• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Bezos now worth $150 Billion

dolabla

Man, I can't even imagine having THAT much money:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-jeff-amazon-ceo-s-net-worth-tops-150-billion

Jeff Bezos is the richest person in modern history.

The Amazon.com Inc. founder’s net worth cracked $150 billion in New York on Monday, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. That’s about $55 billion more than Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates, the world’s second-richest person.

Bezos, 54, also has topped Gates in inflation-adjusted terms. The $100 billion mark that Gates hit briefly in 1999 at the height of the dot-com boom would be worth about $149 billion in today’s dollars. That makes the Amazon chief executive officer richer than anyone else on earth since at least 1982, when Forbes published its inaugural wealth ranking.

Bezos crossed the threshold as Amazon was preparing to kick off its 36-hour summer sales event, Prime Day, which got off to a rocky start as glitches struck the firm’s website and mobile app.

I like this old 60 minutes interview on Amazon:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I remember my first exposure to Bezos being a Taco Bell commercial. Crazy to think about him doing something like that nowadays.

EDIT:

and now I'm hungry

Last edited:

NickFire

Please remember this when you read any WaPo articles that suggest progressive politics are the way to go. Their owner is richest guy out there, and has put more people out of work than any other living person I can think of in the US. He is the exact opposite of what they push in my opinion. It really begs the question - have their editors really bought into their political narrative, or are they just trying to discredit the one guy who could probably go after Amazon for monopoly like practices?

Please remember this when you read any WaPo articles that suggest progressive politics are the way to go. Their owner is richest guy out there, and has put more people out of work than any other living person I can think of in the US. He is the exact opposite of what they push in my opinion. It really begs the question - have their editors really bought into their political narrative, or are they just trying to discredit the one guy who could probably go after Amazon for monopoly like practices?

Yeah and they're the same people who call Elon Musk literal satan.

LordPezix

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But, sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell." - Thorin Oakenshield

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But, sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell." - Thorin Oakenshield

What are you doing? This is like people protesting Trump and using Voldemort

Thorin is pretty kickass but dude, just chill with the fictional characters as reference points.

LordPezix

What are you doing? This is like people protesting Trump and using Voldemort

Thorin is pretty kickass but dude, just chill with the fictional characters as reference points.

It is a comment on the infatuation with society to value the amount of wealth a person holds as spectacular.

The reemergence of a topic doesn't necessarily demand new dialogue as what was said in the past on the matter may still be relevant.

And I will continue to comment on this forum in manner which I see fit until told by a moderator otherwise. Thank you.

cryptoadam

Banned
I am not going to hate on Bezos for being so rich, good on him we all wish we had his money.

But this should start raising some red flags in regards to Amazon and the hold it has especially in the USA. I think I read somewhere that 50% of american shopping is done on Amazon now.

If half of all consumer activity is being done on Amazon its getting very close to a monopoly. As cheap and convinent Amazon is I don't think you want one company that controls 50% of you commercial business across all sectors.

Drake

I always said if I magically acquired 500k I could live the rest of my life very comfortably. I'd buy a 250k house (which is my area if VERY nice), put the rest in savings and work a low stress job that pays 30-35k a year. I can't even imagine the level of wealth that Bezos has. Seriously, if I had as much money as him, I'd cash out, and elminate any stress for the rest of my life .

It is a comment on the infatuation with society to value the amount of wealth a person holds as spectacular.

The reemergence of a topic doesn't necessarily demand new dialogue as what was said in the past on the matter may still be relevant.

And I will continue to comment on this forum in manner which I see fit until told by a moderator otherwise. Thank you.

“Fool of a Took!" he growled. "This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance.” Gandhi Skywalker

On a side note can someone check the numbers? Does Netflix really make a billion dollars a month?

During the fiscal years ended December 31, 2016, 2015 and 2014, Netflix averaged $15.6 million, $10.2 million and $22.2 million, respectively, in net earnings per month.

Over that three-year period, that comes out to about $16.0 million per month, on average.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-Netflix-make-in-profit-on-a-monthly-basis

Thats a big gap between 2014 and 2018 but i have doubts it went from 16M to 1B

Last edited:
I am not going to hate on Bezos for being so rich, good on him we all wish we had his money.

But this should start raising some red flags in regards to Amazon and the hold it has especially in the USA. I think I read somewhere that 50% of american shopping is done on Amazon now.

If half of all consumer activity is being done on Amazon its getting very close to a monopoly. As cheap and convinent Amazon is I don't think you want one company that controls 50% of you commercial business across all sectors.
It's 50% of online shopping, which is only about 5% of all retail sales (not counting food). It's still huge but nowhere near a monopoly.

Drake

On a side note can someone check the numbers? Does Netflix really make a billion dollars a month?

Did a quick search and their total revenue was like $11.6 billion for 2017, so yeah pretty close. That said this is total revenue not profit. Netflix overhead has be insanely high.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't even imagine the level of wealth that Bezos has. Seriously, if I had as much money as him, I'd cash out, and elminate any stress for the rest of my life .
So would I, but that desire and that mentality is probably a major reason why we'll never be rich.

Top Bottom