• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan sharts: Media Create 6 - 12 Jun

yeps... for a console with no games...

Sony should shut down all their projects and shift ALL their programers voluntarily to Konami and get WE ready ASAP.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Funnily enough, I'm not sure how happy Sony would be with PSPs selling but the games not. That would seem to indicate that people are buying them for other things than games, which is really no surprise given what else it can do, but given the huge losses Sony must face on each PSP, they surely need high game sales to claw their way into profitability.

Mama Smurf said:
Funnily enough, I'm not sure how happy Sony would be with PSPs selling but the games not. That would seem to indicate that people are buying them for other things than games, which is really no surprise given what else it can do, but given the huge losses Sony must face on each PSP, they surely need high game sales to claw their way into profitability,

Seems like this One Man Band approach is doing some harm after all.

bigbob_1.jpg

"PSP IS SEXY BABY SEXY!"

BuzzJive

Killer 7's numbers make PN03's 10,569 for it's first week look good. At least if they had left it as a cube exclusive, they could blame the cube userbase.

Bebpo

Banned
thorns said:
The japenese market needs to release fewer but higher quality titles as well as do multiplatform development and market their games better in the west. At this rate they're going for a crash.

Multiplatform costs more money and time; Japanese games don't really sell that well this generation on Xbox; and the GC userbase is fickle and doesn't tend to buy many non-Nintendo published games. Multiplatforming is good when you're doing well and want to broaden your market, but when your in trouble you should just be shooting the biggest platform userbase.

I agree that marketing better in the west would help though.

if I had the power, I'd scrap the XB for good, and let Sony and Nintendo co-develop a super sexy console.

then all gamers will have only ONE console to buy :D.

BuzzJive

So - what happens next week if the DS Easy Dictionary places top 5 - or heaven forbid - number 2? (with a Square Enix game coming out too, I don't think it can make number 1)

Jonnyram

Wow, according to 2ch's regular sales data guy:
Steamboy has a sell-through rate of less than 2%!
The GC version of Killer 7 sold about half the PS2 version.
Meteos has almost reached a total of 50k.
Lumines around 40k.
DS software total for the week 90k.
PSP software total about 21k.
DS Puyo Puyo 90k.
KimiShine 97k.
Pac Pix about 90k.

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
Multiplatform costs more money and time; Japanese games don't really sell that well this generation on Xbox; and the GC userbase is fickle and doesn't tend to buy many non-Nintendo published games. Multiplatforming is good when you're doing well and want to broaden your market, but when your in trouble you should just be shooting the biggest platform userbase.

I agree that marketing better in the west would help though.
Agreed, but I think thorn's multiplatform comment ties into western sales. No it doesn't make sense for a small specialized publisher like Nippon Ichi, Arika or IREM to divert resources to multiplatform R&D, but for larger publishres like Capcom, Konami or Namco (who's biggest games are now netting 60-80% of sales outside Japan) it doesn't make sense not to move into multiplatfrom development. Otherwise they'll never catch up to the western competition, and games like Metal Gear, Tekken or Devil May Cry won't have a hope of catching competitors like Splinetr Cell, Mortal Kombat or Prince of Persia. And it's not like these JP firms are low on resources either, Konami regularly pumps out over 100 games a year... yet they can't afford to spare the staff for some ports of MGS3-4? :/

BuzzJive said:
So - what happens next week if the DS Easy Dictionary places top 5 - or heaven forbid - number 2? (with a Square Enix game coming out too, I don't think it can make number 1)

lets hope not a dictionary doing that well is the end of gaming as we know it

heidern

This thread won't be the same without some Oogami analysis. Shame he was banned, I think his one week trend analysis of the portable market slowly crashing would have fit right in with the bleak tone.

The psp pain will only continue these few couple of weeks. This coming week sees Touch Dic as well as Caduceus. The following week sees Goemon and Famicom Wars. The week after sees budget bonanza with 3 Simple series games and the Brain Training type thing for kids. In contrast the psp gets an Eidos/Core Design puzzler this coming week, an fps and Bomberman spin off the next, and an improvement with a port of Jissen Pachislot, a play novel and Koei game the week after.

Smiles and Cries said:
lets hope not a dictionary doing that well is the end of gaming as we know it

First it was Nintendogs, then it was Brain Training and now the dictionary? Come now, stop being so stubborn, the end of gaming as we know it has already occured. You need to disown your exiled mentor Drinky and give yourself into the new era.

thorns

Banned
If you build a strong foundation, multiple platform r&d will only cost for the initial titles. Which shouldn't be trouble for big publishers who release many titles a year. PES 4 Xbox/PC for example was a big succes, it's a regular top 10 selling xbox title now. Or Soul Calibur 2.

If they want to compete with the big boys in the west (EA, Activision, Take 2) , then they have no other choice, especially next-gen.

Monorojo

Banned
wow how does PSP keep seeling? There hasnt been a big game released for it in months, just wait til they actually get something worth playing (looking at July) The sales are going to explode.

heidern said:
First it was Nintendogs, then it was Brain Training and now the dictionary? Come now, stop being so stubborn, the end of gaming as we know it has already occured. You need to disown your exiled mentor Drinky and give yourself into the new era.

"First of all Nintendogs is a GAME." -(tm)Drinky Puppy Club

A Dictionary is not a game :)

Yeah the PSP will explode up to 35,000. Which would be the highest it has been at for the last 2-3 months.

I think the DS sales will have a bump up to the low 40,000's when MMBN5: Twin Leaders comes out. Isn't that series really popular in Japan? Also the Naruto RPG game should do well. So I think both systems should do fairly well in late June, through July, and August.

The huge DS sales boost will come when Jump Super Stars comes out though. :)

Edit : Turok, I pretty sure Sengoku, Tenchu, and Tenchi are all coming out for the PSP. This will attract a big anime crowd out of hiding. There hasn't been all that many Anime related games yet for the PSP.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
God damn, I hate like hell to see Capcom bombing all over the damn world. They're one of my favorite developers.

EVERYONE BUY OKAMI PLZ!

human5892 said:
God damn, I hate like hell to see Capcom bombing all over the damn world. They're one of my favorite developers.

EVERYONE BUY OKAMI PLZ!

Is OKAMI that awesome wolf Gamecube game or should have been gamecube game that is only for PS2?

Let it bomb it would serve them right!

Thomper

Jonnyram said:
Wow, according to 2ch's regular sales data guy:
Steamboy has a sell-through rate of less than 2%!
The GC version of Killer 7 sold about half the PS2 version.
Meteos has almost reached a total of 50k.
Lumines around 40k.
DS software total for the week 90k.
DS Puyo Puyo 90k.
KimiShine 97k.
Pac Pix about 90k.
Steamboy a sell-through rate of 2%? That's bad. Somebody miscalculated the estimates. :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mama Smurf said:
Funnily enough, I'm not sure how happy Sony would be with PSPs selling but the games not. That would seem to indicate that people are buying them for other things than games, which is really no surprise given what else it can do, but given the huge losses Sony must face on each PSP, they surely need high game sales to claw their way into profitability.
Technology is only going to become more and more capable of handling multiple tasks effectively. When there's portable tech available that can play DC/PS2-esque games as well as playback digital audio and video content you're not going to put the genie back in the bottle and attempting to pretend the capability doesn't exist won't help either because somebody else will capitalize on it, one way or another. Companies tend to run into bigger problems when they don't embrace the natural pace of technological progress and try to hinder it in some way.

The PSP has potential to offer a number of different profit streams to Sony, not just on the basis of selling games. Its just a question of how well they embrace the full potential of the device they've created. Sony could probably be making a tidy profit on Memory Stick sales right now, if they only priced there's more competitively with Sandisk's offerings, for example. There's certainly a supply issue that Sandisk hasn't fully caught up with yet. There's UMDs, doing better than most people expected. There's any number of non-gaming apps that could be built to take advantage of the Wifi capability of the PSP through which they could offer subscription services for streaming audio/video, news and other premium downloads.

Did anyone actually expect Killer 7 to sell well? Look at the game! It looks awesome to hard-core gamers such as people on this forum, but anyone who isn't serious about gaming, is going to look at it, and laugh.

Capcom will get me to buy a copy of the game no matter what. 7/7 is coming.

Mama Smurf

Well it's going to be incredibly difficult to find out whether sales of those things are enough to be profitable...in fact, finding out sales in general or Sony's profit on things like that seems unlikely.

However it goes though, I can't imagine they could possibly be profitable if game sales stayed as they are. They won't I'm sure, but they really need some big hitters coming up soon.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
The PSP has potential to offer a number of different profit streams to Sony, not just on the basis of selling games. Its just a question of how well they embrace the full potential of the device they've created. Sony could probably be making a tidy profit on Memory Stick sales right now, if they only priced there's more competitively with Sandisk's offerings, for example. There's certainly a supply issue that Sandisk hasn't fully caught up with yet. There's UMDs, doing better than most people expected. There's any number of non-gaming apps that could be built to take advantage of the Wifi capability of the PSP through which they could offer subscription services for streaming audio/video, news and other premium downloads.
Sure, multiple revenue paths (PSP Game sames, UMD Video sales, MemoryStick Duo sales, Sony Connect content, etc) might be a boon for Sony Corp, but it doesn't seem to help SCEI all that much. And given they're shouldering the majority of costs and responsibility for this device, a low return on game sales can't be a good thing.... especially when they've got a new superconsole to launch in just under a year. I think it's clear things aren't going quite as Kutaragi expected.

Mama Smurf

This is only Japan of course. We should really give it at least until after this Christmas to see how things are going for both worldwide. That's plenty of time for both to have big games out there.

heidern

Stopsign said:
I pretty sure Sengoku, Tenchu, and Tenchi are all coming out for the PSP. This will attract a big anime crowd out of hiding. There hasn't been all that many Anime related games yet for the PSP.

Sengoku is a 2D shooter, it really won't have any impact. Tenchu and Tenchi(SCEI/Climax) should both do okay, but really at best I see them pulling numbers comparable to something like Bleach rather than something like Tales of Eternia hitting big numbers over 100K. It is also not as good as the DS line up for the month which includes Rockman EXE, Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto RPG as well as Yugioh, Oeundan and Pac'N'Roll.

It's also getting to the point of too little too late for the psp. This week is the lowest psp hardware week ever. There's not much point on hoping on these games which come out in the last week of July if psp sales drop further down towards 15K a week before then. I mean come on, a Brain Training non game for the DS in its fourth week has outsold the entire psp catalogue put together for the week by 50%.

BTW according to Dengeki hardware sales for the week were up 26.3% compared to this week last year but software sales were down 17.2%. Really, the portable market is doing fantastic but the home console market really is in decline.

Link316

Banned
BuzzJive said:
Killer 7's numbers make PN03's 10,569 for it's first week look good. At least if they had left it as a cube exclusive, they could blame the cube userbase.

they shouldn't complain, an extra 11K's better than nothing, it would've been much worse if they left it on the GC and just ended up with its 5-6K sales

jarrod said:
And it's not like these JP firms are low on resources either, Konami regularly pumps out over 100 games a year... yet they can't afford to spare the staff for some ports of MGS3-4? :/

It's not that they can't spare the staff, its that if the ports are done Kojima wants to do them to make sure they're right. But he's not going to interrupt development of other games to do that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mama Smurf said:
Well it's going to be incredibly difficult to find out whether sales of those things are enough to be profitable...in fact, finding out sales in general or Sony's profit on things like that seems unlikely.

However it goes though, I can't imagine they could possibly be profitable if game sales stayed as they are. They won't I'm sure, but they really need some big hitters coming up soon.
Sure, there are new challenges to address, but no company attempting to make money off the technology sector is going to be able to bury their head in the sand and hope to survive on a static business model based on the state of yesterday's technology for very long. By all accounts, that's the very cause of some of Sony's woes at the moment with dwindling marketshare in previously strong sectors for them such as television and portable audio, where they didn't keep up with the pace of change and how it affected business models.

jarrod said:
Sure, multiple revenue paths (PSP Game sames, UMD Video sales, MemoryStick Duo sales, Sony Connect content, etc) might be a boon for Sony Corp, but it doesn't seem to help SCEI all that much. And given they're shouldering the majority of costs and responsibility for this device, a low return on game sales can't be a good thing....especially when they've got a new superconsole to launch in just under a year. I think it's clear things aren't going quite as Kutaragi expected.
I guess if you assume that the rest of Sony Corp has a strictly parasitic relationship with SCEI that might be the case but aren't you the guy that typically likes to insinuate that Sony Corp is using some clever accounting to distribute some of SCEI's costs? ;)

Those multiple revenue paths also involve multiple advertising paths as well, advertising that SCEI doesn't have to pay for that might net additional PSP sales that in turn helps them to make a case to 3rd party game publishers. You get significantly greater visibility for the PSP this way and its all on SCE's head if they can't capitalize on that for their own ends.

I think its far from clear that things aren't going as Kutaragi expected. Look at any commentary by Kutaragi in at least the last 6-7 yrs and rarely will he mention Playstation without saying its more than just about games as well as discussing the implications of that approach.

HooDoo

Phoenix Dark said:
I told you guys last week that Killer 7 was going to bomb. Listen to me next time you hobos.

Coming out from nowhere, stating the obvious and yet asking for respect and attention. Right...

neo2046

Jonnyram said:
DS Puyo Puyo 90k.
KimiShine 97k.
Pac Pix about 90k.
to be honest, Sega and Namco should be very pleased
specially when they compare their DS to PS2 software sales
PSP....... each new PSP gamer purchases the machine with one game ? and no old gamer buy the games??

BuzzJive

Link316 said:
they shouldn't complain, an extra 11K's better than nothing, it would've been much worse if they left it on the GC and just ended up with its 5-6K sales

I doubt that the extra 11k in sales even comes close to making up for the resources they had to add to this project to release it on multiple platforms. It's also possible that those 11k would have purchased the cube version.

Monorojo

Banned
you people do know japan isnt the world, and in the US (a much bigger market) PSP software is killing DS?

To look at one market and completely ignore the other is like living in the dark.

milanbaros

Member?
Monorojo said:
you people do know japan isnt the world, and in the US (a much bigger market) PSP software is killing DS?

To look at one market and completely ignore the other is like living in the dark.

IAWTP, it isn't like the 2 markets are even in the same league anymore especially in software now as well. It used to be that the tie ratios were unbelievable in Japan but they have fallen now. The US is the main market now but the japanese market is so readily viewable in chart form.

Well...okay DS is kicking PSP's butt in EU...it's not out yet...but it should have been...imo the PSP is never gonna catch up there. So it's Jap and EU in the pocket and USA close....

No where near the DS killing most of the people said would happen when PSP would come.
Sony really fucked up with marketing and placing the PSP in the market.

OptimusPrime said:
Well...okay DS is kicking PSP's butt in EU...it's not out yet...but it should have been...imo the PSP is never gonna catch up there. So it's Jap and EU in the pocket and USA close....

Given that Europe is basically Sony's playground, it's a bit crazy to write them off before they even launch there.

£180 isn't a big ask in the UK that's for sure. I know lots of people interested. DS will be at least a million ahead in Europe though. In fact it's probably beyond that already and it's got another 2 and a half months lead left before PSP starts at zero.

Having said that, the PSP price will look strong even if we are still paying over the odds. HMV have leaflets out listing 15 reasons why it rules and one of them makes it sound like you can play your DVDs on it without even having a computer to convert them with... dodgy tactic, but it'll work. And weren't Sony promising 40 titles for launch? After a pitiful DS launch here, PSP will look strong in that regard too.

I do think Xbox 360 is going to put a dent in PSPs promise though if it arives on time. If Mario Kart DS is marketed properly regarding online play, and the games hitting Japan and the US in recent months get the same acclaim here then that could be good for DS too. As we head towards Christmas a lower Nintendo DS price point is likely.

Gameboy Advance should be getting more affordable this year too.

G4life98

milanbaros said:
IAWTP, it isn't like the 2 markets are even in the same league anymore especially in software now as well. It used to be that the tie ratios were unbelievable in Japan but they have fallen now. The US is the main market now but the japanese market is so readily viewable in chart form.

But the problem with this line of thinking is that if the psp loses japan to the ds and in turn loses the japanese devs, it will lose the war no matter how good it does in the U.S market.

In april it was at the 650.000 mark, now we all have vacations here so people go to other countries and buy portables. The PSP will be released here in September 800.000 - 1 milj DS's should will it be...that's what I think.

BuzzJive

Monorojo said:

First of all - this is a Japan sales thread.

Secondly - PSP software is not "killing" DS in the US. What are you basing this on? Lets wait for the May NPD - and if you want to be reasonable, June and July - before we start stating factual PSP US trends.

To make predictions about the US market with as little data as we have is "like living in the dark".

OptimusPrime said:
If they are 800.000 - 1 milj behind, the gap will never be closed it's just like in JAP. It's their own fault.

Wasn't there that kind of gap between the PSP and DS in the US? That didn't seem to automatically doom it.

Top Bottom