• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Official: Marvel's Avengers Is Gone

simpatico

Somehow the gaming industry fumbled the entire MCU era. No clue how they did it, but here we are. A gen before during the Star Wars prequel era we had 4,321 video games about it and bunch were good. MCU era? 1 meh game and 1 good game. Props to Guardians of the Galaxy for sliding in at the last possible second and making a fun one.

I remember having a decent time with the demo. I didn't outright hate it by any stretch, but it did not scratch the superhero itch the way it should have, and it just came across as a cumbersome beat-em-up with none of the soul of games like it. It felt like a cash-grab and just seemed like it was a very design-by-numbers kind of game with no passion. I did end up buying it a few months ago actually for like $5 or whatever and I would happily play it with a group of friends if the opportunity presented itself. I just don't expect that to happen.

It's a bummer as I hope other publishers/developers don't give up on the idea of a co-op superhero action game. It's a no-brainer idea, it just needs a good execution.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
200.gif

Flush that turd, returnal you’re next…

WorldHero

Such potential, I really enjoyed the campaign. The GAAS focus really messed up something good. The graphics and gameplay were on point.

Neon Xenon

When this game was first shown off at some Sony event years ago, I felt like the gameplay was kind of dull. Even watching someone check out the game now after grabbing it for $4 on Steam, it still doesn't look all that exciting. But I can see where some people might enjoy the whole gameplay loop, it's not something I was looking for at the time and not now.

The thing that negatively sticks with me most about the game is how the whole thing feels like a waste. I can imagine the suits behind this being so convinced that a live service game where you get to play as the Avengers would be a surefire hit. But the results speak for themselves, and now the game is discontinued.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This has to be one of the biggest flops in gaming. I wonder how much money was lost when it was all said and done. Big marketing campaign. Maybe the most popular IP on the planet. Sony buying exclusive content (LMAO). What a disaster.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Somehow the gaming industry fumbled the entire MCU era. No clue how they did it, but here we are. A gen before during the Star Wars prequel era we had 4,321 video games about it and bunch were good. MCU era? 1 meh game and 1 good game. Props to Guardians of the Galaxy for sliding in at the last possible second and making a fun one.
Spider-Man What GIF by PlayStation

Can you even play co op now it's gone? I picked it up just for the single player but hey ho.

Will I still be able to play with my friends?

Yes. Multiplayer will still be accessible after support discontinues on September 30, 2023. Multiplayer will continue to require Xbox Live Gold on Xbox platforms and PS Plus on PlayStation platforms.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I can imagine the suits behind this being so convinced that a live service game where you get to play as the Avengers would be a surefire hit. But the results speak for themselves, and now the game is discontinued.
No, the only reason this failed was because of an extreme lack of content, the hawkeye expansions were delayed because of the delays with the show, and the war for wakanda expansion was delayed because boseman died, there were many long stretches without any meaningful updates, and they also refused to fix some glaring issues, instead opting to just release new cosmetics and introducing more stupid mechanics.
Every new roadmap talk just made it seem like there were 5 people working on the post launch content, which caused many of the promised update/content to never materialise.

If they had stuck to the strengths of the core combat system and had a steady stream of meaningful updates/content, the game would not have killed itself.

None of the games were based on the MCU.
These are the actual MCU games and I'll rank them from best to worst:

Legitimately fun:

-Captain America: Super Soldier(X360/PS3) (Game based it's combat on the Arkham games)
-Lego Marvel Avengers(PS4/XBO)

Surprisingly fun mobile experience:

-Thor: The Dark World iOS/Android
-Captain America: Winter Soldier iOS/Android

(Both above games were takes on the Marvel Ultimate Alliance formula)

Decently janky fun as a rental or 5-10 dollar purchase:

-Iron Man X360/PS3
-Iron Man 2 X360/PS3
-Incredible Hulk 2008

Decent mobile experience:

-Iron Man 3 iOS/Android

Boring:

-Thor: God of Thunder(X360/PS3)

Bad Platformer:

-Incredible Hulk Nintendo DS

Even my young daughter had enough of the woke QTE shite in that game, we stopped playing it very early on, the start was horrible to "play".

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
This game feels a rip off even when i paid 4 dollars for it.

Midnight Suns is leagues and ducks better

Pejo

Oh what a bummer, I was gonna pick it up for the campaign and totally forgot about it. Maybe there are some keys floating around still on 3rd party sites?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Might be a silly question but what if you were to buy a physical copy?

You'll be able to play it without any issues. But they had all DLC for free before it shut down, so you'll just get the base game.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I bought it for the $1.99 they were asking for it a couple weeks ago and my 10 year old has been playing it a lot and enjoying it.

So I’ll call that a win.

Madflavor

Nothing of value is lost. Way to drop the ball. This game came out a year after Endgame, right after when the MCU peaked in terms of financial gain and popularity. That's probably why they were so aggressive with MTX. Square was more interested in striking while the iron was hot and sucking on that bloated fucking pig carcass as much and as quickly as they could. But they made the mistake of not making sure it was fun game first. What an absolute waste.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The “these are all the same movie” series started with Iron Man. It seems that was 2008, so 15 years, whatever. The mind was numbed for everything after the second Captain America movie.
I could have sworn it was earlier than that. I was thinking 2005ish.

Super hero bullshit needs to stop honestly. It's singlehandedly reducing testosterone in the west.

Last edited:
Top Bottom