• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
First things first:
Ls7oX.png

A NEW YEAR. LET'S LOOK AT LAST YEAR, DAVE!
TYJtX.jpg

The First Annual WrassleGAF Awards!

Best WWE Wrestler:
Winner: Daniel Bryan

Daniel Bryan takes this award, far and away, with almost no real competition to speak of. Considering his closest rival was the man who held the WWE Championship the entire year, it's notable how much Bryan and risen above what was expected and truly is the breakout star of 2012.

Best Non-WWE Wrestler:
Winner: Austin Aries
Austin Aries had some of TNA's best matches all year, and "grew up" into his position, earning this award. He's one to watch, and if you don't watch him, you need to.

Best Female Wrestler:
Winner: AJ and Eve (tie)
Baffled how AJ Lee made this list. Eve at least tries, but I...I just can't defend any of this.

Best Tag Team:
Winner: Hell No
It's obvious when people are ignoring TNA, because Hell No was nice, but no Kaz and Daniels. Hell No was fun, though, and paired an unlikely set of pals together for comedy. Who said comedic wrestling is dead? Next year you'll just vote for Santino and Albert.

Best on the Mic:
Winner: CM Punk
When CM Punk picks up the mic, people listen. People were concerned about Punk and Heyman being too much of a power team on the mic, but these two have delivered.

Comeback of the Year:
Winner: Brock Lesnar
In a strange twist, Brock Lesnar's jobbing to John Cena didn't kill his comeback. He showed up after Wrestlemania and immediately feuded with Cena in one of the most thought-out angles the WWE is capable of. They delivered a truly great match, which people didn't expect much of - until Triple H wanted his piece of the pie. If anyone ever had doubts about Triple H being a glory hound, let them rest.

Worst On-Screen Personality:
Winner: The Miz
The Miz went from being REALLY good in 2010 to being one of the worst in 2012. Everything the Miz touches somehow turns to shit. Why? Is it the scripts he reads off of? Is it when someone takes a hard left turn in a promo, he's completely lost and looks like a fool? The Miz has nowhere to go but up right now, but he can't even find the ladder to climb out of the pool of shit he's in.

Most Underutilized Performer:
Winner: Tyson Kidd
Poor Tyson Kidd. A lifetime of training with the greatest legends of yore. What's that get you? A spot on Superstars. Truly a tragedy for one of the finest wrestlers left in the WWE.

WWE Match of the Year:
Winner: Ryback, Kane, and Daniel Bryan vs The Shield from TLC
Everyone has a hardon for that Amblows fellow and it shows in how little your minds remember! Despite far superior matches, this flash in the pan managed to...I can't lie, it was a good match. Nay, great - and it shows that the Shield can work their way to a spectacular match with even Ryback!

Non-WWE Match of the Year:
Winner: Austin Aries vs Bobby Roode, Destination X
Having not seen this match, I cannot offer any commentary on how it played out. I bet it was good. You guys thought so.

Best Gimmick:
Winner: Damien Sandow
Strangely, Damien Sandow's "I am smart" gimmick is all you need to go to the top. Monster like Ryback that eats? Nope. Fandango time to dance? Nuh uh. Let's go with a guy who is smart and cultured. Could be worse. Could be...

pReVL.png

Most Improved:
Winner: Titus O'Neill and Ryback (tie)
"Wow, he is REALLY bad" is what people thought of Titus O'Neill - then he got a mic in his hand and got ridiculous. Ryback was an abortion in the Nexus storyline of a couple years back, due to injury, and we all expected him to fall flat on his face with his repackaging as Ryback - but he ended up holding his own. Not excelling, but holding his own. Both deserve kudos for improvement.

Fall from Grace:
Winner: Chris Jericho
So much promise in that jacket - left behind in a hastily done feud with CM Punk and then Ziggler - and the Ziggler angle didn't really go anywhere. Take another year or two off, Chris, and wait until the WWE is ready.

Best Angle:
Winner: Formation of Hell No
Like I said earlier, you marks want comedy, not wrestling. Harrumph!

Worst Angle:
Winner: AJ Lee Gets Around
In a horrid case of the double-standard, AJ Lee kissing multiple people upset most of you. Never mind Claire Lynch (who came in at a close second) but AJ? Oh no. How dare she! To be fair, her angles have been really bad. REALLY bad. Well deserved.

Best Pay-Per-View:
Winner: Extreme Rules
Extreme Rules had a couple match of the year candidates in Brock vs Cena and Punk vs Jericho, and Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan. Overall one of the best PPVs the WWE has put on, and well worth watching the whole damn thing.

Moment that made you ashamed to be a wrestling fan:
Winner: Anything involving AJ/Vickie/Cena
There's that moment when you PRAY nobody else sees you watching this shit - I mean, we all love wrestling, but there's times when you want to disown it. These three together make me want to turn around and walk away.

Best Hope for 2013:
Winner: Antonio Cesaro
Despite Dean Ambrose being a hot prospect, people are already seeing the potential of Antonio Cesaro being realized, and have cast their lots with Cesaro being the chosen one to bring wrestling out of the cave it's currently in. Give us more!

Time to Retire in 2013:
Winner: The Undertaker
Never mind his "war" with Triple H - people just don't want to see Undertaker get hurt or have a shitty 'last match' - get out when the getting is good, Takes!

GIF of the Year:
Winner: yesyesyes.gif
tumblr_m1qm412xBO1qcohh8.gif

Sums things up pretty well. Bryan has overcome a roster, and now overcomes the butt jiggle touch gif to take the win.

iNszrvMxb0t0X.gif

The biggest news of the year no doubt was DAVE BATISTA winning his first MMA fight. Yep, and it's probably his last.

Wait...What's with the title? Wrestle Kingdom?
Oh yes. Let me just take Bootaaay's post here...

NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING, "WRESTLE KINGDOM 7 ~EVOLUTION~ IN TOKYO DOME", 04.01.2013
Tokyo Dome

17:00 JST | 09:00 CET | 08:00 GMT | 03:00 EST | 01:00 PST

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/njpw1972 - pre-order for $35

ibzRxTGwb2rKKV.png

iwWQFrdm0cIkL.jpg

iXe0U5C0SphEs.jpg

iKtDcik9FE4h5.jpg

ijNJIPTAQWOD6.jpg

ingxY3i10rpWx.jpg

iS2HcrEHJkkEs.jpg

iBrk20zcuFdXY.jpg

iGn0UAsHlOxe1.jpg

iokj0oFVbsjAM.jpg

It's looking to be a FANTASTIC show to MAKE SURE TO SUPPORT IT BY BUYING IT! Watch it live, watch it late, it doesn't matter--just watch it!

BUT WAIT, THE BEST OF THE INDIES 2012?!

Bootaaay has done a Best of the Indies 2012 for those of you who keep up with indie wrestling! If not, it's a great blueprint for where to start and get into indie wrestling! Here are the results...

MVP of the Indies
Winner: El Generico

Promotion of the Year
Winner: Dragon Gate USA

Match of the Year
Winner: Davey Richards (c) vs Michael Elgin - ROH Showdown in the Sun: Night 2

iPPV of the Year
Winner: CHIKARA Season 11 Finale - Under the Hood

DVD/VOD/MP4 of the Year
Winner: PWG - Threemendous III

Rising Star of the Year
Winner: Samuray Del Sol

Rookie of the Year
Winner: 'Mr. Touchdown' Mark Angelosetti

Best Technical Wrestler
Winner: Sami Callihan

Best High Flyer
Winner: Samuray Del Sol

Angle of the Year
Winner: Kevin Steen returns to 'save' ROH

Most Improved Wrestler
Winner: Adam Cole

Most Improved Promotion
Winner: Dragon Gate USA

Best Women's Wrestler
Winner: Jazz & Sara Del Rey (tied)

Fighting Spirit Award
Winner: Lance Storm

Recaps?!

Yes, we have recaps! If you want to see the absolute shit that WCW did in 2000, our very own Strobogo has been watching EVERY Nitro and Thunder in 2000, and posting reviews! You can find his archive at http://wcw2000.tumblr.com or just keep up in the thread!

However, a new challenger appears! User The Fronde has been reviewing WWE PPVs of yore as well! Keep your eyes peeled, you too can enjoy writeups and screengrabs like this!

1ael8.png

BY NOT-SO-POPULAR DEMAND - WHAT IS THE GWF????

YP0Bk.png

The GWF is an e-wrasslin' stream with WWE 13 I do from time to time that incorporate the WrassleGAF community and their feuds. It's silly fun. They take place at one time - immediately following Raw, and we're in the midst of Season 2 - tune in and enjoy!

Tune in on Monday nights at http://twitch.tv/sunnybuns - previous shows are archived there as well!

Pumped for wrestle kingdom . Njpw e has been money last few ippv.

Also who are the returns for th rumble .

I think swagger and taker .

Legends wise I have no idea

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
hope Okada wins the title and it leads to a super long feud with a returning Naito.

It's pretty amazing how much weight is put on Okada's shoulders if you think about it. The guy's only 24, and he's in the biggest event in Japanese wrestling, and he's wrestling the most popular guy in Japanese wrestling currently for the most important title in Japanese wrestling.

Kaladin

I'm doubting if I'll be able to watch Wrestle Kingdom live.....3 am on Friday morning? I'm gonna have to get to sleep as soon as I get off work and set my alarm to wake up and catch it.....otherwise I'll be watching it over the weekend.

Should we set up a WrassleGaf viewing party on Saturday for those who can't watch live?

Goldust on Twitter is great

cx8aU.png

Yes, she tweeted her phone number to John Cena and asked "no one text this number but john plz"

Entropia

No One Remembers
HOW THE FUCK DID EVE TIE FOR FEMALE WRASSLER OF THE YEAR?!?

WrassleGaf, so much disappointment right now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't see it but there's no way it was better than the Punk vs Bryan matches earlier in the year.

Punk v Bryan was 3rd place, 2nd was Lesnar vs Cena

Yeah, I'm more upset that she tied with AJ. AJ isn't anything.

I didn't see it but there's no way it was better than the Punk vs Bryan matches earlier in the year.

It was pretty good. A solid hardcore match with lots of fun spots.

How Jericho got voted fall from grace makes no sense to me. Zack Ryder should have won that easily.

Also, non WWE MOTY is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It was, honestly. Punk/Bryan was great, but the 6 man had the benefit of blowing everyone's expectations away. We all expect Punk/Bryan to be a great match.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think the TLC was the match of the year. It was really good for that kind of match, but TLC matches aren't really good matches on a second or third view. The Punk/D-Bryne or 2/3 falls match at Extreme Rules are better for sure. That isn't a shot at the TLC match. It was awesome.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I have to admit that I haven't watched anything wrestling related (outside of GWF) in weeks. Honestly, if RAW had spoilers, I would never watch it, either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the TLC was the match of the year. It was really good for that kind of match, but TLC matches aren't really good matches on a second or third view. The Punk/D-Bryne or 2/3 falls match at Extreme Rules are better for sure. That isn't a shot at the TLC match. It was awesome.

I think it was too fresh in everyone's minds. But that's just the way it goes.

Lesnar vs Cena hands down. Aheeeeehee ehee.

I have to admit that I haven't watched anything wrestling related (outside of GWF) in weeks. Honestly, if RAW had spoilers, I would never watch it, either.

GWF's storylines keep you coming back!

strobogo

Banned
I think it was too fresh in everyone's minds. But that's just the way it goes.

Lesnar vs Cena hands down. Aheeeeehee ehee.

Lesnar/Cena was so awesome. It was just as crazy on multiple viewings, too. It bums me out so much that Brock wasn't at least a semi regular after that. I would have loved to see him wrecking fools every few weeks.

Penguin

Well Raw has spoilers this week!

3-hour shows are interesting
It means we get more wrestling, but it also makes it feel so much longer week to week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lesnar/Cena was so awesome. It was just as crazy on multiple viewings, too. It bums me out so much that Brock wasn't at least a semi regular after that. I would have loved to see him wrecking fools every few weeks.

The finish of the match pretty much ruined that. While I'm okay with the finish, I still think Lesnar going over could have given Cena a bit of a revitalization (as a loser!) and kept Lesnar much stronger.

Unsure if it was the original booking plan, or if it was Vince trying to cut Lesnar down to size. "I can do what I want!" for 5 million, I'll lay down too. Vince got fucked on that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lol Eve.
If you guys are going to vote for that awful creature, why don't you just vote for the woman she rips off.
tumblr_m8k853f4dK1qd4d8u.gif

somedevil

Well what grade would people give WWE for 2012? Another famous forum did and they seem alot more positive then here:

A+ (Excellent) (2 votes, 2.7%)
A (2 votes, 2.7%)
A- (Very Good) (4 votes, 5.4%)
B+ (12 votes, 16.4%)
B (Good) (20 votes, 27.3%)
B- (5 votes, 6.8%)
C+ (12 votes, 16.4%)
C (Satisfactory) (1 vote, 1.3%)
C- (6 votes, 8.2%)
D+ (0 votes, 0%)
D (Needs Improvement) (7 votes, 9.5%)
D- (1 vote, 1.3%)
E (For Effort) (0 votes, 0%)
F (The suckiest piece of suck that ever sucked) (1 vote, 1.3%)

Plus here is Christopher Daniels gif that I think should get some use around here.

9V3wM.gif

Almost none of my choices won an award, and yet I'm satisfied with most of the winning choices. This is the only sore spot for me:

That's that shit I don't like!

But whatever. A new year leads to renewed hope, new talent, new angles and hundreds of new Pages.

Sara del ray's matchs with aja kong and el generico were awesome. but she left to work on NXT.

my pick would be Portia Perez.

aj has been crap for most half a year, im more suprised she was high up

Top Bottom