• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts: Media Create Weekly Sales (November 14 - 20)

Culex

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Impressive DS/PSP sales for the week. This is the best preformance the PSP has done in awhile, although obviously the numbers will fall in the next couple weeks.

Also, the GBAMicro seems to be almost as dead as the GBA. Nintendo still made a killing on it though, so I doubt they're complaining about its preformance.

Animal Crossing is going to put up some CRAZY numbers.

Actually, I think the PSP numbers will hover around 50k until Christmas, where it will see a nice boost.

P90 said:
I remember how Metal Gear Ac!d was supposed to bury the DS. Then came WE. Then the White PSP. Then GTA. Then everything but the kitchen sink... That it'll do it! a game about washing the dishes. PSP and DS are doing fine.

Mr. Bob's post has the cognitive robustness of the Forbes article from this thread:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=72866

I have a feeling there's going to be some kind of party whenever the PSP manages to outsell the DS. I can't wait for the "Nintendo can't pay teh water billz" headlines we'll see on that day, if it ever comes that is. :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
koam said:
Man, it's as if they bought a DS with their PSP just to make sure the PSP didn't beat them in sales. Btw, when are MK and AC coming out?
AC is out this week. :D

koam said:
wait a second, RE was announced on PSP? I didn't know that? Or is that an outbreak title?
It was a rumor that was announced with DMC DS (chibi style) & the name of DMC for the PSP, Dance of Sparda. Nothing ever came out of it though.

monkeyrun

jman2050 said:
I find it funny that people are hounding Izzy for making a reasonable conclusion, that PSP sales would eventually get much better once big titles come out. He said absolutely nothing about it outpacing the DS. Only MrBob said anything about that, and as everyone with a brain here knows, MrBob is incorrect 97% of the time.
please read P90

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
CVXFREAK said:
Too late, they already added it. :lol

Don't think the Fushigi no Dungeon stuff is actually part of the episode though. The Ranger one is definitely a real episode.

Yeah I understand they're just some tacked on clips at the end of the intro so I hope it goes no further than that. Is the Ranger episode Hoso/Chronicles or anime proper? And for the record while I may be bashing Ranger now, I still am giving it more of a chance then the furry rescue squads.

cvxfreak

Lindsay said:
Yeah I understand they're just some tacked on clips at the end of the intro so I hope it goes no further than that. Is the Ranger episode Hoso/Chronicles or anime proper? And for the record while I may be bashing Ranger now, I still am giving it more of a chance then the furry rescue squads.

I think it's AG 16X or something, so not a Hoso.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Did anyone notice that two of the new "The Best" (PSP Greatest Hits) titles made the top 50?

27 PSP みんなのGOLF ポータブル(PSP the Best) (Hot Shots Golf)
37 PSP アーマード・コア フォーミュラフロント インターナショナル(PSP the Best)

Anyone know what 37 is?

Beowvlf

Banned
I'm surprised no one mentioned that TALKMAN apparently didn't bomb nearly as much as initially thought; it actually ended up 14th overall (with sales of around ~15k or so likely), and was the 2nd highest PSP game on the charts.

Not too bad for a ~$60 handheld 'game'. Killer app status however = denied.

polg

Heian-kyo said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned that TALKMAN apparently didn't bomb nearly as much as initially thought; it actually ended up 14th overall (with sales of around ~15k or so likely), and was the 2nd highest PSP game on the charts.

Not too bad for a ~$60 handheld 'game'. Killer app status however = denied.

so what has been killer app in japan? Hot Shots Golf?

heidern

Mario 64 DS
Warioware Touched
Nintendogs
Brain Training
Jump Superstars
Animal Crossing DS
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon

Oh, and there is no psp Resident Evil announcement and Devil May Cry is definitely not a killer app. The only killer games are GT and FF at the moment, Sony have much work to do. I really don't think its a question of people underestimating the psps potential. The potential is huge, its just that Sony have completely and utterly failed in getting a strong software line up for the system. Post launch, it's closer in quality to the xbox and Wonderswan Colour line ups than of a proper competitive 2nd system.

Beowvlf

Banned
polg said:
so what has been killer app in japan? Hot Shots Golf?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Minna no Golf Portable is the best selling PSP game in Japan so far; CVX would know for sure. If anything in the near future is going to match MNGP's sales, it'll probably be either Geki Sengoku Musou or Super Robot Taisen MX Portable, both releasing next month.

Striek

heidern said:
Mario 64 DS
Warioware Touched
Nintendogs
Brain Training
Jump Superstars
Animal Crossing DS
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon

Oh, and there is no psp Resident Evil announcement and Devil May Cry is definitely not a killer app. The only killer games are GT and FF at the moment, Sony have much work to do. I really don't think its a question of people underestimating the psps potential. The potential is huge, its just that Sony have completely and utterly failed in getting a strong software line up for the system. Post launch, it's closer in quality to the xbox and Wonderswan Colour line ups than of a proper competitive 2nd system.
Oh come on. Look at the games you've listed, only Pokemon and MK are "killer games" at a level where DMC wouldn't be included. The PSP lineup is fucking great, as we see everytime someone makes a list to prove it for the millionth time, the PSP future releases are also equally awesome.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Striek said:
Oh come on. Look at the games you've listed, only Pokemon and MK are "killer games" at a level where DMC wouldn't be included. The PSP lineup is fucking great, as we see everytime someone makes a list to prove it for the millionth time, the PSP future releases are also equally awesome.

Think he's talking about sales potential there. Each one of those games have exceeded 500k or have the real potential to get there (some to the 1 million mark). I don't think you can say that a portable version of DMC will reach those numbers. Wait I'll rephrase it. There's no way in hell DMC will reach anywhere near 500k. Just looked it up, DMC 3 only did 290k on PS2.

koam

Striek said:

I think you need to "oh come on" yourself if you think those games aren't killer apps in the eyes of Japanese people.

Fuzzy

The notes,
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 994,342 units, 177.65% of last week's total and 132.49% of the weekly average. These strong figures indicate that the year-end sales season is off to a good start.

New titles "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Federation vs. Z.A.F.T.," "Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Force," and "Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red Rescue Force" each saw robust sales of over 100,000 units, and 16 new releases, including these and other titles such as "J-League Winning Eleven 9: Asia Championship" and "TALKMAN," took spots in the top 100. New titles accounted for a high 64.14% of sales, and it appears the increase in sales from the previous week was fueled by new releases.

Looking at results for the hardware market, "Giga Pack," a PSP model to be offered only this winter (package, which goes for 29,800 yen, includes 1GB memory stick, stand, and various other accessories), was launched, and sales of the model grew by approximately 28,000 units from the previous week. With its attractive pricing, how the model performs during the year-end season will be something to watch.
Only this winter? Some people are going to have fun with that.

Striek

BorkBork said:
Think he's talking about sales potential there. Each one of those games have exceeded 500k or have the real potential to get there (some to the 1 million mark). I don't think you can say that a portable version of DMC will reach those numbers. Wait I'll rephrase it. There's no way in hell DMC will reach anywhere near 500k. Just looked it up, DMC 3 only did 290k on PS2.
No he said "completely and utterly failed in getting a strong software line up for the system". Clearling a slight against the quality of the titles available, not sales potential. Of course DMC isn't going to sell well over there, but no one should doubt it will be an awesome game (and AAA, if at all like its older brothers DMC1/3).

I think you need to "oh come on" yourself if you think those games aren't killer apps in the eyes of Japanese people.
I'm sure they don't think too much about whether games are "killer apps" but rather are they fun. Something like JSS was released amid alot of hype and is apparently very average, sales seemed to drop off quick (IIRC). WW:T sold well amid the DS drought but failed to provide the fun of the GBA WW:T(wisted). Anyway, I did not mention there sales potential or even whether they were killer apps or not, I debated whether saying they are more or less a killer app than DMC, which has far greater potential to be a killer app in NA. I don't think labelling every title on the DS that sells greater than 300k a "killer app" is particularly accurate.

P90

BorkBork said:

Kinda off topic, but when discussion of DMC comes up someone MUST bring up Ninja Gaiden. So I am. Anyone have NG Black numbers?

I wonder how Xenosaga will do on the DS? Funny enough, for you Xenosaga haters and DS haters, but I am looking forward to the game. FF IV as well. Handheld is the platform of choice for RPGs for me. Maybe it is the focus on 2D that appeals to me.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Striek said:
Nintendogs and Brain training haven't been killer apps for Japan?

Mario 64 DS is still the top selling DS game by FAR in every territory.
Jump Superstars has sold 300k. Not to mention the fact that DS sales jumped to 100k the week it released (while JSS helped the sales, the new DS color which was released the same week helped, no doubt)
Animal Crossing DS only just released, but it topped the sales charts the first day of its release, is a million-copy selling franchise, and is the type of title that people in japan would love and gobble up.

Really, the only game on that list I'd say isn't a killer ap that has helped sell systems would be Wario Ware: Touched. And while that might not have sold many systems, it is the #2 selling title on the DS in Japan (and I think most other territories, too).

Fuzzy

P90 said:
Kinda off topic, but when discussion of DMC comes up someone MUST bring up Ninja Gaiden. So I am. Anyone have NG Black numbers?
From CVXFREAK's October Chart,
97 XB NINJA GAIDEN Black Tecmo 5,826 5,826
It was the first month of release.

GaimeGuy said:
Jump Superstars has sold 300k.
It's over 400K now (from the same chart)
GaimeGuy said:
Really, the only game on that list I'd say isn't a killer ap that has helped sell systems would be Wario Ware: Touched. And while that might not have sold many systems, it is the #2 selling title on the DS in Japan (and I think most other territories, too).
Wario is number 1 on the DS (from the same chart).

Striek

GaimeGuy said:
Nintendogs and Brain training haven't been killer apps for Japan?
Sure have, didn't say they hadn't. Once again, my position is as games, saying these are more "killer" than DMC (aka, better quality) is wrong.
GaimeGuy said:
Mario 64 DS is still the top selling DS game by FAR in every territory.
Sure, its a Mario title, a damn good one at that, that was at launch amid alot of mediocre titles. It sold the system, I know that. But more a "its a new system, lets get it and pick up the best game" than "holy fuck this is Mario 64 DS, now I have to buy the DS!".
GaimeGuy said:
Jump Superstars has sold 300k. Not to mention the fact that DS sales jumped to 100k the week it released (while JSS helped the sales, the new DS color which was released the same week helped, no doubt)
Definitely doesn't fit within my definition of killer app, just by sales. It may have helped the DS sales for a week or two, but the game was disappointing and didn't have legs (going by musings in previous MC sales threads, anyway).
GaimeGuy said:
Animal Crossing DS only just released, but it topped the sales charts the first day of its release, is a million-copy selling franchise, and is the type of title that people in japan would love and gobble up.
Yep, it should do wonders for the DS. But in the end its just AC and no amount of improvement is going to make it a better game than DMC will be. Really makes you wonder when AC gets so much attention, gaming is changing...
(I own AC GC FWIW, don't care much for it, but I know it appeals to women and "non-gamers")

Striek said:
Sure have, didn't say they hadn't. Once again, my position is as games, saying these are more "killer" than DMC (aka, better quality) is wrong.

That is entirely a matter of opinion. Don't state your opinion as some sort of fact we must all adhere to.

Lindsay said:

From the plot synopsis of the next few episodes, no Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon material for sure. It'll probably stay a cameo in the intro credits.

Yes, the Ranger episode will debut in two weeks as part of the main series. Of course, it wouldn't be the only Ranger appearance. The next movie has the Pokemon Ranger title as well.

Striek

rod said:
:lol @ so much sony damage control

its only sales guys. enjoy them both~
Too bad if you read the thread, no one is disappointed by the PSPs sales. Um. So. Yeah.

