• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Now Legal to Liquefy a Dead Body in California

Brakke

Banned
Jesus fucking goddamnit, entrepreneurs. Learn how humans speak.

What excites me is that this is a 'Black Swan' opportunity to ideate and usher in new traditions of aquacentric memorializations.

- Qico Founder, Jevon Truesdale​

https://qicoinc.com/about-us/

Dommo

matrixbaby.jpg

"I watched them liquefy the dead so they could be fed intravenously to the living."

Just another step towards AI-fuelled dystopia I guess.

Brakke

Banned
Lord almighty this doesn’t mean ANYTHING:

The Fire to Water™ method, itself, is unique in that it incorporates our corporate vision of making fire cremation technology a thing of the past.​

They should really Fire
to Water™
whoever does their copy.

Anyway I found a render of their thing:

Rosier-flipped.png

I suppose the idea is to turn *you* into the jelly this donut is missing?

Kthulhu

I'd be cool with this. Traditional funerals are a huge waste of money anyway, helping to save the environment and stick it to the funeral companies is just icing on the cake.

louiedog

I've actually been to a funeral directors convention as part of a job I had for a brief period. A guy who operated a crematorium told me he could reduce a 300 lb man to the size of a coffee can (yes, I also thought of the Big Lebowski). I wonder what volume a 300 lb liquefied person occupies.

Johndoey

Banned
Wonder where the liquid will go though, incoming scandal about some place flushing remains or just pouring them in the sewer im sure.
If the solution they used to dissolve the body can be neutralized it's pretty much just a nutrient soup right? Might be useful for something.

Brakke

Banned
If the solution they used to dissolve the body can be neutralized it's pretty much just a nutrient soup right? Might be useful for something.

The article gets into the details, it’s actually pretty interesting. They basically simmer the corpse in lye, then pour in some vinegar at the end to bring it back to or at least closer to neutral. No mention where the person-slurry gets flushed to tho.

Situation with bones is cool:

In aquamation, raising the temperature and pressure helps the process move along faster. Usually, it takes about four hours to dissolve a skeleton. By the end of the process, the only solid thing that’s left is a pile of soft bones (potassium hydroxide won’t eat through calcium phosphate) that gets crushed into a sterile powder for family members of the deceased to take home.

They claim the “bone” remains aren’t toxic like cremation ashes, so you can scatter them in more places.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So if you liquify a person, turn them into fertilizer, grow a fruit tree, and eat the fruit... is that gross?

Brakke

Banned
So if you liquify a person, turn them into fertilizer, grow a fruit tree, and eat the fruit... is that gross?

The alternative is eating fruit fertilized with cow shit.

I’m not out here standing tall for cannibalism but if I was starving to death on the Oregon Trail, I’d eat a man long before I ate a cow pie.

Top Bottom