront device.
If that were true, why did they also provide me with the ability to install an alternate OS (Windows) and with that, the ability to easily play games from their competition (Epic, GOG, Microsoft, Ubisoft, etc.)?

Honestly at this point, I'd prefer for Valve to just remain a storefront-first company, so that they don't sink massive amounts of money into an ambitious AAA game. They've obviously shifted their internal talent to align with this: more people in business, finance, web development, etc. than game developers.

Lupin25

You can create PSN accounts from other countries.

PSN terms of service explicitly say you must select the country or region of your residence, though

Sure you "can" select a different country and you'll most likely be fine, but their ToS is clear on this.

You missed the part where he said “there is no region” to natively support Philippines on PSN.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I don't know how they can realistically verify that since they don't have any self-identifying information of yours. I have 7 PSN accounts for 7 different regions and have always used a burner email and fake address. Never been an issue. I'm sure if you create a thread and ask people here how many PSN accounts they own, many will they say they own multiple even though they don't own multiple residences.

Topher

Gold Member
No I haven’t, and you’ve failed to provide any change in stance. So you’re the one doing the gaslighting and straw man arguments

Well if we both think the other is gaslighting then there isn't much reason to continue. We will simply disagree. That's fine too.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If that were true, why did they also provide me with the ability to install an alternate OS (Windows) and with that, the ability to easily play games from their competition (Epic, GOG, Microsoft, Ubisoft, etc.)?

Honestly at this point, I'd prefer for Valve to just remain a storefront-first company, so that they don't sink massive amounts of money into an ambitious AAA game. They've obviously shifted their internal talent to align with this: more people in business, finance, web development, etc. than game developers.

The fact that Valve didn't lock Steam Deck down to its own store and services was pretty huge to me. An entirely different way of thinking from other corporations.

Buggy Loop

Steam link, steam controller, SteamVR headset/controller/sensors, Half Life Alyx, Steam Deck

You really think that they don't support the likes of Counter-strike, Dota 2 and TF2 since their release date either? You think that's how these games have >2M concurrent players daily years after release?

Counter-Strike 2 just recently?

Updating Steam, Maintaining Steam, Customer support, Curation for games, new content for their top MP games, Updating Steam deck, SteamOS, Proton to have a compatiblity layer to play windows games on linux, tons of VR research and patents for their next headset (huge sums of money in that department).

With ~1k ish employees, less employees than most major studios dedicated to AAA gaming and AAA gaming only.

But just for storefront :goog_unsure:

Michael J Fox Hello GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Ah yes, the Fortnite billionaire underdog. The place of goodwill such as paying for exclusivity and lock games from other stores.

Let's look at the definition of a monopoly since you seem to have a brain aneurism this morning :

mo·nop·o·ly /məˈnäpəlē/ noun 1. the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.

Sounds like epic exclusives in my opinion 🤷‍♂️

But it's ok, they give free games!

3482se5hi3151.jpg

Get in the van!

As I see it, the biggest issue concerning gaming in the current era concerns digital ownership. As a collective, 'gamers' have been way too accepting of the significant drawbacks of digital in its current implementation. As it stands, when you purchase a game digitally, you in-fact take ownership of a software licence; ownership itself predicates a degree of control over the licence. Now - platform holders have a responsibility to respect our rights as consumers, this includes providing a means to directly access the digital licence. Unfortunately, this responsibility has been abused in a manner in which can only be described as extremely anti-consumer. Negatives and abuses of the current digital software implementation by platform holders include:
  • Game software licences are specific to each platform separately i.e. not platform agnostic
  • Platforms do not provide the ability to access or extract game software licences - this is vital when it comes to private resale
  • Platforms do not provide a built in means to sell and trade purchased licences
  • Relating to termination of service surrounding specific games, there is no minimum guarantee of service for games that require an internet connection. If service is terminated, this effectively reduces the value of that associated software license to nothing and leaves the consumer with no means of recourse; financial or otherwise
  • Access to games purchased on a platform is bound to adherence to an ever shifting terms of service. Purchased licences become inaccessible should any user fall afoul of platform rules. This essentially locks the consumer out from access to their library. Absolutely unacceptable regardless of the offence. At a minimum, consumers must be able to access purchased licences for extraction or provided refunds for each inaccessible licence
  • Refunds concerning purchases of a software licence should mirror that of physical items; not arbitrary, consumer unfriendly rules made up by the platform holder
Every point listed could be addressed, the problem is that it is not in the platform holders financial interest to do so, only in the interest of the consumer. Now, the point here isn't to attack digital or even the platform holders themeselves. It is to ensure, as we are forced into the inevitable digital future, that basic rights are catered for and maintained. People have to be convinced that it doesn't have to be this way. If there ever was an industry wide concern for consumers, this is it. This is the next fight.

Hudo

This latest debacle with Helldivers 2 is only the most recent example of a weird kind of Stockholm Syndrome that’s captured far too many gamers – and led to an industry where publishers think they can get away with almost anything they like.

It’s the Sony warriors this time around, but previous to this we’ve had just as bad from Xbox warriors defending some of Uncle Phil’s idiotic decisions.

It’s encouraging to see Sony have to back pedal due to pressure from the consumer, but this shouldn’t be in isolated incident – and it should stand as some kind of example to anyone who automatically jumps in to defend the corporation they happen to have aligned themselves with.

They don’t care about you. None of them do. They just want your money. You owe them no allegiance. You owe them nothing. Don’t be manipulated by people encouraging you to side with one corporation over another. You’re falling for some very basic marketing psychology. You’re a mark. And not a smart one.

We are cursed with broken games, incomplete games, over-priced games, games stuffed with MTX, and games designed for only one major purpose – to get cash out of your wallet.

This is because way too many gamers eat whatever shit their favourite corporation feeds them, say thank you, and wait for the next spoonful.

Stop it.

Helldivers 2 proves that you can make your opinion known about greed fuelled business practises coming from worthless gaming executives – and they have to listen, for fear of losing their next fucking bonus and yacht.

Remember that, the next time one of these companies puts out yet another virtually content free 'game' - with promises of updates further down the road. Or the next time they demand you sign up for things that don't provide any benefit whatsoever to you as a consumer. Or the next time they release a sub-standard piece of shit game that's full of bugs.

Stop pre-ordering. Stop leaping to the defence of corporations.

Except you @Ass of Can Whooping - you carry on, son.
Brace yourself, OP. You will inevitably invoke wrath of corpo dick suckers on GAF.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Stop it.

Seriously. Too many people don't realize that that they don't have to eat shit. Too many people also don't even know they are eating shit in the first place too. Marketing is insanely effective.

It's fair to like a thing so much that you're willing to put up with some bullshit in order to get it. We all have. But try not to make it the default, and learn to realize that it's usually worth a critical thought or ten.

Top Bottom