Shamrock7r said:
That is entirely a matter of opinion. Don't state your opinion as some sort of fact we must all adhere to.
Meep!
If you had've quoted me saying "But in the end its just AC and no amount of improvement is going to make it a better game than DMC will be." you might have just not made an ass of yourself. Thats where I touted my opinion as fact.
What you just quoted was me basically telling someone else that stating their opinions as fact is wrong. Damn, so close!

Dalthien

Striek said:

Definitely doesn't fit within my definition of killer app, just by sales. It may have helped the DS sales for a week or two, but the game was disappointing and didn't have legs (going by musings in previous MC sales threads, anyway).

Here are the updated Japan sales charts for DS & PSP - Japan Software LTD - DS & PSP

I'm pretty sure that Heidern was referring to 'killer app' status as being games that help push hardware and push general awareness of the system. Devil May Cry will not do much for pushing hardware sales or general awareness of the PSP amongst the public. That's not to discount the 'quality' of the series - I love DMC3, but quality is a subjective term. I love the challenge of the game, but I know several people who find that DMC3 is far too difficult, and therefore consider it to be a crappy game.

As for Jump Superstars, you can see from the chart that it is over 400,000 now, and it has been in the top 30 charts every week for 3.5 months now - those are pretty good legs. And it helped push DS hardware sales over 103,000 during the week of its release - hence it being included as a 'killer app' by Heidern.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Striek said:
No he said "completely and utterly failed in getting a strong software line up for the system". Clearling a slight against the quality of the titles available, not sales potential. Of course DMC isn't going to sell well over there, but no one should doubt it will be an awesome game (and AAA, if at all like its older brothers DMC1/3).

I'm sure they don't think too much about whether games are "killer apps" but rather are they fun. Something like JSS was released amid alot of hype and is apparently very average, sales seemed to drop off quick (IIRC). WW:T sold well amid the DS drought but failed to provide the fun of the GBA WW:T(wisted). Anyway, I did not mention there sales potential or even whether they were killer apps or not, I debated whether saying they are more or less a killer app than DMC, which has far greater potential to be a killer app in NA. I don't think labelling every title on the DS that sells greater than 300k a "killer app" is particularly accurate.

There are really two views of looking at whether the PSP software life up was strong or not up to this point. One was to look at it saleswise, and there's no question the software have not been performing up to par. Period. And to this I agree with Heidern. The other view to look at it is from a quality point of view. If you want to look at it from a Japanese critic's point of view (Famitsu for example), there are more stand-out highly rated and acclaimed games in that case on the DS than on the PSP. Those are facts. IMO, I do not believe that the PSP software lineup has completely and utterly failed quality-wise. There are a lot of great games for it in Japan. But, according to the Japanese consumer and critics, the DS has more. Of course reviews and opinions are highly subjective and I think people can argue and post lists all night and day, so I'll leave that point as it is.

Now, the second part of your argument was that a PSP version of DMC would be comparable to some of the games on Heidern's list. Now I've already said that salewise that will be debunked. But quality-wise is a different issue. Personally, I question DMC's quality as a franchise, which 2 being such a letdown critically. Now you're deeming that a unreleased game only seen from a few screenshots (if any) from the king of ports will be on par quality wise with Nintendo's biggest portable franchises? I don't think so. Remember all this is in Japan as well, since this is a JAPAN SALES THREAD.

rod

Banned
Striek said:
Too bad if you read the thread, no one is disappointed by the PSPs sales. Um. So. Yeah.

your kidding right? every week the psp doesnt outsell the DS its massive damage control and usually headed by heiyan kyo or whatever. ive read the thread, and il post it to you again

:lol @ all the sony damage control

koam

Striek said:

Sure, its a Mario title, a damn good one at that, that was at launch amid alot of mediocre titles. It sold the system, I know that. But more a "its a new system, lets get it and pick up the best game" than "holy fuck this is Mario 64 DS, now I have to buy the DS!".

