• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge stops Ohio funeral home from liquefying bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

As long as it actually turns into water and doesn't have remnants of the body or whatever I don't really care. I'm not sure how high quality Ohio's public water is though. I'm not sure if one day someone is going to turn on their faucet and an ear lobe, pupil + 3 teeth are going to pop out.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The human body generates more bio-electricity than a 120-volt battery and over 25,000 BTU's of body heat. Combined with a form of fusion, we might have found all the energy we would ever need. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Angry Fork said:
As long as it actually turns into water and doesn't have remnants of the body or whatever I don't really care. I'm not sure how high quality Ohio's public water is though. I'm not sure if one day someone is going to turn on their faucet and an ear lobe, pupil + 3 teeth are going to pop out.
I live in Cleveland and it's a pretty good day when that's all I get.

ToxicAdam

Shick Brithouse said:
I have no issues with the bodies being liquified, I just think that flushing the remains down the sewer is a bad idea from many standpoints.

Our society by and large holds a great deal of reverence for how human remains are treated, so when I said that I was speaking as our society as a whole, not my own personal beliefs.

There just has to be a better way to get rid of the leftovers, thats all.

If the person who died and their family want this done, what business does "society" have in stopping them?

Thousands of animals are dumped down the drain in a similar manner every year. Approved by our government.

Zoe

Borgnine said:
The human body generates more bio-electricity than a 120-volt battery and over 25,000 BTU's of body heat. Combined with a form of fusion, we might have found all the energy we would ever need. I'm just thinking out loud here.

q83CI.jpg

Nymeria88

As long as the remains are put in a part of the water treatment that they will get treated before coming in to contact with living people I have no issue. They are already doing it with animals. People are mammals too.

Aesius

davepoobond said:
i dont know if i feel comfortable knowing i might have a little molecule of Steve floating around in my water down the line.

Is that somehow worse than the knowledge that everything you touch is already covered in fecal particles?

Gallbaro

Banned
Wait, people actually give a shit about liquified bodies mixing with shit? They find that offensive?

I am going for the greenest disposal, dump my body in the forest or desert for something to eat.

Shanadeus

Banned
Gallbaro said:
Wait, people actually give a shit about liquified bodies mixing with shit? They find that offensive?

I am going for the greenest disposal, dump my body in the first out desert for something to eat.
That would actually be very non-green as your body is probably filled with toxins and chemicals that will cause eco-damage.

In comparison, flushing down our bodies so that it will undergo treatment sounds a whole lot more responsible.

Zenith

Banned
Hey You said:
What if more and more funeral homes did this? Wouldn't it pollute local waters? Is it dangerous for human contact or even indigestion?

They do this with animals already.

HeySeuss

ToxicAdam said:
If the person who died and their family want this done, what business does "society" have in stopping it?
Absolutely none, I agree. But unfortunately that's not how the real world works. Much less controversial things have been scrapped due to public outrage and ignorance.

As long as it can be tested to be proven that it wouldn't cause that cannibal brain disease, I guess it wouldn't bother me as much, just the sound of washing someone's remains down the sewer sounds a bit creepy.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i'm laughing at all of you who think this is somehow going to affect your drinking water... You wouldn't drink straight from the tap if you saw the rusty nasty pipes your water travels through to get to your rusty nasty pipes in your house/apartment/townhouse.

Hari Seldon

Sounds like a good business opportunity. Offer this option to people, convert water into some type of drink, sell it to freaks for huge $$$$$$$$$$.

DeuceMojo said:
You're at least committed to the deep, pretty similar to being covered in soil and having the earth reclaim your form.

Sewer, yeah, not really the same.

Its a euphemism for being flushed down the toilet. Didn't you ever have a goldfish?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The sewer thing is a little gross but I have no issue with liquifying human remains. Certainly a better option than the idiotic practice of sticking the body in a box and taking up precious land to shove them in the ground.

Zzoram

The process seems like it would kill any bacteria/parasites and inactivate viruses so it seems safe to dump these remains into the sewers.

No objections here.

As the human population continues to grow, I'd rather we use what little precious land we have left to live/farm and not waste the space filling it with boxed bodies.

Red

UnblessedSoul said:
Thats disgusting and flushing them down the sewers just takes the biscuit, should be banned completely
Alright, look: how else am I supposed to meet my protein requirements for the day?

Alucrid

Banned
captive said:
i'm laughing at all of you who think this is somehow going to affect your drinking water... You wouldn't drink straight from the tap if you saw the rusty nasty pipes your water travels through to get to your rusty nasty pipes in your house/apartment/townhouse.

