• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2013 (Jan 14 - Jan 20)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So with Game & Wario for 3/28. we now in all likelihood know Nintendo's complete 1st Quarter lineup for Wii U:

1/31- Hokuto Musou 2
2/21- Tanks!
3/14- Need for Speed
3/28- Game & Wario

Way to bring it strong Nintendo!

Wii U that behaves so diffrent from Vita and sells so much software will likely sell less games than Vita this quarter.

edit: Vita selling more hw than Wii U this week isn't something impossible based on retailer comments.

Hobby

Vita redeemed?
I think some of those games had very low shipments; also: Vita users will be hungry of games, I mean, when the last exclusive games was released for the sytem?

MonMon had a small shipment according to first day sellthrough guy. No clue about Demon Gaze.

Wii U that behaves so diffrent from Vita and sells so much software will likely sell less games than Vita this quarter.

edit: Vita selling more hw than Wii U this week isn't something impossible based on retailer comments.

Oh my goodness, reminds me of the intial PSP>Vita thing,although based on this week sales and Vita actually having releases I expected it to get close in the 10-15k range. I don't think there's any way for the Wii U to sell more games considering Soul Sacrifice's and Tales of Hearts release.

donny2112

But I do think Wii U Party and Yoshi have pretty high sales potential and if they come out this summer/fall could do a decent job of getting things moving.

Yoshi is Kirby's Epic Yarn with a sub-character in a franchise instead of a main character. Epic Yarn sold 100K at launch, 250K after two months, and probably 500K after 18 months on the market. It wasn't a rocket, and I wouldn't expect Yoshi's Epic Yarn to sell better. It'll sell, but just don't see it pushing much of any systems other than just being part of the library that may make it worth it for someone to buy.

Wii U Party could do something, but it's like Wii Fit U in that its impact for the Wii mainstream base is questionable. They haven't announced a Wii Sports U, but if they were to put one out, that may make better inroads on systems than a Wii U Party. Wii Fit U may do well for selling systems, too, but that's a TBD.

As we saw with Hot Shots Golf 5 and Nintendogs+cats, high price + casual game = depressed sales. :/

I really don't see how third party situation will improve that much with WiiU.

How it could is an actually viable porting avenue with similar system designs/architecture, but just lesser power, which is very different from Wii's situation. Whether it will improve is a whole other question, though. It's better now than Wii already, but it's still not really close to where it needs to be to make a difference in sales.

-------

Prediction League February, 2013

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 250K
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1200K

serplux

Yoshi is Kirby's Epic Yarn with a sub-character in a franchise instead of a main character. Epic Yarn sold 100K at launch, 250K after two months, and probably 500K after 18 months on the market. It wasn't a rocket, and I wouldn't expect Yoshi's Epic Yarn to sell better. It'll sell, but just don't see it pushing much of any systems other than just being part of the library that may make it worth it for someone to buy

Yoshi has historically been on par with Kirby as a seller; Kirby console titles typically average around a million or so in sales worldwide, while Yoshi's Island had around 4 million and Yoshi's Story around 1 million (oddly enough Kirby Superstar DS and Yoshi's Island DS sold around the same), so it has a chance.

What the hell?

How big of a impact will soul Sacrifice have on vita sales? Are retailers excited about that game?
We are looking at PSV 15k vs Wii U 10k.

As for SS, yeah, it's a system seller just like Persona (31k) and Miku (46k). For what it's worth, it's still not charting on Comgnet Top 20.

Yoshi has historically been on par with Kirby as a seller; Kirby console titles typically average around a million or so in sales worldwide, while Yoshi's Island had around 4 million and Yoshi's Story around 1 million (oddly enough Kirby Superstar DS and Yoshi's Island DS sold around the same), so it has a chance.

This is a Japanese sales thread, and you're mixing numbers anyway (or taking them from dubious sources). There's no way Yoshi Story shipped only 1 million worldwide when it sold 852,846 in Japan (Famitsu)

XDDX

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 240k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1130k

L Thammy

Not sure if anyone's interested, but here's some data.

8XjU0lH.png

Launch-aligned.

3CJCjOx.png

I generally could not find the Media Create top 20 numbers for PS3 and Wii, so top 10 instead.
Note, since this draws only from the top 10 it does not represent lesser-selling titles.

3GYJU7g.png

As before, based only on the top 10 numbers and skewed appropriately.

N1AagEL.png

Tally of the number of titles for that platform in the top 20 for each week.
I can't find the top 20 for PS3's second week. It has been assumed as zero.

Feel free to criticize or point out mistakes: I'm still very new to this.

big youth

I can't make topics yet and it's kind of relevent to this topic so:

I'm wondering why I never see Japanese reviews posted or talked about on this site, outside of Famitsu. I'd be curious to see how Bravely Default, Harmoknight, and numerous other games scored before they come to NA. anyone know anything about this?

guek

Banned

Good stuff. It really is shocking how poorly PS3 did out of the gate in Japan. Stunning, really.

And what's worse is that Wii U is already below PS3's week 3 in 2007.
I expect Wii U to recover much more quickly though, provided nintendo can get some quality software out by the end of the year.

Seriously though, PS3 was such an initial bomb. Not as bad as Vita but surprisingly close. I'm half tempted to go back and read some of the MC threads (I wasn't on gaf back then).

donny2112

it sold 852,846 in Japan (Famitsu)

Speaking of Yoshi's Story's total, I think this is a case of Famitsu going back to adjust totals.

1st 3 months: 245K
4 months later: +70K (and its off the Top 30s)
6 months later: +300K (Never on a weekly Top 30. Sum of all #30 in the weekly numbers is 150K. Whaaaat!)
12 months later: +300K (Never on a weekly Top 30. Sum of all #30 in the weekly numbers is 421K. Whaaaat! x 2)
12 months later: +140K
12 months later: +90K

8XjU0lH.png

Launch-aligned.

3CJCjOx.png

I generally could not find the Media Create top 20 numbers for PS3 and Wii, so top 10 instead.
Note, since this draws only from the top 10 it does not represent lesser-selling titles.

3GYJU7g.png

As before, based only on the top 10 numbers and skewed appropriately.

N1AagEL.png

Tally of the number of titles for that platform in the top 20 for each week.
I can't find the top 20 for PS3's second week. It has been assumed as zero.

Are you sure this is correct? It has Wii U outperforming PS3 by every metric, which seems odd with how lukewarm Wii U is.

guek

Banned
Are you sure this is correct? It has Wii U outperforming PS3 by every metric, which seems odd with how lukewarm Wii U is.

This is the third time I've said this but PS3 was an abject failure in its first year :p

Unless I missed a month somwhere, it never broke 70k/week in its first year and only crossed 60k twice. It hovered around 10-20k for most of 2007.

L Thammy

I didn't see any PS3 titles in the top 20 from its second to seventh week. That's also why the tie ratio I showed for the PS3 is so low, as well as the Vita's: since they're using the only the top ten they're assuming no PS3 or PSV games sold at all during those weeks.

42,965 software sales for the PS3 in seven weeks. 164,489 for PSV in the same frame. Add them up and you have less than the LTD of Nintendo Land (considered to be 210,803 in that chart).

Of course it will, there's not any games coming for Wii U in a while.

Nekki

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jan 28 to Feb 24):

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 220k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1100k

Kandinsky

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 300k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1600k

Yeah I think DQ7 will be huge compared to the DS remakes, 2m here we go!

disco

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 300k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1600k

Yeah I think DQ7 will be huge compared to the DS remakes, 2m here we go!

Are you sure? At the time the DS remakes came out the DS was at godly levels of popularity that the 3DS is not at at the moment. I really think 1.2 is the highest we will see.

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 320k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1850k

DQ VI for DS did about 1150k in three weeks and this one should be reasonably bigger.

Prediction League:

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 263k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1350k

I do think it will hit 1.7 million eventually though. 2 million just seems way too much.

DQ VI for DS did about 1150k in three weeks and this one should be reasonably bigger.

I really don't want to pull the userbase argument here, but when we're talking about series that sell this much I feel like it is reasonable to think about that. Should be interesting though

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm wondering why I never see Japanese reviews posted or talked about on this site, outside of Famitsu. I'd be curious to see how Bravely Default, Harmoknight, and numerous other games scored before they come to NA. anyone know anything about this?

Which sources are you hoping to have people post about?

zroid

Banned
Well, I guess I'd consider that a licensed game. Or maybe a tie-in is a better term, depending on the circumstances of its development.

Perhaps I should say "original IP" to quell any discrepancy? :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Prediction League:

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 263k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1350k

I do think it will hit 1.7 million eventually though. 2 million just seems way too much.

I really don't want to pull the userbase argument here, but when we're talking about series that sell this much I feel like it is reasonable to think about that. Should be interesting though

3DS has enough of a userbase to see an expansion in sales in some genres.

DQ VII is a high quality remake of what is now a quite old game that sold very well in the first place and hasn't been remade before. It could easily do over and beyond what DQ VI did.

Road

Famitsu No. 1259

2012 Top 10 New IP:
01. [PS3] Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) {2012-05-24} - 468,108
02. [3DS] Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Square Enix) {2012-10-11} - 274,972
03. [PS3] Tokyo Jungle (SCE) {2012-06-07} - 215,048
04. [WII] Go Vacation (Bandai Namco) {2011-10-20} - 167,902 / 348,704
05. [3DS] Fantasy Life (Level 5) {2012-12-27} - 134,008
06. [PS3] Binary Domain (SEGA) {2012-02-16} - 114,348
07. [3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (SEGA) {2012-01-19} - 81,580
08. [PSV] Gravity Rush (SCE) {2012-02-09} - 80,597
09. [PS3] Lollipop Chainsaw (Kadokawa Games) {2012-06-14} - 75,084
10. [PS3] Asura's Wrath (Capcom) {2012-02-23} - 59,938

2012 Top 5 Developed Outside Japan
01. [PS3] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Capcom) {2012-04-26} - 335,323
02. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Version (Square Enix) {2012-11-22} - 298,225
03. [WII] Just Dance Wii (Nintendo) {2011-10-13} - 226,014 / 653,888
04. [WII] Just Dance Wii 2 (Nintendo) {2012-07-26} - 223,628
05. [PS3] Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft) {2012-11-15} - 124,159

2012 Top 5 Budget Re-releases
01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 [PSP the Best] (Capcom) {2011-09-22} - 175,923 / 299,008
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [Best Price!] (Capcom) {2012-11-15} - 134,168
03. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories [Rockstar Classics] (Take-Two) {2011-07-21} - 70,121 / 111,949
04. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! No Maki [Minna no Osusume Selection] (Hudson) {2011-01-20} - 65,429 / 198,817
05. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [PSP the Best] (Konami) {2011-02-24} - 61,485 / 141,333

it3vBFM3snQSp.png

*Numbers are from pixel counting, so it's like within +/-30k margin of error.

Famitsu is still publishing the PS2 hardware numbers on the magazine:

2012-12-24 1019
2012-12-31 1293
2013-01-07 562

While the 1st year of a console doesn´t always reflect the whole console lifecycle, it would be interesting to know what you consider as likely PS4 launch titles and games that could release its first year. While PS3 launched with Wii at nearly the same time, like PSP and NDS did, it isn´t the case with PS4 to its direct competitor WiiU. The last and only time Sony launched late in Japan was with PSV and the know what happened.

3DS stole all the next gen third party stuff from the PSP, most notably MH. Hence, PSV was DOA. What was it going to compete with? Is the Wii U doing the same to the PS3? Where is FFXV, MGS5, Resident Evil, and the like on Wii U? Or how about more niche stuff like Ni No Kuni? Yakuza? These are the franchises that allowed PS3 to carve a niche in Japan this gen. So wherever that software goes next gen will determine how PS4 will do. Wii U releasing a year earlier is of absolutely no consequence in this situation, because Nintendo isn't doing a damn thing to take advantage of the head start, other than showing their ineptitude in actively getting third party support.

test_account

XP-39C²
Liberty City Stories selling nearly 112k in 2012 is a big surprise to me. That is nearly just as much as the first release did in 2007. What is the deal about that game now in 2012? Simply just many who missed out on it early on?

How much did original Peace walker do? Is it over million with that best edition?
No, it is at about 931k. If you count the PS3 version, it is at about 994k, just under a million. If digital sales excist for this game, then maybe it is above 1 million.

Top Bottom