Yep, it should do wonders for the DS. But in the end its just AC and no amount of improvement is going to make it a better game than DMC will be. Really makes you wonder when AC gets so much attention, gaming is changing...
(I own AC GC FWIW, don't care much for it, but I know it appeals to women and "non-gamers")

So basically, you only like DMC games? Actually, you guys have been arguing for so long, I forgot what your point was? Was it that PSP is getting DMC? Because if that's the case, so is the DS. The PSP one is supposed to be a port of ]DMC3.

Doogdogg

Some heavy hitters DS will get in December:

DS Powerful Prokun Pocket 8 2005-12-01 5229 yen Konami (maybe not. but its a monster on consoles)
DS Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 2 2005-12-01 4990 yen Square Enix
DS Mario Kart DS 2005-12-08 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Mushiking: Road to the Greatest Champion 2005-12-08 5040 yen Sega
DS Mario & Luigi RPG 2 2005-12-29 5040 yen Nintendo
DS Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training 2005-12-29 2800 yen Nintendo

my prediction:

DQ2 will sell around 300k
Mario Kart atleast 800k
Mushiking atleast 400k
M&L2 atleast 450k
DS Training over 700k

cvxfreak

DS Mario Kart DS 2005-12-08 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Mushiking: Road to the Greatest Champion 2005-12-08 5040 yen Sega

Well that should be an explosive day.

heidern

Striek said:
No he said "completely and utterly failed in getting a strong software line up for the system". Clearling a slight against the quality of the titles available, not sales potential.

Sorry genius, but if you were a bit more observant you'd notice that this is a Media Create Sales thread. Ergo the context of all discussion is regarding the domain of sales data. Discussion of quality of the entire line ups of each system is entirely redundant since you cannot give an informed view without playing all the games a particular system has to offer. And since no one here has done so for any of these systems, all attempts at judging entire software libraries for the gaming systems are uninformed and thus by definition entirely worthless.*

But back to the matter at hand, my comments were regarding sales potential. I say again, Sony have completely and utterly failed in getting a strong software line up for the system. In particular I referenced the post launch line up. To show you how totally shit it has been, I give you Exhibit A; The highest selling psp game post launch; Tales of Eternia. This game is a port of a psone game. There is a likelihood that the "Under accomplished port" of Winning Eleven will outsell it but that is hardly a wonderful success now is it.

As for the line up of Killer apps I proposed, sales of over 500K accounted for most of them. The exception being Jump Super Stars, but seeing as how DS sales rocketed to 103,000 in the week of that games release, a figure higher than even in the week of Nintendogs, it got the nod.

*Gahigiddy and Smapty are exempt from all these standards, comments from the aforementioned individuals are assumed to be credible due to circumstances currently outside the public domain.

Striek said:
Meep!
If you had've quoted me saying "But in the end its just AC and no amount of improvement is going to make it a better game than DMC will be." you might have just not made an ass of yourself. Thats where I touted my opinion as fact.
What you just quoted was me basically telling someone else that stating their opinions as fact is wrong. Damn, so close!

Heh, don't believe I made an ass out of myself, but whatever. You talk about "your definition" of a killer app, then assume that his interpretation is the same, thus he is wrong. I myself always assumed a killer-app would be a game that would be both a critical success and a system seller, moreso the latter, and going by my definition, he is right. That is what I assumed he meant when he said those games were killer apps over DMC.

edit: What heid said ^

wow from here to the end of the year.. the ds has the most insane lineup in japan that will cause that country to explode into many pieces.. wtf?

GhaleonEB

Culex said:
Awesome, my prediction was spot-on for the DS!

Chart updated again, too.

JPHandheldWar.jpg

This is the closest the DS and PSP have been since the 12th-18th September, when the White PSP and Winning Eleven 9 were released.

I don't see too much love for your graphs, but please do keep posting them. They're a highlight of these threads.

Striek

BorkBork said:
There are really two views of looking at whether the PSP software life up was strong or not up to this point. One was to look at it saleswise, and there's no question the software have not been performing up to par. Period. And to this I agree with Heidern. The other view to look at it is from a quality point of view. If you want to look at it from a Japanese critic's point of view (Famitsu for example), there are more stand-out highly rated and acclaimed games in that case on the DS than on the PSP. Those are facts. IMO, I do not believe that the PSP software lineup has completely and utterly failed quality-wise. There are a lot of great games for it in Japan. But, according to the Japanese consumer and critics, the DS has more. Of course reviews and opinions are highly subjective and I think people can argue and post lists all night and day, so I'll leave that point as it is.
Indeed. I don't want to get into PSP vs. DS, but this is my view of the scenario too. Its not about comparing PSP's overall lineup to DS, its about saying the PSP lineup can stand up on its own. I chose to make my stance because I saw heidern, IMO, perpetuating the "truth" that the PSP lineup is shit, and he happened to be doing that by way of comparison to DS titles.

BorkBork said:
Now you're deeming that a unreleased game only seen from a few screenshots (if any) from the king of ports will be on par quality wise with Nintendo's biggest portable franchises? I don't think so. Remember all this is in Japan as well, since this is a JAPAN SALES THREAD.
"Nintendo's biggest portable franchises"? That in itself is debatable. 4 of the 6 games mentioned (note: I discounted Pokemon and Mario Kart because I believe those games are in a whole other level of '"killer"-ness') haven't had a title in the series on a handheld before, if at all.
I feel confident that DMC, even if up to the standards of 2, will be par for the course for the games I singled out. Of course it could turn out to be a turd, but the assumption should be made it will be of normal DMC quality (IMO, like everything else I write). From this viewpoint, its irrelevant how the Japanese critique the titles, the quality will be what it is regardless of what scores it gets (which of course, is all subjective).

rod said:
your kidding right? every week the psp doesnt outsell the DS its massive damage control and usually headed by heiyan kyo or whatever. ive read the thread, and il post it to you again
Point out all the damage control, on the PSP sales, in THIS thread.

koam said:
So basically, you only like DMC games? Actually, you guys have been arguing for so long, I forgot what your point was? Was it that PSP is getting DMC? Because if that's the case, so is the DS. The PSP one is supposed to be a port of ]DMC3.
Just chose to make an issue out of it. Actually they don't even rank in my top 10 PS2 titles, but I do enjoy them.
Its not fucking PSP vs. DS fanboy shit, I don't care if they do or don't get DMC, its about dismissing DMC as low quality/unimportant to sales whilst listing those titles of debatably the same/less (subjective, yet again, which is the whole fucking point) importance. I find the DS lineup in JPN much better than the PSP (and vice-versa elsewhere).

heidern said:
Sorry genius, but if you were a bit more observant you'd notice that this is a Media Create Sales thread. Ergo the context of all discussion is regarding the domain of sales data. Discussion of quality of the entire line ups of each system is entirely redundant since you cannot give an informed view without playing all the games a particular system has to offer. And since no one here has done so for any of these systems, all attempts at judging entire software libraries for the gaming systems are uninformed and thus by definition entirely worthless.*
Sorry, I misunderstood, my only defense is I was reading other tabs where people had been dismissing the quality, but yeah, I considered the fact for a moment that it was about sales, but thought no one would say they had "completely and utterly failed" in doing so.
I still take issue with your dismassal of the PSP lineup from a sales perspective as well. Now I've tried to establish a beachead for my view that the lineup has some quality to it (subjectively), I'll argue that whilst PSP software sales haven't been up to scratch, they have not been a complete and utter failure. ToE may be a PSOne port, but if we were using that as a point we may as well say how fucking terrible is the fact that the top-selling DS game worldwide is Mario 64 DS, an (albeit enhanced) port of a N64 game.
The fact Sony is still selling the system very well, means consumers are excited by the lineup (either they find exciting content out now or in the future, or...) and there is quality games in the PSP lineup, tells us that some people who buy the PSP aren't doing so for gaming. So the issue IMO lies not with Sony and their games, but with consumers having more choice with the PSP in terms of media (and perhaps piracy has something to do with it, although I wouldn't use that as an excuse) playing.
Oh well. Nice discussion guys, maybe I'll catch up with your replies later, if its still on the frontpage, I'm out.

Nintendogs and Brain Training have been the killer apps that have put the DS on top. Before Nintendogs, the DS couldn't outsell the PSP, even with Mario. After the dogs came everything changed. Brain Training secured the DS' dominance for the rest of 2005 after Nintendog's hold began to wane (but never quite disappear).

The next titles that are going to do this are Animal Crossing, which was released a few days ago, and Brain Training II, due out in December. I think these games could sell faster than the other two killer apps, because now the user base is so much higher; not to mention the many gamers and non-gamers that will be persuaded to buy the DS due to these games.

I just don't see the PSP outselling or outpreforming the DS anytime soon. Animal Crossing and Brain Training II could easily hold their own until Feburary, when the next big DS game (Children of Mana) comes out. After Feb., Nintendo will have the final blow ready for delivery: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. Hopefully the games will come out in Japan shortly before E3, although Nintendo hasn't hinted at a release date yet. For the rest of the year, Nintendo will have many more AAA titles ready, including FF3 (which looks amazing), FF:CC, Zelda DS, Magical Vacation 2, Tales DS, Wario Land DS, and of course Super Mario Bros. DS.

I'm sure Sony has some great software in development for the PSP, but you'd be foolish to believe whatever they have will be able to compete with a new Pokemon game, two Final Fantasy games, a Zelda game, and a brand new 2D Mario title. To deny this is to deny reality.

The PSP isn't going away, but it won't be ruling Japan anytime soon.

Monk

Banned
Striek said:
Point out all the damage control, on the PSP sales, in THIS thread.

Giga Pack boosted PSP sales the same way Nintendogs bundle did even though it is a higher price: More value for the money.

What is going to happen when Nintendo doesn't get their dominating numbers in Japan anymore? Looks like PSP is on pace now to outsell the DS worldwide at a higher pricepoint. Fighting a losing battle like I've always said.

I wish Sony would have had the Giga Pack at launch. I would have bought that instead of the Value (AKA new core) Pack.

I just find it incredible that a fucking $250 (and now even $300) handheld is selling as amazingly as it is, and in many areas even outselling a competitor that is half as expensive.

I am kind of surprised at how defensive people are. The two handheld are so different, one is a generation and a half ahead at a higher price, the other have unique input. The sales of both should be looked at separately. Back when I was a serious N-bot(about 4-6 years ago... ok a year ago :p) I would have made posts like these, but now i cringe at the thought of making them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
NWO said:
GAF 2004: The DS is stillborn and the PSP will put Nintendo out of its misery.
GAF at the end of 2004: The DS just sold well because it has no competition.
GAF 2005: Once the PSP launches in America and Europe it will be over for the DS.
GAF mid 2005: Winning Eleven will save the PSP in Japan
GAF after WE comes out: Who cares about Japan? Its all about the US and Europe numbers!
GAF before Europe launch: It will outsell the DS its first day. Europe is Sonyland!
GAF after Europe launch: Well we meant that it will eventually outsell it.
GAF before GTA launches: Ignore all those other times we declared the DS dead its going to be killed now
GAF after missing US PSP numbers and getting outsold in Europe and Japan: But the PSP made more in revenue
GAF now: Its "on pace" to eventually outsell the DS
GAF in the future: <insert lame ass excuse here for why its not outselling the DS>

You guys are just going to scream PSP will overtake the DS until the cows come home and then when it doesn't happen you'll fall back on the well it was Sony's first handheld nobody expected them to compete wait for the PSP2 then its over for Nintendo and the cycle will continue.

I think I love this man.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AniHawk said:
There's still time left. The PSP could still steamroll the DS by the end of the year worldwide.

:(
Maybe if David's game came out before the end of the year as well. :lol

Top Bottom