• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: 5.44 millions NDS sold in japan

wow....

i was just assuming the DS was kicking butt when I was looking at all the sold out systems and games, but well, this, and some recent charts, just confirmed it for me.

Yea that is actually really low.. how is this possible..

Japans LTD is like 4.6million and US is like 2.8ish?

This is gotta be a bit off? (this japan only)????

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Thats fucking impressive. If someone would have told me that DS would have sold that many systems in a year before it was released i would never have believed them. It just goes to show that Nintendo are still strong competitiors.

Did Iwata mention GC sales or not?

Would it be a good idea for Nintendo to release a new DS model so soon then? I remember Reggie mentioning a new design (maybe to coincide with the release of the Rev?).

Deadly Monk said:
Would it be a good idea for Nintendo to release a new DS model so soon then? I remember Reggie mentioning a new design (maybe to coincide with the release of the Rev?).

Yes, i think holdin gback the people from other regions like the US is the design in some cases.

The new design would probably be more along the lines of the Micro. Mmm, pretty.
But that's going off topic.

Even if the Rev doesn't do as well as they hope, the handheld market will always save them. DS and GB for the win!

AniHawk

ziran said:
bloomberg.com is reporting 5.44 million sales:
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conews&tkr=7974:JP

which would indicate 780k sold dec 19-25th(?!?!)

inconceivable.jpg

That's gotta be off.

Yamauchi

Banned
If they have only shipped 780k more than the week before last's sales numbers then then entire stock should be exhausted by the end of this week.

At least the Rev will outsell the 360 in Japan.

How would a DS redesign fare against a PSP redesign? I mean if their launches were close together (again). Which company would that help more?

GhaleonEB

For reference - what has the PSP done since launch?

And this is flat-out amazing. I thought the DS would be a dud, mocked the "third pillar" strategy, and did not think Nintendo would hit their intended audience with it.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. I still think the Revolution looks silly, but with these numbers, I'm not going to second guess Nintendo's business savvy again.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
wow this is amazing no other way to put it, what Nintendo has created with the DS is a beast I mean if those numbers are truth.... jesus.

Jonnyram

Wow... further shipment info:
Nintendogs: 1.08 million
Brain Training: 1.38 million
Gentle brain flexing: 1.08 million
Animal Crossing: 1.27 million

Four million sellers in a year!

ziran

Jonnyram said:

that's really impressive!

i'm really happy to see animal crossing sell so well.

Sagitario

Jonnyram said:

No Mario Kart? :( ... Non-games FTW...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Holy shiznit Batman. Animal Crossing hasn't even been out for that long though right??? What about Mario Kart & Mario 64...how are they doing in Japan so far?

I'm thinking they should pre-load some kind of customizable Animal Crossing application (not a full game) into the Revolution, kinda like how PictoChat was pre-installed into each NDS. This could really help Revolution sell in Japan if the Animal Crossing following is THAT strong.

Kevtones

I work @ a low revenue Game Crazy store and if a title sells, 10+ titles during the holiday months, its a HUGE title. We have maybe 3-4 of those and they're Halo 2 like games usually (post-launch craziness). Animal Crossing has sold at least 50 in our store since its launch. Its nuts.

Top Bottom