• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 20 - 26 June (free surprise inside!)

mj1108

Drinky Crow said:
The DS hasn't exactly sold to the demographic that likes military strategy games, unless yer little sister and her pals are closet Panzer General fiends.

...and the PSP hasn't exactly sold to the demographic that likes to play games. They like to watch movies and listen to music.

Kato

the_geche said:
Can somebody tell me what the hell is Mushi King?

Based on the Sega coin-op beetle card fighting game and the recent animated cartoon, the GBA version of King of Beetle MushiKing features insect fighting action of simple design. When two beetles face off, a timer counts down and the player hits buttons in a rocks-scissors-paper challenge. Win with rock to your opponent's scissor and your beetle will get to inflict first blood. The battle continues until the life bar of either beetle reaches zero. Skill cards may be picked up throughout the game to enhance the battle performance of the beetle with special throw, smash, and hold moves.

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/AGB-P-BK6J.html

arta050513.jpg

Here is the official page: http://mushiking.com/e/whats/index.html

Also found this
More than 160 million of the game cards have already been sold, and the game has spawned some 240 varieties of merchandise, from toys to notebooks. It has even been turned into a TV anime (cartoon) series. Mushiking products are already on sale in Singapore and Taiwan, and the game is set to arrive in North America by the end of the year. Some observers are predicting that Mushiking could eventually rival the Pokemon franchise

Ruzbeh

Banned
mrklaw said:
what level of kids? It'd be nice to have something my 4 year old can play.
If your kid can read and write, then, yeah I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 years old would be the minimum age for the game. I don't know that much, I've just seen a few screens somewhere.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
mj1108 said:
...and the PSP hasn't exactly sold to the demographic that likes to play games. They like to watch movies and listen to music.

...in a similar fashion, looking at the big numbers put up by brain-training software for DS, I wonder what to make of that! ;)
j/k!

mj1108

Kiriku said:
...in a similar fashion, looking at the big numbers put up by brain-training software for DS, I wonder what to make of that! ;)
j/k!

Maybe that DS owners are uneducated??? Who knows....

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DS - 32,789
PS2 - 28,515
GBASP - 21,904
PSP - 20,862
GC - 2,649
GBA - 452
Xbox - 184

YTD / LTD
DS - 1,036,367 / 2,531,963
PSP - 978,170 / 1,460,422
DS Lead - 58,197 / 1,071,541

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Fuzzy said:
DS - 32,789
PS2 - 28,515
GBASP - 21,904
PSP - 20,862
GC - 2,649
GBA - 452
Xbox - 184

My predections were:
DS: 31,000
PS2: 29,000
PSP: 22,000
GBASP: 19,000
GBA: 250
GC: 3,000
Xbox: 130

damn almost

polg

Fuzzy said:
DS - 32,789
PS2 - 28,515
GBASP - 21,904
PSP - 20,862
GC - 2,649
GBA - 452
Xbox - 184

YTD / LTD
thank you!

Shao

teiresias said:
And the Japanese market continues its slide into irrelevance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why is this irrelevant? Don't these weekly numbers the DS has been pulling match up quite evenly to those PSP numbers for May over in America?

AniHawk

Shao said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but why is this irrelevant? Don't these weekly numbers the DS has been pulling match up quite evenly to those PSP numbers for May over in America?

128k for DS in a month <<<<< 250k for PSP in a month.

NexusEggy

Banned
Fuzzy said:
DS - 32,789
PS2 - 28,515
GBASP - 21,904
PSP - 20,862
GC - 2,649
GBA - 452
Xbox - 184

YTD / LTD

what the hell caused the HUGE spike in SP sales

AniHawk

BuzzJive said:
Now that's a free surprise!

Alarm bells better be going off over at Sony HQ.

Yeah, with the system selling better than either one of the two Nintendo handhelds worldwide without a European launch, UMD sales taking off, and a pretty good tie ratio for a new system, they're on a quickly sinking ship. That's for sure.

Shao

AniHawk said:
Yeah, with the system selling better than either one of the two Nintendo handhelds worldwide without a European launch, UMD sales taking off, and a pretty good tie ratio for a new system, they're on a quickly sinking ship. That's for sure.

lol are those American numbers actually confirmed? Nintendo's sales combined beat out PSP sales though! :p

Bit hard to compare when USA figures are like a month behind though eh. DS June sales should be much better, the DS I pre-ordered was due to be in stock on the 1st July but its been pushed back to 5th due to demand (I assume).

Barrage

Look, it's the Anihawk damage control train, ready to bring worldwide numbers into a japan sales thread! Right on Time!

For those asking where the spike came from, it's all Mushiking, baby.

AniHawk

Shao said:
lol are those American numbers actually confirmed? Nintendo's sales combined beat out PSP sales though! :p

Bit hard to compare when USA figures are like a month behind though eh. DS June sales should be much better, the DS I pre-ordered was due to be in stock on the 1st July but its been pushed back to 5th due to demand (I assume).

Well here (SoCal) we had two preorders for electric blue. I sold one normal one, and we're currently sold out of DSes completely. First time it's happened since January. People are picking them up due to SM64DS, obviously. There's really nothing on the system until Animal Crossing and Mario Kart that the GBA audience really will latch onto.

