• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's only a day after Halloween and the horror's already begun

There was Christmas music playing in a Starbucks yesterday. Today I heard "Wonderful Christmas Time" while grabbing some leftover Halloween candy at CVS. One of my local malls started putting decorations up last week.

giphy.gif

I'mma go kill God. Brb.

you ever meet someone who is overly nice and smiling all the time?

that's christmas personified

halloween vs christmas:

Last edited:
Theres been xmas stuff for sale in the shops in Scotland for a while.

I was in Florida in August and some food place.......cracke barrel maybe? Had a xmas gift shop attached to it.

Anyway. Xmas is awesome. Enjoy it. The music channels here have been doing xmas music videos since start of october

If you think that was bad when I was at Target to buy Halloween candy before Halloween they already had a few Christmas stuff out.

Can't we at least wait until after Halloween?

Weilthain

Banned
There are two separate Christmas shops on the street where I work, open all year round it’s mad.

I love Christmas. My dad hates it, he says if he ever met Santa he would shoot him.

highrider

Banned
I love Christmas. Get cool stuff, give cool stuff. It’s fun. Don’t be an edge lord humbug. The actual holiday is the only really fun one as an adult imo. I cook for most of my family every year, 10 or 15 people. The meals I make are epic.

That won't happen here until December 6th, which isn't quite enough time to enjoy all the decorations and stuff in my opinion. Perhaps November first is a bit too early, but I enjoy the atmosphere anyway.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Ive never understood it, don't the people who anticipate Christmas for 2-3 months prior get super disappointed once Christmas actually comes around? There's no way your Xmas lives up to the hype you built for months.. And it's probably Hella depressing when it's over too

Oct for halloween
Nov for thanksgiving
Dec for Christmas

Imo

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Ive never understood it, don't the people who anticipate Christmas for 2-3 months prior get super disappointed once Christmas actually comes around? There's no way your Xmas lives up to the hype you built for months.. And it's probably Hella depressing when it's over too

Oct for halloween
Nov for thanksgiving
Dec for Christmas

Imo

As an adult male you’re going to get things like gift cards and practical things like clothes. Once you understand this it’s never disappointing. The actual joy is in giving as cliche as it sounds. If you have children it’s truly another level of fun.

GamingKaiju

I only get in the Christmas spirit in December but shops begin putting stuff up before Halloween and M thinking not yet.

Whilst I’m not in the Christmas spirit I’m already thinking about gifts for family. Luckily enough this year many family members aren’t wanting much this year so it at least cheaper for us lol

Last edited:
As an adult male you’re going to get things like gift cards and practical things like clothes. Once you understand this it’s never disappointing. The actual joy is in giving as cliche as it sounds. If you have children it’s truly another level of fun.
And the Christmas dinner. It's all about the Christmas dinner.

GAMETA

Banned
Wanna know what's worse?

Christmas in the summer in the southern hemisphere.

Motherfucking 104 degrees outside and winter decorations all over, poor old guys doing gigs as Santa full suit on diying from the heat, there's cotton balls everywhere on stuff because that's the closest we get to snow, you get a sweater as a gift because movies, BUT IT'S FUCKING SUMMER, and worst of all, we're singing the same stupid songs that you are, but with shittier lyrics because at least they had the decency of removing the snow and sledge fun references so people are not too miserable sweating on the dinner table. The most traditional Christmas fun I've ever had was sliding down a hill on a fucking banana tree leaf and hurting my balls in the process.

Northern hemisphere snow priviledged cunts.

Last edited:
Wanna know what's worse?

Christmas in the summer in the southern hemisphere.

Motherfucking 104 degrees outside and winter decorations all over, poor old guys doing gigs as Santa full suit on diying from the heat, there's cotton balls everywhere on stuff because that's the closest we get to snow, you get a sweater as a gift because movies, BUT IT'S FUCKING SUMMER, and worst of all, we're singing the same stupid songs that you are, but with shittier lyrics because at least they had the decency of removing the snow and sledge fun references so people are not too miserable sweating on the dinner table. The most traditional Christmas fun I've ever had was sliding down a hill on a fucking banana tree leaf and hurting my balls in the process.

Northern hemisphere snow priviledged cunts.
Then on top of it all you open your gift on christmas morning and it's just filled with spiders and snakes, "dammit Sheila the snakes and spiders got to the gifts again this year" fair dinkum my friend, fair dinkum indeed.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
half my Facebook has their trees up already, it’s stupid. I love Halloween and decorate the house etc, but try to save Christmas decorating for as long as possible. With a three year old that’s tough.

I’ll likely put them up half way into November though. I can’t resist blasting out the Christmas tunes all day...

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I love Christmas, but it is NOT UNTIL DECEMBER.

Fuck this "hey! let's start christmas at the end of september" bullshit. They're ruining it. It's not special and wonderful if it takes up half the year, damnit.

royox

I was driving throught Barcelona yesterday and some streets already had the Christmast Lights ready. Me and gf where like "what the fuck it's still November chill dudes".

Doom85

As somebody who worked retail for over a decade (and now works a job that still gets more stressful around this time although thankfully I don't deal with customers anymore)), yeah that kinda puts a permanent stain on the holiday season itself. The 24th/25th are fine, but the rest of the season sucks. Too many people about, 1/3 of the radio stations apparently think limiting themselves to the 3 dozen Christmas songs is not total bullshit, a good portion of the people I know are stressed out, etc. The only time during the month I might enjoy myself is if I get a chance to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Grinch (original animated), Santa Clause, Muppets' Christmas Carol, etc. but usually I'm too busy to find time.

Halloween is awesome. Barely any effect on retail (you grab a few bags of candy and usually a few costumes, boom you're done), and I spend the month playing scary video games and watching scary movies. I got like 40 trick or treaters this Halloween despite a sudden drop in temperature and some decent wind. Also went with my sister and brother-in-law when they took their daughter to visit my grandmother in her assisted living home where they were putting on a trick or treat party where all the elderly waited outside their room doors (some in costume) with candy. My niece is only 1 so they had her wear a simple duck costume, but my cousin and her daughter also showed up and her daughter was dressed as Uraraka from My Hero Academia, very cool.

MilkyJoe

Walked into a Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. It was like a fuckin' winter wonderland in there.

I tweeted the store asking what they are playing at, they replied "people like to be prepared" I replied " you have your decorations up" no reply...

You know, in the Catholic tradition, we have something called Advent, where you *prepare* to celebrate the coming of Christ for about 4 weeks.

I know, right? Christmas is supposed to be about presents! What's all this religious nonsense about?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I live in an overcrowded, liberal dominated suburban center of a major US city. Driving and going to stores blows extra ass in the whole period preceding Christmas. It already blows a lot of ass normally. But I'm talking lots and lots of asses getting blown, one after the other. It just makes the whole period mean nothing but increased stress to me.

Weilthain

Banned
You know, in the Catholic tradition, we have something called Advent, where you *prepare* to celebrate the coming of Christ for about 4 weeks.

I know, right? Christmas is supposed to be about presents! What's all this religious nonsense about?
You’re not supposed to eat shrimp either, but do you? Huh? DO YOU?!

Pejo

Everyone should watch the Adam Ruins Everything Christmas episode. The show itself is hit or miss for me, but that was a great episode on exactly how misguided Christmas being a holy day actually is.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That's how these things work OP, I think you have a chance to avoid all that if you shop only online.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I hate Christmas music, it's just too happy. My type of music needs some sadness or darkness in it.

highrider

Banned
I hate Christmas. It's the most depressing time of the year these days.
bro if you were in my area I’d invite you to the family throw down man. Remember Tiny Tim, at least you aren’t a street urchin from a Dickens story.

Top Bottom