• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4 was once ‘running beautifully’ on Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will include it in the MGS Master Collection vol. 2 or whatever it is. It will probably need more extra work than vol. 1, but I'm pretty sure they will do it.
Lol no chance, the game will have to be completely remade, 20 hour cutscenes and all, with that much work, they may aswell, remake it fully,

RaduN

Afaik the game used uncompressed audio and a lot of video could have been done in-engine.
The game was an exercise in filling up a blueray disc to the brim.
99% of MGS4 videos are in-engine/realtime, rendered on the fly. There are only 2 cutscenes that are pre-rendered. Even the power-point style presentations are in-engine, because otherwise, the game would have been ~ 200 gb.

Fbh

Being a platform fanboy while working for a big third party developer seems so weird to me.
Why wouldn't you want as many people as possible to play the game you are likely going to spend years of your life working on?

I guess I get it if you are working for a first party studio and there's that sort of competitivity of making your platform the best and beating the competition. But as a third party studio?

Kilau

First time we have heard it was running "smoothly"...which suggests it may have run better on the 360 like most third party games back then. Its a real shame as its likely the game would have been playable on the x1/series consoles. Maybe even enhanced. But its stuck on PS3. Lets see if Konami do anything with it soon.....
Games that lead on PS3 and ported to 360 were pretty much even.
MGSV ran better on the 360 after all:

The cut scenes did but gameplay they are essentially the same.

You'll note that even in basic traversal there is some stutter, and that the Xbox 360 advantage we saw earlier can vanish. It's at this point that the two versions start to feel very similar.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Unsurprising considering that most cross-platform games were generally running with more stable framerates on the 360. I mean, honestly, trying to play anything on the PS3 these days makes me wonder how the hell we were ever able to stomach these afwul framerate dips and lack of anti-aliasing.

All they had to do was downrez the cutscenes and it would have fit on just a couple of discs. Or do like Quantum Break and give the option of just streaming cutscenes and not having them on physical media at all.

Darsxx82

Yup. I played the ps3 version at a event I attended for the company. Ran smoothly.
LOL. That version was leaked and of course it worked anything but "smooth". Really Epic only used it as a test of improvements and advances of the UE 3 that Gears always offered with each edition. There was certainly no version proper on PS3.

Three

I honestly think this was party made by epic so Microsoft would shit their pants and buy the IP off them. Maybe not and they did want to release it on ps3 and cash in the extra sales.

I think a release/announcement was imminent. I remember Shu teasing something "Epic" at the time when the rumours of the build were going around then nothing really happened except an announcement later that MS/Phil bought the IP from Epic.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

You should apply for the sales and marketing-position.

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Logistically I can see a game shipping on six disc a nightmare. That is collector edition-levels of risk.
it also wouldn't have run on those "arcade" xbox 360 bullshit editions with no hard drive and the ones they shipped with only like 4gb flash memory. Lose/lose scenario for konami

Drew1440

Could have been possible, and would have only required 4 discs at the most. For whatever reason they decided to encode the FMV's in MPEG2 which was very inefficient compared to MPEG4-AVC, instead they could use WMV that was supported on the Xbox 360.

Final Fantasy 13 was another game that made full use of the PS3's bluray disc, yet it got ported to the Xbox 360 with minor changes.

Being a platform fanboy while working for a big third party developer seems so weird to me.
Why wouldn't you want as many people as possible to play the game you are likely going to spend years of your life working on?

I guess I get it if you are working for a first party studio and there's that sort of competitivity of making your platform the best and beating the competition. But as a third party studio?
I think it would be pretty easy to fall in love with a single platform as a developer. You only have to get your game working on the one system. There's no hassle of needing to find solutions that play nice with everything. You have a single, consistent spec base to work from. There's no mid-project goalpost shift where you now have to support something else as well. A ton of variables just get jettisoned from the equation.

Honey Bunny

Could have been possible, and would have only required 4 discs at the most. For whatever reason they decided to encode the FMV's in MPEG2 which was very inefficient compared to MPEG4-AVC, instead they could use WMV that was supported on the Xbox 360.

Final Fantasy 13 was another game that made full use of the PS3's bluray disc, yet it got ported to the Xbox 360 with minor changes.
I remember people complaining about how shitty the prerendered cutscenes in XIII looked on the 360

OCASM

Banned
I think it would be pretty easy to fall in love with a single platform as a developer. You only have to get your game working on the one system. There's no hassle of needing to find solutions that play nice with everything. You have a single, consistent spec base to work from. There's no mid-project goalpost shift where you now have to support something else as well. A ton of variables just get jettisoned from the equation.
I wonder how much love they really had for it:

Mr. Takabe literally introduced the technology adopted in "MGS4", its implementation history, and the implementation process, but it was revealed that it was a battle with restrictions and restrictions everywhere. It was shocking. The point is that instead of ``I considered implementing it but gave up,'' it was a series of painful decisions, ``I implemented it but it was impossible on PS3, so I had to try another method.'' .

They will include it in the MGS Master Collection vol. 2 or whatever it is. It will probably need more extra work than vol. 1, but I'm pretty sure they will do it.
Came in to say this. After seeing the Volume 1 at the end of that MGS collection I'll eat my fucking hat if Volume 2 doesn't come with 4, and the handheld games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MGS4 being on the 360 would have meant we could have had an FPS boosted or Res enhanced BC version available right now.

What a waste.

adamsapple

4K60fps MGS4 :messenger_loudly_crying: why wasn't it meant to be?

Oh yeah, the game always had an unlocked frame rate if I'm not mistaken? Even without any enhancements, it would/could have been a 720p/locked 60 like GTA IV is now.

What could have been. Now we're just twiddling our thumbs hoping that an eventual Vol 2. includes MGS4.

Banned
Oh yeah, the game always had an unlocked frame rate if I'm not mistaken? Even without any enhancements, it would/could have been a 720p/locked 60 like GTA IV is now.

What could have been. Now we're just twiddling our thumbs hoping that an eventual Vol 2. includes MGS4.

it had a 60fps cap using a double buffer Vsync, that meant it would snap to 20, 30 and 60fps. it rarely went to 60fps tho, it usually spend most of its time at 20 or 30fps.
the game ran really badly on PS3

the Xbox One X would have totally locked it to 60fps for many parts I bet, just like it did with GRAW out of nowhere lol

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
MGS4 being on the 360 would have meant we could have had an FPS boosted or Res enhanced BC version available right now.

What a waste.

I was thinking how different things would be if Microsoft would have waited a year so that the Xbox 360 could have launched with Blu-ray support, but I think Microsoft needed that year advantage to really cement themselves in the industry. As beneficial as it would have been to have the now-dominant format, they may have fizzled out entirely if Sony had released their console at the same time.

I am so mad that Microsoft squandered all of their goodwill from the Xbox 360 era in the Xbox One era. The Xbox One is the only console I truly regret purchasing (and I had purchased the oft-scoffed Wii-U). Technological deficits aside, the Xbox 360 was one of my favorite consoles of all time. I think for me, it is:
  1. PlayStation 2
  2. Xbox 360
  3. PlayStation 1
  4. Xbox Series X
  5. PlayStation Portable/Vita
    • Even with the Vita being considered a flop by many, it had the ability to play PlayStation Portable titles, so it was still a success to me in that regard. If you think of the Vita as a mid-gen refresh of the PlayStation Portable, it's actually pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Banned
I was thinking how different things would be if Microsoft would have waited a year so that the Xbox 360 could have launched with Blu-ray support, but I think Microsoft needed that year advantage to really cement themselves in the industry. As beneficial as it would have been to have the now-dominant format, they may have fizzled out entirely if Sony had released their console at the same time.

I am so mad that Microsoft squandered all of their goodwill from the Xbox 360 era in the Xbox One era. The Xbox One is the only console I truly regret purchasing (and I had purchased the oft-scoffed Wii-U). Technological deficits aside, the Xbox 360 was one of my favorite consoles of all time. I think for me, it is:
  1. PlayStation 2
  2. Xbox 360
  3. PlayStation 1
  4. Xbox Series X
  5. PlayStation Portable/Vita
    • Even with the Vita being considered a flop by many, it had the ability to play PlayStation Portable titles, so it was still a success to me in that regard. If you think of the Vita as a mid-gen refresh of the PlayStation Portable, it's actually pretty awesome.

honestly, there were maybe a handful of games tops that made any real use of those Blurays.

what they actually should have done is have an internal HD-DVD drive, because even tho the format failed in the movie market, the larger discs would still have been really good media for games with larger sizes.

Last edited:

adamsapple

honestly, there were maybe a handful of games TOPS that made any real use of those Blurays.

what they actually should have done is have an internal HD-DVD drive, because even tho the format failed in the movie market, the larger discs would still have been really good media for games with larger sizes.

I don't think even that would have been needed. The biggest benefit/advantage of the BR was higher bit-rate video files, which 360/PS3 games absolutely used a shit ton of. But ingenious developers found ways around it. Darksiders 1 has a ton of video files but their developer opted to use a better/custom encoder instead of the tried and tested Bink. The end result was the 360 version being on a 6~GB DVD matching the FMV quality of a 20GB PS3 version,

Banned

IFireflyl

Gold Member
honestly, there were maybe a handful of games tops that made any real use of those Blurays.

The problem is that HD-DVD also came out after the Xbox 360 launched. The Xbox 360 launched at the end of 2005, but HD-DVD didn't come out until the second quarter of 2006. For as much as Microsoft needed that extra year of virtually no competition, it really hosed them in the hardware department, at least for disc drives. They did release a standalone HD-DVD accessory after the fact, but that didn't actually read game discs. It was only so people could play their HD-DVD movies with their Xbox 360. That accessory was "too little; too late" anyway, so it is unsurprising that it wasn't a success. I wondered why the Xbox 360 slim didn't come with an HD-DVD drive, but I figure the reason for that was that it would be too confusing for customers as they would need to release some games on the HD-DVD format, and others on the DVD-9 format. That would have resulted in some P.R. backlash, I'm sure.

One thing that Microsoft did for me with the Xbox 360, though, was to sell me on their controllers. The Xbox 360 controller was my controller of choice up until the Xbox Series controllers. Those controllers beat the hell out of the PlayStation controllers in terms of how they feel in my hands. The PlayStation 5's DualSense controller was the first controller that Sony released which actually felt (to me) like a competitor to the Xbox 360/Series controllers, but I still prefer my Xbox Series controllers. Almost all of my gaming is PC gaming now, and I have two Xbox Series controllers with rechargeable battery packs that I use to play games. I absolutely love them.

Banned
The problem is that HD-DVD also came out after the Xbox 360 launched. The Xbox 360 launched at the end of 2005, but HD-DVD didn't come out until the second quarter of 2006. For as much as Microsoft needed that extra year of virtually no competition, it really hosed them in the hardware department, at least for disc drives. They did release a standalone HD-DVD accessory after the fact, but that didn't actually read game discs. It was only so people could play their HD-DVD movies with their Xbox 360. That accessory was "too little; too late" anyway, so it is unsurprising that it wasn't a success. I wondered why the Xbox 360 slim didn't come with an HD-DVD drive, but I figure the reason for that was that it would be too confusing for customers as they would need to release some games on the HD-DVD format, and others on the DVD-9 format. That would have resulted in some P.R. backlash, I'm sure.

One thing that Microsoft did for me with the Xbox 360, though, was to sell me on their controllers. The Xbox 360 controller was my controller of choice up until the Xbox Series controllers. Those controllers beat the hell out of the PlayStation controllers in terms of how they feel in my hands. The PlayStation 5's DualSense controller was the first controller that Sony released which actually felt (to me) like a competitor to the Xbox 360/Series controllers, but I still prefer my Xbox Series controllers. Almost all of my gaming is PC gaming now, and I have two Xbox Series controllers with rechargeable battery packs that I use to play games. I absolutely love them.

the standard was complete and ready way before then tho.
I bet it would have been possible to get a drive into the 360 if they worked with Toshiba.

the first players released in march 2006, so only 4 months after the 360.
I bet the cost was a bigger factor than the launch window of the format.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's what happen when Hollywood directors wannabes make games, they don't accept that games are not movies and won't make compromises in cutscenes quality for gameplay or any other more important reason... They could just make them in engine but no, they rather skipped the other way more popular platform lol

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think even that would have been needed. The biggest benefit/advantage of the BR was higher bit-rate video files, which 360/PS3 games absolutely used a shit ton of. But ingenious developers found ways around it. Darksiders 1 has a ton of video files but their developer opted to use a better/custom encoder instead of the tried and tested Bink. The end result was the 360 version being on a 6~GB DVD matching the FMV quality of a 20GB PS3 version,
that link literally says the PS3 version looks better though

also cursed because they allude to ff13 which was not a very good port on 360.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
the standard was complete and ready way before then tho.
I bet it would have been possible to get a drive into the 360 if they worked with Toshiba.

the first players released in march 2006, so only 4 months after the 360.
I bet the cost was a bigger factor than the launch window of the format.

You're probably right. I was looking it up, and Bill Gates announced the HD-DVD accessory at CES 2006. That was only a few months after the Xbox 360 launched, so I think that makes it pretty obvious that Microsoft had to have partnered with Toshiba pretty early on.

The Xbox 360 HD-DVD accessory didn't release until November of 2006, though. That means it came out at the same time that the PlayStation 3 launched. Considering that the launch price was $199, and the Xbox 360 cost $399, I would imagine that people would have just opted for the $499 PlayStation 3 (or $599 if they wanted the extra storage) since it had a Blu-ray player built in. Curiouser and curiouser.

Arioco

Probably devs could've fit the game in 4 discs, which isn't something unheard of for a 360 game. Hardly an "impossible port" when we've seen things like Resident Evil 2 running on N64 (two 700 MB-discs squeezed into a single 64 MB-cartridge).

And I'm sure it would've run beautifully on 360 indeed. Back then games often performed better on 360, or had better IQ, or even both

Too bad it looks like MGS IV will be stuck on PS3 forever.

Why do you find it weird? They're gamers just like us with their own biases and preferences. Heck, two of my buddies who are working in the industry at a big publisher with roles as rendering engineer, respectively art director are huge PlayStation fanboys.

RaduN

That's what happen when Hollywood directors wannabes make games, they don't accept that games are not movies and won't make compromises in cutscenes quality for gameplay or any other more important reason... They could just make them in engine but no, they rather skipped the other way more popular platform lol
What!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom