• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jacob Geller: Why Does Metal Gear Rising Keep Getting More Popular?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance[a] is a 2013 action hack and slash game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Konami Digital Entertainment. Released for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Microsoft Windows, it is a spin-off in the Metal Gear series, and is set four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. In the game, players control Raiden, a cyborg who confronts the private military company Desperado Enforcement, with the gameplay focusing on fighting enemies using a sword and other weapons to perform combos and counterattacks. Through the use of Blade Mode, Raiden can cut cyborgs in slow motion and steal parts stored in their bodies. The series' usual stealth elements are also optional to reduce combat.

The game was originally being developed internally by Kojima Productions, who announced the game in 2009 under the title of Metal Gear Solid: Rising. However, the team met with difficulties in developing a game based on swordplay, so executive producer Hideo Kojima postponed its development until a solution could be found. The project resurfaced in late 2011 under its finalized title, with PlatinumGames as the new developer. The game underwent significant changes in its play mechanics and storyline under PlatinumGames' involvement, although Kojima Productions retained responsibility for the game's overall plot and Raiden's design.

Upon its worldwide release in February 2013, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was well received by critics, being praised for its sophisticated cutting system, its use of Metal Gear elements to complement the story despite the game's focus on action, its soundtrack, and its boss fights; some criticism was directed at its camera and the short length of the story mode. The game also enjoyed positive sales, with the PS3 and Steam versions selling an estimated total of more than 1.2 million copies. While those involved in the game's production have expressed desire to develop a sequel, such prospects have yet to come to fruition due to the conflicts between Konami and Kojima Productions.

metal-gear-rising-the-memes.gif

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Politics keeps getting dumber and closer to the game's politics.

We need a sequel or Kojima needs this kind of game to be his new project.
We never actually saw Solidous in action as president…for all we know he could have been a loud mouthed populist ranting about the Deep State when it was the La Li Lu Le Lo and the Patriots the whole time?

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
It is the only game I know that most of its battle soundtracks has at least a million views per song on youtube with some tracks hitting 25m views .. The OST is more popular than the game itself

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't like the game much.

I bought it on Series S a few months ago when it was like 4 bucks. I don't like the camera, the mashy combat and the ranking system, its very hard to save civilians in time. Don't feel the secondary weapon system as well. Level design is absolutely horrible and bland.

I rather play Bayonetta or DMC, with somewhat obvious combos and launchers, and evasions tied to a single button essentially. I remember replaying DMC4 on PS3 way back, and was shocked at how much better that game actually looked than MGR.

Its too bad there isn't a sequel. I think the game had potential.

Last edited:
Yaah i love platinum, but the games pretty poor imo, definitely one of platinums rushed games (like there teenage mutant ninja turtle game and transformers) but i find it hilarious at the time it got announced because everyone was hating on the game so much now its a literal meme game

Gandih42

Loved pretty much everything about the game. The gameplay, the dumb over the top story, the cast of weird and wacky characters, in particular the ending and Senator Armstrong, holy shit.

I wish it would be made available on modern consoles so I could play it again (or at least add it to the never ending backlog of games).

Alx

Wow, I forgot parry even existed in that game. I probably never used it.
I'm pretty sure parrying is the most viable (or only?) strategy to beat one of the bosses (fuzzy memory, but "the one teleporting in the mist" comes to mind).
I did like the game a lot (only one in the MGS saga that fits my tasts), but I never finished it, I stopped at the 2nd or 3rd transformation of the final boss. Not worth the frustration.

Last edited:
One of my favorite games of all time. Spent so much time getting all the achievements, will definitely go back to it again in the near future.

Hope we can somehow get a sequel one day.

Loved pretty much everything about the game. The gameplay, the dumb over the top story, the cast of weird and wacky characters, in particular the ending and Senator Armstrong, holy shit.

I wish it would be made available on modern consoles so I could play it again (or at least add it to the never ending backlog of games).

It should be backwards compatible on Xbox One / Series S / Series X.

Last edited:

SomeGit

It is the only game I know that most of its battle soundtracks has at least a million views per song on youtube with some tracks hitting 25m views .. The OST is more popular than the game itself
There's also

Wow, I forgot parry even existed in that game. I probably never used it.
It was pretty much essential to beat the game, I don't know how to even get pass Monsoon without it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think its largely is due to the whole "Is Kojima Nostradamus?" As the years go on, more and more of whats presented in this game seem to click into place. We are largely now constrained by the technology of our time, but once cybernetics advance far enough I have no doubt many more of the bullet points of this title will slot neatly into place.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm pretty sure parrying is the most viable (or only?) strategy to beat one of the bosses (fuzzy memory, but "the one teleporting in the mist" comes to mind).
I did like the game a lot (only one in the MGS saga that fits my tasts), but I never finished it, I stopped at the 2nd or 3rd transformation of the final boss. Not worth the frustration.

