• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese department store asks menstruating staff to wear 'period badges'

Bullet Club

Banned
Japanese department store asks menstruating staff to wear 'period badges'

uHxaUHJ.jpg

A Japanese department store has been slammed over its controversial plan to encourage female employees to wear 'period badges' when menstruating.

The Daimaru Umeda department store in Osaka claims the badge aimed to boost culture and foster sympathy among co-workers, not trigger a public outcry.

The badge, which would be worn alongside the employee's name tag, features a manga character named 'Seiri-Chan', which loosely translates to 'Little Miss Period'.

One Twitter user said it would be "creepy" to know a sales assistant was on their period.

While another woman labelled the badges "crazy".

One woman went as far as saying "there is absolutely no need to expose" this information, comparing it to "saying I am doing diarrhoea now".

Reconsidering

A male executive, who declined to be named, said the company had received many complaints from the public.

"Some of them concerned harassment, and that was definitely not our intention," he said.

The department store is now "reconsidering" the idea following the backlash.

The Daimaru executive said the store had not intended to make the badge compulsory, instead giving employees the option to wear a badge during that time of the month.

Latest launch

The badge was proposed as part of Daimaru Umeda's "new store zone" which launched on November 22 in collaboration with a cycle-tracking app, Luna Luna, according to local media WWD Japan.

The store section focuses on women's sexuality and menstrual health by selling lingerie, sanitary products, herbal medicine and bedding for menstruating women.

Source: 7News

JordanN

Banned
Someone took Leviticus 15:19-33 seriously.

"19 “‘When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

20 “‘Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Anyone who touches her bed will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 22 Anyone who touches anything she sits on will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, they will be unclean till evening."

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned

"19 “‘When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

20 “‘Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Anyone who touches her bed will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 22 Anyone who touches anything she sits on will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, they will be unclean till evening."
That’s why I lick it all up

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I've found that Japanese people have no problems talking about medical issues openly and directly. It might be a cultural thing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wait, but this was in a store that specifically sells stuff for menstruation, right? So it's not like a scarlet letter, more of a "hey, I know EXACTLY how you are feeling right now" kinda thing?

Like when I go to a sex shop and the pale, malnourished, neckbearded guy behind the counter has a "I masturbate" badge, that way I know his recommendations for pelvic molds are the voice of experience!

This is as bad as the "Period" Calander my bosses used to do for their Female Employees! (they don't do that now thankfully).

Absolutely outrageous. Next thing you know Otakus will be wearing Badges to state that they are Shut In Virgins because it's Japan.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Kind of a precursor to those useless baby on board stickers.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Crazy ass book. I was raised Chatolic and I can’t believe we were all drinking that kool-aid.

Birdo

Banned
I worked with a woman that was unberable at that time of the month. Could have done with these back then, so I could avoid her.

Fbh

I don't know what weirder, the idea of this badge as a whole or that japan made a "something-chan" that isn't a cute anime girl

Cha

Yeeeeah....Asking employees to wear a period badge is a dick move.
I quite dig seiri-chan though. Language may be a barrier, but I urge you guys to check out her webcomics if they're published outside LunaLuna app. She even had a movie out this year.

Top Bottom