AniHawk

Barrage said:
Look, it's the Anihawk damage control train, ready to bring worldwide numbers into a japan sales thread! Right on Time!

I just don't think that Sony should be too worried, as BuzzJive was suggesting. They might not have Japan completely, but neither did Sega, and they were hugely popular elsewhere around the world (for a few years).

BuzzJive

AniHawk said:

So last month, a launching system sold better than a system that's been out for 4 years OR a system that's in a post launch software slump? IMPRESSIVE!

You were probably one of those people that thought the DS would never outsell the PSP again in Japan - let alone the GBASP doing it now. It's nice you can keep hope alive.

I assure you that Sony wants to lead in Japan, and that coming in behind the GBASP was not part of their plan. Japan is the first region that has had time to settle in to consistent trends, with software coming out for both platforms. US and Europe will most likely follow a similar pattern.

AniHawk

BuzzJive said:
So last month, a launching system sold better than a system that's been out for 4 years OR a system that's in a post launch software slump? IMPRESSIVE!

How long will the PSP be launching?

I assure you that Sony wants to lead in Japan, and that coming in behind the GBASP was not part of their plan. Japan is the first region that has had time to settle in to consistent trends, with software coming out for both platforms.

The GC has outsold the PS2 once or twice in Japan. I don't think Sony was sweating bullets then.

US and Europe will most likely follow a similar pattern.

Different types of markets. I doubt it.

Shao

Chill out, PSP is probably going through said software slump in Japan right now, whilst the DS is going through undoubted hot period. The PSP could easily dominate the rest of the year though if Nintendo fucks up.

Same could be said for America. Only place I expect the DS to be whooped is Europe because we seem extra shallow and anti-Nintendo here....not to mention shitty support etc.

AniHawk

Shao said:
Chill out, PSP is probably going through said software slump in Japan right now, whilst the DS is going through undoubted hot period. The PSP could easily dominate the rest of the year though if Nintendo fucks up.

Same could be said for America. Only place I expect the DS to be whooped is Europe because we seem extra shallow and anti-Nintendo here....not to mention shitty support etc.

Plus the mod scene there is huge, isn't it?

Shao

hmm...I know the pirated game scene is huge, not so huge with PS2 as it was with PS1, but I dont see that taking off with PSP - strictly for the "nerds" from what I've seen. PS1 was mainstream, every kids console was chipped, PS2 was kind of mainstream but mainly for adults due to price ^^.

Isn't PSP modding mainly about emulation? Thats not so big here. We just want new games as cheap as possible. But DS and GBA is probably easier to pirate anyways.

Only place I expect the DS to be whooped is Europe because we seem extra shallow and anti-Nintendo here....not to mention shitty support etc.

But didn't the DS just have the most successful system launch ever over there? That's what the media said, anyway. I know Nintendo has always treated Europe like an afterthought market--that's when they aren't just plain mean--but the DS seems to be doing really well. Which doesn't preclude the PSP from doing really well, too (even though Sony's being just as mean as Nintendo at the moment).

Shao

Leondexter said:
But didn't the DS just have the most successful system launch ever over there? That's what the media said, anyway. I know Nintendo has always treated Europe like an afterthought market--that's when they aren't just plain mean--but the DS seems to be doing really well. Which doesn't preclude the PSP from doing really well, too (even though Sony's being just as mean as Nintendo at the moment).

Nintendo does have a strong fanbase around the world and their launches always do well. But you have to consider that most of the time launch figures depend on who manages to supply the most consoles, I bet the PSP will sell out due to shortages and not break any records.

Right now in stores the DS is barely a consideration, stores are clearly having a PSP bias, store staff will tell you to get a PSP. "its the number one portable" etc. They probably don't know a damn thing regarding future releases or worldwide performances but thats been the general consensus.

Shao

Of course I only speak for the Uk, and thats one city in the UK. They are fairly big stores for big retailers though, HMV, GAME etc.

Spent like 10 minutes walking around HMV here trying to find the Gamecube section, it was hidden away in the corner where they usually stack the "10 games in 1" PC games which sell for £5. Its bad. Iwata said he is gonna fix this and he better.

Shao

Calidor said:
You sure dont know much about European market, a successful 250€ handheld, plus 50€ of a game? :lol

*I* don't know?

The PSP isn't even out here yet and its winning on mindshare. The screen alone will make it the winner here unless Nintendo really changes its ways and we get some hot games. People are already jumping to pre-order their PSPs at extortionate prices thinking its a bargain while others are being abit more wise and importing for much cheaper.

Also can't remember the last time a Nintendo franchise was a real system seller here besides Pokemon. We just dont like Nintendo very much.

mutsu

Shao said:

I just don't see how Nintendo can stuff up with major releases like Jump Super Stars, Dragon Quest Mori Mori 2, and Castlevania coming. After that, trump cards for this year such as Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros, Animal Crossing DS will all be launching as well.

Shao

Hmm....those franchises could perform weaker than expected i.e. Wars game. Who knows.

Maybe PSP will explode with FF7 spin offs and other big hit RPG games. Not a big stretch for PSP to wrestle the lead back imo. It was always the favourite.

Top Bottom