• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Now Legal to Liquefy a Dead Body in California

Malyse

On Sunday, California Governor Jerry Brown passed AB 967, an innocuously named bill for a not-so-innocuous law. The bill, proposed by assembly member Todd Gloria, a San Diego democrat, will make it legal for Californians to liquefy their corpses after death in a bath of caustic juice.

The process, referred to as water cremation (or aquamation, resomation, bio-cremation, or flameless cremation), has been proposed as a much more environmentally friendly way to dispose of a body after death. The bill is sponsored by Qico, Inc., a “sustainable cremation” company that specializes in this form of corpse disposal, and it will go into effect by at least July 1, 2020.

“A lot of people view water creation as a more respectful option and we’re glad a lot of people will be able to have it,” Jack Ingraham, the CEO of Qico, tells Inverse. “We think this is a trend for the future. I think within 10 years to 20 years, cremation will be thought of as a water-based process, and the entire flame process will be replaced.”

Unfortunately, no actual liquid is returned to the survivors, only the remaining calcium, or the bones. “These are crushed into the ashes returned to the family,” Ingraham says, who adds that the process also results in about 20-30 percent more “ashes” being returned to the family. So while you can’t drink Uncle Frank, you will get more of his ashes.

These days, the only mainstream options available are burial or cremation, both of which aren’t especially green; coffins take up a lot of valuable space and are made of slowly biodegrading wood, and cremation requires reaching temperatures of up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit, which isn’t exactly energy efficient. Then there’s the option of sending a dead body to space in a rocket, which is not green, for obvious reasons.
Aquamation, in contrast, dissolves a body, DNA and all, in a vat of liquid into a relatively unharmful solution of slightly alkaline water that can be neutralized and returned to the Earth. California is the latest state to make the procedure legal, joining 14 others.

https://www.inverse.com/article/37446-aquamation-water-burial-california

Ah, if only California wasn't so expensive to live in.
And sunny.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
vB9B5.gif

BadHand

I assume it is like cremation only trained people are allowed to do it.

Given you can’t push a broom around these days without receiving specialized training first... I’d say you are probably right that only trained people can dissolve corpses in massive acid baths.

Instro

So instead of scattering someone's ashes I guess now you'll just be dumping their goop.

Keepsake Lava Lamps incoming...

"That's a cool Lava Lamp..."
"Yup....that's my Nana!"

There's gonna be cults built around drinking dead people.

I know you folks are joking, but fyi the article mentions that you still end up with "ashes" anyway. They take the leftover bones and pulverize them basically.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
that's dope. I'm in. Then they can still press my bones into an LP mixtape that I'm still working on. Winners all around.

Violet_0

Banned
do I have to, like, notefy anyone before I liquefy a body, and if so, do I need to specify how I came into possession of said body? Thanks in advance you're really helping me out here

Lowmelody

do I have to, like, notefy anyone before I liquefy a body, and if so, do I need to specify how I came into possession of said body? Thanks in advance you're really helping me out here

There are body liquefaction stamps you have to buy but no one ever does.

Top Bottom