• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Raises Eruption Alert for Volcano Near Nuclear Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://bloom.bg/1PdWvO1

Japan Raises Eruption Alert for Volcano Near Nuclear Plant
Japan raised an eruption warning for a volcano on the southern island of Kyushu to the second-highest level, days after restarting a nuclear reactor 50 kilometers (31 miles) away.

The Japan Meteorological Agency increased the alert level for the volcano Sakurajima to 4 from 3, advising people within 3 kilometers of the crater to prepare to evacuate. It detected multiple earthquakes in the area on Saturday, the agency said on its website.

Kyushu Electric Power Co. began bringing online the No. 1 reactor at its Sendai power station on Aug. 11, the first nuclear facility to restart in Japan under new safety rules implemented following the 2011 Fukushima disaster.

The area around the volcano had registered more than 800 tremors as of 2:15 p.m. local time, according to the meteorological agency’s website. Some 77 residents were advised to evacuate, and 24 had done so as of 3:50 p.m., the Fire and Disaster Management Agency said in a statement.

pRsd9W2.jpg

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
The government advised people within 3km to prepare to evacuate, and the nuclear plant is 50km away so I don't think it would be affected.

clav

I guessed Aso-san before clicking, but the volcano described is Sakurajima.

Visited both some summers ago.

The government advised people within 3km to prepare to evacuate, and the nuclear plant is 50km away so I don't think it would be affected.

Yeah considering the timeframe to build a nuclear power plant, engineers most likely calculated that risk factor.

There was a plethora of information on how to avert disaster when I last visited, so residents are already prepared or at least should be.

cameron

Kyushu Electric Power Co. began bringing online the No. 1 reactor at its Sendai power station on Aug. 11, the first nuclear facility to restart in Japan under new safety rules implemented following the 2011 Fukushima disaster.

Crappy timing. But they'll be alright.

Grimløck;175591884 said:
"hey, let's build a nuclear power plant by that volcano."

The Ring of Fire runs through Japan. There's always a volcano nearby.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
There's probably gonna be this one American engineer that's working there and he's going to be involved in a fatal incident directly influenced by the eruption. Then, after being kicked out of the place, he's going to spend at least a decade trying to figure out what really happened.

When he finally does realize the dire truth behind all this, he eagerly anticipates to become more involved within the thick of things. Unfortunately, he just dies prematurely instead.

Because nuclear plants are made out of cardboard.

If houses more than 3km away will be fine, a nuclear plant more than 50km will be fine. Sensationalist headline and thread title to say the least.

tkscz

While 31 miles doesn't sound that close to me, Japan needs to drop nuclear energy. Nature doesn't seem to want them using it.

rrvv

Volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunami's. Japan should not be using Nuclear plants.
Then don't have a choice really. Renewable energy still on early stage and cannot providing enough energy to heavy industries in Japan. They don't want relying on coal and oil because they have to import them.

There's probably gonna be this one American engineer that's working there and he's going to be involved in a fatal incident directly influenced by the eruption. Then, after being kicked out of the place, he's going to spend at least a decade trying to figure out what really happened.

When he finally does realize the dire truth behind all this, he eagerly anticipates to become more involved within the thick of things. Unfortunately, he just dies prematurely instead.

i understood that reference lol

clav

Then don't have a choice really. Renewable energy still on early stage and cannot providing enough energy to heavy industries in Japan. They don't want relying on coal and oil because they have to import them.

Taiwan has the same problem since residents fear another Fukushima disaster and protested against building one in development despite using the latest design. Construction stopped.

Branduil

Or invest in using salt reactors. Why they keep using the old versions are beyond me.

Ironically, anti-nuclear activists have probably helped contribute to nuclear power being less safe. It would be better to build newer, safer nuclear reactors and shut down the old ones than to prevent the building of new ones.

Bodacious

Banned
I was there about 6 weeks ago. Awesome place, Kagoshima. We rode a ferry boat out to the island (i.e. volcano), but there were clouds/fog around the summit so we couldn't really see the smoke like on a clear day. But the nuclear plant is 30 miles away so I don't think that's an issue.

GorillaJu

Seems like spreading FUD to include the info about the nuclear plant, but I guess that's a hot button issue so people are likely to pay attention to it.

DrFurbs

Isn't Germany almost run by renewable energy now. I read an article last week there entire country is now near 71% renewable.

Bravo.

Maximo

Thread just reminds me how shitty that godzilla movie was, thanks guys.

It it fucking needed to do was more Godzilla and more Brain, listened to a interview recently when he thought that was beyond stupid but they were so deep into story/production they kept with it.

joedan

The story was his then they left us with generic whats-his-face.

clav

Looks like eruption is guaranteed.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201508210033

KAGOSHIMA--A major eruption at Mount Sakurajima here appears more likely after scientists confirmed that volcanic discharge that now covers the mountain’s Showa vent has caused pressure to build up inside the mountain.

"The vent has almost been blocked up, and explosive power is increasing as a result of heightened pressure inside the vent,” said Masato Iguchi, the scientist who heads the Kyoto University’s Sakurajima Volcano Research Center. Iguchi joined the aerial survey undertaken by the Japan Meteorological Agency on Aug. 19 to study the situation.

The Asahi Shimbun conducted an aerial survey on the afternoon of Aug. 15. Reporters spotted eruptive products deposited at the vent. They also witnessed the discharge of volcanic gas.

clav

I guessed Aso-san before clicking, but the volcano described is Sakurajima.

Visited both some summers ago.

Yeah considering the timeframe to build a nuclear power plant, engineers most likely calculated that risk factor.

There was a plethora of information on how to avert disaster when I last visited, so residents are already prepared or at least should be.

Well looks like Aso-san erupted.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/14/us-japan-volcano-idUSKCN0RE02B20150914

That's because you know Generic White Action Movie Star #6 was the actual lead in the picture. I don't even remember his name now but you know GO US MILITARY RAH RAH and stuff cause he was like a Marine or something

Thread just reminds me how shitty that godzilla movie was, thanks guys.

It was actually a really good Godzilla movie
Which is way more than could be said for that shitty Roland Emmerich shitpile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom