• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan sharts: Media Create 6 - 12 Jun

Bebpo

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
When was the last time a PSP game was in the top 10?

I dunno, when was the last time a PSP game worth buying came out? Last game I got for the system was ToE and that was early March. Next games worth getting are Adventure Player (June 30th), Tenchi no Mon (sometime July), Tenchu (July 28th). Other than those weeks, don't expect to see any PSP in the charts or PSP HW sales go up.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
norinrad21 said:
The problem with games like K7 and the VJs is that these games should have been cube exclusives period. Those idiots at Capcom pretty much killed any long legs K7 and especially VJ2 would have had by releasing it on the PS2 also. People get confuse half of the time with games appearing on the same consoles at the same time.

K7 deserves to sell well and Capcom knows the GC fanbase is very hypersensitive to exclusives which is why VJ did so well in the first place, way to ruin a good thing you idiots
"GUYS I'M CONFUSED THIS GAME IS ON TWO SYSTEMS AT ONCE? ARGH I CAN'T BUY IT TOO CONFUSING! :("

Bebpo

Banned
The only reason you can make for Killer 7 being exclusive is that if it was exclusive it would have been released a year+ ago maybe at a time when there weren't so many big releases.

cvxfreak

What Capcom should have done was publish biohazard 4 and DMC3 with demos of this game. That's how DMC became popular.

mj1108

GhaleonEB said:
When was the last time a PSP game was in the top 10?

Last week:
4. PSP Gagharv Trilogy: A Drop of Scarlet - Bandai - 13,000 (NEW)

None until.....

April 18-April 24:
10. PSP Shutokou Battle - Genki - 29,000 (new)

March 28-April 3:
10. PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul - SCE - 10,000 (47,000)

March 21-March 27:
5. PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul - SCE - 37,000 (NEW)

March 14-March 20:
9. PSP Sarugetchu P! - SCE - 20,000
10. PSP Tales of Eternia - Namco - 20,000 - 131,000

March 7-March 13:
3 PSP Tales of Eternia Namco 30,489 111,139

That's a sample...but it seems like since Nintendo opened up a can of whoop-ass with Nintendogs, things just aren't going in Sony's favor...

Bebpo

Banned
mj1108 said:
That's a sample...but it seems like since Nintendo opened up a can of whoop-ass with Nintendogs, things just aren't going in Sony's favor...

Seriously Nintendo and the DS have very little influence on how the PSP software is doing. When no big games come out how can you expect the PSP software sales to be good? Sony is the only one shooting themselves in the foot here, no the DS; They released the system too early and developers just don't have any games near completion yet.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Bebpo said:
They released the system too early and developers just don't have any games near completion yet.

That's funny, people were saying the same thing about the DS about 3 months ago. :lol

I think the PSP's releases weren't spaced out enough. We hear a lot of how nintendo loves delaying titles just to space out their releases, and while it does get annoying at times, the PSP is a perfect example of what happens if you don't space out your releases, IMO.

Bebpo

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
That's funny, people were saying the same thing about the DS about 3 months ago. :lol

I think the PSP's releases weren't spaced out enough. We hear a lot of how nintendo loves delaying titles just to space out their releases, and while it does get annoying at times, the PSP is a perfect example of what happens if you don't space out your releases, IMO.

The difference is that 2 months before the DS launch developers knew when the system was launching and about when they needed games done. 2 months before the PSP launch developers were going WTF IT'S COMING OUT IN TWO MONTHS!?!?! and have been scrambling to get projects moving since. E3 showed the western PSP developers still didn't have their act together, TGS will be the last straw and show if the Japanese PSP developers have gotten a handle on PSP development...or not :\

GaimeGuy said:
"GUYS I'M CONFUSED THIS GAME IS ON TWO SYSTEMS AT ONCE? ARGH I CAN'T BUY IT TOO CONFUSING! :("

He's got a bit of a point, VJ got a strong push from Cube fans when it was a quirky, well-made brawler exclusive to the platform that may not have done as well in the US if media and fans hadn't gone out of their way to promote it. So Capcom, in thanking them, screwed them over with extra playable characters on the platform they _didn't_ buy it for, and announced a simultaneous release of a sequel on both the Cube and the PS2, the PS2 not "earning" it but getting it because it's industry standard and the largest potential userbase. (Even though VJ PS2 sales tanked.)

Killer 7 might've done just as poorly as a PS2 exclusive, but they could've milked the "surreal Cube exclusive" angle probably to better sales. Sony wouldn't even OK the game at first for US release, just because the art style was unique. (I'm getting sick of SCEA's picky opinion about the look of games, and how many games I've heard denied or delayed because they didn't fit the traditional mold.) But as it stands now, neither PS2 nor Cube fanboys are really energized about improving sales of the game.

Bebpo said:
Seriously Nintendo and the DS have very little influence on how the PSP software is doing. When no big games come out how can you expect the PSP software sales to be good? Sony is the only one shooting themselves in the foot here, no the DS; They released the system too early and developers just don't have any games near completion yet.

:lol :lol as much as I do Agree with you it still came out at me as a funny damage control

look at it this way if you take out all the DS games from the top 20 each week PSP software does much better no matter how shitty the software are...

So in reality DS Software is kicking the PSP's ASS period there is no other way to spin it. :)

CVXFREAK said:
What Capcom should have done was publish biohazard 4 and DMC3 with demos of this game. That's how DMC became popular.

Rationality and Capcom don't go together.

And DMC1 recieved A LOT of hype. Sure Code Veronica X did something, but it was mostly the hype and 9's and 10's across the review board.

You know, going off that (demo thing).

Capcom better put a shit load of demos on the PS2 version of RE4.

It's an rated M title. (so you have freedom to put any demo on there).

It should be more popular than not (anything over 300,000 is considered popular enough in my book).

And finally, Capcom only expected to sell 300,000 units worldwide for Killer 7.

I'd say they hit 50,000 combined in Japan with both versions.

And hitting 250,000 (with both versions) in Europe and NA isn't TOO far of a stretch. They will at the least SHIP that number which (to Capcom) is just as good as selling the actual unit.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Odnetnin said:
poorpsp.jpg
phatnintendoggs.jpg

Deku

Banned
Scrow said:

Lol.

As for the DS software advantage, the economics of the DS development is going to keep software coming for years to come. There's plenty of very good games on the PC side that can be handled with the DS hardware and benefit from the touchscreen that simply won't see the light of day on any other console.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Bebpo said:
Also a step towards fixing the Japanese market would be to STOP RELEASING SO MANY GAMES.

Every week in the US there's what, 2-5 games released? And that's in a country with a huge gaming population. Yet in Japan there are like 5-20 games released A WEEK and they cost $60-70 each and they're still in an economic slump.

I dunno, to me that seems like a disaster to failure. Imagine if only 1 SRPG/RPG came out a month; add up the sales for all the various ones on the chart and you'd have a good 500k-1million seller each month. There are just too many games released so most people have to choose some and skip others. After Namco x Capcom, Berwick, Gundam DS, Eternal Mana, Metal Saga, Brain DS...who the hell has money left to buy Killer 7?

If companies want to survive they should all cancel 50% of their projects and focus on 1 game every couple of months, rather than 1 or 2 a month.
Considering that total software sales are down to about 50% of what they were last year, your argument doesn't hold that much water. If it was just a matter of too many games then total software sales numbers wouldn't be were they are right now but instead those same numbers would be spread across all the games. Japanese people aren't just buying less of certain games, they're buying less of ALL games (non-games excluded ;) ).

Bebpo

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Considering that total software sales are down to about 50% of what they were last year, your argument doesn't hold that much water. If it was just a matter of too many games then total software sales numbers wouldn't be were they are right now but instead those same numbers would be spread across all the games. Japanese people aren't just buying less of certain games, they're buying less of ALL games (non-games excluded ;) ).

Yes they are buying less games total, but right now the market is in very bad shape and less games with higher sales would help keep it afloat for at least another few years.

If the sales continue to go down, I'd expect companies like Capcom and Namco to end up like Sega.

Ceb

CVXFREAK said:

You don't suppose it had anything to do with positive press, it being Capcom's first big PS2 exclusive, word of mouth, etc etc ?

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
If the sales continue to go down, I'd expect companies like Capcom and Namco to end up like Sega.
Namco seems to be faring better than Capcom, however. Even though Namco's games don't meet their ridiculous expectations, they still sell pretty well. Capcom, on the other hand, just make games that nobody wants. I think pretty soon Capcom will need financial help from another company, whether it's investment or buyout. I have no idea who would do it though.

cvxfreak

Ceb said:
You don't suppose it had anything to do with positive press, it being Capcom's first big PS2 exclusive, word of mouth, etc etc ?

Well, considering DMC's greater sales, clearly the positive press, slick advertising campaign, holiday season (US) and word of mouth helped the title. But there's also the demo with CVX, which was also heavily marketed. The impact is almost obvious.

CVXFREAK said:
Well, considering DMC's greater sales, clearly the positive press, slick advertising campaign, holiday season (US) and word of mouth helped the title. But there's also the demo with CVX, which was also heavily marketed. The impact is almost obvious.

But given that K7 has no mass appeal (unlike DMC), do you really think it'd help? It seemed like with K7 the more people got to know about how it played, the less they were interested in it. When the game was originally announced it was actually behind RE4 as the most anticiapted Capcom game, but as people got to know more about it the more anticipation for the game dropped.

cvxfreak

SolidSnakex said:
But given that K7 has no mass appeal (unlike DMC), do you really think it'd help? It seemed like with K7 the more people got to know about how it played, the less they were interested in it. When the game was originally announced it was actually behind RE4 as the most anticiapted Capcom game, but as people got to know more about it the more anticipation for the game dropped.

More than 11,000 worth of sales, sure, of course it would help.

That said, Dengeki figures are out and the GC version ranked at #20 with no sales numbers reported. They report the PS2 version at 15,000.

Fuzzy

I never noticed the "Poorpsp" in the background of that pic until a couple of days ago.

AniHawk

solarplexus said:
According to Dengeki the Gamecube version of Killer 7 placed only on 20th :(

So probably about 5,000-6,000 max.

Game's going to do under 40k for both systems combined there. Probably the same in Europe. They're going to have to hope it does relatively well on either system in NA to make up for it. 120k-140k shouldn't be too hard. SoAL managed that with no advertising.

Fuzzy

Deku said:
That was photoshopped
I should've been more clear. I never noticed the "poorpsp" in the background of that pic because I always assumed it was the original and never really looked at it.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Capcom are fucked in the US too. Well, sort of.

Aside from some big hitters like RE4 and DMC4, they've had awful sales these last couple of years. I can't remember the specific month, but sometime late last year every Capcom game except VJ2 was being outsold by Katamari Damacy! I don't think it was even KD's first month, and VJ2 was only about a 1000 above it.

And the Christmas before that was really poor for them as well, though I have no figures. I just remember being a bit shocked. They're starting to remind me of Sega, only there hasn't really been a drop in the quality of their products yet, thank god.

And of course, everyone can see from a mile off that VFX Battle and Okami are heading for the same bomb pile.

thorns

Banned
The japenese market needs to release fewer but higher quality titles as well as do multiplatform development and market their games better in the west. At this rate they're going for a crash.

Top Bottom