• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Official: Marvel's Avengers Is Gone

It's happened, Marvel's Avengers is no more. Just three years after launch, the game has been delisted from all storefronts but will remain playable for anyone who picked it up before the takedown. You should still be able to play with friends, but any issues you run into won't be addressed, and there will be no more events.

This makes for a pretty short lifespan, particularly for a live service with much grander aspirations. It's also a far more dramatic move than most publishers would make, as many would just stop providing updates for the game. Instead, Crystal Dynamics owner Embracer Group has gone as far as preventing any new players from picking up the game, even though both single-player and multiplayer elements are perfectly playable.
marvel-s-avengers.jpg

Marvel's Avengers at least ended on a slightly better note than it opened on, as the price was cut by 90 percent. This netted you the Definitive Edition, which includes all of the cosmetics and DLC for free. In practice, this should help Marvel's Avengers feel like any other single-player game, rather than a live service that just had its roadmap come to an end.

Alas, the Steam reviews were still "mixed" by the time Embracer pulled the plug, so its chance for a comeback seems to have come and gone. Admittedly, there's a reason support didn't last long, as it struggled to find its audience in a sea of other live services. Met with mixed reviews from launch too, its audience quickly grew frustrated with its online elements, including controversial paid XP boosters around a year after launch. In terms of sales, it performed below expectations but continued to receive updates and expansions regardless.
Through it all, it retained a dedicated, if often frustrated, audience. They were never afraid to make their grievances known, but they would stick with the live service through thick and thin. However, it seems that this just wasn't enough to please Embracer Group when it acquired Crystal Dynamics in 2022.

We'll have to see how the future fares for Marvel's Avengers, now that it's been delisted. The generous 90 percent off sale is likely to have enticed a few would-be players who were on the fence throughout the game's online run, so who knows? Maybe it will pick up a cult following through its offline offerings. Yet this probably won't be enough to secure the sequel that some fans were after, especially with Embracer Group tightening its purse strings in recent weeks. In practice, this has led to numerous layoffs across many of the studios it owns, so hardly a time that Embracer bosses would want to take a risk on a series that's already failed once.
sad-depressed.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Aside from the burnout that 20 years of constant Avengers media instills, it's just difficult for me to accept games where the mightiest heroes like Thor and Hulk have to hit a standard goon 30 times to beat them. Maybe it's just not the way these guys should be in games.

sinnergy

Aside from the burnout that 20 years of constant Avengers media instills, it's just difficult for me to accept games where the mightiest heroes like Thor and Hulk have to hit a standard goon 30 times to beat them. Maybe it's just not the way these guys should be in games.
20 years? I thought the first movie was 2012?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Imagine fucking up the Avengers franchise.

Single Player story driven game that rotates the characters you play (similar to MK did) as you progress the story.
The characters you play in the base game are the original 6 in the movies.
Litter the game with DLC side stories released at regular intervals introducing a new playable superhero in each one and their interactions with one of the Avengers or some of them [no origin stories]
Plan for a final chunky DLC that is a major crossover event [secret wars] that includes all the characters (last one will be more expensive obviously). Promote this as a major event and not just regular DLC.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So if I load this up I get anything for free, or have I missed out?

Bought a cheap key for steam and forgot to redeem it lol. Hopefully it still works

lordrand11

For anyone that wants to pick it up through Steam before the key cost jumps to an insane price, check out cdkeys as the cost of it right now is around $12.

It wasn't my favorite game by far but it had some generally fun moments.

VN1X

Banned
I think I bought this game for like 32eu on PC for my then gf at the time.

Not even joking but I think the very next week it dropped to half that price or something lol.

What's even worse is that she barely even played it even though she's a huge Marvel-stan.

Moral of the story: all women are fake and ghey

Last edited:

ByWatterson

This is a reflection not only of how misguided the game was, but also of how late it was. It came out right after Marvel films had peaked.

Can't get by on a license anymore. It has to be good.

SCB3

Its a shame cause what was there I enjoyed (I'm a huge Marvel fan which helped) and a lot of the unavoidable bullshit with MTX, Spiderman being locked on PS4/5 and the weird endgame loop being either grindy unless there were Events or really just well boring to do didn't help

For what it is worth, the Single Player was actually not a bad game, it had an interesting story going for it and some of the characters were great, Ms Marvel being the stand out, the Black Panther update helps fix stuff as well, but it was far too late

I managed to get about 80 hours out of the game, I enjoyed my time with it but it was never gonna last, a shame really

Zug

Misleading title, I though Disney finally had an illumination and decided to ditch the whole MCU "thing".

MirageMew2

Got the Plat and a good 300 hours out of this. People didn’t give it the chance it deserved. Zero pay-to-win and everything post-launch was free. Anybody saying otherwise is full of shit. The real issues came down to a shit network infrastructure, lack of polish, bugs etc. but there’s always been a real gem here. Short of the LEGO games there’s nothing quite nailing an Avengers game experience like this.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I remember everyone making a big deal over the Playstation version having exclusive Spider-Man content for this game
It ended up being a DLC that took too long and the slowest and most cumbersome Spiderman in video games, after LJN games.

Top Bottom