• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 20 - 26 June (free surprise inside!)

Shao said:
Hmm....those franchises could perform weaker than expected i.e. Wars game. Who knows.

Maybe PSP will explode with FF7 spin offs and other big hit RPG games. Not a big stretch for PSP to wrestle the lead back imo. It was always the favourite.

You must be joking. Square Enix hasn't really pledged much support to the PSP anyway. Advance Wars isn't a huge game in Japan, but let me name some franchises that are big over there:

Mario Bros.
Mario and Luigi
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Castlevania
Jump Jump Superstars
Sonic Rush
FF3
FF:CC
Zelda DS

And guess what? All those games are coming out in Japan THIS year. There is not way that the DS' sales are going to slow down in Japan with that kind of future lineup. Outside of GT Mobile, I can't think of any PSP games that are going to be big in Japan later this year.

Shao

Phoenix Dark said:
You must be joking. Square Enix hasn't really pledged much support to the PSP anyway. Advance Wars isn't a huge game in Japan, but let me name some franchises that are big over there:

Mario Bros.
Mario and Luigi
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Castlevania
Jump Jump Superstars
Sonic Rush
FF3
FF:CC
Zelda DS

And guess what? All those games are coming out in Japan THIS year. There is not way that the DS' sales are going to slow down in Japan with that kind of future lineup. Outside of GT Mobile, I can't think of any PSP games that are going to be big in Japan later this year.

You're right, DS has this in the bag :D

Is FF3 really definately coming out? Man I want FF6.

Jonnyram

Shao said:
Hmm....those franchises could perform weaker than expected i.e. Wars game. Who knows.
Advance Wars 1+2 only sold 18,000 first week in Japan. It's not a huge series like it used to be. They tried to use the name Famicom Wars to spur nostalgia, but it just hasn't worked. It'll probably sell slowly, though, like most Nintendo games.

Maybe PSP will explode with FF7 spin offs and other big hit RPG games. Not a big stretch for PSP to wrestle the lead back imo. It was always the favourite.
I like your logic. Nintendo franchises will fail on DS, but other franchises will succeed on PSP. Of course! How could anyone think differently...

Shao

Calm down, I'm just keeping an open mind. Writig off the PSP is abit premature and its happening alot so I was addressing the balance. Note use of words COULD.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy who wants nothing more than to see DS do well worldwide. But I also expect the PSP to do REALLY REALLY well sooner or later and I'd rather not look stupid then.

Firest0rm

iwatalol0dg.gif

puck1337

Calidor said:
if all those games are gonna be pulled this year, i wonder what Nintendo is keeping for next year..
In all likelihood, Mario isn't this year, Zelda isn't this year, FF:CC isn't this year, FFIII isn't this year.

Rock_Man

2(2) DS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Nintendo)
7(NEW) PSP Coded Arms (Konami)
9(NEW) DS Famicom Wars DS (Nintendo)
11(NEW) DS Ganbare Goemon: Toukai Douchuu (Konami)
12(6) DS Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)
15(9) DS Nintendogs: Dachs and Friends (Nintendo)
17(11) DS Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
19(7) DS DS Rakubiki Jiten (Nintendo)
24(14) DS SD Gundam G Generation DS (Bandai)
25(22) PSP Minna no Golf Portable (Sony)
26(15) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
27(25) DS Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (Tomy)
30(23) DS Jissen Pachi-Slot Hisshouhou! Hokuto no Ken DS (Sega)
32(35) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
35(17) DS Chou Shittou Caduceus (Atlus)
37(28) PSP Hero Legend Gagharv Trilogy: Akai Shizuku (Bandai)
44(40) DS Bokujou Monogatari: Colobocle Station (Marvelous)
47(37) DS Bomberman (Hudson)
48(42) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)

PSP games are bolded so you can find them.

Thomper

Fuzzy said:
That'll be the price for the PSP but I don't know if that'll be the price for the games.

http://teaser.yourpsp.com/html/en_GB_press_release.pdf
Don't know the prices for the rest of Europe, but Sony says the Netherlands at least will have their PSP games for 55 euro's, which is a whopping 66 dollars. Worst of all, Nintendo said their European games would be 30-40 euro's, while in all shops you see regular prices of 40-50 euro's. I'm worried that the same might happen with the PSP, games being priced 60-70 euro's, way too expensive (for me at least).

Hero

DS Domination.

Yeesh. Look at all those older DS games filling up the charts. I can only imagine what's going to happen when Shonen Jump Super Stars is released and every teenage male goes out to buy a DS.

Also, good to see Chibi Robo doing well!

BuzzJive

AniHawk said:
How long will the PSP be launching?

Well, considering sales are still slowing from launch period, and looking at how long it lasted in Japan, I'd say we're just about at the end.

AniHawk said:
The GC has outsold the PS2 once or twice in Japan. I don't think Sony was sweating bullets then.

I doubt they're sweating bullets, but they gotta be asking themselves how they're going to get their PSP sales up again.

AniHawk said:
Different types of markets. I doubt it.

Keep hope alive.

heidern

JoshuaJSlone said:
And it's a new record, DS in absolute units being more ahead of the PSP in Japan than it's ever been.

Surely this all calls for some charttery?

Rock_Man said:
PSP games are bolded so you can find them.

:lol :lol :lol

This battle this year is over, it really is just a matter of damage control for Sony. In addition to the games mentioned, Dragon Quest Slime Mori Mori is coming out in August, and Pokemon is pencilled in for November. What Sony will need to do is hold onto their niche. In addition to the DS and its strong lineup, it will also have to contend with the GBM which could rejuvenate the Game Boy line at least for a while. Sales have been holding steady for a fair while at a little over 20K a week. Sony have to maintain that, which they may be able to do just by sheer volume of games. What they absolutely do not want is for the system to slide this summer down to 15K and then to 10K a week or less.

Oh, and:
poorpsp.jpg

PkunkFury

I never noticed "Poorpsp" written in the back of that photo. Tell me that was photoshopped, right? or was that really hanging in back of them at some event?

Thomper

PkunkFury said:
I never noticed "Poorpsp" written in the back of that photo. Tell me that was photoshopped, right? or was that really hanging in back of them at some event?
It's photoshopped.

heidern

PkunkFury said:

Yeah its photoshopped. I thought I'd go for the subtle effect, I don't think it's too bad for my first effort.`

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ugh, f*cking Mushi King. I saw a bit of the TV show (not on purpose, mind you) and was disgusted pretty quickly. It's like Pokemon, but with inferior everything (and I don't like Pokemon). No sir, I don't like it.

(and I f*cking hate bugs, so that makes it even worse). :p

heidern said:
Surely this all calls for some charttery?
I... cannot resist!

My chart idea for this week is to compare these overall numbers it with an alternate reality where the PSP continued outselling the DS. Whereas for us the total ratio of PSP:DS has stagnated in the last few months I don't imagine that's so in this other reality. Essentially I flipped the numbers since Nintendogs, but totally toned down the huge Nintendogs/new color spikes.

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/20050701dspspdifference.gif
20050701dspspdifference.gif

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/20050701dspsptotalshare.gif
20050701dspsptotalshare.gif

Various facts:

Number of times GBA SP > PSP since PSP launch: 3 (weeks of December 20, January 3, June 20)

Number of times GCN > PSP since PSP launch: 1 (week of December 20).

Number of times Xbox > original GBA since PSP launch: 2 (weeks of January 17, January 24)

Though for weeks in which DS is in the lead the "When will PSP catch up?" number is pretty useless, the "When would PSP catch up if it continued to sell at this rate and DS sold 0?" is interestint this week, because it's 51.36 weeks. So, a year from now.

All hardware, all major(ish) manufacturers for the year: 43.0% Nintendo, 56.8% Sony, 0.2% Microsoft. For portables it's 59.3% Nintendo, 40.7% Sony. For consoles it's 10.2% Nintendo, 89.2% Sony, 0.7% Microsoft.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the 10th straight week of DS > PSP? If so that matches the PSP's longest win streak right?

ziran

impressive ds sales, and decent psp sales.

nintendo shifting the definition of what a game can be to something that can only be done on their hardware is a risky strategy, but brilliant if it works. i'm sure this is the way they're heading with revolution.

CloudNL

Still great numbers for PSP hardware!
People are buying it, even without some big PSP titles.

If I was a Japanese developer, I would create some nice PSP titles.

Top Bottom