It's more the thought of knowing that it happens. Sure there's the rusty pipes, poop, urine, etc. etc. that gets all filtered out and cleaned at water facilities, but ignorance is bliss.

JGS

Banned
Axion22 said:
Can I be liquefied and then shot into space?
I think this will happen. For some reason, I keep thinking that crazy rich people will be liquefied and then made into a Jello mold for immortality purpose. It beats building a statue.

The more I thought about it, the more I don't have a problem with it as long as you can choose. I don't think it will be that popular given the reactions plus the cost is going to have to be similar to cremation or else funeral homes lose money on the alternative. They can't increase supply/demand (hopefully) too much.

kehs

Banned
Since people are too stupid to use the internet:

alkaline hydrolysis

Alkaline Hydrolysis is a water- based chemical resolving process using strong alkali in water at temperatures of up to 180C (350F) to rapidly yet sympathetically reduce the body to ash. It is essentially a highly accelerated version of natural decomposition chemistry. Hydrolysis as the name suggests is the process of forcing water molecules between the chemical bonds holding large tissue molecules such as fats, DNA and proteins together. This process breaks the tissue down to its original small molecular building blocks. This is a natural process found in body decomposition after death.

With natural body decomposition you eventually after many months or years end up with ash (bones) and a liquid which is exactly what you get with Alkaline Hydrolysis after two to three hours.

Copernicus said:
Since people are too stupid to use the internet:
alkaline hydrolysis
Great post, thanks for the additional info.

You histrionic "moralists" need to take it down several pegs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The "moral argument" stinks. It used to be part of good Christian society that the body could never be desecrated. So cremation was never a possibility.... but neither were autopsies, and medical science could never advance.

Fuck your taboos. Society should move on. I don't have any taboos about it, and neither do my family. Get rid of my body however you want... It's just garbage after I'm dead. This sounds like a safe way to dispose of a body, so go for it.

ToxicAdam said:
Is there a reason you linked to this shitty eight sentence article rather than the actual Columbus Dispatch article it references?

I mean, for one, it answers your questions:
ToxicAdam said:
What a silly judge. We allow them to do this to animals but not humans? If a person elects this as a way to be disposed of, why should the law stop them?
Those answers being:
1) The process has not been approved by the state department that regulates disposal of human remains, and
2) the law sets forth the ways in which human remains may be disposed.

Edwards, the owner of the funeral service, filed for a restraining order to keep the Ohio Department of Health from following it's regulations. All the judge did was deny the order, which means the Department's regulations stand.

Zee-Row

Banned
FleaTheMagician said:
This is disgusting and makes me never want to drink water ever ever again.

Chances are you've drank tap water out of rivers and ponds with murdered dead bodies in it.

This sounds like the base to a horror movie where a convicted killer is liquefied and flushed, only his soul remains attached and his liquified remains are therefore still alive. Now he moves through the pipes murdering people as they use their local water supply to do everyday things like bathe, brush their teeth, make Kool-Aid, go swimming, etc etc.

We can call it Water Works

and then in the sequel, Water Worked, he could have figured out how to actually control another human body since we are mostly water, jumping from body to body by being peed or sweat out. Maybe even swapped around by kissing or other bodily fluid transmissions.

blamite

You know, other than the sewer part, I'd be down for doing this.
BlackNMild2k1 said:
This sounds like the base to a horror movie where a convicted killer is liquefied and flushed, only his soul remains attached and his liquified remains are therefore still alive. Now he moves through the pipes murdering people as they use their local water supply to do everyday things like bathe, brush their teeth, make Kool-Aid, go swimming, etc etc.

and then in the sequel, Water Worked, he could have figured out how to actually control another human body since we are mostly water, jumping from body to body by being peed or sweat out. Maybe even swapped around by kissing or other bodily fluid transmissions.
I'd also see this movie.

Purkake4

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:

That's gold, Jerry, gold!

quickwhips

All bones should be salted and burned not turned to liquid. How do you stop the ghost then?

On a real note does anyone know what the law says proper ways are?

Joates

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
The Department of Agriculture says it's a more environmentally-friendly way to dispose of bodies.

But state health officials say it's not an acceptable way to dispose of bodies.

Should be bolded in op imo. Its hilarious watching different levels of govt contradict themselves :lol

quickwhips said:
On a real note does anyone know what the law says proper ways are?
Ohio administrative code only seems to mention embalming/burial and cremation. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other ways, but I don't see them mentioned.

Joates said:
Should be bolded in op imo. Its hilarious watching different levels of govt contradict themselves :lol
There's nothing a contradictory about the more environmentally-friendly way not being an acceptable method. Regulations like this tend to be written tightly, and anything outside of those regulations is "not acceptable." Get this method written into the regulations, and it will be acceptable.

mrseaves

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
I don't understand how this is a "moral" issue? The person dying elects to do this and the funeral home offers it as a service. How is morality being breached here?
I can't wait till cannibal restaurants serving voluntary human meals are legalized.

Shanadeus

Banned
mrseaves said:
I can't wait till cannibal restaurants serving voluntary human meals are legalized.
There's a very real disease risk there, not to speak of the problems of humans being pressured into it.

But other than that I don't see why it shouldn't be legalized.

Axion22

JGS said:
I think this will happen. For some reason, I keep thinking that crazy rich people will be liquefied and then made into a Jello mold for immortality purpose. It beats building a statue.

I was envisioning me being the urine from that scene in Apollo 13.

ToxicAdam

mrseaves said:

Maybe this will happen in a future where false equivalencies are valid arguments.

Squirell Killer said:
Those answers being:
1) The process has not been approved by the state department that regulates disposal of human remains, and
2) the law sets forth the ways in which human remains may be disposed.

I chose that link because it was more succinct. It still got the point across even though it didn't delve so much into the minutiae of it all.

Secondly, the law allows for 'alternative methods' of disposal of bodies. This falls under this jurisdiction and there is no law prohibiting this method. So, the onus should fall upon the lawmakers to BAN this procedure specifically if there is no outward apparent risk to public health.

Columbus sewer officials inspected the funeral home in February. George Zonders, a Columbus Public Utilities Department spokesman, said inspectors decided that the process does not violate city sewage limits for alkalinity and heat and does not need an industrial sewer permit.

House, with the state health department, said Edwards had been checking the word other and writing in alkaline hydrolysis instead of burial or cremation on city burial-permit applications.

"Clearly the state had in mind that there would be other technologies that would be introduced," Edwards said.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten.../23/state-halts-liquid-cremation.html?sid=101

Joates

Banned
Squirrel Killer said:
Ohio administrative code only seems to mention embalming/burial and cremation. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other ways, but I don't see them mentioned.

There's nothing a contradictory about the more environmentally-friendly way not being an acceptable method. Regulations like this tend to be written tightly, and anything outside of those regulations is "not acceptable." Get this method written into the regulations, and it will be acceptable.

When you have a state health administration labeling a more environmentally-friendly way of disposing carcasses as "not acceptable", I would consider that contradictory to their MO.

Thats assuming more environmentally-friendly = healthier for the environment = healthier for us.

ToxicAdam said:
I chose that link because it was more succinct. It still got the point across even though it didn't delve so much into the minutiae of it all.
Except that it didn't answer your questions, while the one I posted did. It's not like posters here need any help in going off half-cocked without any substantive information besides the thread titles. It may be succinct, but it's not very conducive to constructive discussion.

ToxicAdam said:
Secondly, the law allows for 'alternative methods' of disposal of bodies. This falls under this jurisdiction and there is no law prohibiting this method. So, the onus should fall upon the lawmakers to BAN this procedure specifically if there is no outward apparent risk to public health.
Where does it allow for 'alternative methods?" Because you most recent link includes this:
Columbus Dispatch said:
Jennifer Baugess, compliance officer for the funeral directors board, said Edwards was told during a Sept. 13 board meeting that, before hydrolysis could be used, Ohio law would have to be changed to add it as an option in burial permits.

Jennifer House, a health department spokeswoman, said burial and cremation are the only two approved procedures in Ohio.
Those two people seem to argue against the idea that Ohio law allows for 'alternative methods.' I only skimmed the Ohio codes, but I didn't see anything related to 'alternative methods' there either.

Joates said:
When you have a state health administration labeling a more environmentally-friendly way of disposing carcasses as "not acceptable", I would consider that contradictory to their MO.

Thats assuming more environmentally-friendly = healthier for the environment = healthier for us.
That's not how "not acceptable" is being used here. If the law says you can only do A or B, then C is not acceptable. There's no value judgment there, it's just that there are two acceptable things, and anything else is not acceptable.

Joates

Banned
Squirrel Killer said:
That's not how "not acceptable" is being used here. If the law says you can only do A or B, then C is not acceptable. There's no value judgment there, it's just that there are two acceptable things, and anything else is not acceptable.

Then why even have an option for "C" on the required forms, if all the acceptable options are already explicitly listed?

ToxicAdam

Squirrel Killer said:
Where does it allow for 'alternative methods?" Because you most recent link includes this:

On the burial permit, it gives you three choices: Burial, Cremated and Other. This is just another variation of cremation and by all accounts, a better variation of that process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom