• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Sneider: HBO 'The Last of Us' Season 2 Eyes Kaitlyn Dever for Abby

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
licensed-image

https://www.theinsneider.com/p/last-of-us-abby-kaitlyn-dever-season-2-ferrari-movie-review

Druckmann has previously said that for the role of Ellie, they needed somebody who could be "tough and vulnerable and wise beyond their years, and also have a potential for violence." Dever came oh-so-close to winning that role, so it makes sense that she'd be back in the mix for Abby, as Gamerant says "The two women are actually extremely similar."

Dever also happens to be one of the 71 people Mazin currently follows on Instagram.

Sources say that Dever is poised to win the role on the strength of her bravura silent turn in Brian Duffield's alien invasion movie No One Will Save You, which premiered on Hulu earlier this year.

Apparently this dude is pretty spot on, the fact that Mazin follows her, and she was super close to being Ellie probably means its true. Dont know much about her, but Im about to watch No One Will Save You as we speak.

Either way, they nailed the casting for Season 1 - Ellie especially was fantastic. I trust their judgement more than the internet know it alls.
unbelievable_101_unit_01125r-2000-9fff637ff3804201841ec3337fa4d870.jpg

Edit: I have seen her in a few things, she's great. Good casting

Last edited:
wonder if she will need to get jacked for the role...
Considering that there will be more than 2 seasons I think she will play a younger Abby. Maybe I'm wrong though. If she's playing older Abby then that means they're taking things in a very new and different direction, to which people who hated TLoU 2 and Abby should be excited about that possibility.

Apparently this dude is pretty spot on, the fact that Mazin follows her, and she was super close to being Ellie probably means its true. Dont know much about her, but Im about to watch No One Will Save You as we speak.

Either way, they nailed the casting for Season 1 - Ellie especially was fantastic. I trust their judgement more than the internet know it alls.

You know, I'm starting to see it:

HtTgni6.jpg

HoodWinked

ya i recognized her picture from the Tim Allen sitcom, Last Man Standing

if no one knew about either franchises would probably think they're related.

Last Man Standing
Last of Us

Corian33

I hope they don’t even attempt anything near the muscles of game Abby. I honestly enjoyed her character and sections. But those arms were immersion breaking all by themselves. She could be a third that ripped and still be “buff.”

Aces High

wonder if she will need to get jacked for the role...
Jacked Abby was the most stupid and unrealistic thing to begin with.

Men have orders of magnitudes higher testosterone levels than women and they still have to put in hard hypertrophic work to get jacked.

In a zombie apocalypse you don't have access to high amounts of food. You can't grow muscles without a regular caloric surplus, though.

If you go for that realistic apocalyptic setting, a girl that looks jacked like a female bodybuilder on roids is just bad writing. That she's dominating other men who have orders of magnitudes higher strength levels (even 70+ yo men have on average much higher strength than 25 yo women) makes it even more ridiculous.

I still wonder what Druckman was smoking. You have this ultra authentic and emotional masterpiece that is TLOU1. And then you have TLOU2 which is complete rubbish in terms of characters, writing, direction.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Jacked Abby was the most stupid and unrealistic thing to begin with.

Men have orders of magnitudes higher testosterone levels than women and they still have to put in hard hypertrophic work to get jacked.

In a zombie apocalypse you don't have access to high amounts of food. You can't grow muscles without a regular caloric surplus, though.

If you go for that realistic apocalyptic setting, a girl that looks jacked like a female bodybuilder on roids is just bad writing. That she's dominating other men who have orders of magnitudes higher strength levels (even 70+ yo men have on average much higher strength than 25 yo women) makes it even more ridiculous.

I still wonder what Druckman was smoking. You have this ultra authentic and emotional masterpiece that is TLOU1. And then you have TLOU2 which is complete rubbish in terms of characters, writing, direction.

I don't know why people complain about things being "unrealistic" when infected are roaming the world in the game. You also have overweight people in the world. Even Joel would have shown signs of malnourishment. Also, Ellie performing surgery on Joel would have been nearly impossible.

They could've picked her for Ellie.
Should have been Ellie in season 1.
Well, she should have been ellie based on her looks.
She would have been a better Ellie than the current actress, imo.
What if this is an insanely smart chess move to pick the better/cuter looking actress as Abby so that the intent is for the audience to empathize with and like Abby more?

Moses85

licensed-image

So lets go to the
gym going hard GIF

24/7

StueyDuck

She's a good actor. Get ready for that sex scene 🤣

I wonder If they are changing her character a little because she isn't built like an ox normally (shame if they make her do that cause she's quite pretty,)

On a side note, after all these years I finally caught up on the show Colony, and yo, season 03 Josh Holloway is Joel.... shoulda been him

Last edited:

Aces High

Always this same bullshit lol
Okay let's say Abby has access to high quality sources of food so she can stick to her perfectly balanced fitness diet for years.

Eating and training don't lead to muscle growth. The equation goes eating + training + rest = muscle growth.

The zombie Apocalypse is not the perfect place to keep your stress levels low in order to get 8 hours of sleep every night.

Growing muscles requires you to stimulate your muscle fibres to failure. Let's say she does pullups to reach a higher place. And she has, for whatever reason, to do so many pullups in a short amount of time (less than 10 secs between pullups), that she creates a hypertrophic stimulus in her back and biceps muscles. The moment she keeps going on and puts more stress on her biceps and back, she will not grow any muscle because the muscle protein breakdown is too severe. "Going on" here even means the next day.

If you sprint away from a zombie and you do so, for whatever reason, in a HIIT training style and get proper rest (48-72 hours) afterwards, you will grow muscles in your legs. But if you do it everyday without steroids, you will not grow muscles. You will lose them.

You can't grow muscles without getting fatter. Even with steroids it's almost impossible for men who have a much higher anabolic potential. So in order to become jacked Abby, she would have to go through multiple cycles of bulking (caloric surplus) and cutting (caloric deficit). These fitness cycles are unnatural. They are a dumb thing to do as they put you in a big disadvantage for survival. During a bulk, Abby would have reduced cardiovascular performance and overall fitness. During a cut, Abby would have reduced regeneration capabilities, much higher stress levels and less peak physical and mental performance. Putting yourself through this just to be remembered as jacked Abby is stupid.

Also keep in mind that the female body can't endure as much stress as the male body. While the female body has great advantages like a premium immune system with surplus capacities for cases of pregnancy, it reacts really badly to high levels of physical stress. Women need more regeneration than men. If you see a woman with abs, you can bet your ass that she sacrificed her period to look like this. The female body is not built to work under low bodyfat levels and many female fitness models use steroids like Anavar and plastic surgery to reach their low bodyfat looks.

In a zombie apocalypse, no one would be jacked. Not even the males. Everyone would look like a marathon runner because that's what long term physical and mental stress does to your body.

The stupid thing about Abby is, that even if she has access to high quality food, in order to make this crap work, she would have to have this access exclusively. She looks like She-Hulk while everyone else is just normal? Sorry but that's shitty writing. TLOU2 is shitty writing.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The stupid thing about Abby is, that even if she has access to high quality food, in order to make this crap work, she would have to have this access exclusively. She looks like She-Hulk while everyone else is just normal? Sorry but that's shitty writing. TLOU2 is shitty writing.

You clearly don't know how creative writing and character design work.

Writers don't stick to realistic real-world scenarios/logic. That's the entire point of fictional writing. Abby was designed to be an intimidating presence as an "antagonist" to Ellie. Her gameplay design as a "brute" character was centered around her physical appearance, and this is very common in character design.

This is why all the physically strong female characters in video games and movies are typically masculine and/or tall.

Xtib81

My issue is more related to the actress who Plays Ellie, she definitely looks more 14yo than 19. Idk how she can be convincing for Season 2.

VulcanRaven

I haven't seen her in anything but she could be a great choice. Of course she needs gym training but she doesn't have to be as muscular as Abby is in the game. Maybe something like Sarah Connor in T2 would be enough:

$_1.JPG

Last edited:

Aces High

You clearly don't know how creative writing and character design work.

Writers don't stick to realistic real-world scenarios/logic. That's the entire point of fictional writing. Abby was designed to be an intimidating presence as an "antagonist" to Ellie. Her gameplay design as a "brute" character was centered around her physical appearance, and this is very common in character design.

This is why all the physically strong female characters in video games and movies are typically masculine and/or tall.
TLOU1 is one of the best video games of all time because it is, in my opinion, the best written video game ever.

The writing is so outstanding because it never sacrifices realism for the sake of sociocultural extravaganza. And the fact that it's so realistic is the reason why the player can connect so deeply with the characters.

Ellie is physically weaker than her enemies in part 1. It's one of the key themes of the game. The moment Joel nearly dies in the university scene puts weak Ellie into control. Because the game is so well written, the player identifies as Ellie's caretaker by that point. The player does not fear for Joels health even though Joel is severely injured. The player fears for Ellies safety because now she's on her own against the bad guys. It's an amazing achievement in psychological writing.

Part 2 is shit. She-Hulk Abby is so fake and unrealistic, that a halfway-intelligent person won't take her seriously. TLOU2 is comic book level of writing.

GymWolf

Good actress but way too small, she was an almost perfect ellie tho.

They really like to shit the bed with some of the casting uh?!

Good actress but way too small, she was an almost perfect ellie tho.

They really like to shit the bed with some of the casting uh?!
Yeah, I agree. I don't think the casting was outright bad, just that it could have been better. I'm really interested what they'll do with Season 2. I didn't care for Joel in the show nearly as much as I grew to like him in the game, but then TLoU2 kind of just killed all adulation I had for the series. I just didn't care anymore. I'm curious if they are gonna try and stay on those plot threads or move on to something... less divisive.

GymWolf

Yeah, I agree. I don't think the casting was outright bad, just that it could have been better. I'm really interested what they'll do with Season 2. I didn't care for Joel in the show nearly as much as I grew to like him in the game, but then TLoU2 kind of just killed all adulation I had for the series. I just didn't care anymore. I'm curious if they are gonna try and stay on those plot threads or move on to something... less divisive.
Her as abby is still 10x times better than forehead as ellie.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOU1 is one of the best video games of all time because it is, in my opinion, the best written video game ever.

The writing is so outstanding because it never sacrifices realism for the sake of sociocultural extravaganza. And the fact that it's so realistic is the reason why the player can connect so deeply with the characters.
Joel would have bled out.
Ellie performing surgery is nearly impossible.
infected are the most unrealistic thing in the game.

I don't know what you're talking about because there are MANY unrealistic things in the game.
Ellie is physically weaker than her enemies in part 1. It's one of the key themes of the game. The moment Joel nearly dies in the university scene puts weak Ellie into control. Because the game is so well written, the player identifies as Ellie's caretaker by that point. The player does not fear for Joels health even though Joel is severely injured. The player fears for Ellies safety because now she's on her own against the bad guys. It's an amazing achievement in psychological writing.
Makes no sense. You're excusing unrealistic things in the first game because you prefer the story.

Unrealistic is unrealistic. Infected are not possible. Joel would have died and Ellie could not have performed surgery, especially with no knowledge. There's a medical expert who states that Joel would have died and what Ellie did was impossible.

Part 2 is shit. She-Hulk Abby is so fake and unrealistic, that a halfway-intelligent person won't take her seriously. TLOU2 is comic book level of writing.
What's more believable? Infected or a masculine woman?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Horrible casting for season 1, specially ellie.
.. coudnt watch more than 2 episodes, sorry but casting right matter and similarity to the original source is a big part of it .. so fuck it .. cast Stallone as Abby for all I care, never intended to see season 2 anyway and "relive" that horrible pos story again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom