• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 13 - 19 June

Shao

Japanese may well be getting bored with the staple PS2 brand of gaming as Nintendo keep telling us. The famous RPGs aside.

In fact I was watching an anime the other day which had a little kid say "yeah polygon games are no fun anymore"

Thought it was funny considering the discussions/reports we've been hearing.

I don't know if me being Asian myself and sharing some cultural similarities has anything to do with it, but I kind of feel the same, I haven't even bothered touching Halo or the latest GTA games despite knowing they're all fantastic games, just can't be bothered. The DS has got me more excited about gaming since I have been since the SNES days and that says alot for how people like me feel about the current gaming industry. The GBA has hosted some of the few games I have a genuine emotional attachment to in recent years, games I wouldn't trade.

Frankly I coudldn't be happier that 2 new franchises that don't fit generic genres are doing so well on an innovative platform everyone had written off. If it had sunk, gaming wouldve been a much darker place for the next few years.

turok4n64

Banned
im in the US, and I feel as if If im in the same mood as the japanese gamers are...i haven't been excited about gaming in a long time...the promise of all these great DS games coming to America which Japan has gotten already is very exciting for me...I truly do want a gaming Revolution :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Zeo said:
Um, sorry, but that is trolling.

"brain shit" isn't trolling? Right.

And the fact that "a game like Nintendogs" is leading in the sales means that they like a good game. Your point?

Oh, and that has absolutely nothing to do with games going multiplatform.

No, it is not. Those aren't games in the purest sense. You don't get Nintendo thumb playing those. I'd consider that a game. I won't call these gimmicks either, but they aren't games in a traditional sense. Outside of that, these numbers are very low across the board. Furthermore, there are a lot of Japanese companies that only make games for Sony hardware. However, if they aren't making profit, they will port. I've read various times that more Japanese development houses are looking for outside outlets for their games. Konami is doing that with Castlevania for NA on the Xbox, Capcom has acknowledged that they need multi-platform. I was just wondering if this was a related issue. About the brain shit, the name slipped my mind, got lazy, called it brain shit. :D

Shao said:
I don't know if me being Asian myself and sharing some cultural similarities has anything to do with it, but I kind of feel the same, I haven't even bothered touching Halo or the latest GTA games despite knowing they're all fantastic games, just can't be bothered. The DS has got me more excited about gaming since I have been since the SNES days and that says alot for how people like me feel about the current gaming industry. The GBA has hosted some of the few games I have a genuine emotional attachment to in recent years, games I wouldn't trade.

This is exactly how I feel. I've basically grown bored of the current state of gaming, barely touching my PS2/Xbox/GameCube for a while now. That is not to say that there aren't a lot of good games coming out nor is it to say that I haven't been playing some (I had a tremendous amount of fun with Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and am currently enjoying Psychonauts among a few others.). I have just been more interested overall in my DS and GBA and am really excited about the future line-up of the DS. Right now I am addicted to Kirby Canvas Curse and Fire Emblem and just can't wait to get Meteos and many others. Personally, if the trend holds up, I can really relate to what is going on in the Japanese market. This all makes me curious to see how things will turn oun next gen on the home consoles.

Zeo

Banned
Just because it's not a "traditional game" doesn't mean it's not a game. I don't know much about the brain game, so I can't say. But there is a competition aspect to Nintendogs, it has a goal. It's still a GAME, just not a traditional game, obviously.

Rock_Man

Weekly average sales, April 11 - June 5 2005 (8 weeks)
Games released 2004:

NDS 3.8k Sawaru Made in Wario (19,21,30,20,35,31,39,34)
NDS 3.2k Super Mario 64 DS (18,27,34,22,43,38,50,47)
PSP 2.8k Minna no Golf Portable (16,28,40,33,24,28,36,26)
PSP 1.4k Shin Sangoku Musou (43,out)
NDS 1.4k Pokemon Dash (out)
NDS 0.8k Daigassou! Band Brothers (out)
PSP 0.7k Ridge Racers (out)

(title is followed by chart positions)

heidern

Band Brothers has been consistently outselling the 3rd biggest psp game ever in Japan even though it was released 10 days earlier? Ouch.

Rock_Man

Not by much. Band Brothers will catch up in 21 years if this is a trend :p

Also, DS software got a big boost in week 2 and 3 of this period when new colors were released.

Jonnyram

Quick preview of tomorrow's data...
According to Shinobi, Mushiking sold 200k, Coded Arms sold 10k, SP sales were 170% of last week's number. I guess he's using Enterbrain data, which would bring it to about 13k this week, so not that big a deal. Media Create could be higher, we'll see tomorrow.

There's a Band Brothers expansion cart coming out in the near future, so sales could pick up again.

Top Bottom