There's also

It was pretty much essential to beat the game, I don't know how to even get pass Monsoon without it.

Well now we know who only played the game on Normal :messenger_unamused:
:goog_grinning_sweat:You all probably right, maybe I used it I don't know, I don't remember too much of it. It was a great game though(except that Armstrong boss who throws rocks at you).

I usually choose difficulties above normal by the way:goog_sneaky: But after Souls series, every dev tries their best to fck players at highest difficulties so I'm usually staying between normal and hardest but avoiding hardest(especially if there is no option to change difficulty mid playthrough).

Gandih42

One of my favorite games of all time. Spent so much time getting all the achievements, will definitely go back to it again in the near future.

Hope we can somehow get a sequel one day.

It should be backwards compatible on Xbox One / Series S / Series X.

Oh that's awesome, thanks for the info! I'm unfortunately on PlayStation and don't have that awesome level of backwards compatibility, haha. Maybe one day.

A sequel would be great, I hope some day Konami will one day stop being so ridiculous about its videogame IPs.

RaduN

Good, addictive fighting system.
Nothing much in terms of lore, story (well..except for what was already there from the main series that is), graphics.

Still one of the better action games of that time.

Oh that's awesome, thanks for the info! I'm unfortunately on PlayStation and don't have that awesome level of backwards compatibility, haha. Maybe one day.

A sequel would be great, I hope some day Konami will one day stop being so ridiculous about its videogame IPs.

PSNow seems to be the only option on Playstation.

I don't like the game much.

I bought it on Series S a few months ago when it was like 4 bucks. I don't like the camera, the mashy combat and the ranking system, its very hard to save civilians in time. Don't feel the secondary weapon system as well. Level design is absolutely horrible and bland.

I rather play Bayonetta or DMC, with somewhat obvious combos and launchers, and evasions tied to a single button essentially. I remember replaying DMC4 on PS3 way back, and was shocked at how much better that game actually looked than MGR.

Its too bad there isn't a sequel. I think the game had potential.
The funny thing is you can easily save the civilians by throwing grenades/shooting rocket launchers close to them so that the splash damage knocks down the enemies around them. For some reason that won’t hurt the civilian. You just have to be careful not to hit them with melee attacks but usually the enemy AI will focus on you after the explosion hits them.

It may not be as polished as other games you mentioned, as it had a really rushed, rebooted development time of like a year and a half I believe. For that short of a dev cycle I think it’s crazy how good it was and I love the Parry mechanic; it made it pretty unique amongst action games of its kind.

Guilty_AI

I've seen this analysis before but can't say i like it too much, towards the end you can see he's basically imprinting whatever he wants into the game. Thats fine to a degree but still detracts from the overall analysis.

As for the sudden surge in popularity, that probably has more to do with some popular youtubers bringing the game to light again. This video specifically matches the time when the game started to trend again. Couple with its memeable (lol) nature and you have what you have.

Last edited:

Larxia

Amazing game, it was one of the most satisfying games I ever played.

I don't really know how to explain it but I think it's one of those games where people have to love pure action to enjoy it. I know a lot of people who don't particularly get hyped when action in games get intense, they just do what they are asked by the game to do and move on, but some other people who really love this will get an intense feeling of satisfaction when the action gets crazy, the song with the lyrics start playing during the boss fights and you use the full potential of the gameplay to do crazy stuff.
It's a feeling that might do nothing for some, but for the ones it speaks to, it's an incredible and rare experience. Platinum Games, when they make good games, are really good at this.

Fbh

Because it's awesome. Fun combat, nice music, nice pacing, short but with good replayability cool bosses and the story and characters are ridiculous in the best way.

The_hunter

I've seen this analysis before but can't say i like it too much, towards the end you can see he's basically imprinting whatever he wants into the game. Thats fine to a degree but still detracts from the overall analysis.

As for the sudden surge in popularity, that probably has more to do with some popular youtubers bringing the game to light again. This video specifically matches the time when the game started to trend again. Couple with its memeable (lol) nature and you have what you have.
That video has 5 cuts every second, why..

I played it when it came out, it was ok. Wish we had got that tech demo as a full game. I guess it's topical since armstrong looks like trump.

Last edited:
I just want at least one other game to attempt the slomo/slicing mechanics that this game had. It was a very fun gameplay loop and most importantly it didn't outstay it's welcome.

Top Bottom